Go Back   Orlando Love > Testing & Help Area > Need Help on OL?

Old January 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Krazy for the Elf

Post Pop-up Blocker Help

*NOTE* Neither myself nor OL can tell anyone they must add something to their computer, or change the settings, that is a personal choice. We have have supplied this information to the best of our knowledge and experience to try to help solve the "pop-up" problems.

BEFORE YOU GO THROUGH THIS, YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR COMPUTER'S SECURITY MANAGER FOR POP-UP/AD BLOCKER FUNCTIONS. YOUR COMPUTER'S SECURITY MANAGER OVER RIDES ANY OTHER BLOCKERS YOU MAY HAVE ANYWAY.

Pop-up Blocker in Internet Explorer
(A visual tut can be found HERE.)

Turning it on

1. From the menu bar select "tools"
2. Select "Pop-up Blocker" and click on "Turn on Pop-up Blocker"

Adjusting Settings

1. From the "Pop-up Blocker" menu select "Pop-up Blocker Settings"
2. Add any site addresses that you do not wish to have the pop-ups blocked into the "Exceptions" area.
3. Decide how you want to be notified of pop-up and what level of blocking you want (High/Medium/Low) in the "Notifications and filter level" section"

*you may need to restart Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect.

If you are still experiencing pop-up problems you may want to try using an "Ad Blocker" like this add-on HERE.

Pop-up Blocker in Firefox
(A visual tut can be found HERE.)

1. Click on the Tools option in the top menu bar (for Windows users) or the Firefox menu (for Mac users).
2. Click Options (for Windows) or Preferences (for a Mac). The corresponding box will now open.
3. Click the Content icon.
4. Make sure the box next to 'Block Pop-up Windows' is checked.
5. Click the 'Exceptions' button and a box titled 'Allowed Sites – Popups' will open. You can type in the web address of any sites for which you want to allow popups.
6. Close the box and then close the options box by clicking on 'OK'. Mac users only need to close the preferences box to save the new choices.

*Once the blocker is generally enabled, For any site not on your 'Allowed' list, Firefox will ask you once per session per website if you would like to have the pop-up blocker disabled. Which means, you get the "Firefox prevented a pop-up" -warning and the question if you want the pop-up enabled only once that session but will be asked again when you return to Firefox for a new session.

If you are still experiencing pop-up problems you may want to try using an "Ad Blocker" like this add-on HERE.

For "FLOCK", use the Firefox information.

**These intructions are to the best of my knowledge on the subject and if there is anything I have missed or needs to be changed please let me know.

If information is needed on any of the other browsers, such as Netscape or Opera please let us know.

Last edited by nuit; September 13th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks a lot for the instructions and especially for the tip with AdBlock. The internal pop-up blocker in FF never worked for the blasted sexcam site that always pops up after clicking on the pics - was a bit disturbing while in the office
No it seems to work, un-erotic drooling - well almost (you know what I mean)
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Utterly Obsessed

Ai! How do you use it on Flock?
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Krazy for the Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniran View Post
Ai! How do you use it on Flock?
Flock has the exact same set up as Firefox for setting up the "pop-up" blocker.
I found that out HERE.

I also looked into seeing if there was an add-on for blocking "ads". The information I came up with is that you would use the same add-on as Firefox.

I hope this helped. I had never heard of "flock" until today.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Utterly Obsessed

Thanks Krazymoonkat!

but...

=\
I just looked and mine is already on.
Is there any other way to stop the ads from coming up?
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:12 AM
besotted with buttons

have you looked into the add ons that kat suggested?

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Krazy for the Elf

I had the same issue, when I was testing out solutions. The "pop-up blocker" on it's own was not doing the job. For some people it did and some it didn't. That is why I searched for the "ad-blocker" add-on. I can not tell anyone they must add something to their computer that is a personal choice, but the "ad-blocker" I found did work for me.

Don't forget to check out you computers main security. It may have a "Blocker" solution.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniran View Post
=\
I just looked and mine is already on.
Is there any other way to stop the ads from coming up?
Have you checked the security system on your computer?

There are some computer main security softwares out there which overrun your internet browser (and other programs).
Meaning, no matter what features you enabled or disabled in IE or FF, the security system is reigning and doing the job.

So the first step should be to look at your computer's security and see if this has a separate pop up or ad blocker and set that one on.

If you're unsure it's probably best to ask for advice either with a help function of that program or the company's website/help line (or simply from someone tech-abled around) - there are so many security systems on the market and each works totally different, it's just impossible to give special tech help on these.

~ Naz ~

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ

Last edited by nazgul88; January 29th, 2009 at 07:31 PM.