Go Back   Orlando Love > Middle-earth and Beyond > The Man Bar > Johnny Depp

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Johnny in 1995's "Dead Man"

Okay - has anyone seen the movie "Dead Man"?

I got my hands on a DVD of this and is it one odd movie. Odd... but weirdly good. I was surprised at the number of other A list actors (John Hurt, Robert Mitchum, Lance Henrickson, Crispin Glover, Gabriel Byrne and Iggy Pop amongst them).

It's a western and Johnny's character, William Blake, is a misplaced accountant from Cleveland who has arrived in the town of Machine for a job only to find that it was filled the month prior. Through a series of events he is on the run after a murder and ends up traveling through the wilderness with an Indian named Nobody, who believes he's the English poet William Blake and should by all rights be dead.

Weird... definately wierd. I nearly turned it off but was glad that I didn't. Johnny was really good. His character was very much lost in the world and just trying to find his place. He's deeply effected by what's going on around him

If anyone else has seen it, I'd love to hear what you thought of it. I think I need to watch it again...
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Artanis

Hmm. Never seen that. I'll definitely check it out next time I find that somewhere.
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Alive...and kicking

Girl,if you think Dead Man is a weird movie,you´d have to see "fear and loathing in Las Vegas"...That is a weird,odd,strange,transgresive movie,but Johnny is great in it,and the rest of the cast is impresive,too.Now I remember,Benicio del Toro,Tobey Mcguire,Cristina Ricci,Cameron Diaz...and if you´re not afraid enough of drugs,you´ll be terrified at the end of that movie...

Last edited by erendira; June 19th, 2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
White Masque

I rented Dead Man a few years ago and watched it with my mom. That was one strange movie...but surprisingly good! I'll need to find and watch it again. From what I remember it was sort of touching with William Blake's tale.

As for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I got about 3/4 of the way through then had to stop. It was starting to mess me up. I got to where there was a fire on the matress with a big hole there too.... I should try to watch that again, as well, though.

But have any of you seen The Man Who Cried with Johnny, Cate Blachett, and Christina Ricci. None of it seemed to make sense and none of it had really any point! It mainly followed Ricci's character as she lives in Europe and is friends with Blanchett. She meets gypsies, Johnny being one of them, and gets involved with them. Then the entire movie spirals downward....
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Been there, done that

I didn't really like that movie. It was weird and too slow for me. The only thing that made me to finish watching it was Johnny's performance - great as always.
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Artanis- In my mind it's worth checking out if you can find it. I kept hearing how brilliant it was so I went searching for it on Amazon and found a copy relatively cheap. Hope you get the chance to see it. Its the kind of film that you see late nights on cable because it's so odd they don't think anyone would watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erendira View Post
Girl,if you think Dead Man is a weird movie,you´d have to see "fear and loathing in Las Vegas"...That is a weird,odd,strange,transgresive movie,but Johnny is great in it,and the rest of the cast is impresive,too.
Erendira - I've heard about that one but haven't picked it up yet. It sounds like a real trip. Sounds similiar to the Doors - by the end you feel like you've gotten high along with him. Thanks for the info. Will have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Masque View Post
I rented Dead Man a few years ago and watched it with my mom. That was one strange movie...but surprisingly good! I'll need to find and watch it again. From what I remember it was sort of touching with William Blake's tale.

As for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I got about 3/4 of the way through then had to stop. It was starting to mess me up.

But have any of you seen The Man Who Cried...
White Masque - I agree with you - the story of William Blake really touched me. I could almost see it really happening to someone back in those days. Kind of reminded me of Jeremiah Johnson - one event turning his life into this unbelieveable journey. I'll have to remember that about Fear and Loathing too should I decide to pick it up. I'd heard that it was very trippy and think that's why I've steered clear of it in the past but may give it a shot now. While I was searching Amazon I was considering getting The Man Who Cried too - sounded very intriguing. I'll have to check that one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
I didn't really like that movie. It was weird and too slow for me. The only thing that made me to finish watching it was Johnny's performance - great as always.
Nika - I do know what you mean. The first 15 minutes on that train with him looking out the window, then at the passengers, window, sleep, window, passengers, window then Crispin Glover who was just... weird. But had to keep watching it because I was intrigued.

I think the thing that really got me in the story was the relationship between William (Johnny) and the indian Nobody - there was such a pure and simple view in Nobody's mind about who William was. Always asking him if he had tabacco and William replying "No - I don't smoke." Or the line from Nobody, Strange you don't know any of your poems William Blake.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Alive...and kicking

Bell Ive seen The man who cried,but dispite hes the one who cries,Johnny is not in the leading role,the protagonist are Critina Ricci and Cate Blanchet(shes wonderful).Anyways Johnny does a very good job,and hes sexy to the death...(amazing gipsy guy,riding a horse across Paris lanes...)

Old June 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Cool - Thanks for the update on that Erendira.
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

]'ve not seen Dead Man yet, one to watch out for. But I have waytched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and its one of the wierdest films I've ever seen. Johhny as usual was good at playing a strange part.

sig by Nenya Thanks so much....
Leaf-You are everything to me
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
besotted with buttons

hhaah yes amen to that. He has done the most spectacular, and weird, films

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Passionately Enthralled

LOL! I have to agree Corinna and nuit - he does get the weird one's doesn't he? But then, I could say that about a few of Viggo Mortensen's earlier films too (ie - Reflecting Skin and Passion of Darkly Noon)