Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Movies/TV/Stage -various smaller roles and projects > Black Hawk Down

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Film Discussion

well ive got the list of all the films and tv shows that orlando has been in and im working my way through them,
have bought 3 so far with 2 more on order at amazon,
but the thing is i really dont know about this film.
i know its about some war and thats really not my type of movie, so is it worth the 15 to buy or will it be watched once and then never seen again.
as i thing you are all ladies what do the people that have seen it feel?
thanks
flipp.
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Threthiel

I don't own the movie yet, but plan on purchasing it at some time. I think it is a really moving story of America's armed forces and what they have to go through, and shows our goverment really had no idea what it was doing. His part is really small. Personally if you only want it for him, I'd just go rent it and watch that part, first 30 minutes, and then if you do enjoy it you can buy it.
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:45 AM
10th Doctor's Companion

I agree with Red. If you only want it for Orlando then you'll be disappointed because he is not in it except at the very beginning. It's a very good movie though, and I don't even like war movies. It's well done and the cinematography is spectacular. it is also rather gory at times. I would also suggest renting it first.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Elements

Black Hawk Down is one of the best war movies there is - ranks up there with Platoon definately, and for me is just a couple of rungs down from Gallipoli. But it is harrowing, it shows war for what it is - pointless and barbaric and bloody. If you want to watch a great war film then definately get this, but if you are doing it just for Orlando, don't bother.
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Nabila

I agree with you all.
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:15 PM
In Valinor

I never saw the film until recently because I don't usually do well with realistic depictions of horrific real life events. However, I finally watched it (thanks to Serein who gave me the DVD) and while it is gory, it is a very good film. But as others have noted, if you're just going to watch it for Orlando, then rent it.
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Trojan Queen

I love Orlando, but this is one I won't be buying. We rented it and he was fantastic. With all the war in the world right now, it was too realistic for me. I do admit though, I,m not real big on war movies. Hope this helps!

Trojan Queen
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:05 PM

thanks all,
i wasnt sure how big a part orlando had,
i have now found out that a friends boyfriends has it on dvd so i think im going to have to start sweet talking him.
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:50 PM
dream wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipp
thanks all,
i wasnt sure how big a part orlando had,
i have now found out that a friends boyfriends has it on dvd so i think im going to have to start sweet talking him.
I love the movie and still watch it from time to time (what has being a 'girlie got to do with it? ) but I agree..if you are not into war movies borrow or rent it first. Make sure you watch the extras on both the theaterical and the extended DVDs because there are some interviews with Orlando on them. He's very cute in those.

Although his part is small I think this is one of Orlando's best acting moments. He uses an American accent and he is doing something 'modern day'.

dream wanderer
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:46 AM
SueJo2

I really didn't like it. I agree like everyone else I watched it to see Orlando in it when he was off the screen I cut it off and took it back.

s
Old June 12th, 2004, 11:58 PM

well i cant say i enjoyed it, but i dont think i was ment to, its the only film where i have yelled at the screen and thrown things, it made me so mad,
but i am really glad i watched it, and i will be buying it,.
all the actors did a fab job and i really felt for them and felt so helpless just watching them being shot at. and knowing it was a true story mad me even more mad.
its now on my wish list on amazon and i will get around to buying it.
thank you all that helped me work out if i wanted to watch it, (always thought of it as a blokes film)
flipp.
Old June 13th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Threthiel

Glad you saw it and could see what our boys go through when someone higher up decides their lives. It's a great look into that, and your right the actors (bloom, bana, McGregor, Hartnett) they did fabulous.
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM
dr.

its a good movie but you havent seen anything worse i bet.i am a blackhawk piolot in the 160th soar the men said i wouldnt make its but i did yep the girl made it. its not as real as war.
Old September 11th, 2004, 03:48 AM
luv4ever

i just borrowed this from a friend. i havent watched it yet though. i cant wait too. this may sound stupid, but im just watching it for the actors and orlando. im not into war movies. hehe. but i will be sure to watch it. i just hope its not TOO gory for me.
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Threthiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4ever
i just borrowed this from a friend. i havent watched it yet though. i cant wait too. this may sound stupid, but im just watching it for the actors and orlando. im not into war movies. hehe. but i will be sure to watch it. i just hope its not TOO gory for me.
I don't consider the movie gory. But I do consider it a good example of what is going on over in the middle east today. Most war movies don't do reality justice.

Let me know what you think of it. I've found this one of the most moving movies I have seen to date. I can't help but cry each time I see it.
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:25 AM
HauntedByFear

I found myself upset in some scenes but I managed to watch the entire thing. It's a very good movie and a very realistic account of war and its toll on human life. I had my one of my best friends with me so that made it easier to watch. I would recommend it to anyone.
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Balian's Lover

orlando is in only the first 20 minutes of the movie or so but the movie is really gross i had a hard time watching it with out getting sick, its too bloody for me, i bought the movie like in 2002 just because josh hartnett was in it and i have only watched it once since then. i didnt even know orlando was in it until i saw lotr in july of 2002.

Nikki
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Kat

I agree with all you girls about the film and Orlando being in the movie only 20 min's, but orlando is still in the movie and so is Eric Bana. They both look sexy...!
Orli does fall down and thats it for him, he falls from the plane, mind u all Josh.H looks sexy!
Old October 14th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Cl@re

If it hadn't have been for Orlando (& Ewan) I wouldn't have even given this movie a second thought. But then it would've been my loss because it is a great film and I don't even go in for war movies. It is upsetting though. So if you are put off because Orlando isn't in it much then maybe rent it first. See what you think.
Old October 14th, 2004, 03:46 PM
belovedastoria

Quote:
i know its about some war and thats really not my type of movie, so is it worth the 15 to buy or will it be watched once and then never seen again.
I own it myself ... because Orlando is in it for the first 45 minutes or so. Its not as bad as "Wilde", where he's only in it for 5 minutes. But I don't know if you'd want to buy it for juts 45 minutes, maybe you should rent it first.
Old December 31st, 2004, 03:37 AM
MrsTurner

As soon as Orlando's character died, I suddenly didnt like it anymore. I thought it dragged on for too long. Not much of a fan of war movies, and I will admit I only watched it because of orlando!
Old December 31st, 2004, 05:03 AM
Gibboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTurner
As soon as Orlando's character died, I suddenly didnt like it anymore. I thought it dragged on for too long. Not much of a fan of war movies, and I will admit I only watched it because of orlando!

But PFc. Todd Blackburn (Orlando's Character) doesnt die in it... If you get the EE Black Hawk down there is a deleted scene and it is of Orlando all sweaty and doped up and shirtless with a neck brace on talking to SSgt. Eversmann (Josh Hartnett's Character).. There are so many good looking men in this movie like Eric Bana just to name one.. I used to watch it every day and drool!

Gib
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Mrs. Brian Epkeen

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibboo
But PFc. Todd Blackburn (Orlando's Character) doesnt die in it... If you get the EE Black Hawk down there is a deleted scene and it is of Orlando all sweaty and doped up and shirtless with a neck brace on talking to SSgt. Eversmann (Josh Hartnett's Character).. There are so many good looking men in this movie like Eric Bana just to name one.. I used to watch it every day and drool!

Gib
Well, I've never been that interested in seeing it, but you just sold me on it, Gib!

Gorgeous avatar and signature by erendira!
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM
lovin_leggie

mabey i will go borrow my friends copy.....*runs as as she can fast down the street in the direction of the friends house*
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
OrlyB&BenBfangrl

Smile

Yes I agree with everyone........... if you want to buy it just for Orly's part, than don't... it's really gory and intense. If you're into that sorta stuff, than go for it.