Go Back   Orlando Love > Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction > Challenges

Old February 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Lost in his curls

Well, here's my go at this challenge. I hope you enjoy.

Lanta

Author: Lassalanta
Title: Pastrami, oil, candles
Rating: General
Characters: OFC
Summary: This story came to mind as I kept repeating the words for the challenge. Total bit of fluff.

“Pastrami, oil, and can-dles. Pastrami, oil, and can-dles. Pastrami, oil, and can-dles.”

Nykie kept repeating the contents of her shopping list while she jogged, hoping that for once she wouldn’t forget anything. She knew her memory for some things, well… most things, made Swiss cheese look solid so she had tried the sticky notes, pocket recorders, and even the string around her finger. But after her fridge became covered with yellow reminders and she had to replace her fifth pocket recorder she had just about given up. Then she came up with the idea of repetition. Maybe is she said it often enough, it would stick!

Today was her big test. She was using her morning jog to clock the length of time she would repeat her list, then she would stop for her normal triple shot soy latte and then head for the corner grocers. If she could remember her simple three item list after the interruption of her repetition at the coffee shop, then maybe she would finally have a method that worked.

“Pastrami, oil, and can-dles. Pastrami, oil, and can-dles. Pastrami, oil, and can-dles.”

Starbucks was in sight and the list was firmly in her mind.

She continued to jog in place while she waited for the light to change.

Finally, the nirvana of freshly ground beans and liquid caffeine welcomed her into its warm embrace. She nodded to the regulars she saw each morning, noting that Taylor the latte boy was already starting on her morning bliss.

“Good morning Nykie,” he said with his normal cheery smile. “Your triple shot soy latte is almost ready. How was the jog today?”

She just smiled and chatted with him as he expertly steamed and shot, purposefully letting her mind drift away from her list. That mind drift was rather easy to do when Taylor was around. With eyes as dark as a rich Americano and skin the color of café au lait, he was a favorite of almost every female that came into the store. Add him being a decided flirt with a delicious twinkle in those eyes and a body to swoon over, and you had a fella that could frap her cino any day of the week!

As he handed Nykie her latte he winked and whispered, “This one’s on me.”

Funny how fast the heart can go racing without a single drop of caffeine in the system.

Her mind kept wandering back to that moment as she sipped her coffee. Gone was any thought of her list and just about anything else. She noticed that he kept looking over to where she was sitting and periodically giving her a smile and a wink. How was one supposed to keep one’s wits when that was happening?

As she went to throw away her now-empty cup she noticed some numbers written on the sleeve. Numbers? A phone number! HIS phone number! Taylor, the yummy latte boy had given her his phone number! She quickly looked up and saw him watching her. That incredible smile blossomed, sending his eyes twinkling. They nodded at each other, acknowledging there was more to come.

Feeling like a giggly teenager, Nykie headed towards the grocer. She had Taylor’s number carefully tucked in her pocket and she was already debating on how long she should wait until she called him. She wandered the store with her little basket as her mind played all sorts of fanciful scenarios for her. Would they have dinner? Just talk? Would they… OoooOOooo… Would they?

It wasn’t until she realized that she had been staring at the same head of lettuce for 10 minutes that she had a completely empty basket. She was almost all the way through the market and she hadn’t gotten a single thing! Now what was on that list? Pastries, foil, and candies? Pate, doilies, and brandy?

Without really meaning to, Nykie starts to jog in place. A fellow shopper notes this rather strange behavior and asks if she is ok.

“Oh don’t mind me,” she smiles. “I’m just trying to jog my memory.”
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Lost in his curls

Brilliant, Nuit! "It is pronounced PAS..T..RAM..MEE." Of course I heard Jack saying, "It's pronounced EE-GREE-JUS."

Thanks for sharing!

Lanta
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:28 PM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Lanta, that was great! Loved the "he could frap my cino" and the "jog my memory"!
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Imagination Rules!

Thanks for the response everyone!

LANTA - that was so enjoyable I can't tell you - what Avs said, "frap my cino" - honestly, I loved it to pieces, from beginning to end. LOVED the 'jog my memory' - hahahahaha. Truly wonderful and funny as.

Thanks.

Love
Luna
xx

PS:

He thrust the now signed divorce papers violently back across the table at her, glancing the lit candle and causing it to fall on her plate, briefly igniting the pastrami with its thin sheen of natural oils, a mini flambe. "Oh yeah, that reminds me...when's your Mother's funeral again?"

cheers
Luna
xx

(How brief can I get?)

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **

Last edited by Stormdancer; February 27th, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:56 PM
besotted with buttons

hahahahah Luna! that might be the next challenge- the words all in one sentence..
ha but I might win that one- have been known to last 3 paragraphs without a full stop heheehheeh

Lanta good one, I liked that, reminded me of me.
Quote:
Pate, doilies, and brandy?
Well apart from the enticing notes from attractive young men that is.
Bravo!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Luna
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Dreamer

Lanta that was great. The jogging my memory was just brilliant...seriously clever writing there.

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Dreamer

Title Surprise
Author: Ki
Rating: General
Characters: Drew Baylor and OC.
Summary: I just could not get past Pastrami....this kind of leads on from the Drew challenge here So would probably be good if you read that first or you will be a bit lost....

“Drew Baylor well look at you” the woman standing behind the counter of the grocery store winked at him, looking him up and down with an approving smile “you off to see Emmy then?”
Drew swallowed, seemed like everyone in Elizabethtown knew what was going on with him even before he did.
“Er….um…yes”
“Well you’re looking mighty fine honey, though I must say you look better with a bit more meat on your bones. You weren’t nothing but skin and bones that first time I did see you at your Daddy’s calling hours”
He couldn’t do much but nod to that, not really sure of what would be an appropriate response anyway. But he needn’t have worried, Annie was still talking about how he was the spitting image of his Dad and how he would have been so happy knowing that his boy was here with all his family. Voice lowering to a secretive whisper as she said spoke again about Emmy that she was a lovely young thing, a bit wild but the right man would see her settle. Drew could feel his face reddening at that. It was not that far along, not by anyone’s imaginings, sure they had seen a lot of each other these last few months but other than a few rather drunken kisses that had been interrupted by one cousin or the other there had been nothing of that sort of thing going on.

He wondered what scene was playing out in Annie’s head, wine and candles at Emmy’s house perhaps, and he thought about telling her that it was pizza and beer and if it was like any other night that just when he thought that he might have a chance to get a little closer that some relation or other would arrive. Full of news about some band playing somewhere or that there was a party out in the middle of nowhere that they just had to attend to. Then before he knew it they would be in some truck or car, squashed in like sardines, usually on opposite sides careering off into the night.

He put the six pack of beer on the counter and picked up a pack of gum, that pastrami sandwich he had eaten at lunchtime playing on his mind. Just in case he got the nerve or the time, or the opportunity, it would be good to have minty fresh breath. A quick glance at his watch, he was earlier than usual, but that would be alright, Emmy finished up mid afternoon on Friday’s.

Another joyful sentence wishing him a happy evening and he was gone, out to the truck for the few minutes drive to Emmy’s little house. She lived alone, something that he had wondered about, being as she was always surrounded by people, it seemed slightly odd. Most of the other single young ones seemed to live in extended family situations, cousins moving in and out as circumstances changed but always at least three in the one house. But then Emmy did not have any real family here, she had just always been here so perhaps that was why it was different.

A swirl of dust as he pulled into the drive. Engine already switched off as he coasted the last few feet. Funny there were no lights on, a slight sinking in his gut at the thought that she might not be home. He had not called her, just assumed that this Friday would be like the one before, and each one that had preceded it.

He jumped up the steps knocking on the door once before pushing it open, “Emmy?”
No answer, but there was some light, and a soft sweet scent on the air, roses, it smelt like rose oil. He did not need to turn on the light, he knew his way down the hall.
“Emmy?”
Still no answer and his heart was beating just a little bit faster, worry slapping at him. And then the door at the far right of the hall swung open, a cloud of sweet scented steam billowing out into the hall, followed by a stark naked Emmy.

Each of them staring at the other. Her Oh sh*t! drowning out his Jesus Emmy! even as the bathroom door slammed behind her.

He stood frozen, the image of her nakedness seared on his brain, not sure what to do. Finally taking a deep breath and making his way to the kitchen, calling out that the beer was cold and the pizza was hot. Unwrapping a piece of gum and popping it in his mouth as he found plates and glasses.

Old February 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Imagination Rules!

HOW CAN YOU LEAVE IT THERE!!!!

Aarrrgggghhhhhh!

Wonderful Ki, really entertaining - you had me hooked from the first story (re-read as suggested) and now I'm in an agony of wondering where this might lead....another Drew story in the making here girl!

Great stuff, wow this challenge has produced some seriously entertaining reading. Thanks everyone!

cheers
Luna
xx

Old February 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Dreamer

Because I can....and because I have no idea what is next. I am glad that you enjoyed it though!

Old February 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Imagination Rules!

Holy snapping duck sh!t!

Old February 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

What a wonderful challenge this has turned out to be, awesome writing the lot of you!

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

That was great Ki, and hopefully like Drew, one day you'll find that there is more to come of this.
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
besotted with buttons

That is incredibly touching Ki, I struggle with Drew, as you know. Something not quite connected there despite all the tears and the raving and the road trip, but this feels more rooted somehow, like little stretches into what could have been, or what will be.

Fabulous.
Yeah it has been good Gem!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Alive...and kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer View Post
HOW CAN YOU LEAVE IT THERE!!!!

Aarrrgggghhhhhh!
¡Same here! Now I´m so intrigued....Though I´m currently reading three or four diferent stories and my mind is a bit overwelmed...remember I have to do double work:read and translate....but even so,I want more....

Old February 29th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Lost in his curls

Yeowza Ki! I agree with everyone here... How can you leave us hanging? Finish this in the mature section if you must, but please finish!

Wonderfully done. Thank you for sharing!

Lanta
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:28 AM
Dreamer

You are right Gem, this challenge has been a good one. I found it difficult, pastrami has limited places that it can fit, or at least in my imagination it does. Personally I hate the stuff...though I do have this interesting story about my partner getting pulled over on the motorway and he had pastrami sandwiches on the seat and the cop was positive that he had been drinking because of the odd smell. He insisted on breath testing him and then on sniffing his sandwiches!!!

Thanks Avalon...I have a feeling that this might surface again sometime, though I currently have Jack in two different places snapping at my heels, and Joe stuck somewhere in Louisiana.

Nuit I struggle with Drew as well so was a bit odd to find myself writing him again...though pastrami was the catalyst!

Erendira so nice to see you in here and I am very much impressed at your persistance in translating and then reading. I hope that you are enjoying all the stories.

Thanks Lanta....I am not promising anything. Not saying that to be annoying is just that unless they are talking in my head it is pointless to even try as I just get annoyed.

Old March 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Moosemom

Great job everyone!

s
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Inspired by him

Well done on all your spectacular works, ladies It's amazing how people can fit three words into different contexts. Here's my little offering; it's pretty mild.

Title: A Toast
Author: Telcontar Rulz
Rating: G
Characters: Original
Summary: Setting out a romantic dinner brings back memories for one man.
Warning: Mentions cancer

I strike a match to light a frangipani scented candle. The table is set for two. I have laid out all her favourite things; the candles, the rose-coloured napkins, the crystal wine glasses we bought on our honeymoon in Paris. It's perfect, this romantic dinner for two, if only there were two to share it. There is pastrami amongst all the foodstuffs that I have prepared. She loved pastrami; she said it reminded her of her homeland, of gentle rolling hills and spooky stone castles overlooking sleepy little villages in Eastern Europe. I've only ever seen her homeland on the front of postcards.

I rip a chunk of crusty bread fresh out of the bakery's oven and dip it in oil and balsamic vinegar. She used to feed me little bits of bread like this. I guess I'll have to feed myself now. How long has it been? Three years? I still see her in my dreams. I see her eyes, full of compassion and love and hope, even as she lay wasting away in the hospital bed, sandwiched between starched white sheets, with tubes coming out of her. She held onto hope until the very end, smiling and perservering -- never mind the cancerous growth that was eating away at her frail body.

"Live on." That was the last thing she ever said before the flickering flame of her life spluttered and died. It was as if a light went off in my life. I am left alone in the darkness, even though I have lit enough candles to cast the room the the warm glow of fire. The only light left in me is her last words. I live for her.

I pour dark crimson wine into my wine glass and raise the glass in a toast, to my beloved. The scent of the frangipani candle fills the room. The flame flutters as if in answer to my toast.

"Cheers," I say, and I down the wine.

Last edited by Telcontar Rulz; March 4th, 2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Krazy for the Elf

Excellent jobs, Lanta, Ki and Telcontar Rulz!

Lanta, I wonder if that trick would help my prego memorie lapses. It could also help me keep the weight off.

Ki, Love the Drew! Please continue

Telcontar, That was beautifully done. Yes, it made me want to cry.
________
extreme q vaporizer

Last edited by Krazymoonkat; January 30th, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old March 1st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Lost in his curls

Oh my... Telcontar! That really brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful yet so heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing it!

Lanta
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Sweet and sad Telcontar.

Kat, I hadn't even thought of that! Though, I really doubt I'd be jogging for long before it becomes to uncomfortable!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
Dreamer

Telcontar that was beautiful...you painted a very detailed picture using few words and really caught his feeling and his sorrow. Well done

Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:52 AM
Imagination Rules!

Oh Fran, you just about gutted me there. Very well done, getting something so intense and deep and personal and sad across in such a very small amount of time/words is hard to do, and we all know it.

Nice to see you joining in with us all, hope you'll continue. If you bring stuff like this to the table, we will all be avid readers.

cheers
Luna
xxx

PS: Avs you still here - get out there and JOG woman! It might help!

Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Dreamer

Speaking of Av's do we have an alert system in place so that we get all the news as it happens...Luna??? is that your job.