Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > The Three Musketeers

Old September 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
Frecklescounter

The Three Musketeers, Film reviews

Post critics and your own reviews here.

Andnolewen

I made it to the first screening in my hometown cinema with one of my free tickets.
I have writen a review here: http://lukeevanstalk.livejournal.com/4680.html

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen

Last edited by Andnolewen; September 8th, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
Smitten

thanks

Old September 1st, 2011, 07:34 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks Choco !

Lucky you ! I liked your review and Orlando said it's have to be trilogy or juste one lol
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM
Utterly Obsessed

Congrats, choco and thanks for the review!

I have to say that I'm a die hard fan of the book and the characters. I've seen pretty much every version of TTM made in different countries. The last one I saw was really weird, LOL.

As I said before Hollywood never was able get the book and the characters right and I'm not surprised that it wouldn't be this time either. Plus, they honestly said that it wouldn't be true to the book. So, I have no expectations for this movie other than a good pop-corn entertainment flick. I love good action and I hope they handled it well. I'm going to see it in a theatre without any doubt. I have at least 3 things that are attracting me to see it:

1. The main is: it's Orlando's new work that he obviously enjoyed doing.
2. My hope for the good swordfighting scenes.
3. I can add 1 more version of TTM filmakers' fanfiction to my "collection."

I hope this movie will do well in a Box Office.
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM
Frecklescounter

From what I know it was planned as a trilogy from the start. If the first is a success we can be sure there will be at least a second one. And the Duke is defo on board. Pun intended.

Last scene:
Spoiler

If anyone is intrested we can open a spoiler thread for questions.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen

Last edited by chocolover; September 1st, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolover View Post

If anyone is intrested we can open a spoiler thread for questions.
Thanks Choco for your review and your suggestion, but we are not going to open a thread for discussing spoilers.

If anyone wants to share their thoughts about the movie or Orlando's acting, please do so without spoiling too much of the story for the ones who still have to wait until October.
Always use spoiler tags if you post here and/or discuss via pm.

Thanks girls
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Smitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andnolewen View Post
Thanks Choco for your review and your suggestion, but we are not going to open a thread for discussing spoilers.

If anyone wants to share their thoughts about the movie or Orlando's acting, please do so without spoiling too much of the story for the ones who still have to wait until October.
Always use spoiler tags if you post here and/or discuss via pm.

Thanks girls
Ohh, that´s a pity. But thank you for your review, Choco.
I´m probably going to see the movie next week.

Last edited by NoAngel; September 4th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Passionately Enthralled

wooo you are a lucky girl! with one of your free tickets! I am happy for you! you can see the movie three or four times! I would do it! Can't wait to watch here! I must wait for the whole month!
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks for your review, choco!

My boyfriend wanted to invite me to see this last Saturday but I refused. I'd rather wait for more reviews before I'll give it a try.

Funny thing: In my current TV-magazine, there's a very, very short review about it. It's definitely not dealt with as the big summer block-buster. And what really annoyed me a bit: Neither in the synopsis nor in the cast-list, there is any mention of Orlando. Some people seem to have forgotten about him at all...
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Adoring

I saw the film yesterday evening with my daughters.
It was a great fun and Orlando is fantastic as bad boy (man).
Sexy as hell!
The reviews in Austria are good and very good!

Entertaining pure!

Gerli

Sig by my daughter!
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:22 AM
taurelasse

And the sorrow sinks in...
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Adoring

Why sorrow?

Sig by my daughter!
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I saw 3M with my daughter and hubby on the weekend and we loved it. Orlando is great and you can see that he had a lot of playing the bad guy

And mostly all reviews I´ve read are good and they all praise Orlando´s performance.

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:46 PM
In Love

I saw the 3M on saturday and liked it very much. Bad thing was, that there were a few kids behind us talking all the time ... some people don´t deserve watching movies.
The 3D effects seemed a bit blurry sometimes, but the actors were all great and did a good job. I didn´t like Millas part ... but thats just me.
The end is screaming for a sequel ...
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
THE THREE MUSKETEERS is No. 1 in Germany

MUNICH, Germany, September 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

- EUR 2,4 million Box office on first weekend

- Also Number 1 on the Austrian movie charts

This weekend THE THREE MUSKETEERS claimed the top spot at the German box office. The new adventure movie in 3D produced by Constantin Film was released in Germany and Austria last Thursday.

On the first weekend THE THREE MUSKETEERS grossed approximately €2,4 million taking the lead on the German box office charts. In Austria the movie grossed approximately €350.000 and was the clear winner not only at the box office but also in audience numbers.

This big-screen action adventure remake of THE THREE MUSKETEERS - based on Alexandre Dumas' classic novel - was conceived and shot in state-of-the-art 3D. Athos, Porthos and Aramis - three elite warriors who serve the King of France as his best Musketeers - discover an evil conspiracy to overthrow the King. They meet the young, aspiring hero - D'Artagnan - and take him under their wing. Together, the four embark on a dangerous mission to foil the plot that not only threatens the Crown, but the future of Europe itself.

THE THREE MUSKETEERS stars Logan Lerman, Milla Jovovich, Matthew Macfadyen, Ray Stevenson, Luke Evans, Mads Mikkelsen, Gabriella Wilde, James Corden, Juno Temple, Freddie Fox with Orlando Bloom and Christoph Waltz.
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=331747
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks May !

It's good on the box office side. I still wonder why the movie didn't come out in labor wee-end. There was nothing big....
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM
taurelasse

Sorrow for feeling left out and having to wait 6 1/2 more weeks.
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

The Three Musketeers earned the most last weekend because ticket fees for 3D movies are a lot higher here in Germany then for a 'normal' movie - it doesn't have the most number of admissions/viewers:

hollywoodreporter.com
Quote:
COLOGNE, Germany -- Paul W.S. Anderson's The Three Musketeers reboot got a solid, if less than spectacular, start to its world release with a number one bow in Germany this weekend. The period auctioneer - starring Logan Lerman, Matthew Macfadyen, Orlando Bloom and Mila Jovovich -- earned $3.3 million (€2.3 million) in its first weekend, enough to take top spot in the territory ahead of local comedy What a Man.

But the German rom-com -- directed, co-written and starring newly-crowned German box office superstar Matthias Schweighöfer -- still beat out Musketeers in terms of admissions. What a Man sold 250,000 tickets this past weekend compared with 235,000 more pricey 3D tickets for Three Musketeers. It was a soft box office weekend overall, as blazing sunshine had German audiences rushing away from cinemas towards parks and beer gardens. Constantin Film, which produced Three Musketeers and is distributing it in Germany, will be praying for rain in the coming weeks
~ Naz ~

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Utterly Obsessed

Thanks for the info, naz!

I've talked with the several people on the Internert and people on Twitter who saw the movie and everyone said it was a fun entertainment and that Orlando was great as the Duke. Someone on Twitter said that it's "finally a movie that is worth seeing in 3D," LOL. Another one said that in time you could see OB "very close so it looks like you can touch him." And that the sets are spectacular.

But it is showing not only in 3D, is it not? And are the tickets expensive in Germany?

C'mon, Germany, go see it! The sequel would be made only if the 1st would do good in Box Office.
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Frecklescounter

I think in bigger towns you can see it in 2D also but it will be mostly shown in 3D.
The ticket price depends on the time you are watching it. The first screening of the day is usually cheaper than the evening one. Also there's the cinema Tuesday were you can watch movies for a less price.
If I didn't had my free ticket I had to pay 9€ = about 13$ for my ticket. Which was for a first screening of the day. We were about 15 to 20 viewers.

We had very sunny summer weather and also there are school holidays in some parts of Germany. And then there are people who wait for the first critics before they watch a movie.

And if they do a sequel will be more depend on an international box office success and not only on a German one.

The sets are indeed spectacular as are the action scenes.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLeaf View Post
Another one said that in time you could see OB "very close so it looks like you can touch him."
I guess, that's it now. I will just try to convince my bf to stay at home/at a pub and watch soccer while I go to see this movie alone. Better safe than sorry, huh?
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Passionately Enthralled

For Australians only:
Quote:
Win a double pass to The Three Musketeers 3D Hoyts Distribution

First Prize: One of 15 double passes to see The Three Musketeers 3D, valued at $36 each.

Win a double pass (valued at $36 each) to THE THREE MUSKETEERS 3D starring Milla Jovovich and Orlando Bloom!

THE THREE MUSKETEERS 3D - The hot-headed young D'Artagnan joins forces with the veteran Musketeers to prevent the villainous Cardinal Richelieu from seizing the French throne and engulfing Europe in war. This action-filled reboot of Alexandre Dumas' classic 17th century adventure is given a state of the art update in 3D.

Only in cinemas October 20.

Classification: TBC

Comp closes midnight 30/09/2011
Total prize pool $540
http://www.win-free-stuff.com.au/win...-musketeers-3d
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Frecklescounter

Another review from christophwaltzfans.com.
Link via Twitter.

Quote:
Orlando Bloom surely orientated his character on Johnny Depp’s performance in “Pirates of the Caribbean”. His bad guy is entertaining rather than just being plain evil. You can tell he had a lot of fun shooting the movie.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old September 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Passionately Enthralled

the movie is about entertaining... so what's wrong I haven't seen the movie yet but Orlando has enough personality as not to be jack sparrow in the skin of a duke!!! he has his own sense of humour!!!
Old September 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Nothing is wrong, Helen. That quote is a compliment, IMO.
It means that the Duke is enjoyable to watch, even if you are rooting for the good guys.
I can't wait to see this movie!