Go Back   Orlando Love > Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction > Lord of the Rings

Old August 13th, 2011, 10:59 PM
The Dimension Jumper

Unexpected Light

Hi, folks. Having thought it over for a while, I am finally going to introduce my LOTR stories to the Forum. These are but one part of a much larger story arc involving my main character, who has her home in one dimension (which is a crossover -- heck, everything I write is a crossover...) and is both often the victim of being tossed across dimensions somewhere along with various others, or has the power to instigate it herself, being a magically empowered person who knows her limits.

So, if you want to read more about her, you are more than welcome to go exploring through the rest of my stories, which are all accessible through the links that are included with each chapter of my LOTR stuff. In the main section of my website's story area there is even a timeline for all my stories to help you should you need it. But at any rate, bring on the Ring adventures!

Standard Stuff (which I hope I have right):

• Title: Unexpected Light: FOTR; Unexpected Light: TTT; and Unexpected Light: ROTK, all currently up chapters on my website
  • Author: Istariel, with help from a lot of folks but mostly Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyd, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the master, J.R.R. Tolkien for the Lord of the Rings stuff; Steven J Cannell for the A-Team; and Saban for the original (and best, IMO) Power Rangers
  • Disclaimer: none of this is mine save the various OCs (you'll know who I'm talking about) -- this is pure enjoyment and writing fervor. If you go adventuring on the rest of my website, please read the other pertinent disclaimers in each section, thank you!
  • Category: combination movie and book verse for Lord of the Rings, crossed with The A-Team and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers season 1 and half of 2, along with the occasional mention of other stuff (YES, I'm weird…)
  • Type: general fiction of an adventure and fun sort (come on, it's LOTR and action shows…!)
  • Rating: PG-13 -- I never write more than that when I'm actually publishing. I want all ages to enjoy!
  • Characters: see end titles of any LOTR movie for character listing; the team (Hannibal, B.A., Face, Murdock, and Amy), and the original Rangers (Jason, Tommy, Kim, Trini, Billy, and Zack)
  • Warning: other than my occasional oddball humor, none
  • Brief Summary: My main OC character Micky and her friends and family get zapped to a movie-verse LOTR variant with plenty of book-verse influences, and have a grand adventure (with a few hairy bits in battle) through the War of the Ring -- including new family members…

Okay, now that's been read, here's the link to The Path to Mirkwood section of my Wolf Songs on my personal website:

http://istarielsshadowdoor.gogax.com...s/Mirkwood.htm
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM
The Dimension Jumper

No response? I know it's posted off-site and big, but surely someone's had some thoughts about whether this is good or bad...
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Give it a bump after the site has moved. A lot of stuff going on right now.
But thanks for posting Istariel! Don't loose heart
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:38 AM
The Dimension Jumper

Okay...poking thread...
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM
The Dimension Jumper

Jeez-oh-criminy...it rains and it pours! My website host has gone through a HUGE change and upgrade (and I mean huge), so it may cause my link to be temporarily broken as I migrate everything to the new servers (sound familar?). But I will be doing this as quickly as possible and fixing what gets busted in the move. Crud and creuption...
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:29 PM
besotted with buttons

Have you perhaps got a little sample story you could post thats a stand alone for people to read? Sometimes it can be a little over whelming to be faced with a large epic!
Good luck with moving your stuff!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old October 1st, 2011, 07:06 AM
The Dimension Jumper

I'll go see what I can find in he manner of a short-story teaser next week...right now I'm fried from almost constant pet-sitting (in locations six miles from home requiring time to get out there in addition to actual job time), 2 or 3 times a day (depending on which client, the latter of which left on the day the priors came home) for the last three weeks! And it ain't over yet.

When it is over Tuesday afternoon, I will have gotten my life back. When I have recovered from all of that on top of making cards constantly for a show on the 22nd, I'm going to be trying to do all the moving of the website when I can between the card-making, updating the private-view-only (as in I e-mail the location's URL to you and extract a promise that it doesn't get spread around) online greeting card catalog, and the online class's homework.

I have told my mother it means Doom, Death, and Destruction to whomever wakes me up before nine on Wednesday morning...
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:46 AM
The Dimension Jumper

A Teaser...

Okay, here's just a little snippet of some of what I've written, and I hope you enjoy!

Title: It's Snowing, a part of Unexpected Light, all currently up chapters on my website. If you wish to explore the other stories on my website, the new home is at http://istarielsshadowdoor.gogaxdns....s/Mirkwood.htm. At the moment I'm not guarenteeing all the links as it just got migrated to the new servers on Gogax.

Author: Istariel (with help from Effigy, who wrote the original version of the story It's Snowing, which I have incorporated into my own story as a flash-back).

Disclaimer: none of this is mine save the various OCs (you'll know who I'm talking about) -- this is pure enjoyment and writing fervor. If you go adventuring on the rest of my website, please read the other pertinent disclaimers in each section, thank you!

Category: combination movie and book verse for Lord of the Rings

Type: general fiction of an adventure and fun sort (come on, it's LOTR…)

Rating: PG-13 -- I never write more than that when I'm publishing. I want all ages to enjoy!

Characters: see end titles of any LOTR movie for character listing, plus the OCs you will know when you hit them

Warning: other than my occasional humor, none

Brief Summary: My main character Micky and her friends and family get zapped to a movie-verse LOTR variant with plenty of book-verse influences, and have a grand adventure (with a few hairy bits in battle) through the War of the Ring -- including new family members…! In this story, it's a little interlude after the Battle of Helm's Deep and Pippin's departure with Gandalf.

It's Snowing!
By Effigy
(With an Istariel Twist)

It was the day after Gandalf and Pippin had left for Minas Tirith following Pippin's look in the palantír. The night before, clouds had gathered, making the people of Edoras go around muttering about a possible snow before the storm passed by. At any rate, it was cold outdoors, with a wind.

In the Great Hall of Meduseld, two small boys sat at a table. They were bored stiff with no new games to play, and no food because it was midmorning, too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. They were also angry because the night they came back, all the adults'd had a huge party that no little kids could go to, and then had all spent the day yesterday either worrying about what Pippin saw in that weird stone or "sleeping it off".

And Pippin (who was fun) was gone...which made Merry (who was also fun) sad and gloomy to the point where they weren't sure if he wanted to be left alone or be willing to play and be cheered up by them. Micky had been doing things yesterday too...important things that her powers alone could manage, while Gimli slept (he was one of the ones "sleeping it off", whatever it was) and Legolas had manufactured arrows because all the ones he could have collected had been damaged.

"I wish it would snow," said Jesse. "I've hardly seen snow."

"Livin' on th' coast, guess nae. Nae vacations in snowy mountains?"

"Nuh-uh...too little yet, mummy says. She's afraid I get lost."

"Maybe if y'come wi' us, we keep y'from gettin' lost."

"I'm bored, Firebomb. We played all our games twice already."

"I'm still nae sure about seein' if Merry wants t'play...he misses Pippin."

"Yah...me too."

"Uh-huh."

"But if we try to find something to do..."

"...we usually get in trouble, aye…"

In another part of the room, just coming out of the corridor leading to the large room the Fellowship and sundry now occupied were five figures. One was Aragorn, walking with his hand companionably on Merry's shoulders. Merry looked a bit miserable. Their companions were the Dwarf, the Elf, and the Wolfblood.

Micky spotted the two little boys kicking their heels on the bench legs and moved in that direction. The others followed for lack of anything else to do…Théoden was being a bit stubborn about getting ready for war should Gondor call for aid.

"Here's the little lads, then," rumbled Gimli as he sat down on another bench and fished out his pipe and 'baccy-pouch.

"Hi, Gimli," they duetted in a listless tone.

"Hmmm...looks like there are two small people who are utterly...bored," said Aragorn, sitting down also and taking out his pipe like Gimli had.

"We wish it would snow, Ar'gorn, even a little that melts fast," said Jesse.

"Yah...we played an' played inside…but we're bored now," added Firebomb.

"Can't control the weather, lads…" said Gimli, packing his pipe-bowl.

"Micky c'n!" said Firebomb, brightening.

"But nae on whims, cublin'. Weather manipulation is dangerous."

"Awww...guess we're back to wishin' we could go out inna snow," moaned Jesse.

Legolas began laughing a little, which drew the attention of his companions.

"What is it, Legolas?" asked Aragorn, puffing his pipe to life.

"Oh, Jesse just reminded me of a little Elfling I once knew who made an indoor snow maid."

"Y'canna make snow maids inside, Leg'las!" protested Firebomb.

"Yeah...the snow melts," said Jesse.

"Nonetheless, this Elfling did make a snow maid indoors."

"How? Is it a true story, really?" both little boys demanded.

"Yes, it's a true story…I said I knew the Elfling in question. If I tell you the story, do you promise me not to try and repeat the trick? I don't want anyone with enough weapons for an army on their body to clip my ears..."

Both lads laughed...they knew who he meant; they didn't need their Elvish friend's teasing eyes on Micky to tell them. "We promise, Leg'las," said Firebomb, echoed immediately by Jesse.

"All right…this is what this Elfling I knew did to make an indoor snow maid."

Two sparkling eyes peered out the window and looked out at the gray sky.

It was snowing.

Large snowflakes drifted down and landed on the already covered ground. Elves of all sizes were out playing in the snow. But this Elfling was inside staring out. He was grounded for sneaking into the kitchen and making a late night snack. Which in itself was not really that punishable, since said Elfling's father and siblings did it all the time and had introduced him to it.

No, it was rather that the Elfling had decided he wanted bread and honey…but found that there was no bread; the cook hadn't made enough that morning to have the usual loaf or two left over after the last meal of the day. Therefore, he'd tried to make some. Therefore, disaster had resulted. It took forever to get the flour out of his hair.

Currently, his task was to clean the kitchen, but he had become distracted quickly with the snow falling outside. Tearing his eyes away from the joyous scene of the outside world, he began to sweep up the flour on the floor. It lightly powdered the floor, and when he swept, little streaks of flour remained on the dark wood.

He stopped sweeping and glanced around. It looked like snow. A mischievous grin grew on his face. He turned and grabbed a stool. With loud screeching sounds, he dragged it to the counter. He climbed up quickly and crawled to where the jar of flour was kept. He took the painted ceramic top off and stared at the fluffy whiteness inside.

If ada catches me, then I'll be in ada's more trouble. But I'm IN trouble now. And kitchen's already a mess… He shoved his tiny hand into the ceramic jar and grabbed a handful of flour. He stared at the powdery substance for a second and sighed…sending the flour up into the air and onto his face. It was perfect. Just like snow, but without the cold.

He snatched the jar of flour and carefully leaped to the ground. Handful after handful he threw the flour into the air and danced around as it drifted gracefully to the ground. He watched as it covered the countertops and floor in a fine layer. But this moment of bliss was just momentary. All too soon the jar was empty.

There must be more. Cook made food for many people everyday, including lots of things that needed flour. Where could the rest be? He scaled the countertop once more to start his quest for more flour, opening jars as he went.

Brown stuff, more brown stuff, green leafy stuff. Where? His eyes rested on the final jar, and he slowly opened it. Found it!

He poured the entire contents onto the floor and hopped to the ground. He got on his hands and knees and spread the flour out. Turning around, he laid back with his arms and legs sprawled out beside him. Giggling to himself, he moved his arms and legs in an up and down motion to make a snow maid, just like he would have done outside.

"Lashín!"

"Ada, look!" He stood up and turned and pointed at where he was previously sitting. "I made a snow maiden!" In the flour there was an imprint of a lady in a long, flowing dress.

"Ai, Lashín. What am I going to do with you?"

"Help get flour! See...looks like snow!"

"Look
at you! You are covered from head to toe. You look like a ghost…and Bargin will have a fit all over again. And the kitchen is still a mess."

"I wanted to play in the snow. Can I go outside?"

"Not yet. If you clean this mess up before sundown, I'll let you go play outside until sunset. But you need to hurry."

"Yes, ada!" Lashín grabbed the broom and began to sweep the flour into a pile. And with each brush, he left behind flour streaks.

The boys were giggling, while Gimli was making soft snorting sounds. Micky was laughing, while Aragorn was chuckling around his pipe.

"Did Lashín ever get to go outside?" asked Jesse.

"Yes, he did...he got to play in the snow for almost half an hour before the sun went down. And it snowed all night, so when he got up, he got to go out and play with his older brothers...and they even convinced their father to come and play also, because it was the first time they had actually really had a good time since their mother had gone."

"Gone?" asked Firebomb.

"An Elf-year is one hundred and forty-four human years. His mother was badly injured by a spider attack when he was barely seventy, and the only cure was in Valinor. So she went West over the sea. It was the first time they'd been truly happy since she'd had to leave them."

"Lashín must have been very sad when she left," said Merry softly, thinking of Pippin.

"Yes...that was true." Legolas said softly. "Lashín was what she called him, and what his father called him until her memory didn't hurt so much...it was a way to hang on. Not too long after that they started using his real name."

"What does Lashín mean?" asked Firebomb.

"It means leaf-child." Legolas smiled a little. The two little boys blinked at him.

"Y'know th' story's end 'cause..." started Firebomb.

"...Lashín was you?" demanded Jesse.

Legolas laughed. "Yes, that was me. I was very little at the time, smaller than the two of you at what would be almost two or so in human terms…around three hundred years for an Elf. And I loved the snow."

"Never knew you were such a troublemaker, Master Elf," chuckled Gimli.

"Ha! Wait until we start with the prank wars with Elrond's two sons," Aragorn informed them.

"Oh, yes...with their always-put-upon younger brother Estel..." Legolas shot back.

"I was just happy enough to find someone who could keep up with them..." Aragorn snorted.

"And I was happy to find a co-conspirator...two against one for so many years until you came along was not exactly fun..."

"Heh...those two try ennathin' on me they'll find out I ain't called Queen o' Pranks f'r nothing."

"Oh no!" moaned Aragorn.

This made Merry actually laugh and crack a smile for the first time since Pippin left. Gimli was laughing at them all around his pipe, while the little boys were giggling hard enough to have trouble staying upright. Micky was laughing openly, her voice ringing merrily in the Hall.

Just then Éowyn came rushing in, tying on a warm cloak, gloves dangling from a hand. "What are you all laughing about?" she asked, pausing briefly.

"Pranks and pranksters," laughed Legolas.

"Oh...I see."

"Where are y'goin', Éowyn?" asked Micky, wiping her eyes as the woman went to the Great Hall's doors.

"Outside!" she replied, a little smile on her face. "The wind has lessened. And it's snowing!"

As she spoke she threw open the great doors to reveal big, fat flakes of white sailing down from the sky, adding to the three inches or so of fluffiness already on the ground. It was the kind of snow that comes down fast and magically like feathers for a few hours or maybe a day's enjoyment -- then vanishes in a day of sun or rain that invariably follows, which is why it always has to be enjoyed right then, regardless of anything else planned for that time.

The boys gave a yell and scrambled up, running for their cloaks and jumping up and down as they fastened them on, urging their companions to hurry as the rest put their own cloaks on a little more slowly. Even Théoden and Éomer appeared to at least stand in the doorway and watch as the little boys tore out the door and began chasing their companions all around, laughing happily.

Micky stood on the steps to the stone porch, her hair flaring outward in the wind, dotted with white flakes. Legolas paused beside her as the boys pounced on Gimli. Aragorn stood with Éowyn, Éomer, and the king, watching with smiles as Merry tried to help the Dwarf shake his attackers. The Elf glanced down and smiled.

She looked up and smiled back...then tackled him with a giggle, knocking him backwards onto the snow. She rolled over, and the two lay on their backs for a moment...then began swinging their arms and legs. After a minute, they scrambled up and took a look. Legolas laughed loudly, gaining the attention of the others.

"Look! We made snow maidens!" squealed Micky. Legolas grabbed her under the arms and began swinging her around in circles as he pirouetted, the snow flying about them as they laughed. He set her down and hugged her, his cheek on the top of her head, reveling in the love of new family as the little boys hurled snowballs at Merry and Gimli (who were hurling snowballs back), making their audience laugh.