Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly > The real Ned Kelly related links and stuff

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
besotted with buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha's cat View Post
Now if I could just have a pen where Ned walks towards 'me'
hheheh Well I am sure it is possible somehow!
It is a kind of weird concept all that stuff, I did feel a little embarassed buying about 6 postcards of Joe Byrne, and a magnet, the NK pen and had there been other things I am sure I would have got those too. The railway pin has to be the kind of weirdest 'souvenir'- though at the same time much more authentic.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Imagination Rules!

Well I'm just pleased to have a replacement Ned Kelly key ring - Gem was kind enough to replace my broken one (the result of a tussle between Ned and the car boot - the car won sadly) so now The Brick is adorned again as it should be. Thanks again Gem - mega hugs -you know how pleased I was to receive it. I was so upset when the first one broke.

What makes it really special though is that she told me she bought it from a Newsagent that is in the very building that used to be an old bookshop that Ned and Joe used to visit. Wonderful!

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

You are most welcome Luna. The newsagent in Beechworth in actual fact occupies the very same premises as James Ingram's bookshop where Ned and Joe are said to have been regular customers so definitely very special vibes in there! And yes Tc, yours is from there too...

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Dreamer

The railway pin is out on my back porch. Next time I am in Glenrowan I am going to buy the four and put them on Joe's grave. I wished that I had thought to do that last time

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

That's a wonderful idea Ki. I was going to visit the blacksmith last week when we were there but his shop was shut. Joe's grave is in such a windy spot that things get blown around a bit but those pins should stay put! Mine is next to my computer, it's a great paperweight or good to hold a book open.

~Gem~

Old January 24th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Gone bush!

Oh that's great to know Gem! Is very special to me

I don't know about these railway pins-what is the story with those??
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
besotted with buttons

There is a blacksmith in Glenrowan next to the site of the Inn who engravesthe tops of railway pins...since they are handy.., with the gangs names. Ki and Gem went to chat with him while we were there and bought me one, which was really fab and sunk my baggage allowance in one stroke

Thats a great idea Ki!

Old January 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Gone bush!

That's awesome! Oh well not about the baggage but a great souvenir...

Ki that is a lovely idea.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

The blacksmith was surprised that we wanted our pins with Joe's name and asked us why, I think Ned's his number one best seller... But yeah, a great idea for a souvenir amongst all the 'made in China' plastics! He told us he also has a replica of Ned's armour which he had at that time lent to a vineyard for some do, he said he would love to have had my opinion of it when I told him I see the original regularly. Better leave some room weight-wise in your luggage Tc...

~Gem~

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Dreamer

Hand luggage would not be an option as they do look like they could make a handy weapon. I did sleep with mine beside the bed for quite a while when I was scared to be on my own.

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Gone bush!

Yeah if you can't have scissors you can't have a railway pin!

Okay will bring hardly any clothes to make room Gem

Have just found a NK statue to buy online is actually huge at 20cms thought it would look quite good on the desk by computer...
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Well - look what I came across today: http://indigoshire.vic.gov.au/news-1...-application-1 They are finally planning to do something with the Beechworth Gaol!

Quote:
DESCRIPTION OF PROPOSAL
The proposal is to utilise the existing Beechworth Gaol building as a museum including a souvenir shop and an interpretive centre. ln essence the proposal is to open up the gaol for viewing by tourists. There will be no change to the external appearance of the gaol as a result of the proposed use although the existing 'modern' office building in the forecourt of the gaol is proposed to be demolished to enhance the heritage experience.

The proposed operating hours are between 9,00am and 5,00pm seven days a week. Some flexibility is sought in the planning permit to extend these hours if necessary to allow for occasional night time use.

The number of staff will vary between two and five depending on the number of visitors to the site (i,e, higher staff numbers during peak holiday periods, weekends, etc).

On-site parking is provided for 27 cars within an existing sealed carpark located in the Williams Street setback. Additional parking is available on-street in High and Williams streets and Sydney Road.

The use is proposed to include a souvenir shop that will incorporate interpretive elements of the gaol.

Two identification signs are proposed at the north west and south west corners of the building in Sydney Road. The content of the signs is to attract and direct visitors to the gaol and will not include any external or unrelated advertising.

Last edited by GeminiGirl; March 20th, 2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Gone bush!

Thanks for that Gem is a bit exciting to see! Wonder 'when' they are planning on doing this?
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Well I guess there's a certain period they have to wait from lodging the application of the permit to allow time for any objections to the plans to be lodged, and then if all's well, getting it going... Won't be done in time for this year's Kelly Weekend I don't think!

Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
besotted with buttons

I guess it would be a significant addition to the 'Beechworth Heritage' trail, and certainly a shame to let things just disappear into the dust. Looked very dilapidated when we peered through the railings!