Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly > The real Ned Kelly related links and stuff

Old August 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Awaiting a warrior prince

The Proposition

I put this here because I felt it was somewhat related. If not please delete or move.

Has anyone seen the movie "The Proposition"?

Quote:
Musician Nick Cave wrote the screenplay for this epic story about two brothers pitted against each other on the Australian frontier. Arthur, Charlie and Mikey Bush are brothers who stand accused of raping and murdering a family of settlers. Arthur (Danny Huston), the oldest and leader of the gang, escapes; but the other two are captured by Captain Stanley (Ray Winstone), with 14-year-old Mikey scheduled to hang on Christmas Day. Stanley proposes to Charlie (Guy Pearce) that Mikey's life will be spared only if Charlie can find, capture and kill Arthur, thereby sacrificing one brother for the sake of another. This violent, searing film also stars Emily Watson as Stanley's wife Martha.
If you have seen this what did you think?

Snoe
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
besotted with buttons

Yeah I have seen it a couple of times, and can see why you raised it here. What can I say? Stunning, disturbing, gritty, sad, ugly. The producer obviously made the links with the Kelly story straight away with the picture of Joe right off the mark, and of course there are common themes. The Kelly story of course is different as they were obviously not psychopathic murderers and rapists, but the whole context of the story, of the settlers and the brutality of the state, not to mention the enormous sky and hardness of the earth all make for a heady mix. I thought it was an incredible piece of art, had profound things to say about the human condition and how nature impacts psyche, how rebellion is not necessarily honourable in all its facets.

It is an honest film, I like that. I also thought that it reflects a fuller, edgier picture of Australia than the Jordan film, acknowledging a less wholesome/romantic face and also that the land was occupied by other peoples. The Aboriginal people are present here at least.

What did you think?
Any one else see it?

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM

I thought it was a gritty,beautiful, disturbing and artistic story. I found it last night and was GOBSMACKED by the whole project!

The imagery of the Outback, people, and beliefs not to mention prejudices was unreal yet spot-in. It reminded me of the movie Unforgiven by Clint Eastwood with it's raw imagery and gutsy realism. I couldn't help but draw the parallels with how Ned, Joe and the boys would have lived.

David Wenham was a chlling bastard! But I do like how they portrayed of the Aboriginal's and the Irishmen's treatment. The brutal way they beat Mikey and the shot of them wringing the blood out of the "cat" was gutwrenching to say the least.

If I had owned the phone numbers of any of the Kelly girls I would have dialed you up! They also mentioned Eight Mile Creek. I missed the first couple of minutes so did not see the picture of Joe! I'm going to try to catch it again so I can see the WHOLE work.

Did anyone else see this movie?

Snoey
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Imagination Rules!

Nope, but sounds interesting though. Wonder how i missed this one?

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Gone bush!

I haven't seen it either Luna, how old is it?

RIP HEATH
*Beautiful icon animation by Kat-thanks*
*Gorgeous siggy by Nel*
*Thanks to Mata for icon*

*Don't Tell The Elf!*
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:33 AM

2006 release.

What little ol' me in the middle of Alabama found a movie that a Kiwi and a Aussie hadn't seen?

Seriously it is one to watch!
Snoey

PS> did you notice I said KIWI AND AUSSIE!!! I didn't lump y'all together this time! I'm learning!
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM
besotted with buttons

hahaahah ! Yeah definately one to watch but be warned it is very graphic violence and extremely disturbing- have to be in a frame of mind to deal with it I think.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Gone bush!

Yeah lol Snoey, a mistake that's often made!!

Will keep an eye out for it..obviously we're a behind the times 'down under' Luna??

RIP HEATH
*Gorgeous siggy by Nel*

*Don't Tell The Elf!*
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha's cat View Post
Yeah lol Snoey, a mistake that's often made!!

Will keep an eye out for it..obviously we're a behind the times 'down under' Luna??
You're down under LUNA?

Sorry that turn of phrase cracked me up!
Luv you guys!
Snoey
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Imagination Rules!

Geez Snoey, settle petal! You'll burst something. Well done with the Kiwi/Aussie separation, but I love the Kiwis so I never mind - we're down here together, we should be linked arm in arm I always say. Plus they're as mad as we are, probably more so truth be told.

Yeah TC, have no idea how I missed it at all...very quiet on the southern front here. Sounds great, love deep issues and emotional highs and lows - can handle the violence no probs, so long as there's a satisfactory ending (YOU LISTENING TO ME BRYCE COURTENAY YOU PILLOCK) sorry, had to get that off my chest, yet again.

Will keep an eye out but I have to see the two Startgate stand alone movies first priority. And the Dark Knight, haven't got there yet.

Luna
xx

Old August 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM

o/t Oh Luna, go see the Dark Knight. Heath will blow you away! He is excellent in this movie. I have seen it twice. Once on the regular theatre and once in IMAX. I saw it the second time just for Heath's performance. o/t

Hugs,
Snoey *grumbling* Why wasn't POTC 1-3 on IMAX it would have been EARTHSHATTERING TO SEE ORLANDO THAT BIG AND CLOSE UP!
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:07 AM

Please excuse the double post.

I was finally able to catch this movie from beginning to end. I hadn't missed much but I really wanted to see the opening credits. Sure enough there was the AWEFUL picture of Joe on the door in the opening credits.

I really caught quite a few parallels when I rewatched. Especially the hanging of the outlaw's body on the door.

This is a really well written movie. The cinematography was breathtaking.

Snoe - sorry again for the double post.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Dreamer

Snoey I have not seen this either...though it does sound rather grim and I am a bit sensitive to these sorts of movies and tend to get very upset. So will heed Nuit's warning and perhaps pick my time.

No worries about the double post it was quite a while between entries

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Imagination Rules!

Seen the Dark Knight - Heath was incredible. Great movie, loved it. But wow, Heath...just amazing.

Old September 4th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Gone bush!

I'm looking forward to it for sure Luna

RIP HEATH
*Gorgeous siggy by Nel*

*Don't Tell The Elf!*
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer View Post
Seen the Dark Knight - Heath was incredible. Great movie, loved it. But wow, Heath...just amazing.
That was a tour de force performance to be sure. He was unbelievably good!