Go Back   Orlando Love > Announcements > Board Announcements

Old September 26th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Orlando Love will close

Dearest fellow O-lovers.

With pain in our hearts we have to announce that Orlando Love as you know it, will soon close.

We’re facing another year of hosting the domain and the costs are considerable.
We have reached a point where we have to decide about the future of the board.
Much has changed since the start of Orlando Love.
The last few years the number of visits, posts and comments has been reduced to almost zero.
In the early days it was a lively site and a source of information for many Orlando fan.
Times are different now. Almost everyone has access to a mobile phone and is constantly connected to the world.
Social Media has taken over part of the job we used to do. We get our news directly from the source.
Orlando has his own Instagram, Facebook. Interaction is just a click away.
Who would have thought this was possible a decade ago!

Meanwhile we have started a Facebook Page and group and we have OL Twitter, so we will continue to provide news, photo’s and interviews there.

So taken all that into consideration, we have decided to let it go. We’re keeping the domain, but we have no idea how the site will look after the date of expiration.
If anyone wants to save anything from the board to your computer now is the time to do it.

What will remain are the bonds, the friendships forged here at Orlando Love.
The memories of all those fantastic years with so many highs and a few lows.
All those moments we shared together and with Orlando.
It still is amazing to see how many people Orlando has inspired to write, draw, create, travel and meet-up, all because of him.
A big big thank you to all those wonderful people who contributed in so many ways to this board.
Everyone who was ever part of the moderation team.
The die-hards -you know who you are-, who have stuck with us to the very end.
We are immensely grateful for that. That will never be forgotten.
THANK YOU!!

So with pain in our hearts , I write this last goodbye, on behalf of Nel and Lola too
and I do hope we will meet again a click away at our FB page and our FB group
The page is for news and the group is for chat and fun!

and remember BGH forever!!!

Andnolewen x
Old September 26th, 2018, 09:57 PM
Photo Fanatic

]To OL'ers,

Having been a member of this board from the beginning, I am sad to see it go, but it is time. Will keep all the friendships and memories forever, We will move on to the FB pages and Orlando's own postings, which is something we never would have imagined! Good-bye amd God bless!

Last edited by caseymochridh; September 26th, 2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old September 26th, 2018, 10:55 PM
besotted with buttons

I always knew this day would come of course, and always dreaded it. Some of the best times ever are recorded here in stories, conversations, graphics, records of friendships and truly inspired connections. I feel sad that this little corner will be slipping into the ether, but I do understand. Will write to say goodbye later but just to wanted to acknowledge what an amazing creative place this had been and how dear I hold those memories xx

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old September 27th, 2018, 12:24 AM
kissing will turner !

Dear OL members
I’ve been part of ol for 12 years and I’ve made wonderful friends there( Carola Tonny Lola Remacho Gloria etc ... love ❤️ you all !) i am �� that the bord is closing ! I felt at home here! But bonds that I made with friends there will always be alive !
Thanks ol and Orlando ❤️
Lola aka lilouche-turner

sig set by Nenya thanks darling
i love you William Turner!

Last edited by lilouche-turner; September 27th, 2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old September 27th, 2018, 03:12 AM
at worldīs end and beyond

I cannot agree more with all whatīs been said above. We were waiting for this moment to never happen, but in the end we had to face the truth.
However, as Gandalf says, "no , this is not the end..." .
thereīs a way to download the board to your hard drives , using this tool
https://www.httrack.com/
and right now I am looking for info on how big this site is and all its contents, so you can be prepared.
I brb to this thread later with that info

Orlando Love IS our second home and I cannot be more greatful because thanks to this place I made friends FOR LIFE. That is priceless.
We will continue in touch for the rest of our lives, so thatīs the best legacy this place can leave me.

see you out there!
Old September 27th, 2018, 05:44 AM

*Double posting*

This site has 15 GB of data, so itīs not that much ^^
Iīll download it to keep it offline in my HD
Old September 27th, 2018, 07:51 AM
besotted with buttons

Thanks Nel- I just need to suck it up and go save stuff that I want. 15 Gb still more than the complete works of Shakespeare in text :) we were very prolific...
Xx

Old September 27th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Aint no other man but you

I was later to this place than most of you but once I got here I was all in! It was definitely an era. There are Lots of lovely graphics and stories on here I need to save. There are still some stories out there that I would love to save that aren’t on here like HRs Soul Purpose so if you have a lead on that one let me know. Lost a lot of sleep reading Orlando fan fiction over the years! Thanks for all of this magic and friendship

Gorgeous signature by my friend Erendira
Old September 27th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Alive...and kicking

I was dreading the day when I had to say goobye,but here it is and we have to face it.Just want to add to the girls posts that you have until 25th October to save whatever you want from here.
I feel like a tiny part of me is gone forever,it's been so many years,so much fun,and a handful of frienships for life.I will be always grateful for the wonderful experiences,the travels around the world meeting you...I can say without a doubt that my life has been better since I found this place.So thank you EL and Serein for creating the board,thank you to my fellow members for make me feel so loved and appreciated and ultimately thank you Orlando for being such a lovable creature and inspire us to do beautiful things.
Much Love to All

Last edited by erendira; September 27th, 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old September 27th, 2018, 06:59 PM
besotted with buttons

gawd...was up late reading last night.
We should do something on the 25th. I will be with Blue Magic in Washington and I know she will want to acknowledge the loss of it.

THANK you for securing another month so we can save stuff. I really appreciate that. do you need a contribution?
x

Old September 27th, 2018, 07:15 PM

I started the download earlier today. If I get it all right and you want something from the board that you could not save before, you can contact me via facebook or email (Marian Nel ; marianela2012@yahoo.com.ar)

Old September 27th, 2018, 10:14 PM
besotted with buttons

Thanks Nel xx

Old September 27th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit View Post
gawd...was up late reading last night.
We should do something on the 25th. I will be with Blue Magic in Washington and I know she will want to acknowledge the loss of it.
x
Maybe we can do a sort of farewell party in the FB group and share our memories and best moments.. I'll think about it with the girls
Old September 28th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Photo Fanatic

How do I download and which do I choose? Sorry, after all these years I'm atill not techo-savvy!
Old October 1st, 2018, 10:18 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I am sorry to see the board go. I do not do face book and twitter. I do not have a smart phone for apps as I have medical condition which means I have permanently cold hands so cannot open such phones.

It is with a heavy heart I sigh off..

Much love to all

Twiglet

sig by erendira :)
Old October 1st, 2018, 05:53 PM
Alive...and kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post
I am sorry to see the board go. I do not do face book and twitter. I do not have a smart phone for apps as I have medical condition which means I have permanently cold hands so cannot open such phones.

Much love to all

Twiglet
But you have a computer Twiglet dear.You can have a Facebook account,let me help you with it,is easy and you don't need to put your real name or friend people you don't want to.It can be as private as you want it to be.Send me a PM if you're up to it.

Old October 1st, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymochridh View Post
How do I download and which do I choose? Sorry, after all these years I'm atill not techo-savvy!
First I tell you that I did download it all,and sadly is not fully functional. The board works when we log in, so to start, that option is useless with the site offline . The good part is that links work (only those who are still up at the original server where they were uploaded) , and threads and comments can be read.

The link is this one to download the tool:
https://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html

is an easy program to use, just copy/paste the url
http://orlandolove.net/orlandolove/index.php
create a folder in your PC (make sure you have 15 GB free) and leave it working. It took me one day and half to get it all, maybe the server is a bit slow, is not a matter of good or bad internet connection (mine is really fast actually with other big downloads)
Old October 2nd, 2018, 12:14 AM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post

Much love to all

Twiglet

This doesnt have to be goodbye hon. Nel or I can help you with that and like she said it can be as private as you want!!
You are one of the die hards so please come join us!
Old October 8th, 2018, 06:26 PM

If any of you download the board, these are all the pictures downloaded: 7070. Most of them are only tiny thumbnails. Thatīs the sad part, because itīs been a long time and those pics were uploaded to image hostings that no longer exist. I show you some screencaps :

Old October 15th, 2018, 06:15 PM
besotted with buttons

I have paid into the OL pay pal for an extra months hosting- so until 25th December or thereabouts. I am working my way through, but is taking some time x

Old October 24th, 2018, 02:33 AM
Adoring

I'm just seeing this notice now

I understand your decision, especially with the cost, and with social media kind of taking over, etc. I've only posted a few times, but I did love this place, especially since everyone here is so nice! That's a rare thing online, as you guys know.

Thank you so much for keeping the board going all these years--it's always been a place I've loved to visit. Nice to find people who love this man as much as I do!

Best of luck to all of you. You've been amazing.

Looks like it's time to get on Facebook finally! Hopefully soon I will see you guys there!
Old October 24th, 2018, 05:09 AM

sure Nari! the bonds of friendship remain the same after so many years and thatīs the best legacy this place leave to all of us
And we have Orlando news and pics almost daily and instantly in your device of choice ^^

see you "out there"!
Old October 27th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nari View Post

Best of luck to all of you. You've been amazing.

Looks like it's time to get on Facebook finally! Hopefully soon I will see you guys there!
Thank you so much Nari
We hope to see you there too!!!
Old November 7th, 2018, 05:28 PM
besotted with buttons

Wow...well I have at last finished copying most of the Tea Party- the longest RPG known to womankind I think! In the meantime it gave me great pleasure and a little fizzle of sadness the other day to see Nuit and BlueMagic listed as present on the Board together. Such a wonderful time we had. Thank you to everyone who made this place so special.

Old November 11th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Utterly Obsessed

Hey ladies. I just saw this announcement. While not a big surprise, it is still sad. I sincerely apologize for not being on this board as much the last few years. Sadly real life just got in the way at times. But I really appreciate the friendships and good times on this board. And I really appreciate the support you all gave me when my mother (Leggybelle) passed away. So thank you Elf Lady for creating the website and all the mods who have kept this website going as long as it has and making it the best fan site that I've been on.

I will check out the FB page and group. And I think it would be cool if we have a “one last hurrah” thread here before it closes for good but I will leave that decision up to the mods.

Wonderful Siggie made by the late great Leggybelle! I love you Mom and I miss you.

Beautiful Legolas icon made by Nel. Thank you so much!