Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > In Celebration

Old July 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Eowadia

Thanks Catz!! And Have fun to the OLers going to Mon's performance! Can't wait to hear verdict!!
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Catz

Nuit and loiskent,
programmes are £3. I'll scan mine and add it to this post in a bit.
You can also pick up the flyer too. It would be a lovely souvenir to get your programme signed. fingers crossed.

Been thinking about it some more and I am glad he played Steven. He really conveyed the emotional fragility of the character and his body language and reactions to the other characters were heartbreaking in a couple of scenes, ( you really want to give his character a hug, unlike Andrew, who you want to slap upside the head at times).
I am biased in that I love this play and its themes. I think it is beautifully written and I was happy to see it realised so well. The set and the lighting are excellent and
Spoiler

I loved the performances but am reserving judgement on Mrs Shaw until a second viewing. Will have to read the play again too.

I am sorry if the report is a bit dry - I'm a Londoner so too cool for school and all that,
Spoiler

On a completely shallow note - Orlando looks mighty fine in brown .

I am hoping they do record this and I am checking the arts shows to see if they cover it because it would be lovely to share here another aspect of this interesting young man's work.

xxx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../coverwebl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...iddle1web1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...iddle2webl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../cast1webl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../cast2webl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../cast3webl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../cast4webl.jpg

I couldn't work out the link tags http for bigger

xxx

Last edited by Catz; July 8th, 2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: programme scans added
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Babyjane

Thanks Catz for posting your review. I'm glad to hear he did well but I've been wondering something that no one's mentioned, I probably already know the answer but how was the applause at the end of the play? Did he get a standing ovation? What was his reaction at the end when it was done and people were applauding? Again thanks for sharing your experience.

There are some videos of Orlando leaving the theater at ka-bloom. They are fan videos so I won't post them here.

Last edited by Llyneth; July 8th, 2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: please do not link directly to other boards
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Catz

Babyjane,
the cast took their bows together - twice.
First bow Orlando was to my right in the line up, the second bow Orlando was central in the line up.
No individual curtain calls. After they left the stage for the second time the lights went up.
Applause was full and a lot of ladies were standing but I wasn't really concentrating on what others were up to.
xxx
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM
kathryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by erendira View Post
Liz Iīve read this morning a review at ka-bloom (donīt remember now the name of the poster),and said she was sitting behind a couple of theatre producers,and was chating with them and the man didnīt know Orlando,but thouht he did a very good job,and even could fit a role in his new production,and then the woman told him:"dear we canīt hire him,heīs a star".So not only his fans thinks heīs a good actor.Anyways,it was only the first day,Iīm sure heīs getting better and better from now.
Hiya - that was me!

I'm bringing that bit of my post over, since you've mentioned it but got some of the details switched round:

Quote:
In the interval I was talking to the couple sitting behind me - actually I got chatting to the lady in the queue for the loo, when she asked me if I'd have seen the play if Orlando wasn't in it - and it turns out that they were theatre producers, there to see Dearbhla Molloy because they're thinking about her for a role in a play they're putting on outside the west end. They said Orlando was a good actor - and they were not fans, not there to see him - the guy had never even heard of him. He actually started to say 'actually he'd be good as [character in play they're putting on]' and she had to tell him 'No, we can't cast him' . The lady commented that it was lovely to see so many young women in the theatre - just goes to show what having someone like Orlando in the cast can do for a play.

[ETA: the play they are putting on is called 'Doubt' by John Patrick Shanley, which recently won a Tony award and is being made into a film starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep]
I'm sure he is going to get better and better as the run goes on - I can't wait to see the play again!

Kathryn.
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Artanis

Thanks for letting us know, Catz! Glad that they all got a good round of applause.
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM
evenstar

Thanks for the review Catz!
it sounds like a wonderful play, and i'm so glad orlando has had good reviews (even tho they may be a little biased )
Jenny! Tonny! i can't believe we're going!
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Lilith

thanks catz..i am happy to read that it's nice and touching as a play!
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:41 PM
LoveMyChinny1

Well .. as a newbie here i try my best to catch up with all the postings here in this thread ...
Sorry, if this is allready has been written ,
but does anyone of you noticed, that Orlando lookes very stressed and tired on the pictures ?
He changed a lot during the making of PotC: DMC and AWE ...
It was very exhausting for him, thatīs for sure !
But when you see him now, well ... i am worried about him ...and a lot, to be honest ...

He really need a break ... poor one !!
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
ellietrix

I was wondering, how easy it is to get from the theatre to where mr bloom comes out of the theatre from? im assuming the closer to the doors you are, the easier itd be anyways, but im 4 rows back from teh stage (EEEEP!!) and i don't wanna miss the oppertunity! especially as its my birthday the day after, i have an excuse haha! would the bowing etc be worth missing just to get a chance to see him up close? and in anyones opinion will there be less people on the 11th of august than there are for the first lot?

so many questions, sorry! just wondering from people who ahve been.... :)
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:04 PM
kathryn

Ellietrix, the stage door is directly to the right of the theatre as you come out. Unfortunately that does make it quite difficult for the security gaurds to control the crowd waiting to see Orlando, or organise a single file for autographs. Everyone just walks out and stands there. They do their level best to keep all the fans on the pavement, and not blocking the road, but I'm afraid both times I was there it was a scrum.

You can try to jump up and leave while everyone is applauding - but don't forget the theatre staff have to get the door open for you. And it is rather rude to leave during the curtain call.

To be honest, the best thing to do (if you can) is go back the night after you've seen the show, with your programme, and wait outside before the play finishes - say 9pm/9.30pm - so that you're right at the front by the stage door. That's what we did friday night, and we got autographs and to speak to him (he called me darling!!!).

I don't know what the crowd will be like on the 11th.
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Eowadia

Thanks for the updated review Catz! I am so living through all that are going!
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Alive...and kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Hiya - that was me!

I'm bringing that bit of my post over, since you've mentioned it but got some of the details switched round:

Kathryn.
Hi Kathryn,nice to see you here!Eemmm well, now that I reread your post I can see the "swiched round details",but the thing is I read your post in the morning,and post mine in the evening,so I didnīt remember your words exactly.My only intention was to let know my gal Artanis(and all my other sister here,of course),something I knew she were glad to hear.I hope this didnīt bother you,darling.Thanks for the explanation,and for your review.

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Catz

some programme scans added

links a few posts up, no 27.
xxx
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
The Dimension Jumper

Sighhhhhh...

Thanks for the review! Sadly this is about as close as I will get to seeing Orlando in this play (unless they decide to film it for posterity...cross everything and hope like mad, folks!!), so I do appreciate it.
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I wish....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post

To be honest, the best thing to do (if you can) is go back the night after you've seen the show, with your programme, and wait outside before the play finishes - say 9pm/9.30pm - so that you're right at the front by the stage door.
Well, I'm only in London on the night I go see the play so I don't think I'll make it to the stage door "on time"

(and I definitely don't want to be rude and leave during the curtain call )

*Sigh*
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Kate_Sienna_Inwë

I'm releaved! Great reviews! I'm very exited to go in August! I'm curious for the professional reviews though... (and a bit scared too )
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Eleutherios

I want to know what Orlando thinks about how it's going. I hope he talks about it soon. :)
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
In Love

Thanks very much Catz for the prog :) *hug*
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM
kathryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by erendira View Post
Hi Kathryn,nice to see you here!Eemmm well, now that I reread your post I can see the "swiched round details",but the thing is I read your post in the morning,and post mine in the evening,so I didnīt remember your words exactly.My only intention was to let know my gal Artanis(and all my other sister here,of course),something I knew she were glad to hear.I hope this didnīt bother you,darling.Thanks for the explanation,and for your review.

No problem really - I just didn't want to be the start of one of those 'chinese whispers' style rumours that snowballs out of all recognition...Plus I remembered the name of the play, and since I was editing my post at ka-bloom thought I might as well re-post it here.

Quote:
Well, I'm only in London on the night I go see the play so I don't think I'll make it to the stage door "on time"

(and I definitely don't want to be rude and leave during the curtain call )
Hmm, well in that case my best advice would be to stick close to the theatre, and see if you can worm your way through the crowd to the front. Against the wall next to the corner is actually the best spot - Orlando started from there, the times I was there - if you can get within two people of there you'll get pretty good view. People are pretty good at passing programmes forward to be signed, too.
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Eleutherios

Did anybody see "This Morning" on ITV today? I read that Tim Healy was on it talking about the play. It would be interesting to know what his thoughts were too.
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Llenretedaj

I'm glad to hear such wonderful things about Orlando's performance ( I wasn't expecting to hear anything less. Am I biased? Possibly. )

Thank you, Kathryn and erendira. To hear this tickles me.

As far as the issue of the Yorkshire accent, I'm not really that knowledgeable about such things, but I'm sure if there's room for improvement, he'll definitely rise to the occasion.

Thanks also for the info on the layout of the theatre, Catz. I also like the fact that you describe the theatre as "small enough to give a really intimate atmosphere". I think those are the best types of theatres.

I've read the play, so I know it will be emotional. I don't think I'll be wrong for bringing Kleenex just in case.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Orlando's performance for myself. It's going to be a hard wait, but I know without a doubt it will be worth it.
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Angie

OMG. I am so excited, when I read here your reports.
5 days left for me, till I will see him .
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM
wallace

Is there any chance that the play may be extended? I had received an email from one of the marketing associates before and she said to keep an eye on the website, in that if the show goes well after opening, the booking might be extended.

I don't know how the theatre works in London, but wondered if they set a time, is that it, no matter how successful it is?

Wallace
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Babyjane

I read a few fan reviews that were negative, complete opposite of what I read so far. I don't know if I can post the review here. I'll link to the journal since it's public, the mods can remove if not allowed. [link removed, sorry] I hope the critics don't feel the same as these people, if so he's going to get slaughtered

Last edited by Llyneth; July 10th, 2007 at 02:53 AM.