Go Back   Orlando Love > Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction > Lord of the Rings

Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Fare Well My Friend

Hello!! Surprised to hear from me I bet! This is a story I started writing for a Legolas challange last year. I didn't finish it then, but I came across it the other day and had the urge to put the finishing touches on it. Hope you like it.

BellaU

~*~*~*~

Title: Fare Well My Friend
Author: Belladonna Underhill AKA BellaU
Disclaimer: I don’t own them and if I did I would squeeze them, and hug them, and take care of them, and give them lots of carrots…
Category: Movie/Book based on LOTR – the appendices
Type: Angst – You may need Kleenex – you may not – s’all I’m saying…
Rating: PG
Characters: Legolas and Aragorn
Warnings: Hints of Death
Brief Summary: Legolas must let go, if he can.
Author’s Notes: I had been trying to find that thread that would find Legolas in something other than a certain Ranger’s arms… then something happened a while back. It has to do with an ambulance that passed me on the freeway and my father who passed away year before last after a long ambulance ride from Illinois to Wisconsin. For that short moment when the ambulance moved past my car I swear my dad was in the car with me. First I heard someone say “Hang in there Norb” then a heavy feeling accompanying a smell that I can only attribute to my dad. (Yes – my father was the King of ‘pull my finger’) It was over in a minute and at first made me smile; then the feeling, sound and the smell left me with tears telling him I loved and missed him terribly. Suddenly I knew just where Legolas had been hiding…

~*~*~*~

Fare Well My Friend

“It’s nearly time,” he said simply, his sharp eyes gazing out over Pellanor Fields to Osgilliath beyond. His hair now silver flitted in the breezes around his rugged face that showed his long lived years in gentle lines.

Legolas said nothing, his heart too near to breaking to acknowledge Aragorn’s words. He had feared this moment for far too long. He and Gimli had vowed never to speak of it many years earlier. Then the courier found them just days before on the borders of Fangorn Forest neither could speak, only nodding at the king’s wish that they come to Gondor immediately.

Aragorn’s eyes moved to him. “You have nothing to say?”

“What would you like me to say?” Legolas asked in return, the quiver in his voice clearly evident to his friend.

“Legolas, this has been long coming.”

“I know, yet knowing does not make it easier.”

“I’ve lived a long life…”

“And it can be longer Aragorn if you sailed into the West with Gimli and I!” he interjected more forcefully than he had intended. Aragorn only watched him as he tried to regain his composure. Legolas turned away from him, only to be met with the vision of the pedestal that would be his tomb standing between the two smaller pedestals of Merry and Pippin, his hobbit honor guard. A shiver passed through the elf. For all his years he would never be able to understand why his friends had to die.

Aragorn moved closer to him, placing a calming hand on his shoulder. “Do not mourn me Legolas. Remember me as I was and I will always be with you. You must be strong.”

“I don’t wish to be strong,” Legolas sighed. “I wish to take you to a farther shore.”

“I know,” Aragorn smiled, nodding slightly. “But understand this Legolas. While I will not make that journey with you, know that I will be waiting there for you on that farther shore where the warmth of the sun never wanes and the sea sparkles like glass.”

Legolas turned and looked at him, the sorrow in his eyes not so painful to suffer. “You’ll be there. You promise?”

“I promise,” Aragorn smiled, pulling him into his arms and hugging him tightly. “How by the grace of the Valar, could I go onto the halls of my fathers, without my elf at my side?”

Legolas held him tightly, burying his face against his shoulder. He still felt the loss and knew he always would. Yet the peace of knowing they would one day be together again eased the pain in his heart and he was able to let go.

~*~*~*~

Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Dreamer

Bella that is beautiful, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. Those bonds are deeper than time or place and it is a comfort to know that they will find each other again.

Thank you so much for sharing and it is good to see you!!!

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
besotted with buttons

Oh Bella, such emotion and vulnerability from Legolas, all that history tied up in one moment. I really love how you have instantly found them although in a time beyond. It is a really beautiful piece of writing.
Quote:
“And it can be longer Aragorn if you sailed into the West with Gimli and I!” he interjected more forcefully than he had intended. Aragorn only watched him as he tried to regain his composure. Legolas turned away from him, only to be met with the vision of the pedestal that would be his tomb
Just wow.

And thank you also for the explanation of how this came about, am sitting here smiling with tears in my eyes too. We miss you around here X

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
Imagination Rules!

Bella, what a treat. Vulnerable Legolas and stoic Aragorn. I really enjoyed this, except it just left me wanting more.

So lovingly written, well done my dear.

cheers
Luna
xx

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:50 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Thank you so much Ki, Nuit and Luna. I really appreciate the wonderful comments.

It was an emotional piece to write - I originally started it the day after that ambulance drove past me, but just couldn't finish it. While finishing, it wasn't without a few tears. Have to believe that those who go before, will be waiting to greet us on the other side. Whether it be here on earth or in the Middle. :)
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:00 AM
Dreamer

Bella I found your words about your Dad very overwhelming and have gone back and read over them again. No one truly leaves us, they walk our dreams or find the way to remind us they are still around. I like how it is in the way that your Dad was and you know that was truly him and I can imagine he would have been a having a bit of a laugh.

Thanks again for this. It is appreciated in more ways than you can imagine. XX

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
Passionately Enthralled

(((Ki)))) Thanks again. I believe they do stay with us.

I've no doubt Dad was havin' a laugh. Leaving a special surprise behind as he got out of a car was always one of his favorites. :p
Old November 7th, 2008, 04:39 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Good to see you again Bella, and especially with such a fabulous piece
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Thank you Avalon.
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Orlando's Shadow King

AHHH! This was so lovely! I'd always imagined it would be hard for Legolas at Aragorn's deathbed. You captured that very well!
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks so much Guin.