Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly > The real Ned Kelly related links and stuff

Old March 13th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I just found this while looking for something else - it's from Vogue 2004 - don't recall seeing it but if it's a repeat, we can always drool again anyhoo
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Loves Elves & Outlaws!

Thanks for the articles Nuit (Gem) and CandissD. It is fantastic to see "newish" articles and pics about Ned Kelly.

Boys refusing to wear their helmets until the producers put the foot down. Boys will be boys.

Mind you, I've never worn a helmet riding before.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:49 AM
besotted with buttons

mmmmm Candiss! I don't think ever saw that before either! Just goes to show huh? One day the pictures of him emerging from the bath tub might just turn up...heeheehehehe
'the english side kick politely steal the show' great phrase!
thank you

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Thanks again nuit and Gem for the Good Weekend article.

Thanks too Candiss
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Dreamer

Hey thanks ladies for the new articles - some lovely pictures there...

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit View Post
One day the pictures of him emerging from the bath tub might just turn up...heeheehehehe
If that happens, consider me dead LOL
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
besotted with buttons

heeheehe yep indeed, surely there must be more somewhere?? what about when he got IN the bath?
Usually of course I would be all for demure understatement
liked that pic you posted a lot btw!

Old March 14th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I see you like it! Love that new icon, nuit! He just looks dashing in green or is it brown and black and purple and red and well you get the idea...

Last edited by CandissD; March 14th, 2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

From The Age:

Quote:
No bones about Kelly's burial mystery
May 21, 2007

Once again, Ned Kelly has authorities scratching their heads.

But this time it's the skeletal remains of the notorious bushranger which have gone missing.

Heritage officials in Victoria say Kelly's skeletal remains have been removed from Melbourne's Pentridge Prison - but where they are now is something of a mystery.

Kelly was hanged at the Old Melbourne Gaol in 1880 and his remains, together with those of other executed prisoners, were moved to Pentridge in the 1920s and 1930s and buried in a mass grave.

Until recently, authorities believed all executed inmates were buried in a designated area within the prison grounds.

However, a historical plan revealed some burials could have been located outside the cemetery area and further investigations confirmed the accuracy of the document.

Now, Heritage Victoria bosses believe Kelly's remains could have been moved or discarded during drainage works some 50 years ago, and recent archaeological tests have since found no evidence of remains nearby.

"Based on the information available to us, we now believe these remains were probably removed in the 1950s or 1960s, as part of the installation of large service pipes that took place at the prison at the time," Heritage Victoria executive director Ray Tonkin said.

Heritage Victoria is overseeing development at the Pentridge Prison site to ensure burial sites - which also include that of Ronald Ryan, the last person executed in Australia - are properly and respectfully managed.

AAP

Quote:
Sushi Das
May 22, 2007

HE MAY have been dead for more than 100 years but Ned Kelly still has the authorities confounded.

Heritage Victoria says the bushranger's bones, for decades thought to have been buried in the grounds of the old Pentridge Prison, Coburg, are not there.

Nobody knows where they are. Looks like Kelly has given them all the slip again.

Kelly was hanged at the Old Melbourne Gaol in 1880. His body was buried there for 49 years until the gaol was decommissioned. In 1929 his remains, and those of 30 other inmates, were relocated to Pentridge.

When the last person to be executed in Australia, Ronald Ryan, was hanged in 1967, his remains were buried at Pentridge Prison, in the same burial ground as Ned Kelly's or so we were led to believe.

Then a year ago, while redeveloping the prison into a piazza, with retail, commercial and residential facilities, Heritage Victoria came across an old plan that threw the one burial ground theory into doubt.

Archaeologists went digging and made a peculiar discovery.

They found Ryan's coffin where they expected it, but no evidence of Kelly's bones.

Ryan's coffin will stay where it is in a designated area set aside from the redevelopment. Not far from a memorial plaque that used to mark the spot where we believed Kelly was buried.

Archaeologists went digging in another area of the prison, a much older burial site, where they believed Kelly's remains were sure to be. But no, not there either.

The most likely explanation, according to Heritage Victoria's executive director, Ray Tonkin, is rather ordinary. "We now believe these remains were probably removed in the 1950s and '60s, as part of the installation of large service pipes," he said yesterday.

Heritage Victoria's senior archaeologist, Jeremy Smith, said the workers would not have known remains of inmates were buried on the site because there were no marked graves.

"I think it's possible they were discarded," he said. "They could have gone anywhere. A lot of rubbish disposal went into a neighbouring quarry."

So does the mystery of Ned Kelly's remains, the target of trophy hunters for more than a century, close with the ultimate ignoble end his bones in a rubbish tip?

"It's possible they are located elsewhere at Pentridge," Mr Smith said, throwing out a last possibility. "Perhaps this is the final chapter, but maybe there are more surprises."

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:13 AM
Artanis

That's rather interesting, Gem. Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Egads!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Wow - thanks for that, Gem
I hate that his remains are missing. It seems sad that they did not take better care of him.

However, I did have to chuckle at this line in the 2nd article:
Quote:
Nobody knows where they are. Looks like Kelly has given them all the slip again.
and say way to go, Ned! He still has them on the run after 127 years

Last edited by CandissD; May 22nd, 2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
besotted with buttons

sigh..well you know it does make me sad and mad, the disrespect shown even after death. And into a local rubbish tip?! really.
You are right Candiss that thought does however make it a little more cheering.
thanks Gem.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Something to perhaps bring a smile to your face for a change: Ironoutlaw has a funny little musical number worth watching, just scroll down the page to watch and listen to 'Kelly in our hearts'.

~Gem~

Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Passionately Enthralled

That's catchy! LOL! Thanks, Gem
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Artanis

Oh my God, that's hilarious. Thanks for that, Gem.
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

I did know that the Victorian cricket team is called the Bushrangers, but until yesterday I had never paid any attention to their 'logo' (click for bigger):

~Gem~

Old June 26th, 2007, 12:21 AM
besotted with buttons

heeheheheh he is everywhere huh?
X

Old June 26th, 2007, 01:43 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Well spank me thrice and hand me to me mama! Nice pickup, Gem!

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
besotted with buttons

thanks to Fourleaf Clover for the link- Saskia played Jane in Ned Kelly
Quote:
Saskia Burmeister has scored the main role of Erica Yurkon in the hottest film of the year Hating Alison Ashley. DOLLY grabbed Saskia for a quick chat about what it's like to star in a film and dance with Orlando Bloom!

Interview by Christine Knight Okay, tell us about Orlando and Heath
They're adorable! I really liked working with Orlando and Heath. Heath is very giving as an actor. He was very open, very available to talk about the scene and to discuss whether I wanted to try something else. And I found him very down to earth. It was a very wonderful surprise to find that he was so humble for someone who's such a celebrity. He had a very Aussie spirit.

And Orlando was very fun! We had to do a lot of Irish dancing together for the film and dance lessons, and Orlando's actually a very good dancer! So we were prancing around the room, doing spins and turns, having a right old laugh, and in one of the rehearsals he spun me around and bent me backwards and because I was wearing a corset, I couldn't move, I couldn't bend, and he was like, "Can you bend a little bit further Saskia?" and I was like, "Kinda not really!" so we tried it again and he bent me backwards and I gently fell to the ground! Orlando was like, "I'm so sorry, are you alright!" I couldn't believe I fell on the floor in front of all those people and Orlando Bloom! He cracked me up, and he was such a gentleman.
I am not saying a word..

Old June 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Uh oh...nuit has gone and swallowed her tongue! Anyone in here qualified for some first aid treatment?

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Passionately Enthralled

thanks, nuit! I bet that was fun (and ) dancing with Orlando (better yet, Orlando as Joe Byrne!)!
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM
besotted with buttons

you are on my wavelength Candiss!
i suppose I should post this in the 'articles not about Orlando' thread, but I thought maybe us Joe women got first dabs...heehehe. 'Can you bend a little further?' errrrr.

Llyneth heehheh, I think it may be too late.

Old August 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Hehe, any lines about bending over backwards for Orlando? I'm quite flexible

I have a number of Victorian Bushranger's cricket shirts, all with the logo. Hadn't thought to mention the significance for some reason. I remember when the team were first called that and the promo shots that were around- some of them dressed in the armor.