Go Back   Orlando Love > Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction > Lord of the Rings

Old May 20th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Legolas In Trouble - (PT slash)UPDATED 19/6/06

I wrote this story a while ago. I've listed it as slash, but really, aside from a few mentions of the relationship and (I think) one kiss, there's really not a whole lot slashy about it. I hope people enjoy it anyhow.

Title: Legolas in Trouble
Author: Liriel
Pairing: A/L
Rating: G
Warnings: slash
Summary: Legolas surprises a band of fifty orcs and uruks. This is the story of what happens after he loses the battle.
Disclaimer: Not mine, I'm just playing with them. I promise to return them in good working order when I'm done with them!
Beta: The always wonderful Catlover2x
Author's Note: Ok..so I’ve totally screwed with the timeline of the books and movie, putting Uruk Hai in before they were even created. I also made Leggy and Gimli friends before they actually became friends. Call it AU if it makes you feel better.

Chapter 1

The two uruk-hai strode along the corridor, paying no heed to the limp form they carried between them. In his present state, the individual in question would trouble no one. His arms, held in an iron grip by the uruks, were stretched over his head, which hung limply on his chest. His long blonde hair, matted with dried blood, no longer arranged neatly for fighting, obscured his face. His strong, lithe body still showed its grace, although he was mercifully unconscious of his captivity. His feet trailed on the floor, leaving a lurid trail of red to mark the progress of the trio.

Legolas Greenleaf was in trouble.

He had gone ahead of his companions, scouting, and had inadvertently surprised a rather large party of orcs and uruk-hai. Fighting with all the skill and grace his hundreds of years of training and practice had imbued him with, he was still no match for fifty foul creatures who saw in the lone elf a chance to rise in Saruman’s esteem. Though he fought with deadly speed and accuracy, the sheer number of his opponents eventually overpowered him and brought him to his present state; a bruised, beaten, and bloody captive to be offered up to Saruman.

If Thranduil could but see his beloved son at this moment, he would surely have died of grief.

Entering Saruman’s chambers, the uruks dropped their battered captive to the floor where he lay with boneless grace. Saruman looked at the elf with haughty disdain before turning to the uruk-hai. “Is he alive?”

“Yes my lord Saruman,” the bolder of the uruks growled, “We made sure he lived, though he fought like a demon.”

“Good.” A slow malicious smile spread across the wizard’s face, “Strip him and chain him in the darkest dungeon until I have time to deal with him.”

“Yes, lord.” The uruks obediently reclaimed their captive and left the room.

“And send someone to clean up this mess!” Saruman called after them, stepping distastefully around the pool of blood in the middle of the floor.

The journey from the top of Orthanc to the lowest dungeon took long enough for Legolas to begin regaining his senses as the large uruk grabbed his other arm from his smaller cohort while he opened the rusted cell door. Legolas groaned feebly as his arm was wrenched further, not coherent enough to realize that it would perhaps not be prudent to indicate that he was rousing.

Legolas felt the faintest fanning of air on his cheek. As they waited in the dank hallway, the uruk holding him batted viciously at an inoffensive moth fluttering past his face. If he had been a bit quicker, the moth would have been dead. As it was, the moth flew swiftly out the door, escaping from the foulness.

“Hurry, scum! The elf is waking. Even wounded he would cause trouble.”

“Alright, here, it’s open. Where are the orc scum that are supposed to keep these grates working?”

The harsh guttural speech of the uruks penetrated through the fog in Legolas’ mind, alerting him to the fact that he’d lost the last battle and was now in more danger than he’d ever been in before. Feigning unconsciousness, he allowed the uruks to manhandle him into the cell. If he had known where they were imprisoning him, Legolas would have fought regardless, hoping for death rather than to be caged in such a pit. He realized too late that he should have fought when he felt the cold metal of chains being fastened around his wrists.

The uruks left the cell, slamming the grate home with a finality that echoed desolately in Legolas’ heart and caused him to suppress a soft whimper.

Legolas opened his eyes warily; the only light came from a flickering torch in the corridor. He found himself in a small cell with a dirt floor. The walls were crusted in filth, moisture trickling down at random intervals. There were no windows; the only opening was the grate across the doorway.

His arms were chained to the wall over his head. His naked body sagged against the damp stone wall. The bleeding from many wounds had slowed as they began to scab over. His head throbbed in time to his heartbeat and his face itched abominably where his hair was stuck to the side of it with dried blood. Closing his eyes again, Legolas knew despair. How he could get free to see the sky and trees one more time before he died he knew not.

But he would not give in and fade just yet. He had too much to live for.

~*~*~

Saruman entered the dimly lit cell. A sneer marred the once noble face as he peered at the naked elf that lay chained to the filth-encrusted wall. He had no need to inflict more torment, the dirt rubbing into the elf's wounds would more than likely kill the accursed creature. He prodded ruthlessly at the blood and dirt-streaked leg closest to him with one boot, eliciting a soft whimper from the semi-conscious elf.

"Not so arrogant now, are you, warrior elf?"

Legolas raised his aching head, to stare with pain-filled eyes at his tormenter. He would not give in to despair, not yet.

"No one will save you now, elf," the white wizard gloated. "How long will you live when you can no longer see the sky and feel the wind in your face? How long before the loss of the trees robs you of your will to live?"

"As long as I must," Legolas croaked, his mellifluous voice roughened by pain and lack of water.

Saruman snarled at the defiance he heard in the weakened elf's voice. He turned on his heel and stormed out of the cell, slamming the grate closed behind him.

Legolas slumped against the wall once more as he heard the bolt shoot home. A quiet whimper was torn from his throat against his will.

TBC

Last edited by unplugged32; May 21st, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM
Fanfic Junkie

My poor baby!! But I love it Aragorn to the rescue I hope??

I'm so glad you decided to post your story here; I'm really looking forward to reading this as well as anything else you write

sig & avatar by the lovely and talented elements

Dean: Come on man, I've been itching for a hunt
Gordon: Sorry. But hey, I hear there's a chupacabra two states over; go ahead and knock yourselves out.
SPN Ep 2x3
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:09 AM
Dreamer

I could hear those Uruk Hai as clear as anything, nasty beasts. I hope that Legolas is not in that dungeon for too long, that someone is on the way to save him.

Looking forward to the next chapter. Thanks for sharing

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
besotted with buttons

Hurray for the moth!- just have to hope someone speaks mothish now..
heeh
Fabulous Liriel- and am really glad you got around to posting.
Poor old Leggie trussed up like that. Sight for sore eyes I should imagine. What an enticing beginning- more please

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM
unbraided elf

Hmmm.....nekkid warrior elf? I'll gladly tend to his wounds. This is a great start, I would love to see him fight all those uruks though. In my mind...he took all of them down but 10. He is a "master elf" you know.

I hope a certain wizard understands "moth" and that a ranger from the north comes to the rescue.

Can't wait to read more.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:09 AM
SherinaSue

Ooohg, What a great beginning! Looking forward to more! (Personally, I would like this to be a strictly "het" fantasy, but I did see the slash warning, so I am prepared.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherinaSue
Ooohg, What a great beginning! Looking forward to more! (Personally, I would like this to be a strictly "het" fantasy, but I did see the slash warning, so I am prepared.
I actually wrote it as just a general story first, SherinaSue, then converted it to slash. Honestly, there's not much in there to squick you if you don't like slash, I promise. I've done much worse (or better, depending on your point of view! *grin*)

You're all making me blush! I'm so happy that you like this! Here's the next chapter for your enjoyment.

Chapter 2

How much time had passed he could not tell when first he heard a quiet noise. So soft that it would not have been heard by any but another elf, the sound was repeated once. Then all was silent again. Straining against the chains that held him against the wall, Legolas hardly dared to hope that the noise had been deliberate, and meant for him to hear. The light outside his cell flickered more wildly than before, as though some breeze was blowing through the corridor.

Legolas knew this deep underground there would be no wind strong enough to affect the flame of the torch. The light that filtered in to his cell was blotted out. Then the grate opened and a figure shrouded in shadow entered.

Speaking not a word, the figure moved swiftly to stand in front of the helpless elf. With one swift movement, the chains were struck from Legolas’ wrists and he could not suppress a groan as his arms fell to his sides.

“Silence,” was the only word spoken by the figure in front of him, but Legolas knew that voice. With a glad heart he permitted the dark figure to raise him from the ground and wrap a dark cloak about his shoulders. With his lips close to Legolas’ ear, the sound so soft Legolas must strain to understand it, the figure spoke once more. “Can you walk?”

Legolas replied just as quietly, “I will dance if it will get me from here.”

With a loving smile, the figure gently guided Legolas from the dark hole he’d feared would be his end. What followed was a nightmare journey from the pit of hell. Hiding from orcs and uruks, clinging to mere shadows, fearful that someone would discover him gone before they had fully escaped, the journey seemed to last an eternity.

After an eon, and no time at all, the shadowy pair found themselves once more under the stars. His rescuer put a cautionary finger against Legolas’ lips, then led him forward. Moving from rocky outcrop to rocky outcrop, clinging to the darkest shadows, they at last reached the sanctuary of the welcoming trees.

Throwing back the hood from his face, Gandalf said, “Courage, my dear friend, only a short way now and you can ride.”

Legolas, swaying on his feet from loss of blood did not answer, preferring to save his energy to propel his feet further away from his torment.

At last they reached their goal; Shadowfax stood in shadow, his glossy white coat appearing but a patch of moonlight in the darkness. Gandalf assisted Legolas to mount, ensuring the cloak was wrapped closely around him, hiding the alabaster smoothness of his flesh from the night and those who lurk in the night.

“Fly Shadowfax. We must be gone from here long before daylight.”

The first faint rosy glow of dawn lit the sky in the east as Shadowfax bore his riders into the concealed camp. The individuals in the camp all interrupted their tasks, hoping to see how many riders Shadowfax carried. When they realized there were two, the pall that had hung over the camp like a cloud of doom was lifted and they all crowded close to the noble horse, eager to reassure themselves with their own eyes that their companion was safe and alive.

Aragorn reached up and gently took the unconscious elf from Gandalf’s protective embrace. He carried Legolas to the small fire burning in the centre of the camp and laid him down tenderly. Sam came running up with a bowl of warm water and some clean rags.
“I brung these Mr Strider, sir.”

“Thank you Sam.” Gently, Aragorn began to wash away the dried blood from his lover's body. What he saw as the dirt and blood were cleansed was enough to bring tears to his eyes. The four hobbits, Boromir, and Gimli all sat watching somberly while Aragorn and Gandalf ministered to the still form, all eyes focused on the elf, waiting for any movement.

At the first slight flutter of the long eyelashes, the six watchers leaned forward, breath catching.

Legolas moaned softly, the lines of pain etched on his face mute testimony to the agony of his body.

“Legolas, my love.” Aragorn spoke elvish, knowing the sound of the words if not the sense of them would penetrate and reassure. “You are safe, amongst friends. Rest, let me care for you.”

Legolas shuddered and the tension that held his body stiff flowed away; gradually he relaxed, his body growing limp.

“Aragorn.” He sighed in relief and gave himself up to the blackness of the healing sleep that waited to claim him.

TBC
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Dreamer

Great writing Liriel, you captured Gandalf with just a few words.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
besotted with buttons

EEEEE!! Have to admit that I was reading their escape thinking to myself 'he's bloody naked under that cloak' but then my mind does tend to wander. Fantastic! Loved the tense moments at the beginning, and Sam at the end- you have a great gift for conveying voices.
You have indeed written better or worse depending on your POV heehehe, *claps*

Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:32 AM
Fanfic Junkie

Two things that really stand out; the fact that your characters are 'in character' and the brilliant dialogue. Wonderful writing, Liriel

Gordon: Sorry. But hey, I hear there's a chupacabra two states over; go ahead and knock yourselves out.
SPN Ep 2x3
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit
EEEEE!! Have to admit that I was reading their escape thinking to myself 'he's bloody naked under that cloak' but then my mind does tend to wander. Fantastic! Loved the tense moments at the beginning, and Sam at the end- you have a great gift for conveying voices.
You have indeed written better or worse depending on your POV heehehe, *claps*
You're a girl after my own heart, nuit! You are the only one who has EVER commented about the fact that Leggy is nekkid under the cloak! *grin*

Thank you KiwiGirl for you comments about Gandalf and nuit and unplugged32 for saying you think my characters are 'in character'. I tried very hard to 'hear' them speaking when I was writing, I guess it worked.

Unplugged32 you have NO idea how difficult I find it to write dialogue so to hear you make a special comment on it thrills me no end. Thank you!

More coming soon! The muse is demanding I do some work on something that is infinitely worse (better/slashier) than this story!
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:09 PM
besotted with buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liriel
You're a girl after my own heart, nuit! You are the only one who has EVER commented about the fact that Leggy is nekkid under the cloak! *grin*
I take that as a great compliment!

Old May 25th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Quote:
I take that as a great compliment!
Oh it is definitely meant as one!

I'm trying not to post chapters too quickly here so I can give people a chance to keep up. I'm so pathetic though I just want to post a chapter every day! *sits on her hands to stop from posting chapter 3 already*
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM
SherinaSue

OH, Go ahead, give into the urge! I for one would read a chapter a day!
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

I meant to post this earlier than this, but I got sick. I'm all better now, so here's the next chapter!

Chapter 3

The faint sounds of a camp just beginning to stir could be heard. Someone was building up the fire again. Others went about the business of clearing up the bedrolls so they would be out of the way. There would be no traveling done today, and perhaps not for several days to come.

Aragorn sat where he had kept vigil through the night, next to the still form of Legolas; watching, waiting for some sign that his beloved elf was waking. Legolas lay silent and unmoving as one dead. The only indication that he was indeed still alive was the gentle rise and fall of his chest. Aragorn had done the best he could with his gentle healers hands with the limited supplies they still had to bind all of Legolas’ wounds. There were far too many, although none on their own would be considered life threatening. All that could be done had been done, now it was a matter of waiting to see if Legolas could overcome the trauma of the wounds and his capture.

Pippin approached the unmoving ranger cautiously, a piece of travel bread and mug of water in his hand.

“Aragorn,” he whispered softly, “I brought you some breakfast.”

Aragorn roused himself from his contemplation of the still form and looked at Pippin. “Thank you, Pippin,” he said with a sad smile.

“Aragorn, do you think Legolas will heal?”

“We have done what we can, my friend, the rest is up to Legolas.” If he could have brought Legolas back to them by sheer willpower, Aragorn would have had him healthy at his side already.

Pippin nodded sadly, then looked at Legolas’ face. Even with a bandage wrapped around his head and a large bruise discolouring the side of his face he was still one of the most beautiful beings Pippin had ever seen. With great daring, Pippin gently touched Legolas’ shoulder with one hand, “Please get better, Legolas. We miss your company.”

Pippin’s soft words, though plain and unadorned, struck a cord in Aragorn and brought a tear to his eye; how greatly he missed the companionship of the elf that held his heart. Pippin removed his hand from Legolas’ shoulder and was about to turn away when a slight flutter of eyelids held him spellbound. He glanced at Aragorn, seeking confirmation that he had indeed seen what he thought he had seen. Aragorn was on his knees next to Legolas in a heartbeat, breakfast forgotten on the ground, watching the lush lashes flutter as they fought to open. Pippin stood, mesmerized, unable to move, at the poignant tableau that unfolded in front of him.

With a whimper of pain so soft as to be almost inaudible, Legolas finally succeeding in forcing his eyes open. The first thing he saw was the face of his beloved ranger, smiling down at him with relief.

Defeat in his eyes, Legolas whispered, “I am sorry Aragorn, I failed you.”

“You have never failed me, my love. It is I who expected far too much from you. Please forgive me, Legolas.” Aragorn brought his hand up to caress the uninjured side of the elf’s face gently.

Pippin stood forgotten, tears in his eyes as the two friends and lovers assured each other that there was nothing to forgive.

Legolas finally looked over to Pippin who’s tears trailed down his cheeks to fall unheeded to his tunic. “Do not weep, Pippin. I would not have you grieve while I am still here.”

Pippin smiled at Legolas through his tears.

Aragorn spoke with a wry smile, “Pippin, would you fetch more water, please, I seem to have spilled mine.”

With a glad smile Pippin scurried off on his errand, shouting out the news of Legolas’ awakening as he went.

Soon, all members of the fellowship were crowded around, each wanting to see with their own eyes. Legolas gazed in wonder at the circle of faces that surrounded him. He’d never thought to have such friends as these, from so many different races. He wondered briefly what his father would make of his friendship with Gimli.

Pippin squeezed his way between Merry and Gimli, holding the mug of water carefully so as not to spill a drop. With a grateful smile Aragorn took the mug and assisted Legolas to raise his head to drink. Legolas put a trembling hand on Aragon’s hand holding the mug. Leaning weakly against the welcome support given by his beloved ranger, he drank. After several small sips of water, he pushed it away. Momentarily shamed at his weakness, Legolas rested his head on Aragorn’s shoulder and closed his eyes briefly before opening them again to gaze at the circle of smiling faces. Not a single face showed any trace of disdain at his weakness.

“How are you feeling, Legolas?” Gandalf’s concerned gazed rested on the elf’s face.

“I feel…terrible.” Legolas said with a faint smile. “Perhaps this was necessary for me to truly understand what others go through, but I have to say that I am not enjoying it.”

Gandalf chuckled, “I would be surprised if you were enjoying it, my friend. No one wishes to be wounded or ill, and you are both right now.”

“If this is what it feels like to be ill, I do not care to experience it again.” Legolas’s feeble attempt to make light of the situation was met with chuckles from all present.

“For today, Legolas, I want you to rest, drink as much water as you can, and sleep all you wish.”

“But the quest, Gandalf,” Legolas fretted, “We cannot delay while I mend. We must continue. If I cannot travel, you must leave me behind.”

“We won’t be leaving you behind, Legolas.” Frodo spoke up firmly. “No one will be left behind. Sauron doesn’t know where we are. We can afford to take some time while you recover.”

Legolas turned his gaze to Frodo; the burden the small hobbit carried was greater than any burden Legolas had ever had to carry. He marveled that the young hobbit would put Legolas’ health above the need to be rid of the ring as soon as possible. The great evil of the ring would be working against the sweet nature of the hobbit every moment it was in his possession. If they would not leave him behind, Legolas was determined to do his utmost to recover as quickly as he could to spare Frodo any more of the torment he must be suffering as the bearer of the ring.

“Have another drink, Legolas, then rest again while we prepare some food for you.” Gandalf rested his hand lightly on the elf’s shoulder. Then he turned and shooed the others back to their self-appointed tasks, while Aragorn made sure that Legolas drank again and then helped him find a comfortable position for rest. Resuming his vigil with an easier heart, Aragorn took out his whetstone and began to sharpen his sword.

TBC
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Dreamer

Oh just fantastic Liriel - I had tears in my eyes when reading of Pippin's sadness. More please

Old May 29th, 2006, 10:37 AM
besotted with buttons

YAY!! I know what you mean Liriel- it is tempting to just post it all up quick- but whatever you do will be reading so post away! Glad you are feeling better anyhow.
Hey I may be obsessed BUT is he STILL NAKED? thats the key unanswered question, like he was all injured and that they aren't gonna spend time pulling trousers on are they? A heartening thought anyhow, and he is awake and all cuddled up. awww.
I love the voices- can so hear Legolas in
“If this is what it feels like to be ill, I do not care to experience it again.”
Great!

Old May 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Quote:
Hey I may be obsessed BUT is he STILL NAKED?
Great!
Yep, still naked! He'll get dressed, eventually! *grin*
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM
unbraided elf

Lovely two chapters Liriel. Love the "nekkid under the cloak thoughts too." The poor wounded elf. I can only imagine the agony he must be going through. If he were human, he would have probably been dead.

Such good hearts they all have and love for each other. *sigh* Legolas...

Looking forward to the next chapter.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Thank you, Unbraided Elf. Yeah, poor Leggy. What he's going through would kill anyone else (except maybe Gandalf. The jury's still out on that one)

Without further ado, here's the next chapter! (sorry nuit and Unbraided Elf he finally gets dressed here!)

Chapter 4

Legolas sighed quietly to himself as he shifted gingerly. It bothered him that he was still unable to do much other than lie there, allowing others to do the things that he should be doing. The others were so concerned, that if ever he made the slightest noise, two or three of them were there immediately, asking what he needed. He hated to be a hinderance, and right now he felt very much like a burden.

They had been stuck here for three days now. Three days in the same place, with Frodo bearing the burden of the ring three days longer than he should have had to. Legolas still felt unable to bear the weight of clothing against his wounds and was covered only with a light cape. The wounds were not healing the way they should have been. Gandalf said it was most likely from the weapons the orcs had used but that knowledge did not ease Legolas’ frustration over his inability to get around.

He sighed again, and shifted, somewhat incautiously, and winced, causing a sharply indrawn breath to escape him. He closed his eyes, hoping that whoever came to aid him would think he had merely moved in his sleep.

“I know you’re not asleep, laddie.” Gimli sat heavily on the ground beside the wounded elf.

Opening his eyes reluctantly, Legolas looked at Gimli, seeing the concern for him there, and something else.

“You must be getting tired of lying there. Even an elf must eventually get tired of staring at the treetops.” Gimli’s gruff voice carried a smile to Legolas’ ears.

“I would not be a burden, any more than I already am,” Legolas swallowed. He wanted to arise and move about but feared he could not do so on his own; he was loath to take anyone from their own appointed tasks. Aragorn was out doing Legolas’ job of scouting, so he was unable to ask even his lover to help him up.

“I thought as much.” Gimli moved closer to Legolas and helped him to sit up. The cape that rested at his shoulders fell to his lap. A pattern of angry red wounds crossed his smooth chest and back.

“Are you able to sit here while I find you some clothing? You can’t go walking about in the woods with nothing on.”

Legolas sat for a moment, holding onto Gimli’s arm, as the dizziness cleared. “Yes, I think I am able to sit here, Gimli. Thank you.”

With a grunt, Gimli hoisted himself to his feet and set off to scavenge something for Legolas to put on. He acquired a spare pair of leggings from Gandalf, and he took Aragorn’s spare shirt. That would do for modesty’s sake. Returning to the wounded elf, he aided him to dress, being mindful of the wounds, distressed at the way that Legolas caught his breath as the fabric of the leggings scraped his long legs. The soft wool caught on the edges of the half healed wounds, pulling and abrading as though it were the coarsest sacking.

Once dressed, Legolas sat in place, panting and shivering, a sheen of sweat glistening on his brow. When he had recovered from the pain induced by the effort and the pressure of cloth against his wounds, he accepted Gimli’s proffered arm for assistance in rising. He swayed unsteadily on his feet for a moment. Gimli wrapped his arm gently around Legolas’ slender waist, putting the elf’s arm across his broad shoulders. Together, they walked to where the hobbits sat mending their clothing, talking quietly among themselves.

Merry looked up to see the unusual sight of elf and dwarf approaching together. Nudging Pippin, he hastily made room for the unlikely pair when it became apparent they were headed towards them. All talk ceased as Legolas and Gimli joined them.

With a weak smile Legolas said, “Please, continue what you were doing, I just wanted to be in a different place for a short while.”

Merry cleared his throat hesitantly. “We were just discussing the merits of Longbottom leaf over Old Toby.”

Legolas smiled, “I’ll just sit here and listen if I may.” Legolas leaned back gingerly against the trunk of a tree and let the sound of the hobbits’ chatter roll over him like the gurgling of a stream.

When Aragorn returned to camp, he found the hobbits and Gimli engaged in a boisterous discussion of the best pipeweed ever smoked, and Legolas, leaning against a tree, fast asleep in the middle of the group. With a slight smile he joined the group, squatting down next to Legolas. He picked up the lax hand that lay on the elf's leg and held it tenderly in his own. His heart was gladdened to see the evidence that his lover was recovering, however slowly. Resisting the desire to cradle the elf in his arms, Aragorn contented himself with sitting next to Legolas, inhaling the fresh green scent of him.

TBC
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:24 AM
besotted with buttons

(sorry nuit and Unbraided Elf he finally gets dressed here!)
NO NO- I demand a rewrite..!
aww is sweet though can feel his wincing pain as he slips the cloth over those long legs, poor thing.
Even an elf must eventually get tired of staring at the treetops.”
heeheeh- exactly.

marvellous Liriel-a great picture of them all sitiing there at the end

Old May 31st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Dreamer

Liriel you have done such a great job of capturing each character - the way they speak is just perfect. Looking forward to the next chapter..

Old May 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM
unbraided elf

Quote:
(sorry nuit and Unbraided Elf he finally gets dressed here!)
NO NO- I demand a rewrite..!
I second that motion. I mean...he could sit by the tree with just a cape on...having it graze his upper thigh...I mean, they are all guys you know.

Great chapter liriel, I could picture them all together, arguing over pipeweed too. And a sleeping elf with his long blond..unbraided hair (my fantasy)propped up against a tree. Okay...I'm
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Fanfic Junkie

Quote:
“Are you able to sit here while I find you some clothing? You can’t go walking about in the woods with nothing on.”
And why not????

I just realized that I had two chapters to read! You're doing a fantastic job of keeping the characters close to their book/film versions, soemthing I always look for in a story. Wonderful writing, I'm very impressed

SPN Ep 2x3
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Thank you, ladies! You're giving me the warm fuzzies with your comments!

Chapter 5

The aroma of pipeweed and cooking food tickled Legolas’ nose, drawing him reluctantly from his slumber. Slowly he opened his eyes. Merry and Pippin were nowhere to be seen, Sam was tending something in a pot over the fire and Frodo was in quiet conversation with Gandalf. Gimli sat on the other side of the fire, the subdued sounds of him sharpening his axe sounding loud to the elven ears. The smell of pipeweed was coming from close at hand. Legolas turned his head, cautiously; Aragorn was seated next to him, pipe in hand.

“How do you feel, beloved?”

“Better, I think.” Legolas smiled sweetly at the concern evident in the ranger’s face and voice. “The pain seems to be subsiding somewhat. I did not intend to sleep. I have done far too much already.”

Aragorn smiled and reached a gentle hand to caress Legolas’ uninjured cheek. “Sleep is what you need most when you are ill.”

“Aragorn, we cannot stay here. We must leave. Soon. Tomorrow.” The unease and apprehension in Legolas’ voice was something Aragorn had not heard before.

“We cannot leave with you still so weak, Legolas. I won’t risk your recovery.”

“Then leave me! Saruman will be looking for us, for the ring. You know this. Frodo and the quest must not be put in more danger because of me. I would not be the cause of our failure.”

“I will not leave you. You cannot defend yourself right now.” Aragorn gazed in concern at the nearly distraught elf. He’d never seen Legolas so upset before.

Legolas rested his head against the tree trunk and closed his eyes in defeat. It seemed no one would listen to him when he said they were in danger here. He feared for the safety of his companions and the quest.

At the soft touch of Aragorn’s hand on his shoulder, he tried, unsuccessfully, to suppress his wince and shudder of pain. The longed for touch of his lover awoke new pain in his wounded body.

Aragorn noted the reaction and the lines of pain on the elf’s face. “Legolas, you cannot travel like this, my love. Perhaps tomorrow will be better and we can leave the next day.”

Legolas looked long at Aragorn, seeing his determination to ensure that they did not leave before Legolas was well enough to travel. Unwilling to accept that he was still too weak, he looked away and then tried to rise. Instead of his usual graceful movement, his attempt was awkward and ended with him on his hands and knees, breathing hard, in an attempt to control his reactions. Aragorn sat and watched, unmoving, knowing it was important for Legolas to realize that he was unable to travel, and that nothing he could say would force the fellowship to abandon him here.

Legolas raised himself hesitantly to his knees, his hands resting weakly on his thighs. His breath came in short gasps as new pain rippled through his body from his changed position. He shuddered, wanting the comforting embrace of the ranger’s arms, but knowing that it would hurt far too much to afford him any pleasure. Surrendering to his obvious inability to travel, Legolas spoke. “Aragorn,” his voice pleading for aid.

In an instant Aragorn was beside him, helping him to his feet. Legolas indicated his need for the bushes. Together they made their way through the trees far enough for discretion. The ranger carefully supported the elf, keeping his touch light though his heart longed to crush the slender form tightly to his chest and never let him go.

Returning to the camp, Legolas asked to join Gandalf and Frodo. Reaching their company, he gratefully accepted the extra assistance to lower himself to the ground. At a break in the conversation, he spoke quietly to Gandalf. “I would have a private word with you, Gandalf.” Gandalf looked intently into Legolas’ eyes. What he saw there moved him to request that Frodo and Aragorn leave them for a while.

When they had left, Gandalf turned to Legolas. “I know what you would say, Legolas, and there is not one member of this fellowship who would willingly leave you behind.”

Legolas sighed. “Gandalf, we need to leave. Every day we tarry makes it that much more likely that we will be discovered here.”

“That is true, but if we were to leave you, we would be leaving you to an almost certain death. You must accept that we will not do that, Legolas.”

Legolas looked intently at Gandalf, “Can you not do something to make me fit to travel? I can bear more pain than this if it will help to get us moving.”

“Perhaps there is something we can do. Rest for the remainder of today. Tomorrow I may have a solution for you.”

Legolas bowed his head in acquiescence.

Gandalf signaled to Aragorn to rejoin them. “Aragorn would you help Legolas to return to his bed. I have something I must do.”

Aragorn assisted the elf to his rest. Legolas lay on his back, staring at the treetops, again. The calm face of the elf concealed the turmoil that burned inside him.

"Legolas, please don't be angry with me," Aragorn pleaded. "If I left you behind, I would cease to live and would merely exist."

"I am not angry, Aragorn," Legolas sighed, keeping his gaze focused on the leaves that rustled in the slight breeze. "I am frustrated that none believe me when I say we are in danger the longer we stay here."

"It isn't that we don't believe you, beloved. We all care for you too much to leave you here to die, regardless of the danger."

Legolas dragged his eyes from the distant leaves and focused on the tear-filled gaze of his lover. His heart clenched painfully in his chest as he spoke, "I should sleep. Perhaps if I sleep a miracle will occur and I will be healed, or you will all come to your senses."

Closing his eyes, Legolas clenched his hands into tight fists under the cloak that covered him, grimly holding on to his self-control, aching for Aragorn to hold him and chase all the pain away.

With a sigh of regret, Aragorn left him to sleep.

TBC