Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Zulu

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Zulu, movie news

After months of rumors..Orlando is now in South Africa about to start filming "Zulu"

A drama/thriller set in South Africa

Director: Jérôme Salle
Writers: Julien Rappeneau, Jérôme Salle,

Orlando will play Brian Epkeen and Forest Whitaker will play Ali Neuman

Plot summary:

As a child, Ali Neuman narrowly escaped being murdered by Inkhata, a militant political party at war with Nelson Mandela's African National Congress. Only he and his mother survived the carnage of those years. But as with many survivors, the psychological scars remain. Today, Ali is chief of the homicide branch of the South African police in Cape Town. One of his staff is Brian Epkeen, a free-wheeling white officer whose family was originally involved in the establishment of apartheid but who works well with Neuman. Together they have to deal with crime that inevitably exists in sprawling areas of un -and under- employed people, crime exacerbated by gangs, both local and from other parts of Africa. Their job gets even more difficult when the corpses of two young women are found. A new evil has been introduced in the city and a new drug has been introduced to its residents, including both murder victims. At the chaotic crossroads where brutality and modernization collide, the echoes of apartheid still resound in the shadows of a society struggling toward reconciliation
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Passionately Enthralled

So, if that doesn't sound like a TERRIFIC movie, I don't know. It probably won't become a blockbuster-type of movie but that doesn't matter at all, right? The story alone calls for awards - hopefully culminating in the Academy Award.
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Smitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriawen View Post
So, if that doesn't sound like a TERRIFIC movie, I don't know. It probably won't become a blockbuster-type of movie but that doesn't matter at all, right? The story alone calls for awards - hopefully culminating in the Academy Award.
I sincerely hope that he gets some recognition with ZULU.

but I wonder why they have not made any official declaration yet, specially after the casting change.
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:51 PM
at world´s end and beyond

Source
Quote:
Shooting Begins In S. Africa On Forest Whitaker Crime Drama 'Zulu' (Alexandre Desplat Scoring)

Shooting officially began today in Cape Town, South Africa, on the Forest Whitaker/Orlando Bloom crime drama Zulu, which is based on French author Caryl Férey’s award winning crime novel of the same name.

The film is being directed by French helmer Jérôme Salle - his first film in English.

Recapping... Set against the backdrop of post-apartheid South Africa, Whitaker (in a role that was initially assigned to Djimon Hounsou) and Bloom will play two South African police officers on opposing sides of the apartheid divide, who work together to fight crime.

Here's the film production company's description of the filmed version of the novel:

As a child, Ali Neuman narrowly escaped being murdered by Inkhata, a militant political party at war with Nelson Mandela's African National Congress. Only he and his mother survived the carnage of those years. But as with many survivors, the psychological scars remain. Today, Ali is chief of the homicide branch of the South African police in Cape Town. One of his staff is Brian Epkeen, a free-wheeling white officer whose family was originally involved in the establishment of apartheid but who works well with Neuman. Together they have to deal with crime that inevitably exists in sprawling areas of un -and under- employed people, crime exacerbated by gangs, both local and from other parts of Africa. Their job gets even more difficult when the corpses of two young women are found. A new evil has been introduced in the city and a new drug has been introduced to its residents, including both murder victims. At the chaotic crossroads where brutality and modernization collide, the echoes of apartheid still resound in the shadows of a society struggling toward reconciliation.

When this was first announced in February, Djimon was to play Ali Neuman, and Bloom, Brian Epkeen. Now Whitaker will play Ali Neuman.

Director Salle is directing from his own script adaptation of a novel that has been reviewed fairly well. A few months ago, Tamara Brown wrote a Book-To-Film report on this project for S&A, which you can read HERE.

The film is a French/English/South African co-production by Pathé, M6 Films, and Lobster Film.

French film composer Alexandre Desplat working on the soundtrack. Desplat has received four Academy Award nominations, five BAFTA nominations, five Golden Globe nominations, and two Grammy nominations. Among various projects, Desplat has worked on a variety of Hollywood films including independent and commercial successes like The Queen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moorise Kingdom, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, The King's Speech, and many others.

Shooting started today, and will end on December 6.
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

Great news! - and woa, until December!

Thanks for the info, Nel!

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Smitten

some more info at this link -

http://cineuropa.org/nw.aspx?t=newsd...=en&did=226447

Old September 29th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Head Over Heels

Can't wait!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
brittania

I hope this film is a great success and brings him back into the spotlight again.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

I've started a new thread over at the Paparazzi Pictures forum with set photos from Zulu ... let me say, he looks very ...

~ Naz ~

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Photo Fanatic

Yummy? Edible? Sexy?
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Short interview with SA actress who plays Orlando's girlfriend in the movie

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/...smooches-bloom
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Photo Fanatic

Brian Epkeen has a son? Or is that a mistake and it's Ali Neuman (Forest Whitaker) who has the son?
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymochridh View Post
Brian Epkeen has a son? Or is that a mistake and it's Ali Neuman (Forest Whitaker) who has the son?
No, it seems Brian has a son of 19 years old.
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

He does have a son. The actor portraying him is 19, but in the book he is 20. But they may make him younger, since Orlando is a bit younger than his character in the book.

I just finished reading Zulu. it's really a great book. It is a very interesting and complex crime thriller, which really keeps you on the edge of your seat. But it is also extremely violent and graphic.
This will be a movie that is really hard to watch.
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Alive...and kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
He does have a son. The actor portraying him is 19, but in the book he is 20. But they may make him younger, since Orlando is a bit younger than his character in the book.

I just finished reading Zulu. it's really a great book. It is a very interesting and complex crime thriller, which really keeps you on the edge of your seat. But it is also extremely violent and graphic.
This will be a movie that is really hard to watch.
Yes I agree TG...I read it in almost one go...it will be hard to see,but very very interesting,it hook me since the beginning....it can be a great movie and a great part for Orlando.Hope the screenplay and edition rise to the ocassion...*crossing fingers*...
Spoiler

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Amwyn

The girl who plays his girlfriend is gorgeous I must say.
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
It seems Oscar winner Forest Whitaker does not deal in half measures - the 51-year-old is conducting his own research on gangs in Cape Town's Gugulethu township for his role in the upcoming film Zulu.Whitaker and Orlando Bloom play co-leads in the crime thriller, directed by Jérôme Salle.

Bloom has been spotted at Sea Point's Virgin Active gym and also during shooting at a cemetery in Maitland.

Whitaker appears unfazed by the township's violent reputation.

A crew member told The Times yesterday: "He doesn't want to spend time at the [V&A] Waterfront. He has asked to meet some gang members and speak to them to get insight. It was never part of the [production] plan, but he wanted to do his own research."

Whitaker won an Academy Award for best actor for his portrayal of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland.

Local actress Nomhle Nkonyeni - who has featured in local series such as Society and Tsha Tsha - also has a prominent role in Zulu.

She will play the mother of Whitaker's character, Ali Neuman.

Her niece, Zandile Nkonyeni, a publicity manager at the SABC, spent some time on the set and met both Whitaker and Bloom.

She said: "They are the most humble Hollywood stars I've met. I spoke to Forest a lot, mostly because Orlando was shooting close-ups in between.

"We spoke about his [Whitaker's] work, both previous and current, and we took a few pictures.

"Forest even apologised for not being in a suit for the pictures."

Whitaker wanted to see a bit of township life last night [Saturday], but I couldn't go."

Nkonyeni said neither of the Hollywood stars displayed any "diva tendencies" and "ate what was served".

"Forest was so getting along with my aunt [that] he called her his mother," she added.

The film is adapted from French author Caryl Férey's crime novel of the same title , which won France's Grand Prix for best crime novel four years ago.

In the novel, Neuman narrowly escapes being killed by members of Inkatha Freedom Party during its running battles with the ANC before the 1994 democratic elections . Of his family, only he and his mother survive - but both are deeply wounded psychologically.

Neuman later becomes the chief of the homicide branch of the South African Police Service in Cape Town.

He and one of his staff members, Brain Epkeen (played by Bloom), whose family was involved in the creation of apartheid, then have to work together to deal with crime in the townships, where gangsterism and drugs are rife.

The film also features Tanya van Graan (Tara), who plays Bloom's girlfriend in the film; Natasha Loring (Marjorie), Sven Ruygrok (David Epkeen) and Adrian Galley (Nils Botha).

The film is set for release next year. No definite date has been set yet.
http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/...sabreakingnews
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks for that May

sig by erendira :)
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Alive...and kicking

Thank you May,is an interesting article...that he's humble and down to earth is something we already know very well,but it's always nice to hear it...
What it really seems strange to me are the names of the people in the cast...all those characters they're mentioning are really very minor roles(except perhaps Brian's son),however there're a lot of important characters that are missed...hope it's just lack of information...

Old October 18th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Movies often combine characters for the same effect. Sometimes having too many characters in a film is confusing to the audience. Readers can take their time with many characters, but movie goers don't have that luxury.

I have my own thoughts as to why Marjorie and David might have larger roles, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

If anyone who has read the book wants to talk about something that could spoil it for someone else, we could talk over PM.
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM
dazzled

Well here's his (ex)wife :

http://www.rollingstone.co.za/mtvrev...-orlando-bloom
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Alive...and kicking

Ah thank you mientje,so she will be Ruby...

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I am really happy for him. It is wonderful role and just GREAT NEWS! HOPE HE ENJOYS the shooting in SA. Plus I am sure the shooting touches him deeply and personally as it is in a way part of his familiar blackground. So congrats hon and go for it!
Old October 19th, 2012, 01:40 AM
brittania

http://www.dispatch.co.za/hollywood-...city-for-zulu/

This is a great book and I hope it rejuvenates his career.
Old October 19th, 2012, 04:45 PM
brittania

there it is - thanks Andowelen (I probably have completely buggered up your name) but thanks for the pm and explaining. Want to contribute whenever I can to this great forum.