Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly > The real Ned Kelly related links and stuff

Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
besotted with buttons

'Our Sunshine' Book Review

Continuing my obsession i have been reading Robert Drewe's book 'Our Sunshine' on which the film was based and had a few thoughts to share.
Firstly the book is far from Peter Careys brilliant 'True History of The Kelly Gang' which i know many of you have read- but it is brilliant in its own way.

This is more personal, it is partly first person narration by Ned and partly 3rd person. The form is jagged, disjointed, a series of rememberances that broadly follow the timeline but not always. More like the way a mind works- jumping backwards and forwards and reflecting sudden thoughts. (or is that just me??!)

The film is smooth - a progression, where this is not- it is difficult and edgy, full of anger and frustrating at times. Perfect form for an expression of the subject matter. It FEELS like shattered glass like those mirrors at Glenrowan.

It is also full of details that were missed and changed for the film. Ned is less gracious perhaps, more an expression of the oppression they felt, more angry, but you can see the incisive way Heath Ledger interpreted the words. I was always fascinated with his face but at times his whole body seems to be twitching- after he kills the copper, Kennedy at Stringybark Creek, and at Glenrowan, then I read this..
'I feel my organs are all shrinking and withdrawing. At the same time my outline's flickering.
My skin won't sit still on me'
and i thought YES! thats what it is!

His relationship with 'Mrs C' although fictious and much criticised is much much more sharp in the book- no saccharin, and for those that need to note warnings- is NC17, not explicit but definately implied through details. The portrayal here though is about power and balance and a scratchiness between them that doesn't come over in the film.
There is SO much in there- reasons and reflections and harsh reality.

And Joe..well as you can imagine details I yearn for and there are some simply jaw dropping, gorgeous, tear inspiring, hilarious ones.
I will give you a couple of examples from either ends of the scale-

In one section of the book Ned is talking about the different ploys the coppers used to try to catch the gang, and one instance where they employed the services of a group of pretty horse women as police spies, which went badly wrong 'or badly right depending on your view ... The Royal Melbourne Show dressage champion so impressed with Joe's piaffe that she strutted with him into the billiard room of the Royal Mail Hotel and stretched out on the baize might be of two minds on this'
HeeHee i really split my sides laughing..

anyhow there is also a load about Maggie and a section where Ned talks about 'my calm friend Joe'. How he brings his women little birds a night bird himself 'who keeps a prayer book in one pocket of his jacket and in the other some .45 bullets and a brown paper packet marked Poison'

The end is well very sad and some grisly details that are based on fact, about how Joe's body was strung up.

Sorry for the length of this- but if there's anyone intersted in the facts, the legends and having a challenging read..it is all here. Thoroughly recommended!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction

Last edited by nuit; August 2nd, 2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Just Another Freak

Thanks for the amazing review nuit.

This line: a night bird himself who keeps a prayer book in one pocket of his jacket and in the other some .45 bullets and a brown paper packet marked Poison, is enough to make me want to read it.

Definately putting in on my reading list. I've been looking for a new book to read lately. Just been re-reading some favorites. I think I'm going to have to hop over to the book store later.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
besotted with buttons

you are very welcome ME- i don't know how accessible it is- got mine from Amazon, but is worth it if you like that sort of stuff- powerful, emotional and no sap..

Old August 2nd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Just Another Freak

The grittier the better. My kind of book. Sounds like a fascinating read.

Looks like you're right about the accessibility of it though. Going to have to order online.
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:24 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

Continuing my 'research' I read 'Our Sunshine' today. Started this morning and just couldn't put it down till I'd finished (it's only about 200 pages so not really that hard to read in one day).

Interestingly I didn't really 'see' that much of the film while reading it, even though it was based on this. As Nuit mentioned before in her review, details were missed and changed for the film. One of the differences being the character of Mrs C - the way she is portrayed here as a stronger person made more sense to me, unlike the kind of helpless woman bullied by her husband as she came across in the film.

Also I was interested to see how this book deals with Aaron, especially compared to 'The True History of the Kelly Gang' which I just read, where he's given the benefit of the doubt and it is even implied that he wasn't giving the police any useful information but was in fact helping the gang. In this book it is hinted that jealousy might have been a factor for Aaron: "Half-jealous over fame and sex and then Hare manipulating the rest. Putting ideas in his head. Telling him he was someone." But it also concedes: "But the trouble with killing Aaron was that now he'd never know for sure why he'd done it."

I also loved the humour, the horse women incident Nuit mentioned, and a discussion about how the police believed Ned's sister Maggie was signalling the gang with the way she hung clothes on the line: "Well, long johns with the back flap open must mean officers,' Joe says. Maggie then enjoying hanging pants up sideways, shirts dangling by one arm, a line full of corsets. 'Watch it you aren't gaoled for hanging insulting washing,' I tell her." And the poor monkey being shot...

The ending's really sad, especially when you take into account that it's based on fact. If you've seen that photograph of Joe Byrne strung up against the door for the photographers you'll understand what I'm talking about. But I love the final words of the book: "Joe? Joe was pretty calm."

I really loved this book. (And in case anyone's interested in finding it: ISBN 0 143 00156 6)

And Nuit: I just got a call from my bookshop that they should get the Max Brown book in for me in a couple of days, so...

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:42 PM
besotted with buttons

WOOT! cool Gem- well I am gonna read Max Brown over christmas and will be back with review- maybe you will have yours already done! The bit i am reading has loads of detail about PRECISELY where I am with my fic so is just invaluable.

Thanks for the review of My Sunshine- I liked it a lot.oh i already said that right. I have read and reread bits many times. It is not a staight line but more Kerouac style. Love it!
The issues with Aaron are fascinating- the suggestion that they both slept with Maggie, until Aaron got married and she refused- further fuel to the fire. Ok is fiction but I am sure touched on many of the real threads of their lives.

Old December 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

Yes, I want to read Ian Jones' 'The Fatal Friendship' now too...

This book does define their frienship pretty clearly: "Joe had to be the executioner. Aaron was his schoolmate, his gaolmate, almost his brother-in-law, (I guess we were all that!) Police Agent Sherritt shopped us all to Hare, but it was worse for Joe. They were like brothers, comrades, all the rest. Chased girls together - and caught them too." And then the bit about Maggie. I guess if they were that close before and then Ned came into the picture and that all changed, and Maggie rejected Aaron but not Joe, you could see him wanting to get 'back' at him somehow... But we'll never know.

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Dreamer

I started this book on the plane when flying to Melbourne for the Aussie/Kiwi Meetup and finished it just after arriving in Melbourne. I found it quite different from the movie - which I have only seen a couple of times, I am intending to buy it now and rewatch.

I liked how it jumped backwards and forwards as moments in the present were explained by the things that had happened in the past. And when they were in Jerilderie I was touched and amused how Dan helped to get the church ready for mass and Steve spent the day preparing a roast and Joe and Ned just about split their sides laughing at him when he complained about slaving away all day. I kept thinking God they were only boys.

I found the chapter about posing Joe's body disturbing and could only think what it must have been like for those that loved him.

During my stay Gem and I visited the Melbourne Goal and then the State Library where they have an impressive Kelly Gang Exhibit and seeing Ned's armour and one torn boot was very moving. The have some of the Jerilderie letter on show - just a few pages, Joe has lovely writing and the small smudges on it, little fingermarks that I imagine that he had made, well that just made it all the more poignant.

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

That's funny about Steve. And sad, as you say Ki, they were only boys.

I will have to get to the Melbourne Goal and the library to see the Jerilderee letter next time I'm in Melbourne. Thinking I will also have to go visit my old haunts as well, and make a point of going to the stone bridge at Avenel where Ned saved the boy.
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Polyte

I bought on Amazon the novelisation by Robert Drewe. The writting is strange and it seems Drewe wrote to the first person with Kelly's eyes. I didn't start reading it because I'm already reading "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind. (You know, Orlando Bloom almost played in the adapation of this last book with Rachel Hurd-Wood, Alan Rickman and Dustin Huffman ? Finally, Ben Whishaw got the role for Jean-Baptiste Grenouille... Sorry ! I would really wanna see him on screen with Rachel Hurd-Wood... ANYWAY !) SO... I bought in on Amazon, it's in English so easier for you to read. I've got no problems to read it but... It's a little.... "big". (but the writting is big too)

I first thought it was the Jeridlerie Letter but no ! It's written as Ned Kelly's memories. I copy to you the description on the back :

Quote:
NED KELLY is the extraordinary tale of a man whose story outgrew his life. Robert Drewe's strikingly imaginative re-creation of the inner life of Ned Kelly, the Nationnal Hero and Devil Incarnate of Australia, is written with brilliant clarity and impressionisitic economy. It carries the reader into a dreamworld of astonishing and violent revelation, an entrancing and frightening landscape of murder, sexuality, persecution, robbery, vanity, politics, and corruption.

"This book is addictive. Drewe's language is, as ever, astonishing, with every one of his sentences containing a shiver of exactness and immediacy." -New Statesman
"Robert Drewe's revisionary -and visionary- novel makes your heart thud." -Time Out London
"A tour de force... A model of style and passion." -The Age.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014...Fencoding=UTF8
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:40 AM
besotted with buttons

Thanks Polyte- I have moved your post, as you see, to the thread discussing the book you refer to. It might be useful to look through the threads in the forum and see if your post you intend to make already has an relevant thread

it is a brilliant book IMHO

Old April 9th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Polyte

Oh ok, thank you ! Because i've searched and saw nothing. I explain why ! On the book, you only see the poster of the film. I didn't see "Our Sunshine" so I didn't realized it was that subject. Anyway...

I've read your review on the top and it makes me want to read it. I'll start it today, nevermind for The Perfume but the Legend of Ned Kelly is pretty much an obsession for me too. Unless, you can't see it because even if I have an English correct language, I am not entierly bilingual. So... I really want to share some things, but I can't find the real words. Nevermind, I'll learn it on the job, as always... (and everytime I say "as always" it reminds me Will Turner. Don't try to understand, I don't understand myself what's happening in my mind).

I was wondering, is "Our Sunshine" kind of fiction ? Or it is the real story ? You talked about Mrs C, a fictious character. Is that the same for all the book ? I'll know that because I'll read it but you seem to know a lot more than me about this subject. (Even if I can read English, I'm not that strong to read the Jerilderie Letter. Plus, it's Australian. And when I started to translate this Letter, I thought I was gonna die ! Australia is my favorite country. But... They really have a special language.)

Thanks again, Nuit for this thread... i'll come back with my review later I have all day long with nothing to do. Thanks !
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
besotted with buttons

Iron Outlaw hey- well like most things written about Ned Kelly, there is some degree of argument about the facts. The most factual accounts by historians can be found on the Iron Outlaw above, but there is controversy about some of the facts because as ever it depends on history that was either partially or not recorded at the time, and when it was by people with a point of view to back up.
Neverthelesss Our Sunshine doesn't claim to be a factual account of events but uses facts to inform the fiction. There is no evidence at all for example that Ned Kelly had a lover from the English landowners class. It just didn't happen.
As in Peter Careys book- Robert Drewe fictionalises history, I think though that he weaves a brilliant story and really gives a flavour of the times and the emotions that the gang may have felt. If anything I would say that it its strength, it makes them real people. I really like the style of it.
And please don't worry about your english!

Last edited by nuit; April 9th, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Polyte

I knew the official site for the Kelly Gang. I go there, sometimes to check out a little... I found the Jerilderie Letter there and I printed it to read it at work. People there was looking at me as if I was an alien. Nobody understood what was written ! And I started to think that wouldn't be easy to translate all this. There is, what... 50 pages ?

But one thing I've understood (I didn't finish it, Ned Kelly has a style a little harsh for me, yet) is that Edward Kelly was a great man of honnor. And I love him for his will and his strength. My hero comes to Joe Byrne, as well because of his intrusction and the power he gives to Ned. I don't know really why he inspires me all that. It's not because of the film. When I first looked at it, it wasn't because I knew the subject of the film. It's just because a girl told me simply "Watch this." I was telling "No, I saw some pictures, I'm not interrested." And she repeated "Watch... IT !" And that's what I did. And in the end, I didn't have any preference in any of the character. But I watched it again the day after... And the WE after... And again the week after. (I looked at it almost 1 times per day for one week, I think) And I realized I loved this bad boy that is Joe Byrne. His questions, his eyes searching for the people and the truth... His maturity compares to the others, even if he's not the oldest. And the first time I heard Heath Ledger voice (even in French, it's... you know... this impression that somebody's already killing you from the inside) I felt really bad. I mean, all the sadness of the rest of the film is on the beginning.

And I began "Our Sunshine" this morning and I first thought "The Inn ? Already ?!" The vocabulary is pretty difficult but I've got my dictionnary if I'm really in need. But my mother was listening to the radio and I tried not to kill her because the only music I can hear by reading THIS ? It's Klaus Badelt. Now, even if the Glenrowan Inn became my Intrumental personnal theme, I think this is the most beautiful and priceless music I've ever heard before And it's only for Ned Kelly. So ! When I first began the book, I just tried to put the decor around me. But couldn't because of the radio. As I was tired, I closed it and marked it for me not to lose my page and came back here.

Ned Kelly is the only movie, and the only story that makes me want to die. I mean, not in the real sens of the term. But I think Robert Drewe has this capacity to kill people... emotionnaly. You talked about it above, don't remember where. And I think, as well, the film is as hard and powerfull as the book in the same way. The way it's written, it cracks in every end of big paragraph.

And now, I feel blue because in my compil, it's Klaus Badelt on air... Somebody bring me my rope, please...
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM
besotted with buttons

Hope you can come back and make some more observations here when you have finished the book. It is hard and mixed up, part memory and so like my brain anyhow which doesn't run in a straight line.
If you can keep your comments in this thread about mainly the book that would be great X

Old July 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
besotted with buttons

Was rereading a bit of this - about the hold up at Jerilderie and how the boys burst in on Mr Tarleton having his bath.

Well Tarleton's soaking in his bath and shocked and shy to see us. When we come through the door- Joe and me with guns and the two bank johnnies, all crowding in the bathroom- he sits up in a flurry, eyes wide and white, grabs a flannel to cover his bobbing whatsis, then looks around for weapons and brandishes an uncertain loofah.
Hope that sponge isn't loaded, Joe says, heh heh.

made me giggle anyhow!

Old March 13th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Aint no other man but you

I just finished reading the book and it is a fascinating read. Very fragmented and fractured but that adds to the desperation of their situation and I like Nuit's comparison to the broken glass. The description of them when they arrive at Mrs. C's is quite disturbing, much more gruesome than in the movie. The part about Aaron and Joe and Maggie and the look on Aaron's face when the copper was asking Maggie about Joe. No sympathy for Aaron in this book and that makes it easier to reconcile the act because it is hard to imagine what Joe went through in killing Aaron and how he could do that. Teared up at Joe being shot at the end, like what? I didn't know that was coming? And then the stuff about the door and Ned in jail with Joe's body in the next cell. That must have been hell. I love, love, love the last line - Joe? Joe was pretty calm.

Gorgeous signature by my friend Erendira