Go Back   Orlando Love > Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction > Lord of the Rings

Old October 24th, 2004, 01:09 PM
besotted with buttons

is good sherina..look forward to more!! like the description of his feeling of awakening ..and her snores!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old October 24th, 2004, 03:27 PM
SherinaSue

Unseen Wounds Part V

Title: Unseen wounds
Author: Sherina
Rating: PG 13
Characters: Neryssa, Brendyl, Nerathnil
Category: LOTR, during the Fellowship sequence of events
Warning: elf/human sexuality
Summary: Neryssa and Nerathnil have a choice to make

A distant horn stirred him from his reverie. Thranduil’s guard- they might be searching for them even now. He gently nudged Neryssa awake. In the silent darkness, he held out her shift. He could not see the blood rushing to her face, yet he could feel the heat of it emanating from her. She was still awkward around him, even more so. He sensed she was waiting. For some word of censure, scolding, rejection…or praise. She would not be pleased to learn he had just bound her to himself for life, without asking her first. Not certain what he should say, Nerathnil reached out to take her hand, walking her back to the hall in companionable silence.
As they entered the hall, Neryssa knew she was blushing furiously, and was glad when it seemed that no one had witnessed their return. Nerathnil let his hand slip from hers, placing it in the small of her back to guide her. It seemed he intended to catch the attention of King Thranduil, but to what purpose, Neryssa thought in rising panic. Would he declaim her publicly? Had she broken some ancient elven law, and shamed one of their chief healers? In her state of distress, it took her a moment to realize the king’s attention was elsewhere needed. The entire hall was in an uproar.

“Peace,..” the King began to speak, but could barely be heard above the din. “PEACE!” he shouted again. This time, every head turned in the direction of the huge oaken dais. “I have had a missive from my kin, Celeborn, of Caras Galadhon.” Neryssa’s elvish wasn’t very good, so she was glad when Nerathnil leaned toward her ear, “A letter from the Lord of Lothlorien,” he explained. Well, at least he was speaking to her now. He continued to translate the King’s speech to her. “Legolas has passed through the wood, apparently they are on some errand to Mordor, a dreadful place, of deepest evil. He is still alive and well, but cannot come home until his mission is completed.” Nerathnil paused, and Neryssa caught his eyes. They were suddenly full of sadness.
“If this mission fails, all of Middle Earth will fall into ruin. We are instructed to prepare to leave our home here in Mirkwood.” She was confused- she thought this wood was about the safest, well-guarded place in Middle-earth.
“Leave? But where would you go? There, to Lothlorien?”
He shook his head sadly. “As your own home was destroyed, leaving you no place to return to, so would all the elven kingdoms fall, should Sauron’s evil prevail. No, we leave for the undying lands in the west. All the elven host are leaving Middle Earth very soon.” Neryssa gasped. She had not realized the fate of their entire world rested on the success of Legolas’s mission.

“You will go with them?” She hated herself for asking- no soft words of love had been spoken between them, surely she betrayed her feelings for him now. Nerathnil glanced down at her face. Stark terror showed in her eyes. It was Nerathnil’s nature to soothe his patients’ fears- and yet what he had yet to tell her could cause even more pain. He searched for some comfort to give her. Apparently he didn’t answer quickly enough to appease Neryssa. She burst into noisy tears and buried her face in his shoulder. Nerathnil shifted his feet uncomfortably. He was finding that he cared more for this girl’s tears than he had thought he would. They were arrows straight into his soul. Looking surreptitiously around him to see if they were being watched, Nerathnil steered her behind one of the ceiling supports, a broad pillar of Walnut tree trunk. He would not embarrass her before the entire company. One had seen them, however. Nerathnil watched the red-haired youth approach their shadowed haven, his face bewildered.
“What’s wrong, is she ill again?” the elf raised a silent hand and met the boy’s gaze. He silently shook his head, and tightened his hold on Neryssa. As he had hoped, the boy seemed to understand, his mouth rounding on a sudden,
“Oh!” He turned and walked away, understanding that Nerathnil was hiding his sister until she could control herself again. She hadn’t even been aware of her brother’s approach. She seemed to be an endless torrent of tears, and instead of calming down, she was actually working herself up into a loud wail. Nerathnil froze; this was not going at all well. He decided to take a lesson from Neryssa, and lowered his lips to swallow her sobs. She hiccuped into his mouth and looked up, surprised at his action. He bent his head till his lips grazed her ear, his words for her alone.

“I will not leave you, Neryssa. I intend to stay here, in Mirkwood until Legolas returns. Thranduil is not anxious to leave his son behind, but as King, he must lead his people to Valinor. He will honor my request to stay behind, for Legolas’s sake.” He raised her chin to look at her tear-stained face. “And you, Neryssa- would you stay also? I know not which path your brother will choose, but your choice is our own.”

Last edited by SherinaSue; October 24th, 2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old October 24th, 2004, 03:41 PM
MissAndrea

Wow, i don't mean to rush you .... but.... me wants more....

this is getting better and better....
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Enelya

I'm loving every word of this Sherina! More, more...

Enelya
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:07 PM
theoriginalvicki

Lets just say you got your point across, and my imagination took over!!
And now this...! Goodness this is just getting better and better!

Last edited by theoriginalvicki; October 24th, 2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:35 PM
SherinaSue

Category: LOTR, during the Fellowship sequence of events
Warning: um, nothing in this part, except a teeny elf baby!
Summary: Neryssa and Nerathnil have a choice to make

Her choice was her own. Neryssa kept repeating those words to herself over the next months, as she watched the people and possessions of thousands of years of elf-kind slowly fading from the ancient forest. She felt a great sadness at their passing- as if all the good were being drained from Middle Earth. And yet,.there was good here too. Nerathnil moved beside her, watching the line of his kin disappear beyond the borders of the wood. His arms wrapped around her waist- she did not think he was even aware that he had moved closer to her. Their relationship was still new and uncertain- they tried to behave like mere friends in the company of other elves, and sought each other’s touch only in the darkness. They were still awkward with one another, especially in the presence of Brendyl. Brendyl. At the thought of his name, Neryssa raised her eyes to see her brother standing solemnly at her side, his auburn head bent in sorrow. He would miss the many friends he had made among these elves, for he too had chosen to stay behind and fight whatever evil might arise.
Neither she nor Nerathnil had yet told him that the three of them would not be alone for long. Even now she could feel the child moving within her. Although she had never borne a child before, she sensed that the one she carried was very different from babes of men. She remembered the women in her village, some of whom had vividly described the experience for curious young ears. Not one of them had said that they could feel the child stop moving and appear to listen attentively whenever his mother spoke to him. Or that he leapt whenever his father was near. And that was another curious thing- she knew this was a boy child. It was as if he had told her himself, while she slept one night. She had awakened, and known at once she was with child- a son. Nerathnil had also known- no surprising him with the news, as she had planned. He simply nodded and looked at her in wonder- as far as he knew this would be the first elven child born in this age. Not the first half-elven child, for even Elrond himself was half-elven. He had asked that she not tell anyone else- he had not wanted Thranduil to feel he must stay behind, or to force Nerathnil and Neryssa to go with him to Valinor. Or worse yet- take Neryssa and the child with the company and leave he and Brendyl behind to await Legolas’s return. He did not think he could have borne this last fate. Although he had not yet spoken the words, Nerathnil knew the truth- his life and Neryssa’s had been forever entwined.

Last edited by SherinaSue; October 25th, 2004 at 02:52 AM.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Elven Queen in Training

Great story. It wasn't vague, it was nicely done.
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:52 PM
SherinaSue

Category: LOTR, during the Two Towers sequence of events
Warning: none in this part
Summary: Brendyl, Neryssa and Nerathnil journey to Helm's deep

Nerathnil listened intently to the raven perched on his palm. He was a messenger from Lothlorien. Haldir was leading a company of elves to Helm’s Deep- the people of Rohan were trapped there, and a battle was eminent. The bird had been sent to ask for Mirkwood warriors to join in the battle. Nerathnil shook his head sadly. “I am the only elf left in Mirkwood, friend. And I am no warrior. However, I am a healer, and my skills will surely be needed. Fly now to Haldir and tell him all I have told you.” He had gone then to find Brendyl, quietly explaining the situation. The boy’s eyes held a grave expression, and wisdom beyond his years.
“My village lay outside the lands of both Rohan and Gondor, and yet these men are still my people. I will go with you and lend my sword, to whatever end.” The lad had turned away to ready his pack, when he suddenly turned back. His sister’s secret was out now- he had seen her waist thickening of late. He had known it was Nerathnil’s child, but he had not yet confronted the elf.
“What of Neryssa? Helm’s Deep will be no place for her.” Nerathnil met the boy’s eyes, and a look of understanding passed between them. “There are surely some villages left in the plain, some that escaped our own fate. She can stay there until…until you or I can return for her.”
Nerathnil nodded grimly. He was not looking forward to the task of telling Neryssa she would be left behind. He found her in her usual spot. He and Brendyl had worked hard to clear a little garden for her, and she usually spent hours there, kneeling in the freshly turned earth. None of them had known how long they would wait here, or whether Neryssa would ever see her precious seedlings bear fruit, but it gave her something to occupy her days. He found her there now, turning over the soil with her bare hands. He understood her love for growing things- it was just that he had never been the one to sow the seeds, as she loved to do. Her hair was pulled back and tied at the nape of her neck, except for one small auburn tendril. She blew the errant lock out of her eyes. Nerathnil leaned back against the trunk of a tree to watch her, as he often did. She was humming a song under her breath and had not heard him approach. He loved to watch her strong form hard at work. True, her condition was apparent now, but he had never seen her slowed or made ill by his child. She stood now to stretch and press a hand to her lower back, the only sign of discomfort she ever gave. They had spoken of the fate of their child. Neryssa was very worried about the fact that she, a woman, was going to raise an immortal elf-child. She had asked, how would he be raised? Who would care for him when she was gone? But she had never asked about her own future, or about Nerathnil’s feelings for her. He sensed she was waiting for him to bring those things up. He knew he was a coward for not having dome so before now. With a deep breath, Nerathnil slipped quietly behind her, kneading the small of her back with his large hands. Neryssa sighed and leaned back against him.
“Thank you. That feels wonderful.” She turned toward him with laughter in her eyes, and then sobered when she saw his expression. “What is it? What has happened?” she asked, searching his face.
“Haldir and what is left of the Lothlorien elves are making their way toward the fortress of Helm’s Deep. Theoden, King of Rohan has led his people there for safety. An army of orcs traps them, and some new horror called “Uruk-Hai”. A messenger was sent to the elven warriors of Mirkwood to join the battle.”
Neryssa frowned at him in confusion.
“There are no elf warriors left in Mirkwood. Only you, me and Brendyl.”
“Yes, I am going as a healer, and Brendyl wishes to fight alongside his kinsmen. “ He watched her face carefully as she took in this information, steeling himself for what he knew would come next.

“And what of me? You plan to leave me here, alone in the Mirkwood?” With the spiders? she wanted to add. Nerathnil began to explain what he and Brendyl had planned, but stopped because Neryssa shook her head so hard it was making her dizzy. He reached out and caught her as she stumbled. He could feel the anger and panic emanating from her. He had known his Neryssa was no wilting flower to be left behind in times of danger.
“Please let me go with you! All the women and children of Rohan are there as well, let their fate be mine!” When he shook his head again, Neryssa grasped his tunic in both hands. “I want to be with other women when my time comes.”
Nerathnil stared at her in consternation. “That is many months away yet! I will have you and my babe somewhere safe. Do not protest, Neryssa.” He added quietly. “You are my…”
“What? She interrupted, ”Your wife? I am NOT your wife, that you may order me around.” A pained expression crossed his handsome features at her sharp tone. Neryssa winced and laid her hand on his chest.
“I’m sorry, it’s just…I know I am mortal. I don’t expect… It wouldn’t be fair to you to ask you to watch me grow old and die.” He lifted her face up to his. His eyes were lit with an intense green fire.
“Hear me, Neryssa. I would gladly take you to wife; I will spend with you every moment of whatever time is granted to us. There are no high elves here to hear our vows, but nonetheless in Elvish custom, our joining was enough to make you my wife.” He said this as a solemn vow. Neryssa was stunned by his words, but in her own mind, since no words had been said over them, she did not feel she was truly married. Her curious nature got the better of her. “Then what were you going to call me?”
He smiled tenderly down at her. “My Heart.”

The journey to Helm’s Deep, across the open plains, was a long and arduous one for Neryssa. She was six months gone with child, not yet cumbersome, but still uncomfortable. The walk was long, for the small company was on foot. Nerathnil owned no horse for them, and the elves had left none behind. She did her best to keep up the pace. Occasionally, when Neryssa’s back felt as though it would snap in two, and she could no longer lift one foot to set in front of the other, Nerathnil would lift her effortlessly and carry her in his arms. She laid her head against him, his dark tresses tickling her face. In those times, her sleepy thoughts often turned to her brother. Poor lad. There was no one to carry him when he tired. Not that he would have asked. Brendyl was swiftly becoming a man; proud and strong. If the elf could keep up the grueling pace, then he would too. Her brother’s proud face drifted in and out of her mind as she drifted off to sleep.

Neryssa awoke and tapped Nerathnil on the shoulder. This was her signal to him to set her on her feet. She tried not to make him carry her any farther than he had to. As her set her down, she glanced up and realized they were not alone. As far as she could see, there were elves, purple cloaked and well armed. She, Nerathnil and Brendyl took up the rear of their number. Nerathnil and Brendyl were both armed as well, with swords and daggers, and Brendyl also carried a pack of food. But Neryssa carried nothing, and no weapons. She had protested; Nerathnil had told her his son was burden enough for her. She had scoffed at him. “Women of my village plow fields nine months gone! Please, let me help.” He quelled her with a look.
“A small garden I have allowed, Neryssa- but you will plow no field.” He was deliberately missing her point, she knew, to avoid the issue at hand, but she said no more on the matter.

The sky was darkening with rain clouds when at last the company arrived at Helm’s Deep’s stronghold. Haldir, the leader of the elven company, led the elves inside to take their place on the wall. When at last the three of them entered at the gate, Neryssa could see she was the only woman in sight. The others had already gathered to the safety of the caverns below. Children, however, she saw aplenty. Scared boys, as young as ten summers, dragging swords too heavy for them to hold aloft. Her heart leapt to her throat. The peril of their situation finally hit her, and she would have cried, if not for the voice that broke through the throng to her ears.
Legolas! He was here, and yet alive! She ran forward and caught him halfway up the huge stone staircase. Without ceremony, she threw her arms around him and hugged him hard. He laughed and stepped back to hold her at arms length. His bright blue eyes swept down her rounded form, and then lit with a mischievous twinkle.
“I see you and Nerathnil have not succeeded in slaying one another. Either you have made another friend among the elves, or he no longer hates you, then?”
She laughed. “No, he doesn’t hate me.” Not that he had ever said he loved her, either, but she was certain it was not hate that stood between them. He had called her his heart after all. “ Tis glad I am to see you again, Legolas, but I would it had been under different circumstances.” His face sobered.
“I wonder at Nerathnil bringing you and the child into this battle, as he gave me his promise to keep you safe.” Neryssa averted her eyes from his serious gaze.
“ Do not fault him, Legolas. I would not allow him to leave me behind.” Nerathnil had stepped forward to stand behind Neryssa. “I regret to inform you that you and I are all that is left of the woodelves. Your father has taken the Mirkwood host on to Valinor.” Legolas nodded and then walked aside with Nerathnil.
“You were wed before the elves departed?”
Nerathnil met his friend’s gaze. “Neryssa believes there was no wedding. Your father, King Thranduil knew nothing of our…alliance. I know you asked me to watch over Neryssa. I wanted you to know I did not dishonor my promise to you, bringing her here.” Legolas clasped his friend’s shoulder warmly. “I know it, friend. You kept your promise well. Neryssa is a headstrong girl. She does as she will.” He smiled. “Tis truth I am glad to have you here. We will have need of healers this night. And the boy, his skills are improving?”
“Yes, he will be a great help in battle. I did try to leave Neryssa behind, but she would have none of it.” The two of them glanced across the parapet, to where Neryssa leaned down to speak to a young boy in a baggy mail jerkin. “She desired to share the fate of her people, whether good or ill. Neither Brendyl nor I could dissuade her.”

Nerathnil allowed Neryssa all the time he could on the wall, as he could see she wanted to speak to the children, but the hour of the battle was nearing. Legolas had already gone to arm himself for battle. Nerathnil approached Neryssa quietly, laying a hand on her shoulder. She raised her sad eyes to his and nodded. “I must take you below now, where you will be safe. I will find Brendyl and come down to you soon, before we are engaged in…before we have no more time.” He knew she was apprehensive about the battle ahead, so he said no more about it. There was something else troubling him at the moment. Guiding her into the inner hall, Nerathnil paused in a relatively deserted hallway. He caught her waist to turn her to him. His thumbs grazing her belly. His son. All the more reason to return to her whole. “Neryssa, I…” it was difficult to form thought with her lips so near his own. He didn’t try, satisfying his need for her touch before he went on. When at last he lifted his mouth from hers, he brought it near to her ear. “There are elves here who can hear our vows. I would,.. .I wish to have them said before I leave you. Would you have me, Neryssa?” He caught her close again, fearful of her answer. He had already lost so many he held dear, and the upcoming night might yet steal even more from him. He could not bear to hear her send him away now.
She snuggled her face into his neck, trembling. After what seemed to Nerathnil an eternity, she at last raised her head. And nipped the tip of his ear with her teeth. His eyes were deadly serious, he was too nervous for joking just how. Her eyes softened, and she took pity on him. “Yes, My elf. I will be your wife.” He smiled, no, grinned at hearing this. Taking her hand in his, he fairly ran to the outer wall to find his lifelong friend.
On one of the lower corridors of the battlements, Nerathnil at last spotted his friend. The battle for Helm’s Deep was near at hand, as the afternoon sunlight was waning in the west. Come nightfall, he knew his healing skills would be greatly called for. Just now, however, he had a different purpose in mind. Nerathnil approached his friend nervously. “Um, Legolas,…” The blonde elf looked up briefly from his task of carefully packing his arrows.
“Yes, Nerathnil?”
The dark haired elf cleared his throat again. “You are King Thranduil’s son.” That very obvious statement elicited a grin from Legolas. “And you are Nethranor’s son.” Nerathnil tried again.
“You are my Prince.”
“ What of it?” He was starting to enjoy watching Nerathnil shuffle his feet nervously. His keen eyes had already caught sight of Neryssa in a far corner of the battlement, watching them intently, her hands absently rubbing her stomach.
“Well, “ Nerathnil continued, “The other elves have all left Mirkwood for the Undying lands. You and I alone, of our people, are left behind.”
“So you have said.” Legolas stood and gave his friend an amused look, fighting down his laughter. After letting him suffer for a few moments in silence, Legolas at last decided to have pity on him.
“You wish for me to hear your vows?” He caught his friend’s shoulder in an affectionate squeeze, as Nerathnil let out his breath in one long sigh.
“Yes, we would. “
He turned and motioned for Neryssa, and to Brendyl, who had just entered the doorway. She joined them, a shy smile on her face. Legolas reached out to take her hand, laying it in Nerathnil’s. Neryssa could understand very little of the words he spoke over them, as they were in an even older form of Elvish than she knew. Nerathnil answered him solemnly in his deep, rich voice. Neryssa could not speak the words- she only knew to nod when Nerathnil squeezed her hand. When Legolas had finished speaking, the four stood for some moments in awkward silence. It was a strangely solemn occasion for Neryssa, whose experience of weddings had been boisterous banquets and throngs of well- wishers. She decided to break the quiet by stepping forward and kissing Legolas on the cheek. “I think Legolas approves.” She said with a smile. Her brother snorted behind her.
“’Course he approves, he performed the bloody ceremony!” Neryssa turned back and raised an eyebrow at her mannerless brother. “I was speaking of Legolas the younger, son of Nerathnil.” She glanced in question at her new husband to see if he approved. He was grinning from ear to ear. The elder Legolas, however, was taken aback. His mouth dropped open. Apparently having a child named after him was a new and very high honor. “I am flattered, Lady Neryssa.” His use of her new title reminded her of the day they had met. Her husband had a different reaction; he reached out and punched his friend playfully on the shoulder.
“I am not sure that is a good name for the child- the elder Legolas is quite meddlesome at times.”
Neryssa laughed and hooked one arm around her brother’s waist, and another about her husband’s. “I owe you much for your meddling, Legolas. You have brought me much that I had lost, or never would have found.”
A small figure, standing just at the edge of their little group, caught her attention. He was clearing his throat and jumping up and down impatiently. Legolas stepped aside to make room for him.
“My very good friend, Gimli son of Gloin” Neryssa glanced down at the dwarf in mild surprise. Very good friend? The letter she had received from Legolas, many months before, had bespoke animosity toward the dwarf. Obviously much had happened since then. She was still pondering on this when Legolas’s introduction shook her from her reverie. “Nerathnil, of Mirkwood, and his wife, Lady Neryssa.” Wife! That was the first time she had ever been addressed as such. She felt Nerathnil’s long hand on the small of her back, lending her his support. Gimli, being almost two feet shorter than Neryssa, was staring straight at her rounded belly. He blushed as red as his beard and quickly removed his helmet. It was apparent to her that dwarves must hold expectant mothers in reverence. His gesture touched her, and she knelt. “Well met, friend Gimli. If you will be fighting beside my husband, brother, and Legolas, I shall not fear.” His round face swelled with pride, and a twinkle lit his merry eyes.
“So I shall, Lady. And we will all return safely to you, I swear it. I for one, would like to see Legolas GIMLI, son of Nerathnil, when he arrives.”
They all laughed at this, but later, when she was below, in the safety of the cave with the women and children, Neryssa played the scene over and over in her mind. It helped her to take her mind of the battles cries over head. If they all survived this night, she would gladly add Gimli’s name to her son’s. Waiting below was indeed difficult, but soon Neryssa found herself surrounded by children, all eager to hear about her life with the elves. One curly headed little lad sat down on a stone beside her, and reached out to pat her tummy. His mother, appalled at his actions, moved forward immediately. “Here now! That is no way to treat a stranger, Linley!” Neryssa shook her head and smiled at the nervous young mother.
“No harm done. I like children.” And they took her mind off what was happening above, she thought to herself. The little boy shouldered up even closer to her. “My friend said he saw you come in with the elves. You are friends with them?” He asked, wonder in his small voice.
“Yes,a few of them. They were kind to me, after my village was destroyed.”
He nodded his little head wisely. “Will your baby be friends with the elves too?” Neryssa laughed at this.
“Can you keep a secret.Linley?” AT his solemn nod, she continued. “My baby IS an elf!” As soon as she said it, Neryssa felt a bit of worry. Already several mouths had dropped into silent “O”s, and a few of the women nearby were whispering. Would she be an outcast here now too, as she had been in Mirkwood? She had hoped to make friends with some of these women, especially the midwives, but she knew most of the race of men were fearful and superstitious about elves.
She need not have worried. Suddenly she was surrounded by a crowd of women and children, all firing off a hundred questions at her. What did elves eat? Did they do magic? Had they made that beautiful gown she was wearing? When they heard that she had actually been wed to an elf, that very afternoon, and in that very hall, there was no satisfying their curiosity. Neryssa found it kept her mind very busy finding answers to their questions. She used her voice, and her talent for keeping small children entertained, to keep the women and children around her from worrying. Even when a loud explosion sounded over head, and threatened to bring the cave roof crashing down on them, Neryssa went on. Panic and worry would not help them now.

Last edited by SherinaSue; October 26th, 2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old October 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Enelya

Sherina, I just love how you've developed the relationships of these characters! Well done!

Enelya
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Elizabeth

Wow, your amazing o.o This story is fantastic!
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM
MissAndrea

SherinaSue... this is absolutely beautiful... you're story makes me laugh AND cry at the same time!!! WOW is all i can say to that!!!

and AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW ... *quote: MY HEART*

beautiful!!
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM
theoriginalvicki

Just when I thought it can't get better than this...there it is!!
Way to go girl!!!!
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:18 PM
SherinaSue

Ok, here's my dilemma- I finished this story a year ago, and the only part left is kind of an epilogue. Do I go ahead and post the original ending, or try to rewrite and add more into the middle?
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:38 PM
theoriginalvicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherinaSue
Ok, here's my dilemma- I finished this story a year ago, and the only part left is kind of an epilogue. Do I go ahead and post the original ending, or try to rewrite and add more into the middle?
Either way you want to go, Sherina. But I would wait patiently if you want to go ahead and flesh out some more of the middle! You're on to something good here!
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Enelya

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginalvicki
Either way you want to go, Sherina. But I would wait patiently if you want to go ahead and flesh out some more of the middle! You're on to something good here!
I agree. But that's just my greedy need to have this terrific story go on forever. Sherina, you have to ask yourself, do YOU think the story is finished and complete. Are YOU happy with ending? If so, then I would go with that intuition. It's your story and you've done a wonderful job. You don't have to worry about keeping us happy--it's VERY apparent we've all enjoyed it!

Enelya
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:27 AM
SherinaSue

You know what? I'm going to make the ending a work in progress. I'll post my original ending, and then you all can tell me what you want me to go back and flesh out, Deal?
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Enelya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherinaSue
You know what? I'm going to make the ending a work in progress. I'll post my original ending, and then you all can tell me what you want me to go back and flesh out, Deal?
Well, since I've already said I'm greedy and want to hear more of your story, all I can say is--Bring it on!

Enelya
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM
SherinaSue

Changed my mind and decided to write a little more in the middle. I'm sick as a dog and have nothing better to do while I'm lying here moaning,

Category: LOTR, during the Two Towers sequence of events
Warning: depiction of aftermath of war
Summary: Picking up the pieces after Helm's Deep

Neryssa kept up her tales for hours, until her head began to droop and her voice grew hoarse. Linley’s mother sat down next to her and gently pulled Neryssa’s head onto her shoulder.
“I recognize that look, my Lady- you are needing a rest. I thank you for what you are doing for us, but you must sleep awhile now.” Neryssa barely had the energy to nod, and was soon asleep. It seemed she had just closed her eyes when a loud shouting arose from the women.

“It is dawn!”
“Gandalf has arrived!”
“The Rohirrim!”
“The battle is turned!”
So much confusion- Neryssa could barely register that the doors above them had opened and men begun filtering down to find their families. Amidst the shouts of joy, there was much wailing too- not all had returned. Neryssa felt her heart lurch, watching in vain for a dark haired elf or a red haired boy. She fought her way up through the throng, heedless of the pushing and shoving.
“Please, the elf, the dark haired healer, where is he?” She asked over and over. Finally reaching the door, Neryssa gasped. The dead and wounded lay everywhere- it was a wonder to her as many had survived. The stench of blood reached her nostrils and she choked. Not all were human bodies, some orcs, and some hideous hulking creatures she did not recognize. Men were working to drag loved ones out of the wreckage, tending to wounded and making an attempt to bury the dead under mounds of fallen rock. Neryssa felt a rising panic. The scene was much too much like that of her own village, all of the bodies of friends and neighbors. There were corpses of children here too- she recognized many of the young faces she’d spoken to yesterday. Her eyes glazed over with tears, unable to take all this in. When a strong pair of hands grasped her shoulders, she screamed.
“Nay, My lady! I mean not to frighten you- this is no place-“
“She is with me.” Nerathnil’s voice sounded from across the parapet, interrupting the well-meaning Rohan man who had held her. Neryssa dashed the tears from her eyes and ran as best she could, to her husband. She flung herself at him, unheeding of the smell of death that clung to his clothing.
“Nerathnil! I was so afraid! I couldn’t have borne it if you…” He shushed her and stroked her hair, holding her against his pounding heart.
“I too feared, my Heart. There was an explosion we all felt sure must have caused a cave-in. There was no time to check on the welfare of those below. Thank Eru you and the babe are well.” He raised her face from his shoulder to cover her mouth reverently with his own. Neryssa let herself drift in his kiss for a moment, until a nagging thought interrupted her bliss. She broke contact to meet his eyes.
“Where is my brother?”

Neryssa sat on the large fallen tree trunk at the edge of the wood, watching her son chase butterflies. He was a tall boy, for only having seen four summers, but he was slightly built. She smiled as the afternoon sunlight glanced off his hair. And Legolas Gimli Brendyl, son of Nerathnil, affectionately called Brendolas by his Mother, was the only red-headed elf she had ever seen. He had neither his father’s nor his mother’s green eyes, though. His were a clear, sky blue, as her own mother’s had been. And Brendyl’s. Neryssa’s smile faded at that thought, but she pushed it out of her mind, concentrating on the little boy instead. He was such a joy to her. And even though Neryssa had not met many elves, she knew even by their standards, he was a special child. Legolas could understand any language spoken to him, be it Elvish, Common Speech, bird speech, or even Gimli’s garbled attempts to teach him Dwarvish. Neryssa didn’t see how anyone could make out that guttural noise, but her son had simply nodded and done whatever it was Gimli had asked of him. He and Legolas had come to visit them often, helping Nerathnil train the lad in the ways of both healers and warriors. Neryssa had scoffed at the idea of a boy so young taking up arms, but the other three had given her such blank stares; she had given up the argument. She had insisted that he be allowed equal time with her in the garden in return. He had proved to be as gifted with growing things as he was with everything else, nursing even the sickliest of plants back to the peak of health. Nerathnil had laughed at that- Apparently his son was the best of both parents; he was a healer- for plants. She had been glad to see her husband smile, as he had been far too dismal of late. Oh, she pondered, he still enjoyed spending time with her, and with Legolas, but he was withdrawn too. She looked around at the deserted Wood-elf camp that was her home. Here, where Nerathnil had withdrawn from the worlds of both elves and men, after Helm’s Deep. He still had not forgiven himself for her brother’s death, Neryssa knew.
He had knelt over Brendyl for hours, leaving the other wounded to other healers, but to no avail. The wounds were too numerous and too deep, even for as skilled a healer as he was. At last he had swept a hand over Brendyl’s face, muttered a few words in Elvish, and met his wife’s red-rimmed eyes. There was such a deep sadness in his own green depths that she had looked away from him. Nerathnil had never accepted the fact that he had let this mortal, who had had too short a time allotted to begin with, slip away from him. They had shared their grief in silence, and then had asked permission to bury him among the fallen heroes. So many dead…
Tears slipped silently down her cheeks. She looked up to see little Brendolas standing before her. He ran a small, thin finger under her lashes, looking at her in question. “I was remembering your Uncle Brendyl. You looked so like him just now. I wish you could have met him.”
Legolas stared at his mother for a few more minutes, and then knelt to point to the ground beside her. A dead bird lay there; its sightless eyes staring upward. Neryssa swallowed.
“Yes, son. He is dead, like the bird. He cannot come back to us.” Legolas lightly smoothed the bird’s feathers, and then made a fluttering motion with his hand. Neryssa knew he was trying to tell her something important. She had learned to read her son’s hand signs well these last few years. For though the boy could understand anything said to him, he had never uttered a sound. Not even as a babe. When he was born, he had simply opened his eyes, and took a deep, shuddering breath, but he had not cried. Truth be told, she had only known he was hungry when he had rooted against her in her arms. She and Nerathnil both understood his motions well. She watched what he was doing now. He raised his arm, and then stood, still fluttering his hand as high as he could reach. Then he raised his small face to the sky. Now he stood with both arms raised. His serious young eyes lowered to meet his mother’s. Neryssa felt a small chill go through her as he approached where she sat. His fingers drifted down to rest on her shoulders. She cocked her head at him, trying to understand. Then she heard it. A tiny voice, in her head, clear as the sky above her. "He is not gone, Mother. He is here, with you.” Neryssa caught her son up in a shaky embrace. She loved the lad dearly, but sometimes he frightened her.
Later, when Brendolas lay curled up on his cot asleep, Neryssa leaned back against her husband in thought. She reached up and twirled a piece of his long ebony hair around her finger.

“Has our son ever…spoken to you?” She could feel Nerathnil’s frown against her head.
“I’ve told you, Neryssa, I have examined him thoroughly, and although I can find no cause, he has never made any sound at all. Why do you ask me again?” She rolled over and kissed him lightly, to ease his frown.
“I know that, Husband. I just, I think he spoke to me today. In my head.” His eyebrows rose, and he was very silent for awhile. “I heard him clearly, but he had not spoken aloud, I am sure of it.”
Nerathnil thought about this. “I have heard of elves, usually very high elves, which can do this. Galadriel of Lorien is said to be one, although I have never met her. If this is so, he possesses a rare gift.” He looked down at her; his eyes mirroring her own feelings of wonder, and a little dread. Their son was only four years, and yet he was quickly surpassing his parent’s own skills. What would the future hold for him?

“Nerathnil, my Love, I think it’s time.” He looked at her in question. “Time to take Brendolas to live with other elves, elves who can teach him more than we can. Maybe we should make the journey on to Valinor, to Legolas’s people.” She had meant Legolas son of Thranduil, but even as she said it, she realized they were her son’s people too. He hadn’t known many elves in his short life, but he had known even fewer humans.
He held her close against his heart, considering what this would mean for them. Perhaps he had hidden in this wood long enough. Soon Nerathnil realized he was alone with his thoughts. His wife snored lightly against his chest, while his son slept quietly at his feet. He would miss the solitude of their little forest glade, but he knew she was right. The boy could not stay hidden here forever. At dawn’s first light, he would lead his family westward to his people.

Last edited by SherinaSue; October 26th, 2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Elizabeth

Wow, Sherina, I love this! Its wonderful
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM
SherinaSue

Thanks! And to everyone for their kind comments. That's all I have, unless you all have anymore suggestions?
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:06 PM
MissAndrea

It's a great ending to a fantastic story, with room for more .

Of course this can wait for as long as you need to come up with a sequal. AND until you are feeling better of course!
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:49 PM
theoriginalvicki

Yeah, Sherina! It is good!!
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Elven Queen in Training

Great story. Loved how you integrated the characters.
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Enelya

I loved every word of it! This is a terrific story! Hope you're feeling better soon, hon.

Enelya
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:46 AM
SherinaSue

I am so very flattered, I wish I had more to say! I had ideas for Brendolas, but they never seemed to go anywhere for me.