Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Elizabethtown

Old September 9th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Elven Queen in Training

Small snippet in my local paper today said that "Elizabethtown" was one of the best movies to show up at the festival.
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Human News Ticker

Do you know if they meant best as in quality wise or as one of the most anticipated of the festival?
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Crazy in Love

I can feel it... I can feel it coming... ORLANDO OVERLOAD this weekend!!! Cannot wait!
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
On a Yellow Slide

*starts humming Phil Collins*

Yesssssss! And we wants it, preciousssssss!

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Balian's Lover

my computer is goign to crash after this weekend i think its already begining to lol! it started to restart itself, and now it takes forever to load LOL!

and i think i'm going to be gone after this weekend!
Old September 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
arwen_undomiel

Orlando will arive soon to Toronto..;]
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:38 PM
SueJo2

Pics up at TIFF

Pictures are already up for the TIFF (not ETown yet). So I guess it won't be long before we see our man!

Suejo
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Crazy in Love

from Post Gazette here.

Quote:
TORONTO -- The teenage girls were camped out on the sun-toasted sidewalk with the essentials: Skittles, snacks, juice boxes and posters proclaiming, "Orlando we love you!"

Erin Levy, a 14-year-old from Toronto with long blond hair and braces, had a strategy all her own. Her signs, on construction paper, declared, "It's my birthday. Give me a hug." Truth be told, it really wasn't her birthday but she acknowledged, "I just say it because it works all the time."

The girls -- and they were all girls -- had staked a claim at the intersection of John Street and Richmond Street West after hearing that the "Elizabethtown" heartthrob would be in the neighborhood for an afternoon event during the 30th Toronto International Film Festival. They had been there since 11 a.m. and had a five- or six-hour wait and no guarantee they would see their dreamboat, but they were happily passing the time by doing things such as assembling a list titled "Top 10 Most Beautiful Guys," which included Orlando Bloom, of course. As Erin said, "If you're not hyper, then things just aren't worth it. I love Orlando Bloom!"

So does Cassie Pyatt, a 16-year-old from Keswick, Ontario, whose mother had dropped her and some friends off. She had carefully cut out and glued pictures of Bloom to an orange-colored poster board which carried her declaration of love. Her favorite Bloom movie is "Pirates of the Caribbean," and she particularly likes the scenes where Bloom's shirt becomes soaked with water.

The gaggle of girls was nothing compared to the crowd that would greet Bloom, his "Elizabethtown" co-stars and director Cameron Crowe Saturday night at Roy Thomson Hall. The film was getting the gala treatment, which meant a closed street, metal barriers to block fans (a dozen deep in spots) and red carpet with the requisite photographers and interviewers, mainly from TV entertainment programs.

The roar of the crowd started when Liza Minnelli, resplendent in a flowing red top over black pants, arrived, followed by the likes of "Crash" director-writer Paul Haggis along with "Elizabethtown" cast members Susan Sarandon, Kirsten Dunst, Judy Greer, Bloom -- at which point the noise made normal conversation impossible -- and Crowe.

Five years earlier, Crowe had been in Toronto with "Almost Famous," and now he was back with the North American premiere of a movie that is a funny, sad and sweet tribute to his late father and to the power of humor, hope and, always, the right road music. The movie ended at 12:20 a.m. Sunday with a standing ovation for Crowe.
and this also a mention from Zap2it here, which I think is funny.

Quote:
Orlando Bloom - One day after the North American premiere of his Cameron Crowe film "Elizabethtown," this British heartthrob -- wearing a tan polo shirt and jeans -- charmed a journalist (alas, a male journalist) by winking at him at the Four Seasons Hotel before jaunting off to speak to his "Pirates of the Caribbean" co-star Johnny Depp -- who was also at the festival for his stop-motion animated film "The Corpse Bride."

Last edited by ambayuun; September 12th, 2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Human News Ticker

The Gate
Quote:
Toronto's Fest Reaches World's Best

There is something truly fickle about fame and celebrity, especially in this era of wildly out of control celebrity worship. And don't get me wrong, I am as much a participant in this as anyone (I'll admit right here and now that I did indeed buy a copy of the new Vogue for Men when it premiered last week).

I noticed something interesting over the last few days about a couple of the soaring white hot "it" people of the moment who are both here at the Toronto International Film Festival with films, good films at that. Orlando Bloom, here with the wonderful Cameron Crowe film Elizabethtown [Red Carpet Gallery], has been stalked and followed and chased like he was some rare and exotic form of jaguar semi-loose on the city. The press conference for Elizabethtown was packed and he was mobbed at the red carpet walk before the Gala. And this is all very understandable, he is a good looking dude, charming and charismatic as hell, he has several of the highest of the high profiled movies of the last few years under his belt.

Then there is the case of Kiera Knightley, the gorgeous young coltish beauty who has also starred in a number of high profiled films - including Pirates of the Caribbean parts one through probably infinity opposite the aforementioned Orlando Bloom, and Miss Knightley is here with her film Pride and Prejudice which, while a bit on the slow and talky side (How could it not be, being based on Jane Austen?), is actually quite solid and entertaining and Kiera Knightley is really good in it. But even though she has also been a magazine cover-girl of late, her press conference was sparsely attended and her red carpet walk-down was described by one local TV person as "a subdued affair". What does it all mean -- is the temperature of the pop culture fever so up and down that a stars popularity is now measured on a minute by minute basis?

Bottom line here is both of these young actors are here proudly displaying movies that they have every right to be proud of.
Variety

Quote:
Mehta's opening-night pic "Water" elicited positive critical and industry reaction, and screenings of Venice winner "Brokeback Mountain," "Capote," "Elizabethtown," "Thank You for Smoking" and "A History of Violence" have all been greeted warmly.
USA Today

Quote:
St. Paul, MN: I love your chats. Have you seen Elizabethtown? Is it a chick flick or will guys like it due to the storyline? I would like to see it and I am a guy. Also, why are people still obessed with exorcism movies? Wasn't 10 enough?(it seems like it anyways). Thank you!!

Scott Bowles: The buzz is excellent on this film about an unlikely romance that blooms during a man's funeral preparations for his father. The movie received a standing ovation at the Toronto Film Festival, and awards talk is heavy for star Kirsten Dunst. While it leans toward chicks, the movie is directed by Cameron Crowe, who knows how to keep the guys interested.
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Lakita

Thanks for posting those much more positive reports! Really sounds like the public audience liked the film far more than the critics. And they are the ones that truly count. Honestly, I think the film will do fine, especially because these days it's very much an international box office, not just American (I wish this would sink into the U.S. media though - they seem to think only the American audience counts, which is ridiculous).
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Human News Ticker

Mercury News

Quote:
One of the most anticipated movies here, Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown, is a sprawling comedy-drama about a young man returning to his Kentucky hometown to attend his father's funeral and reconnecting with his extended family.

This warm, long, hugely ambitious movie is about nothing less than the meaning of life, but locals were just as excited about catching a glimpse of its stars, Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst.
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Crazy in Love

from Daily Snack here.

Quote:
Bloom’s ego has landed

HUNKY Orlando Bloom salutes his own movie Elizabethtown at the Toronto International Film Festival.

The 28-year-old is so proud of the romantic comedy, which also stars Kirsten Dunst, 23, he couldn’t resist telling film critics the film’s a triumph.

A witness said: "Orlando warned journalists they’ll look daft if they give it a bad review."

Egos are ugly things, but dishy Orlando manages to make them look beautiful...
DO you really think he said that?
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:07 PM
British Boy Lovin' Goon

If he really said that, I'd be so biased to say it's not a bad thing. He gets such a beating from critics completely undeservedly. He deserves to be proud of what he's done.
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchick
If he really said that, I'd be so biased to say it's not a bad thing. He gets such a beating from critics completely undeservedly. He deserves to be proud of what he's done.
Amen!
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Lysistrata

He did not say that and if he did then it was most likely not directed at the journallists and was probably part of some larger statement he made. You know how the media likes to twist stuff. I love that they always have the mysterious "witness" that heard or saw something. Has anyone else noticed that, when the media reports this stuff it's always a witness said this or a witness heard that. . . YEAH OKAY MEDIA PEOPLE!!!!

Last edited by Lysistrata; September 14th, 2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Well, I think there's going to be a lot of media people who are going to look "daft" (whether or not Orlando said so) !! Elizabethtown will be successful in the theaters, which is all that counts.
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Ancalime

I know I'm gonna love this movie, and the theatre people are gonna make a lot of money off of me. It doesn't bother me a bit if Orlando said that. I think he's right.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Lakita

Look at the source. "Daily Snack". Uh, yeah. And those of us who have seen countless interviews know that is not Orlando-like. Although, with all the negativity of the critics, I certainly wouldn't blame him one bit. But it just doesn't sound like him at all. He seems to make a point of staying grounded and not letting his ego get big.
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Human News Ticker

Lexington Herald-Leader

Quote:
The celebs creating the most buzz are Owensboro native Johnny Depp and Elizabethtown star Orlando Bloom. At a weekend news conference, Bloom talked about a woman at a gas station trying to save his soul during a road trip around the Kentucky countryside. Speaking of the Kentucky countryside, I have one day left before I come home.
Orlando Sentinel
Quote:
TORONTO -- The elevators of Toronto's chic Four Seasons Hotel are infamous among journalists for their speed. Or lack of it.

Sure, the rooms are pricey, and everybody who's anybody stays here. (Note to editor: Not me, no ma'am.) But when the movie stars and the moviemakers converge on this city, the last thing the movie journalists want is to be trapped waiting on the 28th floor of the Four Seasons, dashing from Jake Gyllenhaal to Viggo Mortensen across the street at the Park Hyatt.

The autograph seekers at the Toronto Film Festival gather here. They stand politely behind barricades because they know that Cuba Gooding Jr. of the new film Shadowboxer is in the Four Seasons lobby, that Kirsten Dunst and Claire Danes and Jason Schwartzman and too many stars to name are jammed inside. And the beautiful people all have to pass the crowds to get to their limos.

Whom are they here to see?

"Orlando," they answer, one and all.

Not the city, friends, and not the guy who did those 7-Up commercials (Orlando Jones). They're waiting for Legolas, the Lord of the Rings dreamboat, Johnny Depp's Pirates of the Caribbean sparring partner. Orlando Bloom's first American romantic comedy lead, in Elizabethtown, has all of young movie culture abuzz. Bloom and Dunst, are getting the full Cameron Crowe-Jerry Maguire treatment. It's delightful and long, and director Crowe has "eight days, well, OK, seven days, to cut it," Crowe says, before it goes into the pipeline for an October release. Crowe does his interview sitting on his knees, relaxed on the sofa, talking music. No wonder critics and actors adore him.
<snip>

The festival is half over, and no real theme is emerging from the fall and early-holiday films of 2005. But at least there's substance here, weighty subjects, gravitas, and great acting. If Orlando Bloom can manage a perfectly American accent, if Cameron Diaz can hold her own with Shirley MacLaine and the radiant Ms. Collette, this fall really is worth the trip -- and the very slow elevator rides.
Toledo Blade

Quote:
Love grows where Orlando Bloom goes, and he goes from his hotel to the premiere of his movie, Cameron Crowe’s Elizabethtown, and the shrieking, the sound of a thousand tea kettles going off at once, goes with him.

It was almost the exact same scene last year, also with Bloom, who is fair and slight and looks embarrassed when the noise erupts again and again. At the end of the hotel driveway, a girl who can’t be older than 15 stands on a concrete wall with a large professional camera, with a huge barrel of a lens; she is in sweat pants with “Juicy” on the leg, and when I walk by three hours later, she is still standing there, holding her own with the professionals, never removing her eyes from the Four Seasons’ revolving doors.

You wonder if people like her are there for the movies, or if just seeing a star is more interesting. If so, that’s too bad. The Toronto festival has become the most important in the world, no question.

Last edited by Interconnector; September 14th, 2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I've been living the last couple of weeks on pins and needles trying to figure out how to make it to Chicago in time to see the film and now...

I need everyone cross thier fingers!

I just found out that the offsite meeting that was scheduled for my department on Oct 6/7 has been cancelled. I'm now just waiting for my boss to give me the okay to do a half day that Thursday so I can jump on the train and get to Chicago for the opening night. I'd then take the first train back Friday morning and work that day. I'm pretty sure she'll be okay with it as two of my team members who were going to have to go down to run the PC programs etc won't be needed on the conference call they are setting up in its place, which means they can cover the phones for me for the couple of hours I would be gone.

Oooh I SO want this to work out. I would love to meet everyone else whose going and since I've already received my ticket for that night and I really want to be the one to use it.

*bounces in seat in anticipation*
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:13 PM
icywind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaU
I need everyone cross thier fingers!

Oooh I SO want this to work out. I would love to meet everyone else whose going and since I've already received my ticket for that night and I really want to be the one to use it.

*bounces in seat in anticipation*
I'll cross mine for you. :)

You're lucky to have the chance. I live in Milwaukee myself but I have no license so absolutely no hope of going.
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Elven Queen in Training

There's a Chicago International Film Festival? Where the heck have I been?
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Just Another Freak

Okay, I've finally decided to be a total loser and show everyone my tickets!

If anyone is going, PLEASE tell me. I want to meet some of me OL sisters.
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Fanfic Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_erupt
Okay, I've finally decided to be a total loser and show everyone my tickets!

If anyone is going, PLEASE tell me. I want to meet some of me OL sisters.
I'm so excited for you!! And a tiny bit jealous

sig & avatar by the lovely and talented elements

Dean: Come on man, I've been itching for a hunt
Gordon: Sorry. But hey, I hear there's a chupacabra two states over; go ahead and knock yourselves out.
SPN Ep 2x3
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Malene

Am I seeing wrong or are the tickets 25 dollars?
Wow.