Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > At World's End

Old November 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Curse Confusion!

I'm a bit confused! Just after AWE was released in the cinema I read on a community that the writers had revealed that Will was able to step on land after his ten years was done if Elizabeth waited for him. I thought OK at least it clears that up. But I got the DVD on saturday and it came with a booklet that had questions that people wanted answers to. One of these regarded the curse and the answer was that Will was bound to the Dutchman forever. Can someone help me clear this up as it's really confusing me!

Pirate-x-Girls
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
absoluteimp

As captain of the FD, he IS bound to the ship forever -ferrying the souls of those who die at sea - to the other side. But ONCE every ten years, for one day ( I assume its 24 hrs ), he is allowed one sojourn onto dry land (and here we presume he spends it with Lizzie, but he can go ashore regardless of whether she's waiting or not - what happens when she dies?)...after the one day and night, he must return to the FD and it will be ten more years before he can set foot on land again. His life will be like that forever. ONCE in 10 years.

*pats Will's head*
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Photo Fanatic

Thought the writers stated in one of their blogs that since Elizabeth stayed true to Will after 10 years he was able to return to his life on land. That's what the green flash was supposed to signify - that a soul was returning. I still think Will and Elizabeth got the raw end of the deal myself.
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM
absoluteimp

That's weird, and it doesn't follow the mythos does it? Why would he need to be immortal if the job was only for 10 years?

And the booklet that comes with the had " questions that people wanted answers to. One of these regarded the curse and the answer was that Will was bound to the Dutchman forever. " and I assumed that the green flash of light just means that he returns on that night...and that it happens once every ten years....the flash of green I mean.

Hmmmmm............inconsistencies I say! I'd like to see the part in the blog where the writer talks about this. You have a link?

Last edited by absoluteimp; November 27th, 2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
NinJa

Thanks for bringing this up, it's confused me as well lately.

I thought the same as absoluteimp.

That no matter what he is bound to the FD, he has one day aka 24 hours every ten years... until someone else takes his place (and in that case, they have to stab his heart and he dies).
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM
at world´s end and beyond

Here go my two cents about this:

there was also a green flash when the Black Pear returns from Davy Jones&#180; locker, meaning that Jack&#180;s soul was back from the dead, so the green flash of light only means that passing.

Will died. He was killed by Davy Jones using the sword he once forged for the Commodore. Then the crew of the Flying Dutchman and his father claimed him as their captain ("the Dutchman mus have a captain" he said") and so he became inmortal. That will never change.

I think the curse that is broken when he returns after 10 years and meet his family is the one that doomed Davy Jones to a life of darkness, sorrow and villainy when he returned and did not find Calypso waiting for him. But Will will remain inmortal and bound to the ship, returning only one day every 10 years to see how his family is doing
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Passionate about the Elf

I remember when the movie came out there was a whole big discussion on this. The version that sat the best with me was that, since the Dutchman must have a captain, Bootstrap took over after 10 years. The green flash did mean Will's soul had returned from the land of the dead, since Elizabeth was true to him. Who know the 'real' story? Maybe someone should write to the writers. :

Mirk
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
absoluteimp

Oh God! How confusing! But I don't recall anything IN the movie that alluded to him being free after 10 years of servitude. Why would he need to be immortal if he only has to do it for 10 years? Makes no sense at all. And if that were so, how do they put the heart back in his body? Do the gods come down and magically do it for him?

As far as I know, he's immortal forever (remember also that Jack wanted to be captain of the FD, so that he could live forever), he gets the 24 hours every 10 years to go ashore, and this cycle repeats forever. That's what I understood and how they made it out in the movie. Maybe in those original blogs, Will would be free after 10 years but that part didn't actually make it into the final script? I dunno, cuz I haven't read the blogs....

I also recall the other pirates (speaking of Jones' captainship) speaking of the green flash. So its the every 10 years thing - and even after Jones was cursed he still got to go ashore every 10 years.

And that's the story I'm sticking to!

Last edited by absoluteimp; November 27th, 2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Malene

I think the writers basicly said that people could believe what they wanted to believe about the curse after the ten years was up,until anything else is shown to us.As these movies are supernatural nothing is given,anything can happen.

Anything else would be a fourth movie,wouldn't it?
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:12 PM
absoluteimp

I also think those might resemble plot holes.....
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Malene

I think it's nice of the writers to allow fans to have hope for Will and Elizabeth to have the power to break the curse.
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:20 PM
absoluteimp

I woulda jumped in the sea and drown myself if I were her...since she's a pirate she'd become bound to the FD......see my point?
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Curiously Alive

#4-yes, that is what is needed to clear up this confusion! Great Idea!
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

ok I'm about to get into my curse ramble . The movie was edited but was supposed to state clearly that if there is a faithful love The captain of the Dutchman is released from the curse. Just recently Terry Rossio on his blog said they should have had a banter between Pintel and Ragetti really clearing this up.

However it didn't happen, shortly after the film came out on the writer's site they maintained Will was free and there are multiple posts for this. But said as is in the movie it's ambiguous and you can choose to believe what you want. But the fact is the myth is based on an opera that states if the love is true curse is broken, and the fact is they had every intention of breaking the curse.

Now in the movie itself, the easiest thing to interpret is that the curse doesn't break, however if you search the details of the flash, the wording of certain lines, and the conversation between Davy and Calypso you can tell that it is.

I believe the pamphlet in the DVD was written by the dvd promoters to give easy answers (look at the rest of em and they're all pretty ridiculous) to a complex movie. I would take the writers word over it and until there is a 4 stating otherwise I'm going with the curse is broken.
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I wish....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krism23 View Post
ok I'm about to get into my curse ramble . The movie was edited but was supposed to state clearly that if there is a faithful love The captain of the Dutchman is released from the curse. Just recently Terry Rossio on his blog said they should have had a banter between Pintel and Ragetti really clearing this up.

However it didn't happen, shortly after the film came out on the writer's site they maintained Will was free and there are multiple posts for this. But said as is in the movie it's ambiguous and you can choose to believe what you want. But the fact is the myth is based on an opera that states if the love is true curse is broken, and the fact is they had every intention of breaking the curse.

Now in the movie itself, the easiest thing to interpret is that the curse doesn't break, however if you search the details of the flash, the wording of certain lines, and the conversation between Davy and Calypso you can tell that it is.

I believe the pamphlet in the DVD was written by the dvd promoters to give easy answers (look at the rest of em and they're all pretty ridiculous) to a complex movie. I would take the writers word over it and until there is a 4 stating otherwise I'm going with the curse is broken.
Ha...that's totally my opinion too! That's how I understood the movie and the many hints you find in it.

But, oh well, I think that everybody is free to interpret the way he/she wants. I personally like "my" happy ending
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:16 AM
sored2me

You know....quite frankly, it really ticks me off that after all these months this confusion is still taking place. If the collective "They' as in the writers, director, producer, etc., had done their job and committed to some thread of clarity, there wouldn't be countless boards, arguing this same topic, yet again.

They should have either make up their minds about what they wanted the story to be and stuck with it, or not bothered to make the second set of movies. And this business of calling the lack of direction in the plot, in regards to the curse, purposeful ambiguity, is nothing more than a way to dump the responsibility of sorting out the story ending on us rather than stepping up and saying, "Well, we made a hash of that now didn't we?"

I've made no secret of the fact that I didn't like that Will died at the end of AWE. And in the end, that's fine. I don't believe the writers and directors of a movie are under any obligation to please just one person with how a character is dealt with.

They do however have a responsibility to put forth and end product that doesn't require the viewer to go to the screenplay writers web site and ask questions, that may or may not be answered, in order to know what was the outcome, only to have those answer contradicted by the DVD pamphlet that supposedly answers the burning questions, which of course would have no need of being answered in said pamphlet, if they'd just been clear in the freaking movie to begin with.

And the worse part about this...
We're letting them get by with it.

Red
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM
In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krism23 View Post

That's what I've been saying, too - the marketing department did it. I'm not sure I'm inclined to believe as canon something that is a few lines above the burning question "How did the dog get off the island?" and the flip answer.
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM
absoluteimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sored2me View Post
You know....quite frankly, it really ticks me off that after all these months this confusion is still taking place. If the collective "They' as in the writers, director, producer, etc., had done their job and committed to some thread of clarity, there wouldn't be countless boards, arguing this same topic, yet again.

They should have either make up their minds about what they wanted the story to be and stuck with it, or not bothered to make the second set of movies. And this business of calling the lack of direction in the plot, in regards to the curse, purposeful ambiguity, is nothing more than a way to dump the responsibility of sorting out the story ending on us rather than stepping up and saying, "Well, we made a hash of that now didn't we?"

I've made no secret of the fact that I didn't like that Will died at the end of AWE. And in the end, that's fine. I don't believe the writers and directors of a movie are under any obligation to please just one person with how a character is dealt with.

They do however have a responsibility to put forth and end product that doesn't require the viewer to go to the screenplay writers web site and ask questions, that may or may not be answered, in order to know what was the outcome, only to have those answer contradicted by the DVD pamphlet that supposedly answers the burning questions, which of course would have no need of being answered in said pamphlet, if they'd just been clear in the freaking movie to begin with.
And the worse part about this...
We're letting them get by with it.

Red

Well, of course, I agree with this. In fact, I wasn't even aware that there was more interpretation about it. I assumed it was he comes back every 10 years forever and no way to break the curse (is it a curse? I know Davy Jones was cursed because he didn't do his job but for Will....??) I must have missed the threads about this confusion, but all the people I know that saw the movie thought what I thought. I didn't know this other possibility existed.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Thanks for all the replies! And I like the idea of being able to believe that Will is free. That is what I will stick with. Inconsistencys are annoying and I do not believe that it is not the writers fault. marketing and promotion has taken over and confused the issue even more than it already was! But hey, thanks again. It certainly does give food for thought and thats exactly what I will do. It just seemed strange to me because of the symbolic nature of the green flash, refering to a soul that is dead coming back and I just wished that it had been cleared up in the movie. The writers also mentioned that there were scenes cut that explained the curse and Will's fate better but they ended up being cut!

Last edited by Pirate-x-Girls; November 29th, 2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: I'm blaming someone without realising it! Can't type!
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM
JenTurner

Giving food for thought is exactly the writer's intentions....Their motto is, we give the audience 2 + 2 and let them come up with 4 on their own
IMHO, movies that make you think are a good thing, we don't always need the answers hand delivered to us....I have explained in other places until my fingers cramped why I believe the curse is lifted! It is lifted, and I am sticking with that!
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenTurner View Post
Giving food for thought is exactly the writer's intentions....Their motto is, we give the audience 2 + 2 and let them come up with 4 on their own
IMHO, movies that make you think are a good thing, we don't always need the answers hand delivered to us....I have explained in other places until my fingers cramped why I believe the curse is lifted! It is lifted, and I am sticking with that!
Couldn't agree more. Editing didn't help but I don't blame the writers, you can still tell the curse is broken. I am sticking with that alone. The pamplet doesn't matter at all to me.
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Utterly Obsessed

Well, ok. As long as we're getting into it...here's my two cents:

1) From my (admittedly crappy) memory, the writers said long ago that this movie wasn't going to have a typical 'happy Disney' ending. Which pleased me just fine. After everything Willabeth went through, if they went back to Port Royal and lived happily ever after, I'd have stood up and thrown things at the screen.

2) Consistently through the movies, different people refer to 'the job' - eternal life ferrying souls, 1 day on land after 10 years at sea. NO WHERE is there even a hint that anyone knows any different.

Will is now the Captain of the Flying Dutchman (long may that bandana wave!) and comes back for one day every 10 years to be with Elizabeth.

And my happy ending? Jack finds the Fountain of Youth - and brings it back for Elizabeth so she can be with Will every 10 years for eternity...
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM
NinJa

Holy moly this is confusing, haha.

In a way I think it's pretty cool though if the writers left it up to every single person to think what they want about the curse... That nothing is totally solved. I don't hope they make anyore movies though. I really dont. POTC has been such a fun and amazing ride, but it has to stop before it gets too much.

I'm gonna stick to the happy ending inside my head anyways
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Lost in his curls

So let me add this to the mix. Jerry B. is the one that said they needed to add the scene at the end that showed Will coming back. Therefore, the way the movie was originally cut, you would never know what happened to Will or Elizabeth. Which would you prefer? This debate or never knowing?

Side note from me - I have done extensive reading on Ted and Terry's site (writers). As has been mentioned, they say they wrote several scenes, that were shot, that explained the curse being broken if E was true, but those scenes did not make the final cut. So the intent of the writers was that there would be a happy ending for W and E, with W not having to stay on the Dutchman, and Calypso choosing a new captain. It is the editing of the film that destroyed that information and proper storyline completion. Personally, there are several scenes I could have happily done without to get this information in.

Lanta
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

You could see it that way and I am glad that the scene at the end was there. The only reason I knew to stay was because I saw an interview where Jerry B said that there was something relating to the story line at the end. A lot of people I know did not stay and so therefore had no idea about the curse relating to freedom and so forth. The films were not the typical Disney style and I do think that they made the right decision in making the ending with a twist. Eventually it would get boring if every film had a happy ending.