Go Back   Orlando Love > Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction > Lord of the Rings

Old January 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM
SherinaSue

Unchosen fate- The Orc-tracker saga continues! PT

Title: Unchosen fate- Chapter One
Author: Sherina
Rating: PT
Characters: Same old cast, with a few new additions I will introduce as we go!
Category: LOTR, post Fellowship
Warning:None
Summary: New arrival in Minis Tirith

The tall young man entering the lower gates of Minas Tirith should not have caused any stir at all. Indeed, he was of the same coloring as the average Gondorian- dark haired, curling just around his collar, with a few days growth of beard, and crystal clear blue eyes. True, he was handsome enough, but that was not what caught the eye. It was his bearing. He was muscular, large for his 24 years, and he walked tall, with his head up and shoulders back. In fact, he bore himself as if he were riding the finest steed to be had, instead of merely walking with a large pack on his back. That tough leather sack held all his worldly possessions, and should have by rights had him stooping like an old man. Yet his shoulders did not hunch, and his stride did not slow. It was as if he owned the streets he has climbing. No one would have guessed this was the first time he’d ever even laid eyes on the White City. It was this proud demeanor that had the streets buzzing with gossip. “Who was he, and what purpose did he have here?”

And Minas Tirith was famous for it’s grapevine of gossip. After all, this was no sprawled out community whose inhabitants only met once a week for market day. No- the narrow, winding streets made it very easy for each little cluster of homes to stay connected by neighbors, and then the wife who lived in the last of the first string of dwellings was also part of the next group, so there was a never ending chain of news. In fact, King Eldarion had once tested this chain as a means of getting news to the lower guards. True, they had gotten the word in only a half day, but the message had been horribly garbled, and so had proved unreliable, and so the lower gate guards had all gone around with cleanly shorn chins for a few weeks. The message they had received had said, “The King’s orders are “Shave beard if your sweaty” instead of “Save bread for the needy”, which is what he had actually said.

This gossip too, would be exaggerated, so that by the time the young man actually did arrive at the upper courts, the people would be expecting an eight foot tall giant. His strong, thick legs had carried him to the top just a little behind the gossip anyway, and so there wasn’t much time left for disappointed speculation. The first person that he stopped to talk to, a young girl, did not look disappointed at all. Instead, she blushed to the roots of her hair and looked at her shoes the whole time she was answering him.

“A blonde man named Tally? I…I don’t know, sir.”

A deep chuckle brought her eyes up to meet his. “It might help to know that he came here with his mother and a red-haired elf, this would be about… eighteen years ago?”

At the mention of the elf, the little girl grinned. “Oh, Master Brendolas! Yes, he and his family live in the palace keep, just a few more streets up. You can’t miss it- that is as far up as you can go!” He gave her a gallant nod and moved on, never slowing his pace, though in truth, he was exhausted. The walk from Esgaroth was many, many days after all.

Last edited by nuit; May 21st, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:57 PM
theoriginalvicki

All right, Sherina! Good beginning, can't wait for more.
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM
SherinaSue

A bit more of that same chapter

Edan stretched out on the bed, her hand automatically going to her husband’s side of the bed. Even in her sleep, the memory of last night was a warm, tingly feeling.
She sought his warmth, the long, lean, ever-youthful muscles of his body…
“UGH!” What met her hand was instead a damp, growing spot on the mattress.
“Tella!” Immediately she was sorry for her outburst, as a pair of huge, doe-brown eyes shot open and started to tear up. The loud wail that followed rent at Edan’s heart.

“Come here, baby… Mama’s sorry.” She shushed the crying toddler and then sighed heavily. Another day in her life- waking to find the husband gone and his place filled with one of their children. And at nearly two, Tellatinu was nowhere near ready to get herself and use the chamber pot. Edan started to get up, holding her own damp sleeping gown away from her. It seemed like she had awakened thusly a thousand times in the last 17 or so years. “Oh, I am too old for this,” she muttered to herself. She sighted a slight, thin girl standing at the window. “Inwe, Sweeting- call your brothers to bring up a tub of water, would you?”

“I’ll clean her up, Mother, here,” Inwe said, taking her squirming sister.”I’m afraid the boy’s have already gone, they wanted to pack bit of repast and explore the ruins at Osgiliath today, remember?” Edan groaned. Brendolas never seemed to tell those boys “No, it’s too dangerous,” or “No, you’re too young. AT thirteen and eleven, she supposed in the terms of both Gondorian and her oiwn Rohirrim tradition, they were old enough to serve as soldiers. But in the mind of their mother, her only sons were still babies. At least she’d never go through this with her daughters. (Well, her eldest was a bit of a boyish child,) but Edan pushed that thought aside for the moment and smiled at her middle daughter.
"WHy slept you so late this morning, MOther, were you up too late?" Edan shot a sharp look at her daughter, who at six was much, much wiser than Tally or any of her others had been at that age. But no, there was trace of knowledge or suspiscion, just an honest look on her freckled face.
"Um, Your father wanted to ....talk...he never needs as much sleep as I do, it seems." Edan rose to join her daughter in undressing Tella.

At six, Inwe was already the little mother, and a great help to Edan. Inwe also shared her father’s red hair. Hers was as straight and long as her father’s and brother’s. Only Tella had a cloud of red curls. Edan smiled at the little one as she climbed up into her sister’s arms. It was only after Brendolas had suggested the name, and her elven Father-in-law Nerathnil had burst into laughter, that Edan had asked what it meant. “Last daughter”, he had chuckled. Edan had given an unladylike snort. “Oh, I see. So what is the elvish word for “Last child altogether?”

Last edited by SherinaSue; January 21st, 2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:10 PM
theoriginalvicki

Oh, I AM excited about reading this! *dances a little*

I giggled at this however; "Edan shot a sharp look at her daughter, who at six was much, much wider than Tally or any of her others had been at that age.

I'm pretty sure you meant "wiser" right?! *grin*
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:19 PM
SherinaSue

Oh, GEEZ! *slaps forehead." Yes, Wiser, now edited. Only EDan is wider, after having five kids! Sorry.
Old January 10th, 2006, 07:19 AM
theoriginalvicki

Just razzing you a little. I figured it was a typo!
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:51 PM
SherinaSue

Okay, Vicki, I think it's just you and me left in here, for now anyway. I started this while home with a chickenpox-y kid, not knowing once I started this Reading practicum, I would have NO time to continue! MAybe on weekends, LOL! Well, Here is what I have so far. You should at least meet the heroine of the story.

Title: Unchosen fate- Chapter One
Author: Sherina
Rating: PG
Characters: Nerathnil and Nyssa
Category: LOTR, post Return of the King
Warning:None
Summary: An unenthusiastic pupil....

Nyssa groaned and fidgeted in her chair, trying to make it apparent that she was bored. Her tutor, however, appeared not to notice her agitation - only her silence.
“Continue, please.”

In an overly loud, disgruntled voice, Nyssa carried on her recitations.
“Queen Arwen Undómiel was the daughter of Elrond and Celebrían ,grand-daughter of Galadriel on her mother’s side. She was one of the Peredhel, the Half-elven. Wife of Aragorn also named as King Elessar and the mother of Eldarion. Died fourth age, year 121.”

Again, she glanced up, but no respite seemed to be coming. A little louder, she recited, “ King Elessar or Aragorn is also known as the Dúnadan, and a Numenorean king. He was the founder of the House of Telcontar which is "Strider" in Sindarin…” a hand on her shoulder made her jump, and she looked up into mirthful green eyes.

“Enough, Granddaughter. T’is obvious you know the lineage by rote.” Nerathnil sighed and sat down beside her, softening his voice. “You desire to run free with your brothers this day, yes?” The slender girl lowered her eyes, feeling a little asamed of herself for acting like a petulant child during her daily lessons. The dark- haired elf, who to the casual observer looked only a little older than his pupil, tousled her tawny hair and chuckled. “That is only natural, Neryssa. (He was the only one who called her by her full name- the name of her deceased grandmother.) You are young and vibrant, and headstrong, much like your Mother.” His fingers lightly brushed through her hair and traced the elongated tips of her ears, not as pointed as his own, but still noticeable. It was a reminder to her as to her purpose here. “These qualities will serve you well at Eldarion’s side.” Neryssa groaned and shifted further away from her grandfather’s touch.

“I do not want to be queen, Grandfather. That was a plan devised by you and father before my birth, not by my own choosing. Do I not have Rohirrim blood in my veins as well? May I not choose, as Queen Arwen did, to live as a normal mortal?”

Nerathnil sighed and closed his eyes momentarily, asking the Valar for patience. They had been through this argument many, many times. He could understand fully well his granddaughter’s feelings, and yet…he could not deny a strong desire to see the line of the Eldar continue. Since there were no other peredhil left alive in Middle Earth, nor indeed even quarter-elven, as his grandchildren were, this was the only way. Despite his mother’s lineage, and his father’s long life, Eldarion was not getting any younger. He had already ruled over a hundred years and taken no queen. And Inwe and Tella were yet too young.

“Neryssa…sweeting, you have been trained in the elven ways by both your father and I since you were Inwe’s age. Can you not enbrace only a part of your heritage? T’is good you revere the lives of Men-after all, all of Eldarion’s subjects are of that race.”

Opening his eyes, Nerathnil noted her crossed arms, and the stubborn set of her jaw. It was no use- lessons were concluded for the day. In this, Neryssa would make an excellent ruler, (although a difficult wife), Nerathnil thought. One might as well attempt to ride a dead horse. Once her mind was made up, there was no budging her.

Last edited by SherinaSue; January 12th, 2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:54 PM
theoriginalvicki

Ah...the tale begins to weave. A reluctant heroine. Great!

Chicken pox huh? Bummer.
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:09 PM
SherinaSue

Edan found her husband outside, near the turret wall. Somehow she had known that was where he'd be, and she gave a sigh of relief before breaking into a grin. She should have known. He had told the boys they were old enough to take this small journey on their own, and yet here he was, his ever vigilant eyes following their every step across the Pellenor. Edan took a moment to drink him in, as she always did. He made a striking figure, outlined against the white stone wall, bathed in the morning light. His broad shoulders, long back, lean, strong legs encased in the dark green made a stark contrast. And then their was his hair. The braided locks gleamed like burnished copper, undimmed by any gray or silver at all, despite his nearly three hundred years. Unconsciously, her own hand flew up to stroke absently at the streak of white among her own blonde curls. She could never get used to the fact that her husband did not, and probably never would, look a day older than he had the moment she had first laid eyes on him. A tugging at her skirts brought her back to the present, and she bent to oick up her daughter, setting her on her usual seat, Edan's ample hip. As she stepped closer, Brendolas turned, a smaile on his face.
"Adda!" Tella squealed, and he laughed.
"Yes, I heard your noisy thoughts, little one, he said, knowing both of them could hear him. He had spent the years since Nyssa's birth perfecting his thoughtspeech, so that he could soften it enough to communicate with his children. All of them but one had their mother's gift of normal speech. Brendolas had been saddened by the discovery that his second and youngest son, Dinedal, could not speak.

Last edited by SherinaSue; January 21st, 2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:27 AM
theoriginalvicki

It is good that the children have inherited their fathers mind-speech. Good job, Sherina. Short but sweet. I liked it. *hug*
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:31 AM
Passionate about the Elf

Oooooooh! I didn't see that you were continuing the story! WOOT!!! I was missing the Elf fics. *makes a note to watch this space*

Mirk
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:21 AM
unbraided elf

Why didn't anybody tell me she had started this?

Good start, can't wait to read more. 5 children???? Poor Edan...she's been busy.

I don't understand, is Nerathniel a physical being now or did I miss something? I thought they could only communicate with him through the palantir or am I thinking of someone else? I better go back and read the ending again.

EDIT- Ah...yes I forgot about the rift created by the two palantirs. It was good re-reading that chapter again.

Last edited by unbraided elf; January 21st, 2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM
SherinaSue

Oh MAn, The pressure- now I have an audience again! Ladies, as I have told Vicki in PMs- I have gotten back into a crazy schedule with student teaching, extra night classess, etc- but I will do my best to keep this up. I already have an ending in mind, it's just the middle stuff that worries me! HAHA!
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:49 PM
Passionate about the Elf

No rush... as long as you come back more often than, say every 6 months or so

:p

Mirk
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
theoriginalvicki

*laughs at Mirk*
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM
SherinaSue

I was thinking more like once a week!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
SherinaSue

The young man was stumbling on his feet by the time he finally reached the last posting of guards. Surely Tally must be here…he was not certain how much farther he could make it. Normally, those keen blue eyes missed nothing, but in his haste to get to the White City quickly, he had walked through the last few nights of his sleeping hours, so that must be the reason…there. The last guard on the wall, the one who had removed his helm in the heat of the morning sun. He had long blonde hair, a short beard, and was very tall and thin. And yet, those brown eyes were staring at him with the same intensity with which he surely stared back.

“Tally?” he called, lowering his heavy pack to the ground. The blonde man broke into a grin and a run at the same time.

“Reger?!!? My gods man, it has certainly been a long time!” He caught his old friend in a fierce bear hug. “And its Tallarand now, only Mother and my baby sister get away with calling me Tally these days!” Reger chuckled. It felt good to see a familiar face after all this time. Even though he was the taller and bulkier of the two, the slighter man took his weight, now almost supporting him. As if this had just dawned on Tally, he looked closely at his friend, noting the state of his boots.

“Your horse in already in the lower stables?” He asked, hopefully. At the tired smile, he gasped. “Never tell me you WALKED here from Lake Town?” Reger ruefully nodded, although Tallarand was already steering him toward a low wall. “Right then, Ale, food and a few hours rest, and THEN I want to hear all about it.” Neither man noticed the breathless young girl that had been running toward them.

Nyssa stopped just behind a wall, noting with impatience that her brother was not alone, as she had hoped. Whenever her studies threatened to overwhelm her, she could always talk to Tallarand and feel calmer. Seeing that a quiet chat with him would be impossible now, she considered her next move.

Ironically, her second choice was her would be husband. Eldarion was always willing to listen, and very kind and patient with her. He was a wonderful man, and a great ruler, there just wasn’t…Nyssa bit her lip, trying to think of what it was. She loved being near him, it was just that, growing up in a household with thin walls and passionate parents, she had grown to expect so much more. Even as a child she had seen the way her mother’s eyes lit up when her father entered a room, or the way her father would always watch Edan’s disappearing back until she was completely gone from the room. THAT was what Nyssa wanted. Passion. Not…another brother.

Reger was too grateful for the food, drink and rest to be embarrassed by all the attention his firend was giving him. He'd never been ill in his life, never known his MOther, and his father had not been the pampering sort. So it was no surprise that when he awoke several hours later, in Tallarand's private quarters, he was confused. He could not remember having gotten here under his own power. A loud squeal following by arthymic clapping cause him to jerk his head around to see what it was. A slender young woman, dressed simply in a loose shift, sat in a wheeled chair near his bed. Her face was sweet and kind, but there was something...her eyes did not focus on him, and her head was tilted at an odd angle. He noticed one hand was bent double at the wrist, like the broken wing of a bird, and she held it tightly against her. Again, she made the squealing noise, her eyes shifting toward him. Reger cleared his throat and sat up, not wishing to be rude and ignore her.

"Good..." (He noted the orange glow from the window before continuing,) "Afternoon, LAdy." The young woman laughed an odd chortling laugh. Within moments, the curtain at the doorway parted and another woman stepped in, looking vaguely familiar to him. She was what looked to be her early in her fourth decade, with a motherly round figure and flowing blonde hair, streaked with silver. She smiled warmly at him.

"Nevermind about Wynna, she means no harm, Reger of Esgaroth," She greeted him. At his blank look, she laughed. "Oh yes, I know you. Do you not remember me? I am Edan. Tally's mother." Reger's blue eyes lit up in recognition.

"Yes, Edan! You are the one who left to go with the elf!" He nodded toward Wynna. "Is she one of your children," he asked kindly.

"Wynna? No, Although she might as well be. She lives here with Tally, and he cares for her. Sometimes, when he has the late watches, she will come and stay with Brendolas and I...in our own home," she added, seeing he still did not understand. "Wynna has been TAlly's best friend for many years, ever since her father...died." Reger noticed an odd look pass over Edan's face, but it quickly fled. "When Old Brithrien, her caretaker passed on, Tally moved her in here with him. They share a special bond, those two."

Last edited by SherinaSue; January 25th, 2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:46 AM
unbraided elf

I'm glad you updated your story so quickly. Poor Nyssa, if she's not in love with Eldarion, then why is she marrying him? Surely Edan and Brendolas wouldn't force her too, would they?

My favorite line is, THAT was what Nyssa wanted. Passion. Not…another brother. Nope she doesn't need any more brothers.

We know Edan understands about passion.
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:24 PM
SherinaSue

Hmmm, I think that they wouldn't force her to, it's more of an expectation. Don't worry, I have something up my sleeve.
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
SherinaSue

As usual, Eldarion had been occupied with matters of state, but by this time Nyssa had calmed herself down. What was she so upset about anyway? Today's lessons were no different than any other...except that she had actually shouted at her grandfather, something she had never done before. MAybe that was who she reallly should be talking to. MAking her way back to the study, Nyssa noted that the door was open. Her father and grandfather were inside, both with angry faces, and crossed arms. BUt no sound could be heard. She sighed. There was never anything to be learned from arguments between these two- as they kept it all in thought form between them. If Nyssa closed her eyes, and slowed her breathing, she could catch a few words, although she had never been good at translating the "elf speech".

Her father was saying things like, "Love, happiness..." while Nerathnil's thought were all about duty, last of the Eldar....something." Nyssa sighed, knowing as soon as the breath left her lips that both elves had heard it. She stepped forward out of the shadows then, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"I..I came to apologize to you, Grandfather. I never should have raised my voice to you in anger." The dark haired elf's face softened. He clearly loved his grandaughter, for all that he wanted this match.

"Neryssa...I accept...Oh, come here!" He caught her up in a close embrace. "I was letting my own desires come between us, child. I would not want you to be unhappy either. I only thought this would be a good solution for all-the elven race, Eldarion, and his people." He kissed her forehead and released her. "I will speak to the KIng this afternoon, then," he said, but Nyssa shook her head.

"No, I really should do it myself."

*This is not the end of this chapter- but I have to go to work!*
Old January 28th, 2006, 05:37 AM
theoriginalvicki

*claps loudly and wolf-whistles*
Sorry about going AWOL on you Sherina. Life gets in the way, ya know?!
Great continuing and WHAT?! You stopped in the middle of the chapter? *SIGH*
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM
SherinaSue

Reger sat up, stretching his long legs. He had come here for a purpose, not to simply lie abed and let Women folk wait on him. He looked at Edan expectantly, and cleared his throat. "Where is TAllarand, then? I need to speak with him." Edan began to answer, but just then a very small child launched itself against her skirts. Edan picked up the wriggling little girl, looking into her face to see what she was trying to tell her Mother. The child uttered no coherent speech, but Reger could make out, "Adda, DinDin, Nerrr..." And then some gibberish. Edan nodded, and turned to the woman in the chair,...Wynna, he thought her name was. She very tenderly touched the woman's cheek and waited until her eyes slid up to meet EDan's. "Wynna, Honey, I am leaving Tella here with you for a moment, Do you hear me?" The woman seemed to think for a minute, and then nodded back. Reger was a bit surprised, as the woman did not seem capable of minding a child, and yet the moment the little girl was depostied on ehr lap, the child broke into giggles and began clapping ehr hands. Edan made a noise in her throat , and when the young man met her gaze, she had a warm smile on her face. "Those two share a special bond as well, just as Wynna and TAlly do. I think they understand each other. Twas never so with my second daughter, Inwe- I think Inwe was born with an old soul. NOw, You aksed after TAlly? He was headed toward the stables to tend to his horse last I saw. You must excuse me now, Apparently my two sons, Nerathlas and Dinedal, have returned from their expedition and have much to tell." She noted again that he seemed uncomfortable remaining in the room with no one but Wynna and Tella for company. "You may feel free to wait here or walk down to the stables, a few streets below. I'm sure anyone will tell you the way. My daughters should be along anytime now, if you wish to call at the King's quarters." At his startled look, she laughed. "It's our home, believe that or not." Reger nodded, flexing his long legs as he followed her out. The rest had been good, but he could not afford to waste anymore time. Time was a precious commodity now.

Nyssa was already climbing the steps to the great hall, her breath cathing in her throat. For all her bravado, this was not an easy task by any means. Eldarion had always been kin to her, and it had been thought since the cradle that she would one day reign at his side. What words did one use to explain that this was not her desire? A small voice at ehr side destraced her.
"Nyssa, our brother's have returned with astonishing news- you must return home...wait, where are you going?" Nyssa spun round to see her youngre sister at her heels. Inwe glanced quickly over here face, taking in the sad, determined look in Nyssa's brown eyes. A look of comprehension crossed her small face. "Ah. You go to see Eldarion. MAy I come with you?" Nyssa nodded absently, glad of the company. In fact, as she stood before Eldarion's chair, (for he only used his throne during matters of state,) She was glad of the support, and kept glancing at Inwe for strength. "And so you see, My Lord, although I consider you agreat friend, I do not feel, that is, I I am not certain...." Inwe shook her head, to let Nyssa know she was rambling and needed to get to the point." I cannot wed with you, Eldarion. I am sorry." Nyya's eyes filled with tears. She did not see the king's hand reach for her chin, and so she jumped when he tilted her chin up to meet his face. The most tender of kisses brushed her forehead, and she blinked to clear her eyes. He was smiling! A sad, bewildered smile, but a smile nonetheless. Nyssa was confused.

"Neryssa. I sincerely hope I have not done anything to make you unhappy..."
"No, no, I..." She wondered if her reasons for saying no sounded remotely sound, afterall that she had not given her heart to another. Her heart was punding now...would she give in and recant out of pity for him? Eldarion released her chin, feeling her pouned heart through his fingertips. "Be calm, Neryssa. I...I cannot say I am pleased to hear it, as you would have made a magnificent queen, but I would never have forced you. I hope we are still friends?" Nyssa nodded, a bit of her smile returning, despite her wet lashes. It was Eldarion's turn to catch his breath, for she was truly beautiful, and so vulverable at this moment. He was startled when she leaned forward to wrap him in a quick embrace before turning to run out of the room.
"She hugs me as if I were her Uncle." He said ruefully. "I shall never find another more worthy....OW!" A sharp kick in the shin reminded him he was not alone. In shock and surprise, Eldarion looked down. Inwe stood, hands on her hips, her eyes blazing. "You are a fool, King. You are at least a hundred years old! Is ten years so long to wait for your life's mate?" She stomped out, her tiny form trembling with anger. It was many minutes before he could stop gaping after her, and then his loud laughter rumbled through the hall. He had just met his queen.

Last edited by SherinaSue; February 8th, 2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:11 AM
unbraided elf

Great chapter....so he's met his queen has he?

Quote:
"She hugs me as if I were her Uncle." He said ruefully. "I shall never find another more worthy....OW!" A sharp kick in the shin reminded him he was not alone. In shock and surprise, Eldarion looked down. Inwe stood, hands on her hips, her eyes blazing. "You are a fool, King. You are at least a hundred years old!Is ten years so long to wait for your life's mate?" She stomped out, her tiny form trmebling with anger. It was many minutes before he could stop gaping after her, and then his loud laughter rumbled through the hall. He had just met his queen.
So what is so important that Reger needs Tally?

Can't wait for the next update.
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM
SherinaSue

Even though she knew her father and Nerathnil were waiting anxiously to hear Eldarion’s reaction to her announcement, Nyssa bypassed the family chambers and went instead to find Tally. Tally would understand. He himself had chosen not to take a mate, preferring instead to spend his evenings with Wynna, teaching her to speak a few words and walk a few steps from her chair. She was strong; she too could choose a life…without passion…Nyssa shook her head to clear it. Her thoughts made no sense. She had only just now ended her lifelong betrothal out of fear for a passionless life, had she not? Her heart ached for Eldarion, truly, and her head was still spinning. She wanted her elder brother to wrap his arms around her tightly and tell her she had done the right thing.

Nyssa stopped in to her brothers dwelling, toning that the rooms were empty except for Wynna and Tella, curled up in a chair, napping. She knew then where he’d be- The stables. Tallarand had his father’s gift and love for horses, and next to an evening with Wynna, it was his favorite place to be. The late afternoon sunlight painted the stone walls a pinkish glow as she passed, and Nyssa quickened her pace. She knew her family would worry if she were not home by the evening meal. Her feet were practically flying now, as she rounded the corner to the stables…and came up abruptly against a broad back. Whoever he was, he did not even give as she slammed into him, her feet tangling in both her skirts and his boots. Nyssa shouted in unlady-like outrage as she landed square on her backside.

Reger had just spotted the stables ahead when a hard force struck him from behind. He immediately spun around- and spotted a flurry of blue skirts, flying blonde hair and one bare foot flailing about on the pavestones. Before he could offer to help her, the girl sprang up like an angry, sputtering cat, righting her gown and flinging a cascade of honey blonde hair out of her face. Reger bent to retrieve the lost shoe.
“My apologies, Lady,” he said courteously, although honestly he had done nothing wrong. The anger on her face dissolved into surprise and frustration.
“You!” she shouted, before realizing how rude she was being. A blush stole up her neck in chagrin at her outburst.

Reger raised one ebony brow. Did he know her? He’d only been in the city a short while, and this was not the maiden he had spoken to earlier to ask after Tally. No, he would have remembered this one! She was stunning, with a strong nose, high cheekbones, and a full mouth. And that cloud of wondrous hair! Even unbraided and untamed, it was magnificent. And her brown eyes were flashing at him, even as the comely blush colored her cheeks with the same glow as the sun behind her.

“I…I’m sorry, Miss, I don’t believe I know you?” He said, waiting for her explanation.

“I saw you earlier, speaking to my brother Tallarand. I had wanted to speak to him,…”
“Ah,” Reger nodded, knowing he had been the reason she had not. And now, Once again, he was encroaching on her plan. “I too, wish to speak to my old friend. Walk with me, Lady.” Nyssa cleared her throat, and reluctantly nodded.
“My name is Neryssa,” She explained. “My family calls me Nyssa.”
Reger smiled, taking in her appearance, and, now that she had pushed her hair back behind an ear, noting the rounded off point at its delicate tip.
“I have met some of your family, then. A little child, scarcely more than a baby? And a little girl who comes and goes quietly, with long straight red hair.”

Nyssa smiled. “Yes, those are my sisters, Inwe and Tellatinu.”
She was beginning to warm to this man- after all; he had seemingly forgiven her for her earlier outburst at him. She stole a glance sideways, studying him. She had to crane her neck upward just to see him at this close distance, since he was a good head taller than she. He was indeed handsome, with shoulder length curling hair, almost black, and at least a week’s growth of beard. He too, had blue eyes, like Eldarion, and yet this man’s seemed…to glow with an almost fierce intensity. His brow was furrowed now, even though his words had been calm; she sensed a quiet storm inside. In one large fist he clutched a heavy bag, and his strides toward the stable were purposeful. Nyssa was curious as to what was troubling him.

Tallarand looked up from his work, setting the brush aside and giving the horse a loving pat. “Later, my friend, we have company,” he said lightly. The two people striding toward him seemed an odd match, but Tally had no time to contemplate that, as both held their hearts in their faces.
“Greetings, Reger, my friend,” He said with a question in his voice. He wasted no words of greeting on Nyssa, instead reaching to pull her into a large bear hug.
“What’s troubling you?”
Reger cleared his throat and shifted his feet, looking down at the hay he was scuffing aside with his worn boots.
“I am prepared to let your sister go first, Tally. She has twice today come to speak with you, yet I have been in the way.” With that, he gave a nod to Nyssa and took himself off to one side, picking up the horse brush and heading to a far off stall. Tally gave his sister a puzzled glance.
“All right, how did you meet Reger, and what is this urgent tale you carry for me?”
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM
unbraided elf

Ohh....Nyssa and Reger? A romance perchance? This looks very promising. No romance for Tally? I'm glad he watches over Wynna...but...umm...he's not a elf after all...he has needs!