Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly > The real Ned Kelly related links and stuff

Old February 7th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

'Ned's Nemesis, Ned Kelly & Redmond Barry in a clash of cultures' by Graham Fricke

Hubby surprised me at Christmas with the present of a Ned Kelly book that I didn't even know existed (I know, hard to imagine!), Graham Fricke's 'Ned's Nemesis, Ned Kelly & Redmond Barry in a clash of cultures'. (ISBN 1 74097 091 8, first published 2007)

At 158 pages it doesn't take long to read, but I found it most interesting. Fricke sets out to compare the lives of Ned Kelly and Redmond Barry, who were both Irish but whose lives couldn't have been further apart.

Here's the blurb from the back of the book:

Quote:
Ned Kelly, as we all know, was no angel. But how much better was his nemesis, Sir Redmond Barry, who sentenced Ned to death and who succumbed to Kelly's courtroom curse by dying within two weeks of the bushranger's execution?

Imperious, sanctimonious, hypocritical and autocratic, Barry sprang from the same Irish soil as Kelly's ancestors. Though the pair shared qualities such as arrogance and brilliant planning capacities, they had vastly different social backgrounds and values. Barry was a member of the Anglo-Irish Ascendancy, a lofty, patrician group who abhorred Irish Catholics.

The transplantation of the cultural clash to early Australia, personified by these antagonists, is one theme of Graham Fricke's new book. Interwoven with that theme is a discussion of the legal issues generated by the murder trial, particularly that of self-defence. The author brings to this analysis his experience as a trial judge, giving Ned's Nemesis the unusual feature of examining the trial from the perspective of the judge, as well as from that of the accused man.
(Bolding mine)

I actually found it really fascinating finding out more about Sir Redmond Barry, what kind of man he was and how he lived his life. Refreshing to come across a Kelly book that actually isn't just rehashing over old stuff!

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM
PinkyK27

That sounds so interesting Gemini! Thanks for the information!
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
In love with my Romeo...

Thanks for posting this, Gen!
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Gone bush!

That does sound fascinating Gem-thanks for that
Great to have a different perspective!
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
besotted with buttons

Good to find something new Gem! Well done to hubby. Sounds like an interesting read- will have to browse it when I am there!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction