Go Back   Orlando Love > Middle-earth and Beyond > The Man Bar > Johnny Depp

Old June 27th, 2006, 02:42 AM
OrlandosRiverRat

Most Memorable Characters

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_9108.html

Quote:
The Most Memorable Characters of Johnny Depp

With "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" coming to theaters soon, Johnny Depp will once again be playing Captain Jack Sparrow, the quirky but lovable misfit pirate from the original "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie that became a pop culture favorite overnight. Jack Sparrow is the latest of Depp's memorable character roles but certainly not the first. Over the course of his career, starting with a young officer named Tom Hanson on the coolest young teen drama in the late 80s called "21 Jump Street," Depp has made such a habit of choosing exceptional roles that his every movie is watched with great suspense to see what his next outlandish and creative performance will be.

Only an actor with Depp's talent could pull off such eccentric extremes as to attract the most innovative minds in the industry. The most consistent person to harness his gift is one of the greatest visionaries working in Hollywood for the last few decades, director Tim Burton. "Edward Scissorhands," "Ed Wood," and "Sleepy Hollow" are three examples of how the combination of Depp and Burton equals cinematic brilliance. The formula of Depp's richly three-dimensional characters meets Burton's beautiful gothic wonderlands is stunning. Their other collaborations include the re-imagining of Gene Wilder's "Willy Wonka" that was "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and the stop-motion animated "Corpse Bride." Burton and Depp bring out the absolute best in each other as a passionately artistic team.

For the last twenty years, Depp has been making quite an impression through any number of characters he has portrayed. "Edwards Scissorhands" was his first big screen character that was larger than life and made moviegoers fall in love with both Edward and Johnny. The bizarre and mythical nature of Edward and the dark fairytale style of the story caused Burton and Depp's first joint effort to become a classic in its own right. It wasn't long before Burton and Depp reunited on "Ed Wood" based on the peculiar life of the man behind what many cult film fans call the worst movie ever made, "Plan 9 From Outer Space." It was an inspired project co-starring Martin Landau, Sarah Jessica Parker, Bill Murray, and Patricia Arquette. These represent just two of the grandest triumphs in Depp's stellar career.

In 1998, Depp formed a relationship with another man of note, this one quite notorious and brilliant in a whole other way from Burton, the late, great, and sorely missed gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson. Terry Gilliam directed Depp as he played Raoul Duke (an alias for Thompson) in "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas," a movie based on the book by Thompson. "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" is just one of the nonfiction books written from Thompson's personal experiences about his generation and America as a social and political machine. Depp's uncanny and outrageous performance in the film was influenced by his time spent with Thompson on set that would form a lifelong friendship between the two.

Of course, Depp has played plenty of other parts that stand out, but not in the unforgettably vivid color as the above. Among the rest of his striking feats are "Benny & Joon," "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," and "From Hell." Due to his limitless acting ability and willingness to take risks, he has become an indelible piece of movie history through a good number of characters and films that have left their mark and have stood the test of time. Depp has been nominated for two Oscars and six Golden Globes, but he has never won either of these prestigious awards.

"Pirates of the Caribbean 2" probably won't earn him a statuette from the Academy (though the first "Pirates" secured him his first nomination), and "Pirates of the Caribbean 3" (currently in production) probably won't either. But, "Pirates" grossed a whopping $653 million worldwide, almost half of that in domestic theaters. So this summer and next, audiences will be able to enjoy the captain who made pirates cool again by walking around imitating Keith Richards in the most entertaining way with a cunning attitude that it's impossible not to love. Also on Depp's upcoming roster and in pre-production idle is "The Rum Diary," which is based upon the fictional novel by Hunter S. Thompson. Meanwhile, the Han Solo of pirate films, Jack Sparrow sails again into theaters packed with his fans on July 7th.
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Aranel-calen

Awww my mate just got me What's eating Gilbert Grape for my 18th birthday and I found it a little boring but when he started crying after his fight with Arnie I was just like awwwwww, so wanted to give him a hug. And the end was just aww, loved it haha.

But after Edward Scissorhands he is always going to be one of my favourite actors it's just a bonus he is good looking too
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:39 AM
loreley

I watched "Arizona Dream" 3 days ago and I can't forget it...
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:09 AM
mandy

I love, Love. LOVE him in "Benny and Joon". The diner scene is one of my favorite scenes EVER in a movie. [quote]http://www.elflady.com/orlandolove/images/smilies/smitten.gif[/img]
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Been there, done that

Oh, I have never seen Benny and Joon!! But I LOVED him in Edward...it's just such an awesome movie!! Love it since the very first time I've seen it...when I was a child :) No need to mention Captain Jack, right? Oh and he was absolutely irresistible in Don Juan de Marco!! I will always think he's the best actor of all times... !
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
besotted with buttons

From Hell is just incredible, a little scary for sure, and not my usual fare but really, he is just fantastic as Inspector Abberline- that mix of incredibly wise and appreciative of women and vulnerable too. Just fabulous.
Roux..is hard to move on from, really...mmm
I thought he was stunning in The Libertine- not everyones cup of tea and I think unfairly ignored, but Johnny absolutely nails it, even with David Coverdale hair.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

I agree. I think The Libertine is his best performance, Just spellbinding and strong. I love Roux too. And David Coverdale... thats a blast from the past, wasn't he in Whitesnake or some band like that? I must watch From Hell again sometime soon. it's years since I saw it. I think I've only got it on video and not DVD.

sig by Nenya Thanks so much....
Leaf-You are everything to me

Last edited by Corrinna; June 6th, 2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:26 PM
besotted with buttons

heeheh yes I am afraid so Corrina, Whitesnake I was talking with an American friend about The Libertine, and I think we came to the conclusion that (aside from the fact she thought it needed a good edit) you had to be British, or at least European to get the film really, not that those who are not aren't educated and aware of history and all, but the sort of cultural heritage and FEELING of the film. What it meant for a man like that. I loved it.

Fred Abberline- maybe I have a thing for men with excessive facial hair, but he is just gorgeous. Ok so the plot is fantastic too, though the final confrontation with 'the devil' I thought OTT, but on the whole, the interplay with him and the 'unfortunates', the underlying class tensions, his slightly **** van Dyke accent, the tradgedy of it all, floats my boat anyhow.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit View Post
heeheh yes I am afraid so Corrina, Whitesnake I was talking with an American friend about The Libertine, and I think we came to the conclusion that (aside from the fact she thought it needed a good edit) you had to be British, or at least European to get the film really, not that those who are not aren't educated and aware of history and all, but the sort of cultural heritage and FEELING of the film. What it meant for a man like that. I loved it.

Fred Abberline- maybe I have a thing for men with excessive facial hair, but he is just gorgeous. Ok so the plot is fantastic too, though the final confrontation with 'the devil' I thought OTT, but on the whole, the interplay with him and the 'unfortunates', the underlying class tensions, his slightly **** van Dyke accent, the tradgedy of it all, floats my boat anyhow.
I agree with that, it was a very British sort of film indeed. I think it invoked that period of history brilliantly, seemed very real.

I'll let you know about Fred when I've watched it again.

Old June 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

I watched From Hell yesterday. I had forgotton that Robbie Coltrane and Ian Holm were in it also so it was a real treat. Also I had forgotton the the twists and turns of the plot so it marvellous to refresh my memory. I really enjoyed it. Johhny was so lovely in it but I see what you mean about his dodgy cockney accent Nuit.

Now I'm in Depp mode I'm going to rewatch Chocolat and Finding Neverland this weekend. Roux and J.M.Barrie two more marvellous roles.

I expect though that Captain Jack Sparrow is always going to be his most vibrant and memorable incarnation.

Old June 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy View Post
I love, Love. LOVE him in "Benny and Joon". The diner scene is one of my favorite scenes EVER in a movie.
aahhhh! with the dinner rolls and forks?! and when he goes up to Ruthie and quotes the movie to her! "No Cindy! You're sick, you need help! No Cindy! No Cindy! Noooooo!" i love that scene!
i think Sam is my favorite character Johnny has ever played (next to the amazing Capt. Jack, of course). i love Benny & Joon. such a cute movie!
i think his most memorable performance will always be Capt. Jack just because it was the biggest success out of the other movies he's done. hopefully Sweeney Todd will do well too and become just as memorable as Edward Scissorhands and Icabod Crane. :)

Last edited by Aviator; June 19th, 2007 at 09:03 PM.