Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly > The real Ned Kelly related links and stuff

Old September 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Loves Elves & Outlaws!

The Jerilderie Letter - edited and introduced by Alex McDermott

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the bookstore a couple weeks ago. There were copies of the above version so I got a copy for myself. This paperback was put out in 2001 and has Sydney Nolan's "Kelly in a Landscape" as the cover design. Very happy!

Very good to finally read this. Not impressed that the only photo of Joe was that photo (his body strung up on the door).

So very, very slowly I am adding to my collection. My sister is going to Oz later this month so I'm giving her a list.
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

That's great that you got a copy! Personally though, if that's the only photo of Joe it would be difficult for me to buy. I did read the letter on line from the Melbourne Library's website, but would be nice to have in hard copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerowan View Post
I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the bookstore a couple weeks ago. There were copies of the above version so I got a copy for myself. This paperback was put out in 2001 and has Sydney Nolan's "Kelly in a Landscape" as the cover design. Very happy!

Very good to finally read this. Not impressed that the only photo of Joe was that photo (his body strung up on the door).

So very, very slowly I am adding to my collection. My sister is going to Oz later this month so I'm giving her a list.
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Loves Elves & Outlaws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Mists View Post
Personally though, if that's the only photo of Joe it would be difficult for me to buy. I did read the letter on line from the Melbourne Library's website, but would be nice to have in hard copy.
Didn't realize about the photo until after I had bought it. Oh well, the rest of the book makes up for it.
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM
besotted with buttons

Sounds like a great addition to your collection Blue, hope that your sister can find some more- Gem knows some good second hand shops!
For pure emotion I would ask her to find Sister Kate by Jean Bedford, just because.
That picture is a hard one, though of course being only one of 2 photos it is bound to get some airing. I hate it too, but I always get Ian Jones running through my head when I see it. In his book The Fatal Frisndship his caption is something like 'the Lieutenant of the Kelly Gang, serene in death' and he is. Strong and serene and as an image it speaks loud about the sort of system they were fighting against, so maybe Joe had the last word

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

The text of the Jerilderie Letter can also be found in Max Brown's excellent Australian Son and in A.N. Baron's Blood in the Dust, together with other Kelly correspondence (more about that book here). I saw a mention on Ironoutlaw that there was going to be a reprint, so hopefully it will soon be available for ordering through them.

I second Nuit in recommending Sister Kate Bluerowan, it's not a literary masterpiece but definitely worth your while for the emotion as Nuit said. I think your sister would be able to find it in a second-hand bookstore easily enough.

I like that caption too Nuit, strong and serene. I think Joe and the others have indeed had the last word, and what a great privilege to be part of making sure that they won't be forgotten.

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!

Last edited by GeminiGirl; September 20th, 2007 at 12:15 AM.