Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Main Street

Old March 29th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalassatx View Post
I'm sorta horrified by this casting, honestly. I love to see him working lots, but this role doesn't sound like a good role for him. I hope I'm wrong!
I believe Orlando always thinks very carefully about the roles he will play, and I'm sure he sees a challenge in this character. I must say that, if he is playing a Law student, I hope he wears some cute dark rimmed glasses.

Missy
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I think the casting is great for orlando because finally we get to see him in completely different roles. From a rockstar to a police officer???! SERIOUSLY?!! I hope he pulls it off. And to be honest, you don't have to like this movie. But the idea of Orlando appealing to different audiences will ultimately help his career. Lets just hope he does the role justice!!! I for one, am excited and happy just to see him working again. Now's not the time to be picky with roles
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but casting is a very delicate thing, and him performing in a role which is wrong for him would be exposing him to ridicule. I don't ever want to see that.
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:11 AM
X-Ray Boxer Vision

I think right now Orlando wants to show his range as an actor and that he's able to tackle all sorts of different characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolover View Post
Uhm, no but now you mentioned it... More Orlando for the survivors!!!! *runs off to the gutter to grab the defis, the heart drops and oxygen masks and stores them at a secret place*
Sorry to tell you, but I'm still alive,so you'll have to share Orlando.
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but casting is a very delicate thing, and him performing in a role which is wrong for him would be exposing him to ridicule. I don't ever want to see that.
all I can tell you is that its best to be optimistic. Orlando is going to make his own decisions. He's the one who's read the script and he's the one who knows what it is he's capable of. He may prove everyone wrong or he may prove them right. But what I can encourage you to do is to stay positive. The plot of the movie or orlando's role in it may not interest you but I can honestly say seeing all these projects is a hell of a lot better than last year when there were none. As far as casting goes, I think it was Leo who mentioned that at the end of the day its a job and sometimes you have to take what you can get. Like I said before, I don't think now is the time to be picky. He's gotta get to work and I'm just happy he's found it finally...
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanyginz View Post
The plot of the movie or orlando's role in it may not interest you
You misunderstand me. The movie sounds fantastic. The role sounds fantastic. The other cast sounds brilliant.

But even a great actor can be miscast in a role he or she isn't suited for. They can be cast as someone too old, or too young. They can be put in a role where the character just isn't them. Will Smith in Wild Wild West? Colin Farrell as Alexander? Kevin Costner as Robin Hood... that's actually a fitting example because of the accent switch.

I would absolutely LOVE to see Orlando do some comedy. I just don't see him as a small town Southern cop.
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
I would absolutely LOVE to see Orlando do some comedy. I just don't see him as a small town Southern cop.
what i'm basically saying is that we're not going to like every decision orlando makes career wise but at the end of the day its his and we don't really know under what circumstances he decided on this role but as much as we would LOVE to see orlando in this role or that I'm afraid its not up to us. it appears thats not where orlando wants to take his career but you don't have to be on board to respect his decision. but respect that its his decision

btw I believe Sympathy for Delicious is comedy so that's certainly something we could all look forward to
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Human News Ticker

Here is a report about the casting call yesterday

Herald Sun

Quote:
Movie casting call draws hundreds of extra hopefuls

DURHAM -- More than 400 people turned out for the chance to be in an upcoming movie filmed in Durham.

The casting call, which took place at the Homestead Suites on N.C. 55, was for extras in "Main Street," which will begin filming April 6.

The movie focuses on a "diverse group of residents and their respective life changes when outsider Gus Leroy brings something new and potentially dangerous into their quiet town," according to extra casting director Maxann Crotts-Harvey.

Orlando Bloom, Colin Firth, Ellen Burstyn and Patricia Clarkson are slated to star in the film, Crotts-Harvey said.

She said the film will need about 250-300 extras, all of whom will be local.

"We can't pay for housing or travel for extras," Crotts-Harvey said. "We do pay them -- they get minimum wage -- but we want people we can depend on. We need people that can work any time."

Crotts-Harvey said the movie will be filmed all over the Durham area through May.

Jacquetta Taborn, Miss Durham County 2008, said she'd like to be cast in the film.

"If this movie's going to be about my town I would love to participate. I think it's important for people to know about Durham," Taborn said. "I'm from Durham so I've seen the growth, I've seen the loss. I've seen it come up and down, and we're on our way back up again."

Wendy Petty, who has been an extra on television shows "One Tree Hill" and "Whittaker Bay," also came out for the event.

"I think it's cool that they're doing something like this in Durham. Normally you have to travel to Wilmington or Charlotte," she said.

Emmy Smith brought her daughters Courtney and Ariel Smith to the casting call Saturday.

Courtney Smith, 11, a student at E.K. Powe Elementary School, has been in a pageant, a commercial and played Goldilocks in a school play, but this would be her first role as an extra in a movie.

"I just think it would be a lot of fun," she said. "I've always wanted to be in a movie."
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

thanks IC, so looking at about possibly 2 months of filming and Id say this is pretty good confirmation! Cant wait for the 6th!!
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM
besotted with buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interconnector View Post
This notice about Saturdays casting call states that

It seems more and more likely that he's definately in this.
Thanks IC! Thats great news

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:32 AM
dazzled

I'm just happy that we're going to see him on screen again ...not picky about the character he's going to play ( a policeman with the looks of Peter Drinkwater !!!)
As for accents ....it's seems a British affair ?( John Doyle , Colin Firth )
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Good I think we might need them!

sig by erendira :)
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Frecklescounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabel89 View Post
Sorry to tell you, but I'm still alive,so you'll have to share Orlando.
We will see what happen when Ginger brings him bound with his handcuffs to us. And it's handcuffs and nothing at all.

Thanks for the info, IC! Can't wait for pics.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Adoring

Great news! Thanks for posting this, Interconnector!

A big thank you to my mom for this beautiful new siggi set.
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Passionately Enthralled

woot! So excited and can't wait to see him on set (and in uniform)

Thanks IC!
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Can I say this? At the end of the day, Orlando has worked with the most reputed directors and producers. I can quote lots of supporting roles which became unforgetable and even eclipsed the main role in the film.
it is good news because this is another proof -if he is in need of somethin like that- that people who say that Orlando is a kind of gimmick to attract fans and teenage is definetely wrong. Orlando attracts good directors and not kind of blockbuster films.
a bad role can be great in the hands of a good actor. I believe in Orlando as an actor and I wish him the best of luck!
btw... it would be a good idea to show him under a sexy light!
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I'm so mad My god-son Josh who was supposed to go to the casting call chickened out. He didn't go He missed out on the chance to work with Orlando. He's crazy I tell ya! Oh well. I'm still going when they start filming that is. I have to try. I'm just in shock ya'll. N.C. of all places. Orlando while your here you better try the grits and hushpuppies!

Last edited by Ginger; March 30th, 2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: I failed english
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Frecklescounter

*smacks forehead* A true chance to work with Orlando and he didn't call?
You still have the chance to meet him on set. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM
pirates1

a cop

i think it is awesome. every character he plays is awesome
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Adoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Can I say this? At the end of the day, Orlando has worked with the most reputed directors and producers. I can quote lots of supporting roles which became unforgetable and even eclipsed the main role in the film.
it is good news because this is another proof -if he is in need of somethin like that- that people who say that Orlando is a kind of gimmick to attract fans and teenage is definetely wrong. Orlando attracts good directors and not kind of blockbuster films.
a bad role can be great in the hands of a good actor. I believe in Orlando as an actor and I wish him the best of luck!
btw... it would be a good idea to show him under a sexy light!
I couldn't agree with you more. I am so looking forward to seeing Orlando tackle this new role and his success at it.

Thanks to everyone for passing along all the info on this new movie.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:40 AM
at world´s end and beyond

Main Street is now updated on IMDB and Orlando is listed in the cast. Some characters have a name already, but not Orlando´s character yet

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365483/
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Human News Ticker

According to Hollywood.com his characters name is Harris Parker.
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Utterly Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I'm so mad My god-son Josh who was supposed to go to the casting call chickened out. He didn't go He missed out on the chance to work with Orlando. He's crazy I tell ya! Oh well. I'm still going when they start filming that is. I have to try. I'm just in shock ya'll. N.C. of all places. Orlando while your here you better try the grits and hushpuppies!
Well, if that's not a reason to disinherit your godson, I don't know what is.(just kidding ) If I lived in or near Durham, I'd be among the first in line for the casting call. And they wouldn't even have to pay me. The chance to be close to Orlando would be good enough for me.

Thanks Nel for the IMDB link. But looking at the character names makes me laugh. Who would have thought that Colin Firth would ever play a man named Gus? And is Leroy his last name or second first name? And the women are named Georgiana and Willa? I'm getting nervous that Orlando's cop will be called Billy Bob or Billy Ray.

Wonderful Siggie made by the late great Leggybelle! I love you Mom and I miss you.

Beautiful Legolas icon made by Nel. Thank you so much!
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interconnector View Post
According to Hollywood.com his characters name is Harris Parker.
tee hee... harris...

thanks ic
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanyginz View Post
tee hee... harris...
Wonder if they'll be callin' him 'Harry'?

Thanks, IC! Again!