Go Back   Orlando Love > The Graphics Gallery > In Celebration - Featured Artists of Orlando Love

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Andnolewen's (Tonny) Top 10

I feel flattered and honored to be the next artist "in Celebration"
(I've always wanted to say that) but seriously;I feel very honored Nuit has asked me.

Ten she said, choose a Top Ten......
It was a tough job, almost impossible, but whenever asked “what is your favorite”, there are a few drawings that just stand out.

-Of course there are the ones Orlando signed. That simply is the greatest reward for all the hard work.

-And then there are Viggo, Andy Serkis, Billy Boyd, John Rhys Davies, Ioan Gruffudd and Lee Mead;
all have been so gracious and kind to honor my work with their comments and signatures.
(That Viggo one -of Alatriste- has a special story: sent by me by mail to my friend in Italy who went to see him in Rome. On her way there her luggage got stolen and my drawing along with it. The police found her bag back the day after in a different city where she had to go and pick it up. The drawing was slightly damaged but my friend returned just in time to Rome and had it signed eventually by Viggo, earning hugs and kisses from him. It is now safely on my wall).

-There’s all the Orlando characters which I have done, all except Blackburn.

-There’s short hair, long hair and tied back hair.

-Then there are the drawings appreciated by readers of my thread here on O-love, where ‘V-man Orlando’ was one of the biggest hits.

-My Deviant Art page where the ‘Captain of the Flying Dutchman’ was the most favored drawing of my entire collection.

-There is recognition on my Star-Portraits page where a ‘Will AWE’ painting got 9600(!) hits –amazing, even though I think it isn’t my best.-, another ‘Will DMC’ painting was portrait of the day on August 10, 2006.

-And the most popular drawing on the internet I ever made was the Viggo/Orlando hug.

I could all post those here and be up to 25 already! Let alone all the other actors I did and my commissions of Orlando and of “real” people.

So I thought hard about which ones and brought them down to a few highlights –mostly Orlando because he is my muse- and
various mediums to show diversity of what I have done so far. I hope you enjoy them.

1. He’s a Pirate.

It was summer of 2003, I picked up my pencils again. I have been drawing on and off my entire life but LOTR inspired me so much, I needed to do something with it. I had tried some Leggy’s and elves in 2002, but I really got started when I saw ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ and THAT hat. I HAD to draw it. I think it’s still one of my best.
The phrase “Big gay hat –as I sub named it- has led a life of it’s own since *gg*

2. Legolas Greenleaf.

The credits of ROTK are so beautiful and Legolas is the ultimate inspiration for me. I admire Alan Lee and John Howe greatly.
This is one of my favorite Leggy’s, though it doesn’t hold a candle to that gorgeous black and white picture.
I’m still trying to draw the ultimate Legolas. He’s just too perfect.

3. The hands.

These hands brought me and Neldorwen closer. I had done a hand/arms drawing for a friend and posted it in my thread here at O-love.
Nel saw it and challenged me to do Orlando’s hands. So we exchanged pictures and after long hours of adding shades and outlining veins, the hands were forged and along with it our bond of friendship. The hands also feature on my visiting card. (made by Nel)
Interesting detail: The picture from which I drew them, was actually mirrored *g*

4. ‘Heaven’ as I call it.

This might very well be my favorite drawing. First, because it came out good and second, because that drawing and I have been through a lot!
It was difficult to draw because of the angle of his head, but I was determined to finish it because I was totally in love with that picture of him looking up. And it was meant to come with me to the KOH premiere in London in 2005 which was uncertain for a while whether I could go and whether Orlando would attend. After final confirmation, I brushed up the drawing a little bit more and off we went.

Nearly 11 hours of protecting it from smudging, crushing and folding (and guarding it with my life sort of), in the maddening crowd,
Orlando was before me and I managed to reach it out above heads and arms into his direction, catching his eye and his smile not sure where it would lead.
I will never forget that moment when I pulled it back and saw he actually had signed it.

5. Passion.

During that same year (KOH fever) I did a series of Balian’s back and the koh love scene called the ‘Passion series’ *g* I had found a new kind
of lovely pencils, water soluble and experimented a lot with them. Out of that series comes this one.
The only one I actually dared to include in Orlando’s folder. And a drawing I really like because of ....erm.. the way I was able to depict
a scene and bring those feelings across. (honestly!! *ggg*)

6. Captain Turner.

In 2006 I worked very hard and did a lot of drawings and paintings. More experimenting with water color paint this time and bigger sizes.
This is actually one of my favorite watercolor paintings, made during the DMC madness

7. Sidi.

What can I say about this one that most of you do not know already.
It was the summer of 2007, and Orlando was on stage in Londonand I was going there. A lot.
Having done a big banner the year before at DMC premiere which Orlando loved, and having already given another stack of drawings,
I had a hard time figuring out what to do next and give to him that would be special. I had given him binders with copies so far and kept the originals. This time I was going to make him one and actually give it to him if I had the chance.

So I tried my hands on the dog. *gg* I was actually amazed that it came out this good as I never drew animals before.
I remember my mom saying when I finished it: “He’s going to love that so much.” And she was right.

Giving Orlando this drawing triggered a series of events I will not bore you with here again, but it was one of the best things
happening to me ever. That amazing look in his eyes when he told me he loved it so much is still so very clear and vivid in my mind.
I will treasure that moment forever!

8. Just Orlando.

I’ve done a lot of Orlando portraits and this is one of the more recent ones.
I like to think that it also shows how much I have developed myself over the past years and how I sometimes actually can capture that specific Orlando look. In this one: the killer smile and the twinkle in his eyes.

9. Balian, defender of Jerusalem.

Time to expand to bigger sheets.. A 50 x 70 cm drawing I made of one of my favorite and most inspiring characters
(you would not guess eh?): Balian.
And I made it just for me.

9A. Young Master Turner.

Nel is going to kill me if I do not include her Birthday present of 2008 in here too:another big one
(the other frequently drawn character):Will!

10. And there is more..

Besides drawing Orlando, I have been doing quite a few commissions the past two years, for people who asked me. Mostly portraits of children. This is one of my latest.
It is special because it features my sister’s adopted son who came to us from Thailand in November 2007 and has since stolen all our hearts.
He is already turning into a Pirates and a Lotr fan and I cannot wait to show him all the movies. He loves Orlando: especially my action figures of Legolas and Will the pirate. Now who’s fault is that eh
I made this for my sister when we celebrated his one year in his new home anniversary

Thanks to everyone who has supported me through the past years here and elswhere!

Last edited by Andnolewen; March 9th, 2009 at 12:17 PM.