Old October 28th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Passionate about the Elf

Sharina, I just finished reading this entire thing... all I can say is
Amazing.

Thanks for your imagination!
Mirk
Old October 30th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Fanfic Junkie

I haven't had the time to review this properly but I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading this Great work, Sherina

sig & avatar by the lovely and talented elements

Dean: Come on man, I've been itching for a hunt
Gordon: Sorry. But hey, I hear there's a chupacabra two states over; go ahead and knock yourselves out.
SPN Ep 2x3
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:38 AM
SherinaSue

Hubby and I were brainstorming a sequel to this last night- I don't have any college classes until Jan 13 now, so I am going to try and see what I can get done. Anyone still interested?
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Enelya

Me, Me!!!

Enelya
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Passionate about the Elf

Over here, still interested over here!!

Mirk
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:39 PM
theoriginalvicki

I already PM'd you about this, but I will add my cheers to the rest!!
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Elven Queen in Training

Yes, I would love see how this story continues.
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:23 AM
SherinaSue

Title: Ocrtracker sequel, unnames as yetAuthor: Sherina
Rating: PG 13
Characters: Neryssa, Brendolas, Nerathnil
Category: LOTR, after LOTR sequence of events
Warning: death and grieving
Summary: Nerathnil and Brendolas have a choice to make

BRendolas couldn't stand it anymore. He had to get out of the hut. IT felt like his skin was going to crawl off his sinew at any moment if he had to stay here another moment, listening to that...that awful rasping. This frail, drawn creature on the cot could not be his MOther. How could it be? Her laughing green eyes were hazed over, her skin so thin it was all but transparent over her veins. She reached out to her husband with gnarled hands. Nerathnil smiled down at her, no pity showing in his eyes. Brendolas could feel it pulsing through him, with every rasping, choking breath Neryssa took- but he would not show it to her. His father. The two of them could have been the same age, two young human men looking after their aging grandmother. No one passing by would have guessed that the dark-haired man was thousands of years older than both the redhaired man, and the woman dying on the cot between them. Or that neither of them were "men" at all.

Finally, after what seemd like hours, Nerathnil bent to touch one last kiss to her lips, his hands deftly sweeping over her eyelids. Brendolas could no longer stand it- he broke and ran from the hut, past the trees, running until he himself was gasping for breath. BUt he had nowhere to go, nowhere to hide from the searing pain inside him. He sat bsdie his mother's favorite bathing pool, watching the shadows chase across the grass, until his keen ears heard his father steeping into the clearing. Bredolas flinched away from the touch of the hand on his shoulder. Nerathnil sighed. For all that he was now in his 60th year, as an elf, Brendolas was still more like a human teenager. Brash, young, and without the wisdom that would come with age. And still a child, a child who had just lost his mother.

"Brendolas." He shook his head, wanting to hide his tears from the older elf. "Brendolas-son. LIsten to me. There is nothing to keep us here now. There are but a few elves left in Middle Earth, here at the end of this age. We must not miss the last ship to the Grey HAvens."
Brendolas met his father's eyes, his own fierce and flashing a turquoise blue. He shook his head.
"SPeak to me, Brendolas, Touch my mind- I must know what you are thinking."
Again, he shook his head, his reddish brown hair falling loose about his shoulders. He had been too grieved even to dress it today, leaving it unkempt.
Nerathnil sighed again. "Then if you won't speak, at least come with me to pack your things. We must leave on the morrow." He turned to leave. Suddenly a loud shrieking only he could hear stopped him in his tracks.
"NO! I am not leaving, Father! I know nothing of my mother's people, and I promised her I would learn more about her home."
Nerathnil's eyes were compassionate as he turned to his son. "Brendolas, I know you made that promise to your mother to keep her happy, but she is gone now. There are no more of our kind here in Middle Earth. I would not see you live out your immortal life amongst those who would fear and revile you for what you are."

Last edited by SherinaSue; December 20th, 2004 at 03:27 AM.
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Enelya

You just had to start out with a tearjerker didn't you, hon!

But, please, continue!

Enelya
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Passionate about the Elf

Could I have some more please?

(I alwasy loved Oliver Twist)

Mirk
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:53 AM
SherinaSue

Nerathnil made his way back to the hut, knowing his son wanted to be left alone. He had known long that this day would come- had known since he had first given his heart to a mortal woman that he would have to let her go. His healing powers had done what they could- after all, 83 was long for a mortal to live in this age- but he was no miracle worker. As he reenterd the hut to ready her body for burial, he let the wall surrounding his emotions drop. Nerathnil laid his head down on the body of his beloved Neryssa and cried.

When Brendolas finally looked down from his place in the huge oak's boughs, he relaized it was nearing nightfall. Even though he was grieved beyond bearing, and could not understand his father's demands on him, he knew he had duties. He swung down from the branch and made his way back. Nerathnil was out in the darkeneing wood, trying in vain to scratch out a hole in the root filled earth. Elevs had to deal with death so seldom, they had no specific burial grounds. Brendolas watched his father for a time, and then reached out to touch his mind.
"FAther- stop. We must take her to the clearing and build a pyre- this will take ages."
"No, we must not, MIrkwood is thought to be deserted by most. I would not draw EAsterlings and such that may be roaming about- especially if you are determined to stay here."
"THen weight her body and commit it to the river, FAther. You have not the time to toil here if you journey to catch the last ship."
Nerathnil reluctantly nodded, noting the darkening sky. NEither spoke as they performed the hateful task.
Brendolas sat now on his cot, watching his father pack.
"FAther- why did you not take me and mother to the undying lands long ago? COuld you not have saved her?"
NErathnil hesistated in his packing and looked with mournful eyes at his only child.
"She did suggest that once, when you were very young. We even began the journey, do you not remember? As we journeyed, Neryssa felt more and more ill to be leaving her home, and knowing there would be no other humans in VAlinor, as none had ever journeyed there. We didn't even know if it would prolong her life. FInally , as we made our way in a small boat out to the ship, you were distracted by a dragonfly and reached out to catch it. You fell over board. Neryssa is...was...a strong swimmer, and it was she who saved you, but by then the ship was cutting the mooring lines. She said that was an omen, that we were never meant to reach the ship in time. I did not argue with her. I honored her wish to live out her life here, believing that there would still be time for you and I to make the journey later. I never dreamed you would choose...Well. I honor your decision, Brendolas, even though I see no happiness in it. Even if you were to journey to the villages of humans, you reliaze they cannot understand your speech? Only your mother shared that link with you."
Brendolas met his father's eyes and nodded.
"Yes, I know it. The one time we did journey to a human village, I tried it. MOst of them ran screaming from me."
Nerathnil sighed. "There is hope yet, son. Thranduil's caves are not far- you remember me showing you the hidden entrance? I have never seen it myself, but it is rumored that he possessed one of the lost palantir seeing stones. I know LOrd Elrond has taken one with him- it will serve as a link between the two worlds. You must search it out, son."
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Enelya

I'm loving it!!!

Enelya
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:23 PM
theoriginalvicki

Oh, yea!! I'm so glad things worked out that you can start the story again!!! such a sad beginning, and his father leaving without him...
I'm loving it!
Old December 9th, 2004, 03:34 AM
SherinaSue

Oh my Gosh, I committed to doing this, started the story, and now I am totally frozen on it- I know where I want to go with it, but no idea how to get there! Bear with me.
Old December 9th, 2004, 05:49 AM
moonseeker

Sherina, love the story. Also, love your siggie. That line is from one of my favorite songs.
Old December 10th, 2004, 07:41 AM
theoriginalvicki

For you we will wait...
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM
A little breathless...

WOW Sherina!!

I'm impressed! I can't wait to see how this is going to turn out!
Old December 11th, 2004, 11:03 PM
SherinaSue

Title: Octracker sequel, unnamed as yet
Author: Sherina
Characters: Brendolas, Nerathnil
Warning: Um, none?
Summary: Brendolas continues on his own

Brendolas sat on King Thranduil's throne, surveying the room around him. His father and mother had been here, on his begetting day, and he felt a certain connection with the place. It was fairly sparsely furnished, for elves, and had few of the intricate carvings he had seen in Lothlorien and Rivendell, when his father had taken him there. But he liked it. The torchglow lit only the center of the room, never quite reaching the corners, but Brendolas was not afraid. He had run out all the lurking spiders years ago, when he had first come here.
The day Nerathnil had turned away to board the ship, his heart heavy that he had never been able to persuade his son to join him. Brendolas was grieved too- perhaps more so. Not only had he lost his mother to her own mortality, and his father through choice, but as far as he could discern, he was now the only elf left in Middle Earth. A lonely lot, to be sure. He had spent the last hundred years or so thinking to himself, not wanting to venture out of the wood. True, few of the race of men ever ventured this far into Mirkwood, and none had discovered this cave, but he did not miss the company. Other than King Elessar, he had met no men he wanted to befriend. They seemed to be a superstitious lot. No one had dared venture this far into the Mirkwood.
He was curious if the world of men even remembered the elves who used to dwell in this wood. Brendolas curled up in the large oaken throne to nap, as was his habit of late. He had explored these caverns all morning, as he had for a hundred years. By now every
dent in the stone floor was familiar to him. His father must have been mistaken, he thought. If the palantir were here in these caverns, he’d have found it by now, surely! He closed his eyes to rest them from the torchlight, imagining his mother’s voice singing lullabys to him again. He would remember her always as she had been then…not as the withering old lady fading away before his very eyes.

The waves rocking the ship, sunlight glinting on the water, and on the wings of the butterfly….his Mother’s screams, and then the cool blue closing over his head…. Brendolas awoke with a start, feeling the clean , cool air fill his lungs. It was just a dream, he was not drowning beneath the crushing depths. He sat up, brushing his hair out of his eyes. Not a dream only, but a memory too. He could remember every detail clearly, as he had played the fateful events of that day over and over in his mind. A foolish little boy, who had leaned too far over the side after a beckoning dragonfly.
His momentary distraction had cost his family everything, as he saw it. Even though he had been rescued by his mother, and tried to persuade her all was well, the ship had gone. And now his father also had moved on. The last ship to Valinor, and his father’s people. Brendolas sighed, the noise no more than a breath of air echoing in the hollows. There was certainly no use going over this in his mind again. He had agonized over his folly long enough. And searched these empty hallways and passages long enough. He had made up his mind, and no one was here to dissuade him.

Last edited by SherinaSue; December 12th, 2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:40 AM
moonseeker

Enjoyed the latest chapter. Thank you.
Old December 13th, 2004, 04:53 AM
theoriginalvicki

woohoo! good, waiting for more!!
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:21 PM
SherinaSue

Title: Octracker sequel, unnamed as yet
Author: Sherina
Characters: Brendolas, Nerathnil
Warning: Um, none?
Summary: Brendolas continues on his own

Brendolas sighed and looked at the angle of the sun on the tree trunks around him. Several grasshoppers frollicked near his head. He'd lain here so long, the creatures seem to have forgotten he was here. He closed his eyes and waited, and waited....and waited. PAtience had never been his strong suit. He went back over again in his mind what he had heard about Queen Arwen of Gondor. THey said she had grieved so strongly for her fallen husband, that she had taken herself off into the woods, and died. He sighed again, frightening the mouse who had been chewing on his bootlaces. Was there more to it than that? COuld he just lay here until he died from hunger, or whatever? The human part of him, mainly his stomach was telling him that that shouldn't be long now. He was starving. This was, what, the third day? He didn't feel like he was dying. He felt...bored. And listless. He was just deciding what he should do when two small voices reached his keen ears. He lay still, controlling his breathing so he could not be heard.
"Go on, to that big oak- I dare you!"
The shadows were lengthening now, and the voice that answered the first shook with trepidation.
"But, aren't there spiders? And what of the red glow we can see from the village at night, what about that?"
The two little human boys whispered together for some minutes, and then one began to move closer. He was running toward the oak tree- directly beyond where Brendolas lay. He had just about made up his mind to go ahead and move, when a small foot glanced his chest. He sat up, cursing silently. In the dim light, he saw the child's eyes grow wide, and a soundless scream shape his mouth. He wasn't even breathing, for a split second, and then...
"AAAAIIIIII!!!!!" The half elf held his ears in pain as both children begaon screaming. He could still hear them even when they cleared the forest and crossed the plain to the village. His heart was beating so fast now, there was no hope it was about to stop altogether. Brendolas shook the leaves from his hair, rubbed his ringing ears, and went in search of his bow. MAyhap one of those squirrels who had tried to nest in his hair was still about.

"Boys, boys! Slow down!" The redfaced inn-keeper drew a breath and tried again, his patience stretched. "One at a time, then. Tally. You first, son. NOw, what did you see?"
The little boy's face was tear streaked and red. "A demon! I saw a demon, with a glowing red head, and fierce eyes! He leapt out of the grass at me!"
The other, taller boy pushed TAlly out of the way.
"No, no, you've got it wrong! His eyes were on fire, not his head! He had huge, red eyes, and tall, pointed ears, and he spoke in my head! He was trying to trap us! And he leapt out of the roots of the tree, not the grass, you dolt!"
"Now, Now, boys-that's enough of that." He looked out once more at the darkness, watching for the glowing red lights he often saw there. Something did live in those woods. There had been legends, passed down for years, about otehr creatures that roamed the earth- Orcs, Goblins, Trolls and the like. HUge, man-eating spiders...no telling what was out there.
"What you going to do then, Daegin? THrash them two young ones for disobeying your orders to stay out of the woods, or go in after that thing?"
Daegin trembled, his large chins quivering. "I ain't going after that...whatever it is. I'd rather it stay in the woods than come after me!"

Tally couldn't sleep that night. In all his six years, he'd never seen anything like that man in the woods. The more his friend Reger went on and on about it, the more his imagination ran wild. He tossed about on his small cot, trying hard not to cry. Only babies cried. At least that's what Reger said.
"And I'm not a baby."
From the opposite corner, a loud sigh rent the darkness.
"Tally! Forget about it and go to sleep! We've an early day tomorrow."
"YEs, Mama."
The woman lay silently for a moment, and then crept over to the little ones cot.
"COme on, Tally boy- you can sleep with me tonight." He didn't say a word, but curled up against her for warmth. Within minutes, he was fast asleep. For Edan, sleep was much longer in coming. She listened for the hated footsteps of DAegin, glad for once she'd let Tally sleep with her. MAybe , just tonight, DAegin would stay away.

Morning came very early for the both of them. TAlly, barely washing his face and downing a crust of dry bread, ran off to collect eggs and milk the cow, while Edan began the morning routine of breadmaking, porridge boiling, and sheet washing. Ever since her husband had died, she had done the same thing- worksun-up to sundown at the inn, and then try to avoid Daegin's groping hands at night. Not much to look forward to. She supposed, young as she was, (having just reached her twenty-fifith year,) she could marry again, but in truth, she'd met no-one she wanted to "belong" to. She did not belong to Daegin. She simply had nowhere else to go.

Last edited by SherinaSue; January 3rd, 2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:43 PM
theoriginalvicki

Oh man, poor Brendolas....
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:59 AM
SherinaSue

Found this again, I had drawn it awhile back- don't have one of Edan yet- she's not the original woman I had for him, I have changed my idea. Trying not to do the same old same old thing, you know? It's hard!
Old December 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Enelya

That's just incredible, hon!!

Enelya
Old December 17th, 2004, 03:06 AM
SherinaSue

Thanks for bearing with me- I have a few pages I wrote at work, have to type it all up. But finals first! (And I know you are all distracted watching ROTK anyway!)