Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Zulu

Old October 20th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

You're welcome : )
And, if you like, feel free to introduce yourself to our other members here
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
brittania

Andnolewen, thank you very much for your helpfulness - will have to think of what to say - one always gets tongue tied when talking of yourself
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Passionately Enthralled

news about filming in Cape Town and a tiny pic of Orlando on set:
http://www.thepost.co.za/gangs-shoot...5#.ULZbkdfroX8
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Alive...and kicking

Thank you May
I would feel like faint in that case too...lucky woman.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

I love how South African is so similar to Dutch *g*
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Alive...and kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andnolewen View Post
I love how South African is so similar to Dutch *g*
Is not strange because the afrikaners(boers) came from Holand...in the XVII century

Old November 29th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Gang Shoot

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...5#.ULaXmOT7KSo

Cape Town - Hollywood film bosses have hired ex-gangsters – to play themselves in a new multi-billion rand blockbuster.

The hardened ex-cons will be starring alongside Hollywood superstars Orlando Bloom and Forest Whitaker in the film Zulu.

The movie is currently being filmed at various locations around the CBD.

But the Daily Voice has learned that movie chiefs also built a massive purpose-built set on the mean streets of Parkwood.

The notorious suburb has been buzzing all week as Tinseltown descended on the Cape Flats.

Crews spent a week building a gigantic set that mirrors a typical Flats neighbourhood – complete with fake DStv satellite dishes, aerials and sink houses.

Over 60 local community members were hired as painters, carpenters and security guards.

And other lucky people found themselves being hired to act as extras in the film – portraying their former lives as gangsters.

“I didn’t have to go for acting classes – I just had to act like I did in the past,” reformed gangster-turned-actor Elroy “Madt” Martheze told.

Elroy and his fellow “actors” were paid R300 a day for four weeks while key “fighting and shooting” scenes in the film were filmed in Parkwood.

Another local man Esa Adams, 25, offered his home as part of the set – and it was used as a tuck shop in the international movie.

Then he landed a part playing one of the gangsters.

The extras say they were treated like royalty during filming.

They dined with the stars of the movie and even shared the same make-up artist as one of Hollywood’s biggest stars.

“The first time the girl put make-up on me I told her she is making me feel like Orlando Bloom,” joked Esa.

All of the cast described Bloom and his co-star Forest Whitaker as down-to-earth guys who treated the rest of the crew as if they had known them for years.

“When they first came here I thought ‘I can’t speak to them because they won’t speak back’,” said extra Eugene Williams.

“But I was wrong – they turned out to be the ones asking to take pictures with us!”

They even taught the stars how to speak fluent Cape Flats slang.

“I taught him [Forest Whitaker] how to say pagamiesa – it took a few minutes for him to pronounce it properly,” laughed Esa.

The crew said the filming also brought in some much-needed cash into the gang-ravaged area.

“I am really thankful for the R300 we got as our pay per day,” added Esa.

“This money came in useful because I have a laaitie (child) of five years old and a princess on the way, so just like the rest of the community I used the money for food, clothes, and krag geld [electricity money].”

But for others, the magical movie inspired them to try and make it big in the acting world.

“Dié is die begin van my drome [this is the beginning of my dreams],” Asheekah Adams, 20, said.

Asheekah excitedly describes how directors and actors gave her invaluable advice on how to achieve her goal of becoming an actress.

She was so motivated that she even began to look for her own agent.

Others were just happy to get close to one of Hollywood’s hottest leading men.

Zainunesa Bianchi, 35, was literally blown away by Orlando Bloom’s gorgeous body as he gave her a tight-squeeze in his kwaai geboude (muscled) arms.

“Ek het gedink ‘Here, hier faint ek’. Maar dit was so lekker [I thought ‘Oh God, I’m going to faint’. But it was so nice],” Zainunesa said.

The location manager of the movie, who is from Cape Town but who does not want to be named, reveals the actors immediately “fell in love” with the idea of shooting the movie on the Cape Flats and got excited when introduced to Parkwood.

“We had the option of using Gugulethu and Manenberg – but I decided on Parkwood because it is much safer and the people here are not afraid to get their hands dirty,” he told.

Filming on the movie has now moved to Sea Point and other parts of the CBD.

Zulu is due to be released in South African cinemas in April next year.

Last edited by Ginger; November 29th, 2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Passionately Enthralled

The first still of movie "Zulu", with Orlando and Forest Whitaker, has been released. The movie is currently in post production and it will be relased this year:
clickable

source allocine.fr

Last edited by Andnolewen; January 25th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Alive...and kicking

Eeeeee.... I recognize that scene...*bite your tongue Lola*...Thank you so much May

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:19 AM
at world´s end and beyond

yay!! that´s exciting!! can´t wait . Hope it makes it in to cinemas
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
CAPE TOWN -- When the sound of gunshots rattled the calm in the Cape Flats district of Cape Town on a recent weekday afternoon, nobody panicked. Some residents were too busy snapping cellphone pictures of Orlando Bloom. Others waved from their windows and balconies, hoping to catch the eye of Forest Whitaker, who flashed them a thumbs-up.
The shots -- which were blanks -- might have been commonplace in this notoriously rough township. But the sight of two film stars was anything but.

As production wrapped in December on "Zulu" -- an adaptation of the crime thriller by the French novelist Caryl Ferey -- hopes were high that this latest star sighting in Cape Town wouldn't be the last.

One year after the release of Universal's "Safe House" and Fox's "Chronicle," both lensed in South Africa, Pathe Intl. is gambling on this country's rising location status with two big co-productions of its own. "Zulu," produced by Eskwad with Pathe, M6 Films, and South Africa's Lobster Tree, marks the French company's first venture into the territory. It sets the stage for the long-awaited Nelson Mandela biopic "Long Walk to Freedom," which Pathe will be releasing with Anant Singh's Videovision later this year.

The latest films are part of a noticeable trend. After years of serving as a scenic stand-in for other countries, South Africa is enjoying its own turn in the spotlight. Lobster Tree's Eric Loeb says more and more producers are looking to mine the country's rich cultural heritage for new stories to tell.

"The more you dig, the more you find," he says.

On the surface, "Zulu" is a modern-day crime thriller about a drug-trafficking syndicate in Cape Town. Whitaker plays a police chief who narrowly escaped death as a child in the apartheid era, when his family was caught in the crossfire between rival liberation movements. Bloom's character is a freewheeling cop estranged from his ex-wife and son who is equally tormented by the past.

Haunting the movie are the ghosts of apartheid, and the difficult questions of justice and redemption being asked of a nation that, nearly two decades after its demise, is still grappling with its legacy.

Helmer Jerome Salle admits he was nervous about making the film, even wondering if Pathe would greenlight the project. After completing the script, he needed reassurance that the company was prepared to make such a dark movie, asking, "Are you sure you want to do it?"

The company agreed, largely because the film's central theme, says Salle, would resonate with global audiences. "Forgiveness … is very universal," he says.

The shoot wasn't without its challenges. The Cape Flats township is notorious for its gang culture; while scouting locations, producers almost found themselves in the middle of a turf war. The location they settled on was relatively peaceful. "At least it was only run by one gang," Loeb jokes.

The production, he says, highlighted South Africa's strengths concerning offshore shoots, with its skilled crews, varied locations, and a pro-industry government that has introduced a host of incentives in recent years.

The movie is likely to strengthen the ties between France and South Africa, which signed a co-production treaty in 2010. The first official co-production between the two, "Skoonheid," by South African helmer Oliver Hermanus, preemed in Un Certain Regard at Cannes in 2011.

Pathe is handling international sales for "Zulu," and will be showing exclusive promo reel footage in Berlin.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118065524/
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Alive...and kicking

"International sales..." I hope that means all western Europe,it seems that Germany is quite sure though Carola

Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

Quote:
Pathe is handling international sales for "Zulu," and will be showing exclusive promo reel footage in Berlin.
I'm definitely living in the wrong city.

~ Naz ~

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
With the 63rd annual Berlin International Film festival under way in Germany, local film company Videovision Entertainment has clinched a deal to distribute the two most talked-about films at the festival.

At the weekend, the company revealed that before the festival started, it managed to get Wong Kar Wai’s The Grandmaster and the Cape Town-shot Zulu featuring Orlando Bloom and Forest Whitaker.

The Grandmaster is a martial arts period film that stars Tony Leung (2046), Zhang Ziyi (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) and Chang Chen.

It looks at the life of the legendary Kung Fu master Yip Kai-man, who mentored Bruce Lee, and is set in the 1936 Japanese invasion of China.

When Zulu was shot in Cape Town last year, sightings of Bloom and Whitaker in some parts of the Mother City caused quite a stir.

The film features local actors Conrad Kemp, Adrian Galley, Tanya van Graan and Inge Beckmann.

Zulu is the first major project of French director Jérôme Salle and its set in 2010, when a mutilated corpse is found by police duo Brian Epkeen (Bloom) and Ali Neuman (Whitaker) in the city’s botanical gardens.

Neuman investigates the mysterious circumstances surrounding the inexplicable murder of the daughter of a former rugby champion.

Videovision’s acquisitions director Sanjeev Singh said: “We are thrilled to have scooped the rights to The Grandmaster, which opened the Berlin Film Festival.

“It was subsequently announced that The Weinstein Company acquired all the rights from Annapurna for the US and English-speaking Canadian territories, as well as rights to all other English speaking countries, which include Australia, New Zealand and the UK, from Wild Bunch.

“We are delighted to have concluded a deal on Zulu prior to the commencement of the Festival and ahead of the promo screening.”

The Berlin International Film Festival runs until Sunday.

The Grandmaster and Zulu will be released locally by Videovision Entertainment later this year.
http://www.thenewage.co.za/82383-102..._two_big_films
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Alive...and kicking

Quote:
The Grandmaster and Zulu will be released locally by Videovision Entertainment later this year.
Locally?...what does that mean?...let it comes to Europe,please,please...

Old February 12th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by erendira View Post
Locally?...what does that mean?...let it comes to Europe,please,please...
Since this is an account from the Berlinale Festival which takes place at the moment, it mentions Videovision Entertainment as a local production company, situated in Berlin, who bought the distribution for Zulu.
Which means Zulu will be released in Germany - but I have no doubt it comes to other European countries, too.

I just hope it has a worldwide release as well!

~ Naz ~

Old February 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I googled Videovsion Entertainment and unfortunately it´s a South African company. And since this article is also posted on a South African site
I fear it means they´ll be distribute it locally only there. But I really hope it will also be released worldwide so we all can see it on the big screen.

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Passionately Enthralled

'Zulu' will be the closing night film in Cannes!

Quote:
Orlando Bloom film Zulu to close Cannes Film Festival 2013

Orlando Bloom's new movie about a pair of South African police officers will close this year's Cannes Film Festival.

The Lord of the Rings star teams up with Forest Whitaker in the thriller, called Zulu, which is set in Cape Town.

This year's festival, which attracts some of Hollywood's biggest names and most powerful people to the south of France every year, opens on Wednesday May 15 with Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby.

Hollywood legend Steven Spielberg will chair the jury that hands out the top prize at this year's festival - more than three decades after making his debut there with ET.

Spielberg, whose hits include Jaws and Raiders Of The Lost Ark, said the annual film industry gathering was "the most prestigious of its kind".

He said: "The memory of my first Cannes Film Festival, nearly 31 years ago with the debut of ET, is still one of the most vibrant memories of my career.

"For over six decades, Cannes has served as a platform for extraordinary films to be discovered and introduced to the world for the first time. It is an honour and a privilege to preside over the jury of a festival that proves, again and again, that cinema is the language of the world."

This year's festival runs from May 15 to 26.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...3-8570337.html

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Alive...and kicking

Ah thank you for the news dear... hope that everything goes well for the movie and we can see it in the big screen soon.I'm SO looking forward to it *crossing fingers*

Here's the oficial page Festival de Cannes 2013

Last edited by erendira; April 12th, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thank you for the info.

sig by erendira :)
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:37 PM
at world´s end and beyond

amazing!! I just saw the news and I was going to post thanks a lot!
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

Woah, great news!!

From the official Cannes Festival website -
Quote:
The 66th Festival de Cannes will close on 26th May with a screening of the thriller Zulu, shot entirely on location in South Africa by Jérôme Salle and adapted from the novel of the same name by Caryl Férey.

The action takes place in Cape Town, in a South Africa still overshadowed by apartheid, where destitute townships rubs shoulders with affluent neighbourhoods. Two cops on the beat, Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribbean by Gore Verbinski, Lord of the Rings by Peter Jackson) and Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland by Kevin McDonald, Ghost Dog, La Voie du Samouraï by Jim Jarmush) are caught up in a suspenseful search which combines elements of political film noir and social study.

Co-written by Julien Rappeneau, Zulu was produced by Richard Grandpierre (Eskwad), coproduced with Pathé, Lobster Tree and M6 Films and is to be distributed in France by Pathé, who will also handle the film’s international distribution. The score was composed by Alexandre Desplat. ...

~ Naz ~

Old April 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Great news! Hopefully we'll all get to see it on a big screen near us soon!

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Passionately Enthralled

First teaser trailer for Zulu!
http://orlandolove.net/orlandolove/s...575#post743575
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Passionately Enthralled

You can download Zulu press kit in PDF at this link:
http://www.festival-cannes.fr/assets...ect/049363.pdf