Go Back   Orlando Love > Middle-earth and Beyond > The Man Bar

Old June 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM
Smitten

Have these been posted elsewhere already? If so - please don't mind! I'm still new and try to figure things out!
(Maybe this should rather be in the download-section?!)

Sebastian Copeland talks about his new book "Antarctica: The Global Warning" published by Earth Aware Editions

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid878819738

What's going on with global warming? A conversation between "Antarctica" author Sebastian Copeland and artist John Quigley.

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?...nnel=824009808
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
karoletti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejia View Post
Have these been posted elsewhere already? If so - please don't mind! I'm still new and try to figure things out!
(Maybe this should rather be in the download-section?!)

Sebastian Copeland talks about his new book "Antarctica: The Global Warning" published by Earth Aware Editions

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid878819738

What's going on with global warming? A conversation between "Antarctica" author Sebastian Copeland and artist John Quigley.

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?...nnel=824009808
Such beautiful pictures...made me shiver that's how in awe I am. Really impressive, thanks for posting Mejia!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Very cool! Thanks mejia for posting the links.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:44 AM
Bewitched

These are great! Thank for bringing them over, mejia!

Can anyone convert these for download? I'd love to see them without the jerky streaming.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Utterly Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by megha View Post
i think sebastian's got the same features as that of orlando's mum.
Yes, I see a great alikeness between Orlando's mum and him too !

Thank you Nimue for my beautiful siggie and avi !
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:25 AM
at world´s end and beyond

the book´s site has been updated with stunning pictures , wallpapers, a trailer, and beautiful words from Sebastian talking about the experience in Antarctica

http://www.antarcticabook.com/
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Passionate about the Elf

Thanks, Nel... those pictures are beautiful. Shame there's no cousin pics in there, though

Mirk
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:51 AM
arwen_undomiel

He's an amazing photographer.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Smitten

For those who are interested, below are some "promo-dates" for the book, which is going to be released in less than 2 weeks now!

· October 5-7, 2007, Global Green General Assembly Event with Mikhail Gorbachev, New Orleans, LA
· October 24, 2007, United Nations, New York City, press conference with the Undersecretary of the United Nations
· October 24, 2007, United Nations, book signing and cocktail party with photos displayed
· October 25, 2007, Global Green Fundraising Dinner with Sebastian in attendance
· November 3, 2007, Jan Kessler Gallery and Chateau Marmont, Los Angeles, CA – Gallery opening and party
· Early December, 2007, Los Angeles Public Library, Los Angeles, CA - book signing

source = http://catalog.earthawareeditions.com/catalog/
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Smitten

There's going to be an Antarctica Exibition from 27 November to 11 December at the Westin Hotel.

Source = http://www.lo4art.com/us.html
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Frecklescounter

*cough* Many dust and cobwebs around.
Found a nice interview but I'm not sure how religable it is. Bunte is a gossip mag.
http://www.bunte.de/leben/sebastian-..._aid_4431.html

Here they show pics from the book.
http://www.bunte.de/leben/sebastian-..._did_2032.html

Haven't known that he's having a German girlfriend.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Frecklescounter

Me again.
Gem posted a translation of the article above here.

Found another interview about Bast being in Antarctica. I've made a rush translation.
Abendblatt
Quote:
Interview photographer Sebastian Copeland about ice and the world
"This is a mission and I am her soldier"
Earlier he photographed of the stars and earned a lot of money. Then he gave up everything. Now he has made a mistake to the fight against the global warming. What does do Sebastian Copeland to go in Antarctic and to take a photo of ice and of water?

Journal:

How does it feel to travel in Antarctic?

Sebastian Copeland:
It is an adventure. Since my childhood Antarctic exists in my image as a scenery at the back of beyond. Antarctic stayed undiscovered till 1821; the conditions there are hard, particularly in winter. But she also has a huge strength. Only by the fact that the continent is separated by a lot of water and has never seen really people. The only life here are a few scientists who come from time to time for visit. To go there always feels like a fatiguing adventure with which one enters another world, another scenery sees - with nothing comparably that, otherwise, one knows.

Did you feel loneliness?
Quite obviously one does not go in Antarctic to attach social contacts. It is more the unity with the nature and the people who accompany you. Moreover, you travel on the ship, so I had society, 30 people were present.

I am the first time there runtergereist without having the intention making a book from it. I wanted to take a photo, actually, only of the SOS action ¹ of my friend because I found this idea good. The strength of this experience and the pictures made me make a decision: Once again drive, take photos more, a book make. After only one spot one is not able to do this. One is only caught by the beauty of this area. Both times I was there 3½ weeks. Very intensive times.

On the subject Beauty. If I have a look at your pictures, I see only beauty. There nothing is an ugly, nothing destroyed. But, nevertheless, you want to show how the nature endangers is and how much is destroyed. How does this fit?
They are right. But the reality is however, thus that one uses the tools which are available to one to deliver certain news. This is already in the advertisement in such a way. My tools are the photograph., On the one hand, it would not be honest to state, the climate changes would be photographable. You can go all twenty years and see how much has already disappeared, how much the ice is destroyed. Clear. But to take photos now a surface which is not covered any more by ice and to say:" See here, here you can see it: these are the climate changes" would be stupid. I am a lawyer of the nature, and I try to strengthen the consciousness for the climate changes, and I am a photographer. With the photograph I try to celebrate surroundings which are in danger. I try to sensitise the people, try to bring this wonderful world in her gardens, in her world. So that they get to know something what will remain kept most people. I would like to divide this beauty. Antarctic is wonderful. It would be senseless to show them differently. Immediately whether she melts or not. I would like to bring home to the people a world which they want to defend then. But, in addition, it is important to me to bring the nature in the towns. To remind of the fact that it she gives there outdoors.

If you speak of nature, ask I me, why you take a photo only of water and of ice. Why not woods or mountains?
This has two reasons. I like the cold and have such a discoverer gene in myself. But above all: The poles are Ground Zero of the climate change subjects. Because they simply exist largely of ice, temperature changes immediately have effects on this world. The poles are the air-conditioning of the whole world.

They have written in your book that it is not a matter really of saving the world but of saving only for it, the chance that we survive on her. How mine you this?
There is the world since 4.9 milliard years. There will be them milliards from years if there are not us any more. We are first for 150,000 years here. In the geologic time is one Nanosekunde. If we talk to save the world, it is not a matter of saving the world. The world will warm up itself and cool, it will always go on. The world is a wonderful place. The question is level only whether we appreciate them. There are many worlds there outdoors, but ours is our only home. If we lose them, we do not exist any more. If we destroy the resources, the earth will continue - without us. In another form. We must keep an eye on the results of our action more.

Do you think that people change really a little bit that they can change something and want - no matter whether do they understand that her behaviour damages the environment?
Yes, we change and can change something. The question is only: Do we change on time? Will it have enough effect? The fact that we sit here and talk about it is already a sign of this change. Also those that the people have interest in the exhibition or my book is a good sign. Today everybody knows what is a global climate warming. One may know not all consequences, but the term technicus has engraved in the collective memory. All at once the people understand that the destruction of a part of the environment threatens own surroundings, own economy, own life. There is still a lot of work because there are people who profit from it if everything as remains as it is. Indeed, we catch in to understand that there immensely many new possibilities exist. If we rethink, there will be new jobs, new chances. The question is only whether we make it quick enough.

Is this possible?
Everything is possible. However, is it likely? I think we sit in a considerable mix-up. We cannot continue so. To teach the people, to use no plastic bottles or plastic bags, is not easy. In America we use 6000 plastic bags all five seconds. In the year we use so many plastic bags that they would cover - aneinandergelegt - the area of Texas. Our different behaviour patterns must change, on nearly every field.

Why do you do all that? Is it a mission?
It is a mission. Definitively. It is a mission. And I am a soldier. As Al Gore said: It is a moral concern. It is not simply a decision which you make. For many reasons which I can explain not at all absolutely till the last. Except that I maybe look back in my own history and on my education, at my grandfather and his relation to the nature. But the truth is that I have received anyhow my march order. And I had a voice, I understood these things, I had an eye, I had tools. And then I have brought together all this. I am privileged enough that I have the time to do all this. I am here to serve the thing. Everybody has a mission. I have chosen this. Not because she is better than others. It is just means.

¹) People form a SOS sign in the everlasting ice - as a reminder and cry for help.

Sebastian Copeland: "Antarctic", Collection Rolf Heyne, 49.90 euros. Copelands pictures are to be seen in the original still up to the 20th of May in Flo Peter Gallery, Chile house C, pumps 8.
The conversation with Sebastian Copeland led Stephanie Nannen.

appeared on the 10th of May, 2008
Found also a few tiny pics at WireImage of Bast girlfriend Nicole Nagel.
At the SurfAid International Cocktail Party Hosted by Wild Rock Wine Company June 6, 2007 - Jiraffe
Santa Monica, California United States

Antarctica: The Global Warning Exhibition
November 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA United States

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Smitten

If anyone is near Hamburg / Germany, but from the 16th of May - 20th of June at HEYMANN in Hamburg (Eppendorf) they're showing some of Seb's pix.
Not sure if they're the same as in the gallery expo (probably not, cause the expo was still until earlier this week, I guess) but I'm sure they're sweet to check out!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Frecklescounter

Found Nicole at imdb.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
While the “Davids” were sweating bullets on American Idol Wednesday night, the Razz was cool as a cucumber in West Hollywood, at the grand opening of the new one-stop eco-boutique, Visionary.

Magda Rod, designer for Wildchild Wear, has started an eco label of clothing called, Visionary, by Wildchild Wear. Magda feels everyone can be more environmentally and socially conscious without sacrificing quality or style. Well, I can tell you that this reporter, as well as a little girl named Lourdes (whose Momma you may have heard of…) would say, “Word to that, sista!”

We here at the Razz are always fans of a company that puts their money where their mouth is and that’s precisely what Visionary did last night. Not only did the money flow, but it flowed towards green. A portion of the proceeds from the evening’s sales went to Mikhail Gorbachev’s Global Green.

The debonair Global Green board member and photographer, Sebastian Copeland, was also on hand to sign autographed copies of his spectacular book, Antarctica: The Global Warning. Sebastian (who also happens to be Orlando Bloom’s cousin.) said he was there to support the green movement in anyway he can… and if it’s through fashion then so be it! And that’s exactly what I tell my husband…my penchant for fashion supports the planet!
http://www.ecorazzi.com/2008/05/23/t...-eco-boutique/

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Frecklescounter

Thanks for this mayfrayn.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Frecklescounter

Sorry, double post.
Found this interview. You can download it there.
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/epi...segments/99689

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Passionately Enthralled

http://www.sloartcenter.org/exhibits.htm
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Passionately Enthralled

It is a stunning book .My bookseller had one shipped to England for me .It is worth every penny.
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Frecklescounter

Thanks for the info. I would love to have a signed book but unfortunally I live in the wrong side of the world. So I wait for my second book (the one with Orlandos introducion).

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Frecklescounter

Found an interview with Sebastian and his girlfriend Nicole Nagel and her daughter Olympia. They're talking about Basts trip to Arctica he did after the interview. The two girls were with him. The vid is with a German voice over.

You can see it here: http://www.bunte.de/fotos-videos/sim..._aid_5248.html
It's clip 8 of 11.

Or here: http://www.bmw-tv.de/news/lifestyle_...ood_Teil2.html

I grabbed it and converted it to wmv.
http://rapidshare.com/files/16316008...mw_tv.wmv.html
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2V4AIW4G

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Adoring

Thanks Chocolover, I enjoyed them, I think Bast is a great guy, he feels passionate about the environment and he does so much about it to prove that and to help as much as he can!
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
X-Ray Boxer Vision

Some recent pics of Bast:

kbf
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Frecklescounter

Found this:
http://www.buecher.de/shop/Reise-Lae...d_id/26005525/

I couldn't find a link to an english site. There will be a calendar for 2010 with pics taken in Antarctica. Maybe they will update it with a pic later.

I didn't had the time to make a scan or pic from the article in the German Gala. Maybe I have the time during this week.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Smitten

Seb's sorta hot right now in Germany.
He had articles in GQ (+ won their Man Of The Year award for Engagement), Elle, Gala, Bunte Online over the last few weeks, been to Munich conference.
Looking forward to hear from him once he's back from the Centenial Peary Expedition.