Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Troy

Old March 7th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Malene

Okay,I'm breaking up the Eddie Izzard debate,dunno who he is...I come from Norway,I know naaathing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalime

Call me ridiculously idealistic, or whatever - but I don't feel that I want to watch my Orlando standing in front of a semi-naked woman, let alone taking her to bed! The thought of the expression on his face! I don't think I could take it. As weird as it sounds, I believe I could stomach the supposed violence in the movie better than i could that. I doubt if anyone else feels like I do - but it's just that it's Orlando, you know?? He's my elf, in my mind, and always will be, and for some reason, I don't want to remember him in the way I think Troy will portray him! I know I'm terribly idealistic, but I can't help it.

Now I'm sure you all think I've lost it.
I don't think you've lost it.And I see what you mean.
But I do think that when you watch all the future Orlando movies you will have to let go of the "MY Orlando" feeling.
He will probably do kissing and in-bed love scenes with many actresses. It's his job.(And of course you know that. :) )

Luckily I don't have a problem with it,I just think it's sexy beyond words..
Besides,Legolas can never be ruined for me. Not even by Billy Crystal...
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Ancalime

Malene, you know what? You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have referred to him as "my" Orlando. [-X

ancalime
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:33 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene
Luckily I don't have a problem with it,I just think it's sexy beyond words..
Besides,Legolas can never be ruined for me. Not even by Billy Crystal...
Agree on the first point, babe, but I dunno, that Billy Crystal picture was almost enough to do me in. Scary scary stuff. Thank Eru PJ had enough sense to cast Orlando as Legolas and no one else.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:29 PM
SinLooWho

I don't know about the bedroom scenes being hard. My stomach still turns flips when I watch him whisper "Elizabeth" in PotC. He is very sexy as the romantic. I do think I understand about how Troy will portray him. When I find an actor that I really like, it's hard for me to watch them be the bad, evil villain in the film, but after seeing MM, I think Orlando does the "bad boy" very well too. I think this will mark the first time I fall in love with the bad guy in any film that he is in on that side of the line
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:29 PM
dream wanderer

Here's another early screening reivew. This is from the IMDB Troy board. There is a disussion going on in the thread "Just saw Troy' if anyone is interested

Just saw Troy in a screening. I didn't know for sure if it was going to be Troy becuase it was not announced until just before it started, but I had a feeling. I was planning to see this movie when it came out anyways so I was glad to see it early. There were still some color problems on film that they said they had yet to fix, but it sounded like it had a complete soundtrack (that I have to admit was kind of overbearing at sometimes)

I can't really comment on the accuracy of the film to Homer's the Illiad because I'm not that well versed in the story, but this movie is definitely striving for epic.
To me there was no defined "main character", becuase in the beginning, characters, including Brad Pitt's Achilles come and go off screen for up to 15 minutes or so. The beginning was a bit slow, and there were some elements in the very beginning that I heard others around me commenting on being unecessary as well.

Diane Kruger (Helen) is very beautiful, and I read on some other post that there is a full frontal shot of her naked, sorry to disappoint the males, but that scene was gone from this version. There was a lot of leg from the male cast... which I, being a 21 year old female have to say that I enjoyed a lot. It was nice to see gratutious male skin instead naked girls for once.

The battle scenes were alright (and I do have to say that I have seen my fair share of battle/war movies) but none of the choreography was that exciting or new.

Orlando Bloom, god bless him, is hot, and you get a nice shot of him from about the hips on up naked. But halfway through the movie they give him a bow and arrow, and I could not help but think of him as Legolas. He makes the same facial expressions over and over. I have seen him in Pirates Of the Carribean also, but I had not seen the LOTR movies yet, so I cannot say whether I will always just picture him as an elf or not.

For me, Eric Bana and Sean Bean gave the best performances.

I have never been a huge Brad Pitt hater or lover and I don't think he did a bad job by any means in the movie, I just don't think he had enough redeeming qualities by the end of the movie. He didn't really seem like a likeable enough hero to me. I could be way off on this, perhaps thats exactly how Homer wrote it, but Achilles "Hero's journey" was just not complete enough for me.

There is definitely enough blood and shots of Brad Pitt's rear for the movie to be rated R. I can't see it as PG-13 unless they trim down a lot of the battles. The movie ran just about 2 hours and 40 minutes without end credits.

I would still recommend this to friends, it was a good escapist movie and a good way to spend a few hours. I wasn't at all disappointed in it, it could have been better, I would like to see what changes they make if any, for the theatrical release. I think it well do very well in the box offices, but as for Oscars? well.......I guess we'll just have to see how the rest of the movies pan out to be in 2004.

dream wanderer
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Elements

Nice, thanks for bringing it over DW. I was pleased with the "naked from the hips up" part, that's what we all want isn't it As for her comments about the bow and arrow and Legolas, I think we are all going to get a flash of that, it will be hard not to. It seems like quite a good, though rather brief, review. Just makes me want to see this more and more.
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Threthiel

I quote "gratutious male skin " instead of women. Yea! Finally a movie that makes a man a sex object!

At least this review is from a woman. You don't see all going ga-ga over the guys like that man did over Helen.

Thanks for posting this DW.
Old March 11th, 2004, 03:29 PM
In Valinor

Thanks for posting that DW. I was lurking over on IMBD but the way some of those people continue to rag on Orlando truly grated on my nerves and I couldn't take it anymore.

Now...I'm definitely looking forward to "gratutious male skin" as well!
Old March 11th, 2004, 03:39 PM
OrlandosRiverRat

Quote:
Orlando Bloom, god bless him, is hot, and you get a nice shot of him from about the hips on up naked. But halfway through the movie they give him a bow and arrow, and I could not help but think of him as Legolas. He makes the same facial expressions over and over. I have seen him in Pirates Of the Carribean also, but I had not seen the LOTR movies yet, so I cannot say whether I will always just picture him as an elf or not.
Bloody hell . Worries me that she draws a parallel with though. Obviously, his hardcore fans are going to do this, but I wonder if critics and casual fans like her are going to do the same and kinda write him off as this woman did

Thanks for this, DW
Old March 11th, 2004, 03:49 PM
dream wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf Lady
Thanks for posting that DW. I was lurking over on IMBD but the way some of those people continue to rag on Orlando truly grated on my nerves and I couldn't take it anymore.

Now...I'm definitely looking forward to "gratutious male skin" as well!
I do my best to try and 'rag' back.

dream wanderer
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Photo Fanatic

Have to admit Legolas is what I immediately thought when I saw this:

There are also a couple pictures from the movie where he wears the same expression. But, given it's the same face, regardless of the movie, that's bound to happen. Although I didn't see any Legolas in Will Turner.

Casey

Keeper of Legolas' Lothlorien Bow, Quiver and White Knives
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM
In Valinor

I've noticed, dw. Believe me. You do an admirable job, along with a few other level minded people. I just can't believe the amount of disdain some of those people have for Orlando. Honestly! Pronouncing that he can't act in the film, when they haven't even seen it! And that other person ragging on Diane Kruger just based on the trailer. Pffft!
Old March 11th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Thank you for sharing the review with us DW Love the sound of 'naked from the hips up' Really can't wait for this movie...Okay for obvious reasons, but I've always loved The Illiad and while this is not exactly true to it, it's based on it and I can't wait to see it come to life on the big screen.

Now also very curious about seeing Eric Bana and Sean Beans performance! :)

Angel
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:05 AM
jsclark86

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004, I was lucky enough to see Troy for the first time. The first thing I have to say it that the movie is AWESOME! Orlando looks so good in this film (Eric Bana and Brad Pitt have some fines bodies too) and this is his best acting I have seen so far.
The film jumps right into the story. It tells the audience about the background of Sparta and the other reasons why they attack Troy (besides the obvious one). The film runs very smoothly and the music fits perfectly. The story is focused more on Achilles and not so much Troy, but don't worry, Paris is in the movie more than the last review mentioned. The fight between Hector and Achilles is one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen and the fight scene between Paris and Menelaus is also one to watch for (not giving away any secerets). Also, Orlando pulls some Legolas style arrow shooting and he still does not miss.
About the nudity, there is more of Brad than there is of Orlando. Orlando is shown just enough to not show his whatsits and Brad's rear is shown a few times. Oh, and Diane is shown from the waist up, but it is only for a split second.
All in all the film is EXCELLENT, the story is told wonderfully, and the acting is supurb.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the film. If you post your question, I will answer them as best I can.

~jsclark86
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:20 AM
In Valinor

jsclark! Glad you were able to register! Thank you so much for the review!

Btw, if you want to post spoilers and don't want the text to appear, use this font colour code #D4EAFE.

So this is what you would type:
[code:1:6c55031261]&#91;color=#D4EAFE&#93;Paris is so incredibly HOT!&#91;/color&#93;[/code:1:6c55031261]

and it comes out like this (highlight to read):
Paris is so incredibly HOT!

Now, questions:

1. The Paris/Helen love scene...is it on furs?

2. When you mentioned that this is Orlando's best acting so far, could you elaborate?

3. What are those hairclips in the characters' hair?

4. Why don't I have any serious questions? I think my brain is fried with all the Paris pics!
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Threthiel

Quote:
Now, questions:

1. The Paris/Helen love scene...is it on furs?
Yeah, same question!

EL you naughty lass! I am right there with you!
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:34 AM
jsclark86

1. Sorry to say, there wasn't a "love scene". They were naked, thats all. They were talking and Paris gave Helen a necklace. I don't think that there were any furs on the bed.

2. I thought that the scene when Paris is fighting Menelaus was his best scene in the movie. Paris crawls to Hector and the fear in Paris's eyes was so intense.

3. The hairclips in his hair are there for show; Hector has them too.

4. These ARE serious questions.
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:28 AM
In Valinor

What?! No furs?! No making out like weasels in heat?! Rats!

Another question, how sympathetic is Paris in this film. I gather he comes across as quite unlikeable at first but it seems as if the audience might gain a small measure of sympathy for him. At least that is the impression I got from some test screening reviewers.
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:45 AM
jsclark86

At first, Paris isn't liked much because he stole Helen from Menelaus. Then he is a coward in the fight between him and Menelaus, but in the end he redeems himself. He fights more.

Spoilers! Highlite to read.

When Paris loses his brother Hector and his father tells Hector that Hector "is the best son a father could ever have" in front of Paris, you feel sorry for him. Paris redeems himself by killing Achilles and making suggestions on how to fight the war.

Paris isn't sympathetic towards Menelaus because Paris wants Helen for himself. The audience does begin to feel sympathy towards Paris because they know how much he loves Helen and the fact that he gets a beating from Menelaus.
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:16 AM
10th Doctor's Companion

Quote:
What?! No furs?! No making out like weasels in heat?! Rats!
Wait a minute. I feel like I should mod this.

Now for a real serious question: Do we ever see Paris in a bath?

Actually, what I'd like to know is whether this feels like an epic? Does it feel like something that will be a classic?

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:31 AM
jsclark86

No, unfortunately we never see Paris in a bath.

This would be considered an epic, but it plays out like a story. It is more about Achilles and what he goes through in his life. I would say that this wouldn't be a classic because of who is in it; they are not really big Hollywood stars right now. Granted that Orlando is the IT boy right now and Brad Pitt is a well known actor, but they aren't considered among the big names in Hollywood right now. Lets hope that it will all change in the future.
Old March 12th, 2004, 04:26 AM
lilbambina6329

i have a question..paris doesn't die or anything right??? because i saw some screencaps and it looked like he got stabbed with a sword and like fell to the ground..did he die or just get injured..??

plzzz.. don't tell me he dies...

lilbambina
Old March 12th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Leggyslove

wow. Lucky you for seeing the film. I have a question (but it seems most of my questions were already asked *cough* O:) , here's mine (high light to read):

Who does end up killing Paris? Or does he die at all? There's a discussion going on in my journal about who kills Paris, since it looks like no one was cast in the role of Philoctetes.

Thanks!
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Elements

Lucky lucky wotsit you! Thank you so much for coming and telling us about it. The part that you mentioned as being Orlando's best scene is the one I guessed would be. I know that I will feel so sorry for him and yet so disgusted by him at the same time at that bit, I can't wait to see it.

My question: How do you get to see movie previews?
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:41 PM
jsclark86

Paris does NOT die in the movie. He is severly beaten by Menelaus, but he DOES NOT die.

I saw Hidlago on Sunday, March 7 and a woman was passing out a flyer for a Sneak Preview of a movie. They can't say what the movie is because then people would be biased toward the movie. I guess I was lucky that day.