Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > At World's End

Old June 21st, 2007, 01:03 AM
Kate_Sienna_Inwë

From cinemablend.com

Quote:
Some franchises just don’t know when to quit. Whether or not people are getting sick and tired of the whole Pirates of the Caribbean thing, when a franchise makes that much money, it’s hard to let it die. We’ve been hearing rumblings about a possible fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie for months now, but tonight I got an email from the old friend of the site which not only confirmed a fourth movie will almost certainly be happening, but dropped details on where the series may end up going when it continues.

Our source says that Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is no longer just a possibility, it’s almost a certainty. More importantly, Johnny Depp is all but assured to return, though our scooper claims he may end up making as much as $35 - $40 million to do it. Also returning will be Geoffrey Rush and Gore Verbinski as director, but forget about the rest of the cast because from now on the movies will only be about Captain Jack.

That’s right, Pirates 4 will cast aside Will and Elizabeth to make it an all Jack Sparrow movie. That won’t be the only change Disney is planning to make when the series continues though. Our scooper says, “the ending of Pirates 3, the fountain of youth story might not be the only story they might used the next pirate’s film. The fountain story could used in another form to introduce the story for Pirates 4… the next film might be a departure from the same formula of the last three movies as well, meaning that Jerry Bruckheimer could be planning to enter the realm of Science Fiction this time around and it could be the heart of a new trilogy with Jack Sparrow and his crew of misfits. Some of the brainstorming going around involves some Jules Verne type of scenarios involving some pretty big flying machines, a man who wants to rule more than just the ocean, a encounter with the most famous and dangerous pirate of all, a race to get to a lost world (Hint, Hint) and Jack and his crew going to where no pirate has gone before (No, its not space but Disney had made animated movie about this place before with Michel J Fox voicing one of the characters).”

Pirates science fiction? What the heck? The Michael J. Fox movie our source is referring to is almost certainly Atlantis, which would tie in the Jules Verne and science fiction elements mentioned. Apparently we’ll also get more of Jack’s past and his family, which could also mean more Keith Richards. I’d actually be ok with that, Keith was surprisingly good.

Don’t get too attached to the idea of another Pirates of the Caribbean sequel though. Our insider thinks that Disney plans to take a long, long breather between Pirates movies: “word is that the start date could be around 2009 to 2011.” I don’t think we need another Pirates sequel, but if they’re going to do one, giving the franchise time to recharge is probably a very good idea.

As always, consider everything above as nothing but rumor till something more develops. Our source is a proven one, but if we can’t give you our source, then consider anything we tell you as unconfirmed gossip.
Don't shoot the messenger
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:50 AM
wallace

Kate,
I wouldn't shoot you, as a messenger or otherwise:) But, a friend emailed me this same report on POTC4 so I was going to post it too!

I was hoping that they would do a fourth film. I'd like to see what ways Will and Elizabeth have changed in the 10 years that they were apart. I'm sure the spark would still be there, but what adventures would they create besides the obvious "Fountain of Youth". I believe the writers are very gifted and creative - obviously.

But, some folks don't like POTC3 claiming it is too long, boring, a mess of scrambled plots. OK, so they don't know how to follow a story line and can't connect the dots. I personally think the film is great, and the feel of it is so different from Pirates 1 and 2 for many reasons.

My concern would be what would they create in 4 that people will say what a great film, and was I wrong in thinking it wouldn't be good. But, now, I think it is time for Will to hang up his sword, for Elizabeth to give up her kingship, and for Captain Jack to find another adventure.

As a friend here on this forum pointed out to me, privately, Orlando Bloom wants to get away from the teen idol status, and he'll never break free from that persona if he keeps on doing this film. He is a gifted actor, and needs to stretch his talent.

I will miss a summer when we don't have a Pirates film to see, but if Orlando, Keira and others won't be in POTC4, then I think they shouldn't do anymore.

Depp is a great actor, but I think others in Pirates3 outshone him, i.e, Bloom, Rush, and without them, I don't feel the 4th will be good.

Now you can shoot the messenger!

The site "Keep to the Code" has a thread that is talking about Pirates 4 with the new title of Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Men Tell No Tales. There is a picture of Johnny Depp alone with the pirate logo.

I don't know whether I believe this or not, but the KTTC site is pretty legit.

Wallace

Last edited by Llyneth; June 24th, 2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM
Kate_Sienna_Inwë

Hm... I'm not sure I'm liking this...

I believe Ted & Terry can make a story out of a trashcan (or a Disneyride ) but I have the feeling a fourth one without the main actors like Orlando and Keira might be made for the wrong currency. I'm afraid that *currency* is the currency of the realm (just thought I throw in a quote from Becket ). Know what I mean?
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:51 AM
Dreamer

If there was a number of years between Pirates 3 and Pirates 4 I think that the world would be very ready for it and who knows if it was four or five years away Orlando and Keira may be ready for more pirates...just my thoughts of course...

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM
wallace

I read in a Canadian newspaper this morning that they indeed are doing a 4th film, but only Depp and Rush will be in it. It will supposedly have a science fiction slant to it (don't think I'm liking that idea), but Bloom and Knightely won't be in it.

I think Depp is a great actor, but Orlando and Keira have grown so much into their charactes, especially Orlando so I can't see where this will work.

I hate to say this but think are they doing this just to keep the ride on the gravy train going? I hope not. I would hate to see them take a trilogy of a film that is really great and keep it alive just to make more money while sacrificing the integrity of the films.

To me, if Orlando and Keira don't come back, they shouldn't do a 4th film.
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Passionately Enthralled

My prediction: They will make a 4th film, with Johnny & Geoffrey (no Orlando or Kiera) -- and the fantasy/sci-fi idea of Atlantis sounds great ! Remember, a film is all in the writing and imagination -- if those are solid, with Johnny leading, it can't miss being a hit !!!

It's time for Orlando to explore new venues and grow his many talents !!!
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Passionate about the Elf

Well, as the last line of the article says, this is no more than unconfirmed gossip. Is interesting, though. Like Ki said, I'd be ready for one 5-6 years from now... maybe if they wait that long, Will and Elizabeth's son will be ready for life on the sea to help Uncle Jack, if that be finding the fountain of youth or what ever...

Mirk
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
roseofportroyal

I completely agree with mirk. if you can have orli and keira than use their son. really the movies would not be the same without Will and Elizabeth. I'm not just saying that because I'm a huge fan of the pairing I'm saying it because its true. and honestly it is a risky move on Disney's part to do a 4th. I know when I heard they were making 2 more pirates films i was worried that Disney would screw it up because with most Disney sequels...they not so great but silly me for worrying they did turn out fine. I personally think 4 is a bit of an overkill especially if 2 of the main characters are missing. an element of the story, if not the entire story, would suffer because those two are a huge center point to the story.Will and Jack work so well as a team and you're splitting them up. As well as Will&Liz and even the relationship with Liz&Jack is important to the story. so here's to hoping that if they do make a 4th film that they bring them all back or not do it at all.
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:57 PM
Kate_Sienna_Inwë

Couldn't agree with you more roseofportroyal
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
Shadow

Let us see what will happen. Maybe Orlando do the movie. I hope so, because without him and Keira the movie is incomplete. So let us wait und pray that Orlando will do the fourth pirate movie!!!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:34 AM
wallace

Based on what I've read, I would almost now hope and pray that they don't do a Pirates 4. It just wouldn't be the same without Orlando and Keira in it.

Found this, this morning from Entertainment News. At the bottom of the article is a ballot that you can vote if Orlando and Keira should be in Pirates 4. What I don't like about this article is the comment that it is ok to pay Depp from $30-40 Million, but that Orlando and Keira's would be too costly for the less popular characters? Are they kidding? I think in Pirates 3, Orlando did a better job than Depp did and his performance of Will was excellent.

A movie website claims it has all the proposed details for the fourth film in the Pirates of the Carribean series which WILL feature Johnny Depp’s Jack Sparrow, but WON’T feature Keira Knightley or Orlando Bloom!!!!

The report from cinemablend.com states that Disney are set to stump up $30-40million for Depp, and that Geoffrey Rush will also return as Captain Barbossa. However, Kiera Knightley and Orlando Bloom are not expected to reprise their roles.

This seems to concur with many rumours that Disney feel the series can survive with just Cap’n Jack, and that Bloom & Knightley’s involvement would be too costly for less popular characters.

As for the plot? The fountain of youth appears to be the prize for the fourth film, as hinted at the end of At World’s End. The third film was met with some criticism for being overly complicated, having too many characters and leaving certain issues unresolved, and it appears Disney have some work to do if they are to replicate the previous films’ success.

The film, according to the site, is earmarked for a 2009-2011 release.

Last edited by Llyneth; June 24th, 2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
HiLaRbEaN

If they weren't planning on bringing Will and Elizabeth back for Pirates 4... what was the point of having that extra scene at the end of the movie?!?!? If all they wanted to do was add in the son as a character, they could have waited until they made Pirates 4 and made it a surprise.

Oh well, I give up trying to figure this out. Either way, I will go see a Pirates 4 if/when it's ever made!

-Hilary
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
White Masque

I don't know if Orlando and Keira reprising their roles or not is a problem of pay or simply interest in acting those parts again. Johnny said he'd give it another go since he now adores Captain Jack.

Frankly, if Orlando and Keira don't want another go, I'll respect their decision. Fans do adore all their characters (myself included), but those actors went through a ton of work and spent years to make these three films. It would take more time and effort to make another.

Orlando on his own has spent nearly ten years working on swordfighting, swashbuckler type films. He started in LOTR just out of acting school, has done Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, Ned Kelly, Pirates, with an occassional modern film (Elizabethtown and Haven). The man is thirty now and wants to go back to his acting roots aka theater. He wants to pull away from all those swashbucklers and I respect him for that. Theater is a very different ball-game and could really hone his acting skills.

Another Pirates film without Orlando and Keira wouldn't draw fans in as much, nor be as good even with the miraculous Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush. Frankly, I don't think another one should be made (with the entire cast) therefore Orlando and Keira can continue on their acting careers, gaining new and better roles in which they can really show their acting potential.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
princessoftroy

I agree with you guys. If Orli and Keira aren't there, there would be no reason for a 4th! It would seem too weird to see Pirates4 without Will and Liz!! I think Disney should stop and leave it how it is. I wouldn't want to see the next one without them!!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Kate_Sienna_Inwë

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Masque View Post
I don't know if Orlando and Keira reprising their roles or not is a problem of pay or simply interest in acting those parts again. Johnny said he'd give it another go since he now adores Captain Jack.

Frankly, if Orlando and Keira don't want another go, I'll respect their decision. Fans do adore all their characters (myself included), but those actors went through a ton of work and spent years to make these three films. It would take more time and effort to make another.

Orlando on his own has spent nearly ten years working on swordfighting, swashbuckler type films. He started in LOTR just out of acting school, has done Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, Ned Kelly, Pirates, with an occassional modern film (Elizabethtown and Haven). The man is thirty now and wants to go back to his acting roots aka theater. He wants to pull away from all those swashbucklers and I respect him for that. Theater is a very different ball-game and could really hone his acting skills.

Another Pirates film without Orlando and Keira wouldn't draw fans in as much, nor be as good even with the miraculous Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush. Frankly, I don't think another one should be made (with the entire cast) therefore Orlando and Keira can continue on their acting careers, gaining new and better roles in which they can really show their acting potential.
Amen!
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:08 AM
roseofportroyal

I agree with the above comments but i do think we need to put in a word for Johnny here. Yes, Will and Liz make the movie complete and without them a certain element of the story is missing but don't forget that Captain Jack was a part of making the films as great as they are. I have already defended the Will and Liz point but seriously, I do think that Johnny could carry a film on his own. I don't agree with a fourth film and I don't agree with cutting out our fav couple. The third film was originally meant to put a CLOSE to the entire franchise. Jerry Bruckheimer was quoted many times as saying "this is the last one." or " this is Elizabeth's story, it ends with her.". I think if they say its going to be the last one then it bloody well should be. I'm all for a fourth if the whole cast returns but I've already argued the point and I'll move on. Johnny is a fantastic actor and was nominated for an Oscar for this role he has fell in love with. He's perfectly capable or carrying a film and yes, i doubt they will draw in as many fans and the story will probably suffer a bit because of the absense of Mr. and Mrs. Turner but I'll go see how Johnny and Geoffrey do.
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:47 PM
White Masque

I agree on that point! I've followed Johnny's acting career for a while now thanks to my mom's love of him. He is a brilliant, utterly brilliant, actor! If you see Benny and Joon, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Don Juan Demarco, Donnie Brasco, Blow, Secret Window...the list goes on! He is absolutely astounding in all those roles!!

Jack is a fun, unique character. Not nearly as deep as his previous roles, yet still extremely fun. I doubt Johnny will ever win an Oscar because their so political and Johnny's been known as taking "strange roles" for the majority of his career. He's only become big because of Pirates, but his previous roles are just as fantastic.

Geoffrey Rush is just as marvelous! I've seen him in a number of films as well: Elizabeth, Frida, Ned Kelly, Finding Nemo (voice-over), etc. I enjoy Geoffrey's work as well. He usually has very powerful roles.

In my opinion, Johnny and Geoffrey are two of the best actors in the business now! Their the Peter O'Toole and Montgomery Clift of today! These two men really match up with the stunning actors of the past.

I'd see a fourth Pirates if both these men were in it just to see these two actors. For example, when I saw the trailers for Pirates 1 I thought the movie looked horrible. I was only going to see it for Johnny and Orlando (I didn't know Geoffrey at the time). I'd do the same for Johnny and Geoffrey, though I hope a fourth Pirates never hits theaters. Pirates 3 was a good closing to the franchise. Plus, I'd like to see Johnny in his new bizarre roles, Sweeney Todd being the most recent!
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

No pirate movie for me without a Will and Lizzy.
Jack Sparrow is fun but .........not without the rest...it is the mixture of those 3.
But well Johnny is in it....might be working!! Let's stay positive heh
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggybelle View Post
My prediction: They will make a 4th film, with Johnny & Geoffrey (no Orlando or Kiera) -- and the fantasy/sci-fi idea of Atlantis sounds great ! Remember, a film is all in the writing and imagination -- if those are solid, with Johnny leading, it can't miss being a hit !!!

It's time for Orlando to explore new venues and grow his many talents !!!
i hold the same prediction, but i'm not as excited about the Atlantis as you seem to be. i think they should go more the Treasure Island route. it's about time they did some proper pillaging and plundering.

if they do make a 4th, which they will, it's almost gauranteed Orlando and Keira won't be in it sad, because Orlando makes such a brilliant pirate and Keira just plain rocks...i agree with what many have said before, Orlando and Keira are as important a part of these movies as Johnny is.
i have mixed feelings about a 4th. i have this ridiculous desire for Pirates movies to go on forever, but if it lacks the brilliant acting and writing we've come to love then they should end it where it is. if Johnny, Terry & Ted, Gore, and Jerry are all still on board, then it's 99.9% gauranteed to be brilliant, but there's still that .1% that has me worried.
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM
besotted with buttons

I could watch Jack for a month of sundays, not one of those who is tired of him at all, and infact the third movie relit the fire so to speak, I just that I think the story is told. I agree maybe in a few years revisiting Jack and the search for what he wants most might be appealing.
Much as I loved Will's reincarnation and the story's finale and I don't want to start the old row about what the ending meant, but in my view the matter is settled. The FD needs a Captain. He is the Captain. I just went to see it again today and the near end scene where he and Jack see off the British Navy- no longer Captain and Whelp, but equals was the best ending I could imagine to that story.
Not something to hold your breath over huh and definately an idea at best, rumour at worst.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Malene

Some years from now I could definitely handle more Will and Jack.
And I love Elizabeth and Barbossa and the Black Pearl crew too,so they can come to the party too.

I'm not by any means tired of any of these characters.So yeah,a PoTC 4 would be nice.

I don't care one bit about it being made only to make a billion dollars or how it might pigeon hole the actors.I want to see Will Turner get wet again.I'm shallow that way.
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:47 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene View Post
I don't care one bit about it being made only to make a billion dollars or how it might pigeon hole the actors.I want to see Will Turner get wet again.I'm shallow that way.
That's why I love you so, dearest.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
I want to see Will Turner get wet again.I'm shallow that way.
Lets get to what is important...I could quite handle that myself...

Old June 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Malene

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiGirl View Post
Lets get to what is important...I could quite handle that myself...
Hehe! Glad some people share my opinion of what is important.
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Hehe! Glad some people share my opinion of what is important.
I think that it is called cutting to the chase....

Though must admit that I really enjoy Jack Sparrow too..