Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > At World's End

Old May 21st, 2011, 05:21 AM
In Love

I knew from the start that I wouldn't care about seeing this one. But I'm curious, aside from the "slapping" bit, did the "kick, shoot or blast some kind of pully system to yank Jack out of a dangerous situation" bit make it into this one?
Old May 21st, 2011, 05:51 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

Well, yes. Jack and Angelica are cornered by the Navy, so they kick something and it makes them fall through and into the water.

I think this one is right above Dead Man's Chest for me. I loved the mermaids being dangerous sirens almost.

And Phillip is nothing like Will as mentioned. Syrena isn't like Elizabeth either.

I liked Angelica because she's a full blown pirate woman and a match for Jack.

Keith Richards was good, especially his line about the Fountain.

As mentioned, I just missed the characters. Not just Will and Elizabeth, but Marty, Cotton, and some of the star animals, etc.

And I got to see the darling Duke in 3D as well

Last edited by Guin Sparrow; May 21st, 2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: adding
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:13 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Thank you for the reviews Ladies. It seems that all the story-lines and characters which made POTC 1,11 and 111 so memorable are no more.

It does my heart good to learn that people of good taste and common sense, viz. OLovers are, by and large, giving OST a swerve. In AWE, when I fast forward through all the scenes where Sparrow hogs the screen, it is amazing how tight the scripts become and, for me, enjoyment of the movie is quadrupled. Yeah! Cap'n Jack has become boringly predictable and OST, without Will, holds no interest for me. And there is to be a #5? Yikes!
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:46 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

Quote:
. It seems that all the story-lines and characters which made POTC 1,11 and 111 so memorable are no more.
I wouldn't say that True, I missed the characters as did everyone else. There are some things I would've changed, too.

However, it was hugely enjoyable.
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:49 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Dipping my oar in here as I have just come home from seeing the film with my daughter. We both enjoyed it. I liked that it was a different film from the previous three, it didn't try to replace anyone nor continue the previous storyline. I'm glad Orlando's moved on to different things and I didn't really miss him if I'm honest; I'm looking forward to seeing him in his new projects. I didn't like the ferociousness of the mermaids I have to confess but I loved Barbossa and the way Angelique was introduced. I was entertained like I expected to be; both I and my daughter liked this film better than Dead Man's Chest.

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:06 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Enjoying reading about the different takes on OST. I can't bring myself to pay to see it, not without Orlando and the crew... not even for the slight chance of seeing the Duke in 3-D. That may be how Disney is trying to grab the Orlando fans back for this one...by tempting me..er us..with the slight chance of seeing the Duke.

I will most likely see the film, just not sure when. Definitely not opening weekend. The mermaids are intriguing.
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

To each his own, and if the film has been enjoyed then that is the main thing. IMHO POTC #4 was made to cash in on the financial success of the previous films. The horrible thought Disney could be using the 3M trailer as a lure to Will fans, is even more reason to keep my distance.
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:34 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

We didn't see the 3M trailer...

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:19 AM
Adoring

I can to the OB fandom as a result of the Pirates and my love for Johnny. I had never seen LOTR until much later and as a result of this board's comments finally did. I loved Orlando as Will and did miss him in POTC OST. However, I enjoyed the movie last night with my daughter. If you are looking for high theater this is not the movie for you. If Captain Jack makes you laugh then you will have a jolly good romp. So I came away last night having enjoyed a night with my daughter and laughing at Captain Jack.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
kissing will turner !

i saw ost and i so much it was so funny i loved it !!!!!!!!!!!
jack is back in ful force !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO JOHNNY
i loved the jack/angie couple !!!!!!!!!!
the music is beautiful
but i missed seeing my dear will as we all do

sig set by Nenya thanks darling
i love you William Turner!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
Homeward Bound

Just came from watching it with my daughter as well. We both loved the mermaids and I especially liked the story line with Syrena the mermaid and Philip. If they do a 5th Pirate film I hope they bring those two characters back. The only thing I was a bit disappointed was the last bit with Jack and Gibbs. I don't want to spoil too much of it but it has to do with getting back the Black Pearl. I really like that ship and I feel that it is as much of a character as Jack and Barbosa. Barbosa is something else in this film. I really like his character and hope he stays around for a long time. Great film and hope to see them do lots more of them. Hopefully bringing the other characters back from time to time. I remember in Pirates 2 how much I had missed those two guards who were in the first one and then became Pirates at the end of the third. Can't remember their names but I was so happy they brought them back. Hope they do the same for some of the other characters. Overall rating I give is Spectacular.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Awaiting a warrior prince

I saw this movie last weekend and had to go home and watch POTC3 to get the bad out of my head.
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

oh my. sorry to hear that.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Mirkwood Archer

Location: Sixth tree to the left of the sleeping Ent, Eryn Lassgalen
Well. Hubby is a pirates fanatic and LOVES Captain Jack, so I saw the movie last night. It definitely suffered from a lack of Will. Of course we waited until the very last of the credits just in case, but not a glimpse. Otherwise it was good. I won't go further in case of spoilers. But I'll answer any questions anyone has.

Last edited by Dairwendan; May 29th, 2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM
OrlyB&BenBfangrl

Just saw it yesterday. It was good, with the 3d effects and all... but I missed Orlando as Will and Kiera as Elizabeth!! GAH... the mermaid and Missionary storyline didn't really fit in! Bah I'd pick a blacksmith over a missionary any day, thank you very much! In the sense of who's handsomer...
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I saw the film yesterday night. It was a bit dissapointed. Of course I also missed Will and Elisabeth. In terms of script is a bit far fetched IMHO. 3D effects are good, but I saw lots of scenes from the other three previous movies. Copy scenes, the same movements in other scenaries. That's all. I think the great success was to have all the characters from the first movie together and go on with a story so far as possible. But I think the movie was not original and that captain Sparrow repeats himself time after time. I knew Keira and Orlando were a wonderful and necessary part of the story.
And without an spoiler!!!
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Alive...and kicking

I asked some people here that have seen the movie and more or less they coincide with the opinion of this critic here....
Quote:
Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom are nowhere to be seen in this movie and they are missed. Cruz and company are not good replacements.
Quote:
To spice things up Director Rob Marshall, taking the reins from Gore Vernbinski, brings in Penelope Cruz as Angelica, the daughter of Blackbeard (Ian McShane). This is supposed to add some heat to the film but in actuality Cruz and Depp have very little charisma together. Plus she was pregnant while making the movie so a lot of her scenes take place in blurry action sequences and not in romantic interludes with Depp.
I'm not going to see that....though we're flodded with promotion/publicity, at least not paying for it...

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:28 PM
Utterly Obsessed

My friends are not going and many of my acquaintances too but I've heard from the couple of former colleagues of mine the unflattering response like: "I want my time and money back," "Why did they bother to make the movie without Will Turner?" Overall it came close to the POV like these ( Att: the reviews contain spoilers): http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...-series?page=1
http://tinyurl.com/5wt9ctz
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/p...review-cannes/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...es-review.html

The girl who works for Empire and wrote the review on OST posted on Twitter:
Quote:
"Hey, the Pirates embargo has finished. So I can tell you it's a massive disappointment and will make you miss Orlando Bloom."
The quote from the article she wrote:
Quote:
"As for the newcomers, it is a surprise to learn how much we miss Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom. Their straight-arrow lovers gave the series balance, and the young pretenders here — missionary Phillip (Claflin) and mermaid Syrena (Astrid Berges-Frisbey) — don’t get enough of a look-in to fill their boots."
The whole article is here: http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=136522

@shenanyginz: JD agreed to do the 4th from the beginning. His "hesitation" appeared only after his main supporter and the main "paycheck provider," now the former Chairman of the Disney Studios was sent into retirement. When it was announced and he said that he has "a crack in his enthusiasm." This statement was just in time to be the win-win situation for him at that moment. The studio knew that OB and KK don't want to continue and he was only 1 out of the 3 principals left. What would you do if you were a Studio exec at that point?

BTW, If you know at least one of his interviews about OST where he supported OB or KK with his words in any way rather than saying once when asked: "Yeah, they are not in it," - please, give me a link to it. Note: OB said several times the nice words about him doing the 4th.

@N-Nan: To answer your question: It was never for the public but it's there. However, a few things are available for the public to notice, if one pays attention.

It didn't appear in one day. Shortly: JB behaved like a jerk and continued to do so even now. F. ex., he behaves like Will and Liz never existed and like they weren't the main characters but only Sparrow was. BTW, I've seen people were asking the questions on Twitter about Will and Liz and he ignores it; and he knows that people have questions about Will's fate. As I said, he wants to prove (among other things as well) that POTC are "fine" without Will and Liz and the main "proof" for it he sees in the big BO.

The details are between him and JB. But the guys who told you about the hell on the set told you the truth. And the biggest part of that hell was created by the greediness and ambitions of JB. Sadly, the POTC success made his head spin. I won't be surprised if he would be diagnosed one day with Mania De Grandeur. Someone complained that he didn't want to hear anyone's advices during the production and post-production of AWE, etc., etc.

The ending in AWE was tightly connected to the situation that involved the rift between the actors and the prod. Verbinsky was pressed hard by the writers' inability to produce the coherent script in time. The writers were concerned more about "pleasing the prod" than about the characters. The whole thing is a mess. What started as a disagreement, which is often a regular thing during the work in progress, ended the way when OB was tired. Of everything. He said he felt "empty," remember? Add to this that his back probably was in a dire need of attention.
Let me remind you that right after AWE, JB was going to start Prince of Persia and we had the info here and there that OB is offered the lead. You remember how it ended, I think.

I can also say that OB didn't want Will's character to be ruined. He worked too hard to create him and to stay true to the character even with the disaster called AWE script. If you read his interviews when DMC was coming out and after AWE you can notice the serious change in his mood about working on POTC.

I have to say after the things I've heard and seen about this my respect to Orlando grew even more. Guys, you should know that you've made a right choice being his fans - the man deserves your respect and more.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

Quote:
Shortly: JB behaved like a jerk and continued to do so even now.
Well, I will comment on this situation. I will just say that if Jerry doesn't attempt to bring back Orlando and Keira or resolve their fates to the fans who love them, I think he will have an angry mob of fans
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

I was one of those people on Twitter who kept asking Jerry about Orlando and Keira, especially Orlando. Gore was quoted as saying the only way he would do another is if someone put a gun in his mouth. I think the two movies back to back, in hurricane season in the Caribbean, and all the complications they had to overcome within that deadline, was enough for them.

It is irritating that Jerry, and on commercials even for COTBP, that only Jack Sparrow is promoted, but that is because they are trying really hard to sell this movie. It hasn't done poorly, but it hasn't been a blockbuster either. They will know that Orlando was and is, and always will be, just as important to Pirates of the Caribbean as Depp (also Keira). Even people who are not Orlando fans, notice and comment that "something is missing".

I will most likely save my doubloons and see it on DVD. That's okay with me. Thanks for the info.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:39 AM
Head Over Heels

I saw the movie about two weekends ago. Overall, it was okay. Captain Jack was his usual crazy self. But during the whole film, I kept feeling like something was missing. It just didn't feel "right" not having the whole gang there. Not just Will and Elizabeth, but other characters like Pintel and Ragetti, whom were some of my favorites. I didn't really like the mermaid and missionary romance either. It didn't make up for Will and Elizabeth's absence. I stayed after the credits too hoping Will would show up, but there was nothing. I don't believe they were even referenced in the movie. I don't want to spoil anything, but if there is another film made, I'm glad I may not have to see the same people again. I wouldn't miss them. If I had to grade the movie as a whole, I would give it a C. Definitely missed Orlando and Keira. What the made the movies so great for me in the first place was the cast, not Captain Jack alone.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:22 AM
Adoring

Come back Will Turner!
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:58 AM
Passionately Enthralled

=/ I guess I'll wait for the DVD release to check this one out... and maybe not even give it a peek at all. Funny enough, if I were to watch the movie I think I'd miss Gore the most. Changing directors to me is like signing a death warrant for a franchise.