Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Movies/TV/Stage -various smaller roles and projects > Black Hawk Down

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlyB&BenBfangrl View Post
Yes I agree with everyone........... if you want to buy it just for Orly's part, than don't... it's really gory and intense. If you're into that sorta stuff, than go for it.
I don't agree I have to say, BHD is a gripping movie really. It's realistic; yes there is a lot of blood but the story behind this tragic event is much deeper than that. As visually overwhelming as it may be (this is Ridley Scott after all) the movie's strenght lies in the fact that there is no "hero" singled out. The team -leave no man behind-, that is what this movie is about.
You have to see it a few times to appreciate that. I like it and the soundtrack is very good.

Last edited by Andnolewen; June 23rd, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I have seen this movie again just today. I loved it, the first time I saw it. Yes, it's a dramatic movie, full of violence, the violence of war. But it is also full of courage, and strenght, and you simply can't take your eyes off of these men, that fight together, and believe in friendship, and loyalty, and courage.
There are only men in this movie, but women can appreciate it and learn a lot from it.
All the actors are wonderful
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I still only vaguely remember that I saw that for the first time at the cinema with my former boyfriend... Not even realising that Orlando was in it. (well, same happened with LotR and I needed until 2003 that he had finally caught my attention *snort*) And I remember that Eric Bana kind of caught my attention there... You have to know, I AM as slow as a snail when it comes to these things. *LMAO* But of course I purchased the movie on DVD then (after years of having gotten my wires crossed) and I have to say that I also love this movie! It's tough, though... but it could have been worse being an anti-war movie. I've seen worse movies, referring to gore and violence...

But I would not say this movie was actually suitable for a "girlie" fan... I simply doubt it would meet a "girly's" expectation... it's very dark and hard... nightmarish even I would say, if someone's a little bit sensitive.

Last edited by Beriawen; June 23rd, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriawen View Post
But I would not say this movie was actually suitable for a "girlie" fan... I simply doubt it would meet a "girly's" expectation... it's very dark and hard... nightmarish even I would say, if someone's a little bit sensitive.
More the stuff for real women eh Beri!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Buried Alive by Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andnolewen View Post
That just reminded me of 300-only Spartan women give birth to real men! or something...
Surely it's good to watch a variety of films?I'll be honest I haven't got through all of BHD yet ,I know,but I will! It doesn't appeal to me,for some reason,I like Ridley Scott,I like violence it's more I've had other things to watch first,I will watch especially now that some of you think it's so good
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Did that sound like that? I meant to say... Well, *cough* okay... sexy boys to ogle... but the background to that... is so not really for girlies only... eh... *thinks of Troy* okay, that was gorish... Even LotR was gorish at some parts... KoH was gorish... AH whatever... Troy, LotR and KoH were sort of... ancient "fantasy"-massacres... wheras BHD was real, modern war... okay, only LotR was true fantasy-masacre... KoH was sort of real... Troy's a myth... partly true... (....) ah, just forget it. That just did not make any sense at all.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriawen View Post
Did that sound like that?
Real woman as in a woman who looks a bit further than -well let's say this politely- her cell phone.

btw BHD is LOADED with eyecandy!
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:24 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
btw BHD is LOADED with eyecandy!
*cough* Hoot. *cough*

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:57 PM
hugging Nygel and Logan

Just throwing my two cents in here, as I've had cousins in Iraq and knew guys who went to Mog (while I was in high school) , it's very realistic and very scary for someone like me (who loves to watch war flicks and spy flicks) to watch. I think that's because it's so darn real to me, that I knew people there, know people fighting for us now, that every time I watch it, I cry. And rightly so, I think. If I don't cry at the end, then shame on me. Those brave men gave their lives to defend not only us but each other. Never leave a man behind. Yeah, Orli's not in it very much, but he's the start to a very bad day and I don't even think his character was 18 yet. There was something about his date of birth that McGregor's character had a problem with.

I would suggest something lighter, like LOTR or Pirates if you just want to oogle Orli.

BTW- my cousin says fast roping is one of the harder things to do as a Marine or Delta, so no wonder why Orli's character fell. He also said that writing the dreaded "Letter Home" is the hardest. Thank God we never had to read his.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Passionately Enthralled

^ Well, yeah... it's based on a real story... so that's exactly what I would say... just for ogling this would not do that film any justice at all... my opinion...
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Saw an interview a few nights ago on PBS where Charlie Rose was interviewing Jerry Bruckheimer about his movies. He talked about Black Hawk Down, and they showed a clip..the clip of Orlando tumbling out of the helicopter. He was talking about actors and directors that he chooses, that they may not be appreciated by critics and reviewers, but he chooses them because he sees their giftings and talent.
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
In Love

I remember seeing this when it came into theatres, twice actually. I went both times with all girls and shockingly none of us bothered to flinch. I think one friend said it the best. It was something like, yes it is a brutal movie to watch but it is only a part of what the men and woman there had to face.

My Uncle was in Somalia during that time with the US army I believe it was, I remember him telling stories of what it was and then watching this movie. It really kind of makes you stop and think about a lot of things. I love a movie that can make you stop to think and ultimately appreciate what it is you have in your life.

It was graphic as hell, in true Ridley Scott fashion, but I believe what gets me is knowing that a lot of those actors potrayed real men (Eric Bana's character was on a game show not too long ago) who went through this and saw what happened. I am sure as graphic as the movie is, even it is sugar coated.

It tells a story about hardships, friendships and just how horrible war can be for those on either side. I think it has a lot that you can take away from it once you actually sit and watch it. It's certainly not for those who can't deal with blood, death and destruction.

So, if you've never seen it and only want to watch it for Orlando...rent the dvd and go to scene selction, find his scenes and be done with it :-D
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM
besotted with buttons

Watched this again last night, had been on the TV the night before but with so many ads it was just impossible *rolls eyes

Despite, or perhaps because of the brutality in part, I wanted my son to watch it. He is very much into those XBox war things, and actually I think some real context of war, confusion, loss and sheer awful ness is a good thing.
It isn't just gory, it also shows part of what war is like and I think is comendable for that. The soldiers aren't necessarily heroes, they are humans in a nightmare and sometimes doing heroic things in circumstances that not all of them would chose.
Of course we are meant to feel for them- you can't but help it- and in a way that would be my only critical point about the film, we don't get to meet the humans on the other side, in fact the almost swarming mass is a stark contrast to these boys. There are some poignant moments- when the old man walks infront of the jeep with a dead child in his arms for instance, but not a lot.
The figures speak for them selves 1000 Somalis and 19 americans dead.

Whatever your political views on the presence of the army/UN there in the first place this is a good film- it gives a sense of the chaos of fighting, the stomach churning fear and apocalypse now style horror.
IMHO

And Bana looks good!!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old December 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM
at world´s end and beyond

hey Nuit, I agree with you, this is a film I always watch from beggining to end, even when Orlando´s part ends so quickly. I mean, I watched it for the first time because of him but then I watched it entirely because I loved it. Ok, "love" is not the best word to use to describe it, but this film is so intense, so real, and the production it has is amazing, is impossible not to watch and rewatch every time I find it on tv, and in some way, "enjoy" it.