Go Back   Orlando Love > Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction > Challenges

Old September 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
besotted with buttons

Three Word Challenge- Moon, Mountain, Farmer- General

graphic by Krazymoonkat

All good things come to those that wait..so they say!

ANNOUNCING A NEW 3 WORD CHALLENGE
for those that want to play
The challenge is to write a short story, poem or fan fic that contains these three words.
Moon Mountain Farmer
No particular order nor context- let your imagination fly!

Writers are reminded to read the guidelines for fiction here but expressly reminded that we do not accept Real Person Fiction here- ie no Orlando!
All submissions should have a header and be rated to suit this forum (if you have an inspiration for something more racey please post in the Mature Section)
Thank you

Have fun

Last edited by nuit; September 16th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Krazy for the Elf

I have one or two ideas amoungst the cob webs. Not sure if they will fall into this area or the mature area yet.....or maybe both.
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
besotted with buttons

Great Kat- yeah me too, some little seeds of ideas. Better get the watering can out!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Dreamer

Great Graphic Kat - gave me a real laugh!!

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Fab graphic Kat!

I already have an idea for this too...

Looking forward to reading lots of stories here!

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Title: Knights in Armour
Author: Gem
Rating: general
Category: Ned Kelly (now there's a surprise...)
Disclaimer: No disrespect is intended and this is all a product of my imagination.
Warnings: mild language, drug reference
Summary: Through the summer of 1879-1880 the Kelly Gang, who had been outlawed in November 1878, were getting ready for a final confrontation with the Victoria Police (which took place at Glenrowan on 28 June 1880), for which purpose they had decided to make each member of the Gang a suit of armour from plough mould boards. This is a story of one night when Joe Byrne is collecting some of them from a sympathiser.

Fabulous banner by the lovely Krazymoonkat

The moon hung low in the sky, touching the top of Morgan’s Lookout and lighting up the night. Despite the lateness of the hour, the air was still heavy with summer heat, the night sounds drowned out by a chorus of cicadas. Joe sat motionless in the saddle, deep under the shadow of the gum trees, waiting. Eventually the call of a mopoke sounded from nearby and not long after he had responded to it, a figure appeared from the trees, leading a packhorse.

“Any trouble?”

“Sent the traps on a wild goose chase, they won’t bother yer. Charlie here is fine with the load, got another five for yer. There’s some that are askin’ questions mind, where all the ploughs are disappearin’ to. Perhaps look elsewhere if yer need still more, yeah?”

The man passed the bridle to Joe and they shook hands.

“Thanks Paddy. We appreciate all your help.”

“Good luck with it all. Yer know we’re all behind you boys here.”

Paddy slipped back into the shadows and with the faintest pressure of his thigh Joe turned Music around, clicked his tongue to the packhorse and set off back in the direction he had come from a little earlier. With the packhorse the going was a lot slower but he didn’t mind, Music knew the way and he was happy for her to pick her own pace through the bush. He let his thoughts wander while remaining alert to any sound that was out of place in the dark bush around him.

Knights in armour, Ned had said. Invincible. Joe couldn’t quite see it that way. He had a bad feeling about the whole business and how it would end but he was well aware that there was no turning back now. Not for any of them. He wasn’t planning on spending the rest of his life in gaol and that didn’t leave too many other alternatives. Confront the coppers once and for all, gamble on all or nothing and die trying, not with a noose around his neck.

Only a year ago his life had been so different, full of hope and dreams for the future. And then three coppers died at Stringybark Creek and everything changed in an instant and he had to change too. He became an outlaw with a price on his head, hunted like an animal. Bloody Fitpatrick with his lies had set the first stone rolling, it had gathered momentum and now the whole mountain was about to crash down on them all. He tried to believe in the better future Ned was always going on about but it was getting harder and harder. The whiskey and opium helped him make it from one day to the next and the women he held in his arms gave him comfort, but nothing quite touched his heart anymore.

“Joe! Didn’t expect yer back so soon. No trouble then?”

“The traps had business elsewhere it seems so I didn’t need to pass myself off as a farmer off to do some ploughin’. Take care of Charlie and his load will yer, I’ll see to Music and go fer a dip in the creek, am sweatin’ like a pig.”

The cold water was soothing against his hot skin as he waded into the creek and found a deeper spot where he could submerge himself. He stayed under water until his lungs were about to burst and then floated on the surface, looking up at the stars and trying to empty his mind of all thought. For a while he became one with the night around him, and when he strode out of the water there was renewed determination in his steps. A man can but follow his destiny.

Last edited by GeminiGirl; October 3rd, 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM
besotted with buttons

Fabulous Gem! Love it love it- well not a chance that I wouldn't but you know what I mean! Really liked the little touch of his thigh against Music, the lungs about to burst and the quietness of it all. The quiet conversation that has all this understanding behind it. Just perfect.

Quote:
I didn’t need to pass myself off as a farmer off to do some ploughin’
Can see the grin on Joe's face as he speaks!

Great start to the chellenge too- thanks for that

Last edited by nuit; September 21st, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM
Dreamer

That dip in the creek - was just sitting reading that over and over. Ritual cleansing and all that coming to mind. The destiny making me feel unbearably sad.

Great way to start the challenge Gem

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Thank you Nuit and Ki. I'm so glad you liked it. Feels wonderful to be writing again.

~Gem~

Old September 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Aint no other man but you

Very good Gem! I love the way you guys write Joe, the way he feels and speaks. You know him so well.

I was thinking this challenge was going to inspire a Joe story or two. Although, I can see Balian in this challenge too. I look forward to reading more of what these words inspire.

Gorgeous signature by my friend Erendira
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

Thanks CD. To be honest, just about anything can inspire a Joe story for me and I think for some other people I know as well...

Luna is not back till Wednesday I think so we might have to wait for the Balian story perhaps but I'm looking forward to more entries too!

~Gem~

Old September 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Adoring

Bravo!!!
I was hoping there would be a Joe story in here and what a perfect gem of a story it is, too, Gem!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

Thank you Kalliope, I'm glad you liked it.

~Gem~

Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Alive...and kicking

Oooh Gem...what a beautiful,touching little story...just the thought of that gorgeous man emerging from fresh water,his curls shining under the moonlight...alone with his thoughts,full of determination...sigh...love that you're killing me in that way...
Thanks a lot,dear...

Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
In Love

Loved the opening description of the hot night, really evocative. And the slow picking back. And the sweating at the end too, as it happens. Thoughtful and real, thank you!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:57 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Thanks Lola and FLC.

~Gem~

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:33 AM
Krazy for the Elf

A wonderful start to the challenge, Gem! I love how it makes a person realize beyond the movie...even if it is your imagination, it makes them real.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
Krazy for the Elf

Title: Unconditional
Author: Krazymoonkat
Disclaimer: 100% made up.
Category: Original Work
Type: drama
Rating: G
Characters: All OC
Warnings: N/A unless you count rambling on to the point of causing extreme boredom needed as a warning....sorry it's a bit long. Oh yeah, I should mention..punctuation, grammer, spelling, pharagrah struckture and all that other fun stuff are not my strongest points.
Brief Summary: A story about how innocently thing can start to get out of hand and the meaning of unconditional love....darn, gave away the whole plot!

“Dad, I’m just not sure....” I said, as I juggled the phone on my shoulder to get a pen out of my purse.

There was a long pause on the other end.

“Are you ashamed of us? Ashamed of being a farmer’s daughter?”

“No, Dad it’s not that....I....I’m just...” The phone began to crackle “Dad? Dad?” then went dead.

I sat there staring at the dead phone, the pen I was searching for long forgotten. What was I going to say anyway? ‘No Dad it’s not you. The daughter you love so much has been lying to you for a year. Just a small lie though’ Yeah, just a small lie that that has turned into one ugly, messy ball of deceit.

As far as Mom and Dad were concerned my life was perfect. I had a great job, a great condo and a great guy. HA! How much farther from reality could I get?

I came out to Toronto to attend U of T. The money my parents put out for my tuition was money that had been scrimped and saved for years. They must have gone without many times, just to make sure I would have it. Luckily, I was able to get a partial scholarship to help with some of the costs. Mom and Dad were so proud of me the day I got my acceptance letter.....but right now, all I can picture is the disappointment in their eyes.

It all started out innocent enough. I was fresh out of University, résumé in hand, ready to battle the world. I had a small, clean apartment, in a safe area of town with a friend from school. Each Sunday I would phone home to tell them about my week.

Weeks went, by and none of my résumés were getting any attention. I did get a couple of interviews, but nothing serious. The disappointment in my Dads voice started to ring loud in my ears. Mom started saying “Come home, Dear.” I felt I had failed them....all the saving and scrimping for not.

My roommate had found a job and a husband to boot! She had packed up and moved on. The small bit of money I did earn as a waitress was not enough to cover the rent on the apartment. I ended up moving to a less favorable part of town at that point. Something that I could not bring myself to mention to them. Instead, I got a cell phone and told them it was the ”new thing” to not have a land line.

At some point, I told them about an interview that had promise. The hope that came to my Dad’s voice was just enough to make him believe on the next call home that I had gotten the really great, well paying job. No longer did I need to balance mountains of plates and serve cranky people their meals.

Always my Mom would ask when was I going to visit. “That well paying great job of yours must have vacation time”

“I can’t Mom” I would say. “They only way to get promoted is to be better than the rest, and that means do more, be more. Not take vacations.” In reality, I could not afford to pay my rent and send them a bit of money for show, if I even took one day off. It was risky even to take time off to go to these dead end interviews.

“What about the next long weekend?” She asked. “They can’t make you work every long weekend. Use some of the money that you keep sending us and buy a plane ticket.”

Tommy was invented in that conversation. It was love; every spare minute we had was spent together. He wanted to take me here or there, to once in a life time activities and parties that could not be missed......Yeah, that would sure beat Saturday nights huddled by the baseboard heater in my damp chilly apartment reading books that the second hand book shop below tossed in the trash because nobody else wanted them.

The bus that I was on came to a bumpy stop just then. I tried to determine where it had stopped, but the snow and ice hitting the window made it almost impossible to see. About 10 minutes later, I moved to the front of the bus to ask the driver what was going on. A glance at my watch told me that I was going to be late if we did not move soon.

“We won’t be going anywhere to soon, young lady” said the driver. “You just sit tight. Looks like an accident up ahead”

From the front of the bus, I determined that it was just about 3 stops away from my destination.....about 5 blocks. Well, I could not be late. The diner had regulars that would be more that happy to tell her boss that she did not open on time.

“Sir, I need to get off please”

“Are you sure? It is mighty messy out there.”

“Yes, it is not much further I need to go, only a block or two.” I gave him a smile as the lie slipped out so easy.

As I stepped off the bus, it seemed to me that the storm was letting up a bit. I could even see the lingering moon though a gap in the clouds. Maybe, I should have been looking where I was going instead of gazing up at the sky. It was at that point that my foot got caught in a small slush filled pothole. As I went down I felt nothing, but there was a large cracking sound. Then before I could think anymore, all went black.

The first thing I can remember as I came to is, wishing I was at home. The second was the blinding pain in my head that almost out did the feeling that my leg was being sawed off.

When I turned my head to the side, it took me a moment to realize that my Dad was standing there, holding my hand. I could hear Mom on the other side, but lacked the will to deal with the pain of turning my head. The tears came then. Not for the pain, but the self pity of knowing that they would now know everything. Their daughter, their big disappointment.

Mom had moved around beside Dad. As I tried to speak, she placed her finger on my lips.

“Come home. We love you.” Was all she said.

I looked into their eyes and could see no sign that that they knew of any of my lies. “But...” I started.

“No,” said Dad “Nothing changes that. We love you.”
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

What a lovely story Kat, and not too long at all! I think it can be easier than you think to get caught in a situation like that and then not find your way out again.

I'm glad you found the time to write for the challenge. And thank you for your comments on my story too.

~Gem~

Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Dreamer

A beautiful story Kat I could almost feel her despair and feeling of failing and that wet cold and the slush of the puddle.

You caught the shame of telling your parents that everything is not rosy so well, I think we have all had times we have worried about things like that.

It feels like there should be a part two to this. Would be nice if you had the time.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
besotted with buttons

awww Kat, that was so full of stuff, gettng caught up in a lie, expectations and hopes her parents had for her, and the tragedy of it. The image that struck me was the reading the tossed out books. Good one. But in the end a beautiful heartfelt message, one of steadfast love.
Thank you for that X

Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Imagination Rules!

Wow, those were both fantastic.

Gem, I loved that quiet determination there in your story, I felt like I was right there beside Joe, sharing those moments. You wrote that just beautifully - oh so well done, I can't say! And all for a little challenge, you captured that moment so well!

Kat, that was wonderful too. So much in so little and so right too, that unconditional love parents have for their kids. I started and couldn't stop until the end, a great indication that you've written something very worthwhile.

Thanks so much, both of you. Just wonderful!
hugs
Luna
xx

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
In Love

Hey, that was fantastic! I just got completely swept up in her life and what was happening! The pacing was great and I loved the slighlty ambiguous ending. Just shows what you can do with a good character and some empathy with her or him. After all, not a huge amount happens, but I really cared about her getting a break. Thank you!
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Krazy for the Elf

Thank you, Gem, Ki, nuit, Luna and Fourleaf Clover. You are all so kind. I had the idea going in my mind for a few days, but by the time I sat down to write (straight though in one sitting) it just came out as is and nothing like my original thoughts and scribbled notes.

Ki, I'm not sure if there is a second part in me. I kind of got out all the thoughts in my head about it at the time. The ending was a bit abrupt, but I'm not sure if I could take it anywhere......Kind of why I like the round robin idea.....others see more possibilties and make the story live on.
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Gone bush!

Hey a couple of great little stories here Gem & Kat. Well done

Gem-that was awesome, you drew me straight in there, I could easily see it all before me. This made me sad "Only a year ago his life had been so different, full of hope and dreams for the future." All beautifully written & a fantastic ending

Kat-Your story didn't seem too long, just right I feel. Loved the pace of it & how that guilt she felt came across so strongly but how at the end of the day, we love our kids no matter what

RIP HEATH
*Beautiful icon animation by Kat-thanks*
*Gorgeous siggy by Nel*
*Thanks to Mata for icon*

*Don't Tell The Elf!*