Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Kingdom of Heaven

Old April 29th, 2005, 12:19 PM
zephyr

KoH: General talks about the movie, the history and political discussion

I've been spending time in this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibelin , and I found very interesting to read the historical facts and persons in which Ridley Scott based his movie Kingdom of Heaven.
There you can learn about the castle and the village of Ibelin, and the historical facts about the main characters of KoH.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Luthien

Thanks viczgz. I like things like this. I will go and read about it.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM
anneashburn188

I've been reading up on some History books. I'm a University student btw and I happen to Major in History.

It's been a fascinating experience to read them up.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Anary

Thank you Viczgz. I'm just thinking about to find out the background history of KoH, and you save me a lot of troubles.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:13 AM
luxybird

Upset at cut scenes?

I am wondering,
seeing how i haven't really seen it mentioned in depth, about the lack- of luv scenes between Sabillla ( don't think i spelt her name right) and Balian?I have heard that it will be on the extended dvd, but i'd just like to know if you all would've been happier with more love scenes..personally I LOVED THE MOVIE..but i was dissappointed that the pictures of sabilla( again mis spelt) with black gloves wasn't in the movie, nor was the picture of Balian shirt-less in bed ( pictured in the new Teen People magazine)!!! ( get it!!!) ( the picture is like a whole page size...good enough though!!)
Anyways, how do you all feel about the lack of scenes??
Just wondering ....

lux
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Passionate about the Elf

I would have sat throughthe WHOLE movie... I wanted to see Sybilla and her child, I wanted to see many of the scenes that were obviously cut for time's sake. I think the movie would have been more understandable to those who aren't obcessed with Orlando, like us. I've seen it twice so far... once with my hubby and once with my mother and both times they were asking me continuity questions throughout the movie.

Mirk
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:09 AM
sweet.luvin

well i guess we are ALL gunna REALLY look 4ward to the EE of Kingdom of Heaven lol
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:27 AM
luxybird

don't get me wrong, the movie was WONDERFUL without the love scenes...but of corse, we all are bummed...
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:36 AM
In Valinor

I've edited the thread title so that if people want to discuss other cut scenes we have one place to do so.
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:41 AM
luv4ever

i would like to see more of the shirtless orlando scenes, the story with sibylla and her child, and also just more scenes with balian and sibylla
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Etoiline

I think there were lots of character development scenes cut, which I understand, but it surely would have been nice to see more of Liam Neeson, more interaction between Imad and Balian, what happens between Balian and Guy (weren't they supposed to have a big fight at the end?), stuff like that. I would also like to see what happened with Sibylla's child, and does anyone else think that there should have been some sort of ceremony when Balian got his blue Jerusalem outfit? I mean, one scene he's wearing his burgundy and gold of Ibelin and the next day he's a knight of Jerusalem, wearing the blue of the King, which, at the time, was Guy, right? Eh. Obviously no love lost between the two of them, so how'd he get it? Did the burgundy/gold get ruined during a food fight the night before? Perhaps we'll never know.

~Cal
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I really would have liked to have had the scenes that dealt with Balian and his wife & child before she committed suicide and afterwards as he mourned their deaths. I understand there were some. And there were scenes with the priest at the gravesite (he and Balian arguing) and the scenes of Balian in jail that got left out. They would have helped us emphasize more with Balian (not just drool over him !!)

Naturally, as everyone seems to agree, more of the relationship between Balian and Sybilla should have been left in to make the love story more important. Sybilla's whole story about her son was completely left out too (a very dramatic bit of acting for Eva not shown). .

And if Balian had a fight with Guy at the end of the movie, that should have been left in too. We were never told exactly what happened to Guy.

Whoever did the cutting/editing on this movie sure messed up !!! By adding just another 15 min., and deleting some battle minutes, this would have made a much more cohesive movie.

All I can say is: I can't wait for that EE DVD !!!
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:52 AM
zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggybelle
I really would have liked to have had the scenes that dealt with Balian and his wife & child before she committed suicide and afterwards as he mourned their deaths. I understand there were some.
Well Leggybelle, actualy the first scene of the script is the burial of Balian's wife, so there are no scenes of them toghether, as she has just commited suicide when the movie begins.
But yes many other scenes were shot with Balian, as I commented in the thread KoH EE DVD.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Sibelle

Im repeating myself, but I really think that the beginning of the film wasnt good as so many important, character developing scenes were missing. The first time I really got a feeling for the character of Balian was when he arrived in Jerusalem.
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:47 PM
OURSOULINA

I 've seen the film twice already(and I am going to see it at least two more ), but I am a little dissapointed about scenes they were cut off, because we saw them so many times in the different versions of the trailers and in the theatrical version of the film ..........weren't there! First of all, the scene where Sibylla runs and embraces her son, then the scene with Balian and Sibylla's son where he turns as he is walking in the corridor with that blue robe and sees a door open and the boy looking at him. And if I remember well, the little boy appears in Sibylla's coronation scene, too. Why did they cut that part? It would be great to see Eva Green as a mother too, that aspect of her character would help to understand some of her motivations and acts. Then, they cut off scenes with the Hospitaler(David Thewllis). One of the scenes that striked me when I first saw the first trailer, was the dialogue between him and Balian: "I 've got to pray. For what? For the strength to endure what is to come" and then the scene where Balian wears his hood, his hair in the wind, turning to see the person beside him. And where was the scene when Balian tells " I must prepare to defend the city" and Sibylla turns her head crying? And the lovely scene with Balian, wearing the outfit after the shipwreck and holding his sword and then turning his back and walking in the sunset? And what about the scene that every trailer of the movie begins, with the two horses galloping in the desert in the sunset again? And, the most important, WHERE WAS THE LOVE SCENE FROM THE JAPANESE TRAILER WHERE WE GET TO SEE BALIAN'S ARMS AND BACK? AND THE SCENE "THE MORNING AFTER" WITH SIBYLLA LEANING TOWARDS AND KISSING HIM WHEN THEY ARE IN BED? I really hope that we get to see all these wonderful scenes in the extented edition, because in my opinion will help to understand the characters better and flesh them out. I was expecting to see them and when I started to think about them after I saw the movie for the first time, I must admit I was a little dissapointed. But there is the optimistic side of the story: more interesting things to see when the DVD comes out(maybe sir Ridley holds the "good ones" for the special edition ). Dear God, I haven't stopped watching the movie yet, and now I am already expecting the DVD!
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:00 AM
luxybird

I am sure that the dvd will not dissappoint anyone....but the movie was wonderful, but again, I would have like more interaction between Balian and sibylla, but perhaps it is for the best that they were cut??( Yeah...like more shirt-less orlando is ever not good?? )

Old May 12th, 2005, 03:20 AM
elfgirl

upset too..

I thought that I had missed something when I when to see the film last week. But I guess I didn't, because the scenes were cut. According to the USA TODAY, Eva Green was also upset that the scenes were cut between her and Orlando. She didn't know that they had been cut until she went to see the entire movie. Ridley Scott probably thought that they really didn't add anything to the film. But I'm glad to hear that the scenes will be put back for the extended DVD. Those extra 15-20 lbs. that he put on REALLY look good on him!
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:56 AM
dee_liteful_1

Quote:
By adding just another 15 min., and deleting some battle minutes, this would have made a much more cohesive movie.
I agree. I've seen it three times already, and the second time I caught some things I missed and it started making more sense and was somewhat more cohesive. I'm looking forward to the EE.

And yes, I agree with you elflady... those extra 15-20 pounds really did look good on him.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:28 AM
luv4ever

yeah, i wanna see "the morning after" scene too. and then the story with sibylla and her child.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:53 AM
On a Yellow Slide

dee_liteful_1 that was elfgirl who said that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfgirl
Ridley Scott probably thought that they really didn't add anything to the film. But I'm glad to hear that the scenes will be put back for the extended DVD. Those extra 15-20 lbs. that he put on REALLY look good on him!
I sort of doubt Ridley Scott thought they didn't add anything to the film, or he wouldn't have filmed them in the first place. Whether the scenes were removed because of pressure from the studio to shorten the film, or at Ridley Scott's direction we may never know, but I do hope much of it is added back to the extended DVD.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM
*Blue Eyes*

Yeah I'd love to see some more Sybilla/Balian scenes too, and I can't wait for the EE DVD!!
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM
unbraided elf

I would like to see any scenes that would help with the plot. So much was cut that left me wondering, "what the heck?" I understand scenes with Balian and his wife weren't shot, but I think that was a real mistake. So much of his character could have been explained with a couple of minutes of "before she died" scenes that showed their life together. This was supposed to be one man's journey. How do you understand the "man" when you don't know who he was before the "journey"?
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:40 PM
zephyr

Yeah, I think that the introduction of the movie should include more about the normal life of Balian before the whole thing arise.
Though secenes with Balian and his wife were never shot.
BTW the actress chosen for Balian's dead wife was a very beautiful blond girl.
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:03 PM
dee_liteful_1

Quote:
dee_liteful_1 that was elfgirl who said that...
Oh, I'm sorry.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I agree with what Unbraided Elf said:

"I understand scenes with Balian and his wife weren't shot, but I think that was a real mistake. So much of his character could have been explained with a couple of minutes of "before she died" scenes that showed their life together. This was supposed to be one man's journey. How do you understand the "man" when you don't know who he was before the "journey"?

I think we are all looking at KOH from a woman's viewpoint....we want to "understand" Balian, so we can emphasize with his torment and decisions. There should have been more female input into this movie !!! Then Sybilla's scenes would not have been cut either !!!

I guess we have to reconcile ourselves to the fact that this is a man"s movie story-wise (we females get to drool over Balian ), and then we get "our" movie on the EE DVD !!!