Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > Dead Man's Chest

Old July 8th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Lysistrata

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4ever
whoa whoa whoa...i wont be able to see this til next week. spill. why and how does this happen?
You sure you want to know?

Spoiler

Last edited by Lysistrata; July 8th, 2006 at 05:40 AM.
Old July 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Nienna

I really enjoyed the movie, I can't wait to see it again tomorrow!

I thought Orlando was wonderful, Johnny was hilarious but Keira I found to be only so-so.

Bring on the third movie.
Old July 8th, 2006, 07:24 AM
luv4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysistrata
You sure you want to know?

Spoiler
sounds alright i guess...lol...not what i expected. but i guess i'll wait to see it.
Old July 8th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Suze

Orlando was the best part of the movie for me! He was fantastic! I'm not biased or anything. No really, I thought he did as great job as Will.

Honestly, I was disappointed with this movie, I was expecting the same feel as the first one. This one felt a bit cold to me. Gotta agree with Jedi Priestess.

Oh, and I probably chuckled at 2 of the 12 rum jokes thrown in there.
Old July 8th, 2006, 08:13 AM
sweet.luvin

I feel like..i dunno...they added a bit too many hints back to the first movie...like yeah maybe the first couple were funny but then you were just kinda like "I get it..lets move on" lol I think the problem was they were trying to make it more of a Comedy movie than an action adventure movie. Still LOVED the movie..but...a little too over hyped for the end result.
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
mcamp81

Ok...

So, as I said before, I went to a midnight showing and literally ten minutes before the end of the film, as the Kraken was attacking the Pearl, the projector broke. They weren't able to fix it and we all had to leave without seeing that FANTASTIC ending.

I went last night, (after getting just two hours of sleep, working my x-ray job for 8 hours) to an 8:30 showing. Wouldn't you know the damn projector got stuck during the previews! I was ready to rip someones eyes out. After a 45 minute wait for them to fix it..they finally got the show on the road. Thankfully it was smooth sailing (no pun intended) after that.

What I love about Pirates....

I think they could not have found a better Jack Sparrow than Johnny Depp. Johnny took something that on paper looked like any other pirate I am sure, and made him into this classic icon. Jack's enterance...perfect Jack Sparrow. He just is so right on...not just with the delivery of Jack, but with the little things he does as well while he is in the back of a screen shot. He is ALWAYS switched on. God love him.

Keira. I can't exactly say what it is that annoys me about her in this film..but I do know it's something. Something in her face annoys me immensly. Maybe I am being unfair and grumpy in my lack of sleep mood. I dunno. I do appreciate that Elizabeth is more pirate that anyone in this film, as she was in the first Pirates. She is cunning and uses people to get what she wants when she wants it without people really realising that she is doing such. Tia Dalma said it best... What vexes all men. Ah the power of a woman.

Speaking of Tia Dalma, hopefully you caught the locket sitting on her table. Might look familiar when in Davy Jones' cabin. Can anyone guess who the woman is that scorned good ol' Davy? I think Naomi did a fantastic job at the portrayal of this new and intriguing character. I have to say...I love the sclera. And her teeth.

Kudos to the doggy.. My own pup is quite sick at the moment, and my family spent much of the day crying of deciding if we want to put her to sleep or keep her alive selfishly today. So seeing a dog, I was worried how my family would react. Thank you Dog for bringing joy to our canine loving souls.

Barbosa, I knew him at the sound of his boots on wood. Can't wait for P-3. He and his darn apple .

Who else am I forgetting...oh yea..that little known actor Orlando Bloom... . I must say..even though I love Orlando, and his work, my heart belongs to Jack Sparrow in this series. Will, even though Orlando tried I'm sure to loosen him, is tighter than a geri curl. He may be taking charge..but he is still Will.. still honorable and at times just plain thick. And I'll tell you another thing...after the whole Elizabeth and Jack thinger near the end.. He needs to give lil' Liz a what for! Pfftt.. poor Will.

Sorry I couldn't be bothered with spoilers...for those of you who have seen this film, you will understand exactly what I am talking about throughout my post. I wish I could say I am going to go to sleep...but work (a double shift) calls. Hopefully we will be slow enough for me to sit back and replay over and over the ripping of pirate shirts, making bare backed young Turners.
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Human News Ticker

I was worried that i wasn't going to enjoy it as much as the first from reading some of the comments on here but i was pleasantly suprised. I enjoyed this just as much as the first. It wasnt a perfect movie by any means but it definately entertained me and thats all i ask when i go to the movies and i can't wait to go see it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna

I thought Orlando was wonderful, Johnny was hilarious but Keira I found to be only so-so.
I was suprised by how much Orlando had improved between PotC1 and PotC 2. I agree about Keira too, i just found something off about her in this one that wasn't there in PotC1.

I know i'm bias but Will Turner was the character i began to like more in this one while i liked Jack and Elizabeth much more in the first one.
I liked Orlando's performance in the first one but was never overly fussed on the character while after this one i actually cared about Will.

So in short i give it a thumbs up
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM
unbraided elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediGoddess
I thought Norrington actually became an interesting character.
I agree, I really liked what they did with Norrington too.

Quote:
*sings* I've got a jar of diiirrrrt! I've got a jar of diiirrrrt!
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Tinkerbelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.luvin
my FAVORITE part was...

Spoiler

Tell me about it!!! That was something I was NOT expecting!!!! I thought the movie was FANTASTIC and I loved everyone performance. I thought everybody was halairious. I was surprised by the ending for a moment I

Spoiler

I thought it was way better than the first!!!

Spoiler
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Moosemom

My family and I saw it last night. The theater was almost full but they had loads of different times.

I have mixed feelings about it. I loved the first one but this had so much going on you could hardly keep up. It seemed disjointed to me. Orlando was ok but not one of his greatest movies. However, the special effects were incredible.

S
Old July 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Tripped Into Divine

I saw it at a midnight showing Thursday night .. and I loved it! I didn't think it was AS good as the first one .. but it's great in it's own way! I don't think I ever stopped laughing during the Cannibal Island scene. Overall the movie was totally action packed .. and REALLY funny! Like someone already mentioned .. it seemed like they didn't have a lot of Jack in this one .. but I didn't mind seeing more Will! Elizabeth's character kinda annoyed me though. Her hissy fit on the island was kinda overdone. lol I love the island/big wheel scene though. Then the very end when HE came down the stairs .. omg .. it's great!! Had the crowd cheering! I can't wait for the 3rd one now! But yeah, I'm gonna be seeing this one again VERY soon!

.............................Ben Barnes Fan | My LiveJournal | I Heart Jake
Old July 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM
manwathiel

ok so i saw the movie yesterday. i loved it. it was awsome. i do have to say in my opinion i was funnier than the 1st which was good i liked that. i love all the things they refered to from the 1st movie. i do have to say i was kinda disapointed in jack's entrance. everyone from the movie keep saying it was so good and it was really great but to me it wasn't as good as i was expecting. but in all i absolutly love the movie, but omg!! the ending was soooo surprising to me. i was not expecting that. it makes waiting for the 3rd more painfull. but i can get through it.

so anyways great movie!!!!
Old July 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM
texasreina

I've seen the movie twice and I just loved this movie. Johnny was amazing of course, Keira was ok she did piss me off but I won't go into that right now. The important part is Will, Orlando did an spectacular job with the part he was given. I hate that they edited alot of his scenes, especially when he was with his father. And the love scenes with Elizabeth the writers didn't give them time together. You never heard either of them say they loved each other. How is that. Come on give Will some lovin. The action scenes were just freakin awesome. Crazy but brilliant. Gore you are a genius. How he was able to keep all the actions in his mind. I'm still in awe. Olrando really took charge and really deliver on his part. To me he was the real hero. Hope the third one is just as great. And that's my opinion.
Old July 8th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Passionately Enthralled

It's been a full day since I saw POTC2, and I have had time to digest all the things I saw and appreciate them all the more. As I said earlier (right after seeing the movie), I thought it was great -- just as I expected. Will was awesome -- it was his movie this time around:

Spoiler
What a storyline, and what a great performance by Orlando. I loved it !

The only thing that spoiled it a little for me was knowing ahead of time most of the things that were going to happen. Because I watched all the trailers, promotion spots, and read everything I could about the movie ahead of time, I wasn't as swept up by the action as I might have been. I had seen the bit about him being captured by the cannibals, fighting the duel on the rolling wheel, etc., and had even heard some of the funny lines -- so instead of being surprised by everything, I was sort of waiting for these things to happen, and it took the "edge" off, if you know what I mean. Maybe for POTC3, I won't watch anything ahead of seeing the movie, or read any spoilers, cause I want the whole experience to be fresh and exciting.

But that's not going to stop me from seeing POTC2 again this week -- maybe this time I'll look for things that I missed when I was so busy oogling Will.
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM
MzTachikawa

I saw the midnight showing and again this morning, and I loved it. It was more enjoyable the first time around, but still good the second viewing. It has a totally different feel than the first movie, and it's much funnier (freakin hilarious I thought ). I like this film better just because of Will's character, and how different he is. I know some of you were talking about his take charge attitude in this one, and I love that.

And wow, I so surprised of all the screen time he got! That was the best surprise for me (despite the flogging bit...but...yeah) and the ending as well. It couldn't have had a better ending I think. And I actually liked that Elizabeth is more into Jack in this film. For some reason I just like them together . But poor Will, all that stuff he did to save her and she betrays him.
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM
sored2me

Hello everyone. I've been working, working, and working some more and haven't been posting much but I had to get this in after seeing DMC!

POTC, Dead Man's Chest is not, POTC 2. It is an altogether separate, wild, Disney ride, that you take with familiar companions to a different, complex and sometimes darker location.

Making a sequel, is never easy. You never live up the to expectations that each and every viewer takes into the theater with them the second time around. It is especially problematic when three years has passed since your original effort, one that has become etched in the minds of fans and followers. That alone guarantees you will not make everyone happy, no matter how earnest your efforts.

In POTC Dead Man's Chest, the Director and writers have opted to begin this story by grasping the threads of the “Happily ever after ending” of the first movie and severing them cleanly. The wedding day of Will and Elizabeth has been halted by the arrival of the most pompous git, you could imagine, who I have dubbed “Lord Stick Up His Bum.” This lovely gentleman sets Will on a journey to find something Lord Stick up His Bum, obviously doesn't have the skill to obtain himself, in order to save Elizabeth from the gallows. Meanwhile, in a dark and dismal place where pirates are imprisoned and left to starve, rot and die, Jack is after something of importance to him and his future, provided he really knows what he wants. And thus begins an interwoven tale of love, honor, betrayal, desperation, myth, magic, and piracy.

It's been said that there are multiple plots and subplots but I don't fully agree with that. There is in reality, one thing that nearly everyone is after, for one reason or another. The chest and what it holds. Yes, The Governor is desperate to spare Elizabeth and yes, Tia clearly has her own agenda but in the end, what every protagonist, hero, and antagonist is looking for, to fulfill their needs, resides in that chest. They all take different routes to get there but what is in the chest, is what matters.

What I found complex were the ever shifting alliances, the blurring of the line between what a man can do and what a man can't...and a woman as well. Characters make decisions that have serious consequences. Some of these decisions are made without realizing those consequences while others are made with fully understanding what the end result might be. In that respect, DMC is a chess game of emotions and survival. (A side note here. I've thought about this a lot and I have to be honest. In the same situation, considering what Elizabeth discovers about Jack and what he did to Will, I think I might have done the same thing to the Rat B*****d.)

DMC is also damned funny, outrageous, filled with subtle and not so subtle references to the first movie. My favorite is when
Spoiler
Seeing as how this comes after Will has pulled his backside out of the fire, repeatedly through out the movie, it's great moment.

Other great moments are the bit with the bird cages full of pirates, hanging over the gorge and their subsequent escape, it's riotous. Jacks gift to Tia, priceless. Will, snared by the natives and after the waterwheel comes to rest, hysterical.

There are slow points and miss steps as well. Pintel and Rigetti are funny but not so funny they have to do their own side bits so often. Could they have explained liars dice better? I'm clueless. Tis was difficult to understand. Either lighten the accent or use subtitles. Elizabeth in the beach yelling at the guys didn't cap the situation like I think they hoped. The pace needed to be picked up in other areas as well. Over all though, I thought it was well put together.

Performance wise, I personally found Orlando's to be the stronger of the cast performances. Will was the stand out character for me. Will is more commanding, more authoritative, and shows the greater range, going from the sincere earnestness in the prison with Elizabeth, and with his father on the Dutchman, to the brash bravado while hanging upside down from a tree, to barking orders while taking on the Kraken. I feel Orlando really nailed Will and gave a very solid performance.

Keria was well settled as Elizabeth, although, Elizabeth is a difficult character. She's effected so many lives in an adverse way by the end of the movie, it's hard to like her. Johnny has Jack nailed to perfection. Although, I have to say, I was becoming rather fed up with Jack this time. I found him to be too predictable and bordering on tedious at times. Norrington. I didn't feel was really believable. He sounded angry and looked like a rum pot but I just didn't feel anything from him.

DMC, is a movie that ends, as many two act plays, with everyone in turmoil, issues to be resolved, and no clear answers as to what the outcome will be. Everything is left hanging save for one thing, we know what was in the chest and we know where it is.

And to be certain, unlike the first movie, DMC is act one of a two act play. We will have to wait until next May to see how it all shakes out. In the mean time, we can enjoy what we've been given, look for the many little clues and hidden meanings they might have, talk, discuss and ponder at length.

Red

Last edited by sored2me; July 8th, 2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:19 PM
MzTachikawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sored2me
Elizabeth in the beach yelling at the guys didn't cap the situation like I think they hoped.
I thought it capped the situation perfectly, went along with Pintel and Rigetti's conversation on why the guys were fighting and I thought her yelling only added to the humor of the scene.
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:22 PM
sweet.luvin

Going again TONIGHT! WOOOO HOOO!! MORE ORLANDO FOR ME...

hahah My LORD that man has a hot back haha

(weird but you'll know what i mean when u see it)
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:27 PM
MzTachikawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.luvin
hahah My LORD that man has a hot back haha
Weird, but yeah he really does
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Nimue

Finally saw it today and I absolutely LOVED it! Personally, I liked it even better than the 1st one and I loved the 1st one. My favorite part was the whole bone cage sequence. I haven't laughed that much at a movie in a long time.

As far as performances..Johnny was great, Keira was so-so and I totally agree with Red about Orlando:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sored2me

Performance wise, I personally found Orlando's to be the stronger of the cast performances. Will was the stand out character for me. Will is more commanding, more authoritative, and shows the greater range, going from the sincere earnestness in the prison with Elizabeth, and with his father on the Dutchman, to the brash bravado while hanging upside down from a tree, to barking orders while taking on the Kraken. I feel Orlando really nailed Will and gave a very solid performance.

Red
I also loved Tia Dalma. I hope she's in more of the 3rd movie.

The only part that got tedious for me was in Tortuga. I think they could have cut some of that out and been fine. But I can get past it since the rest of the movie was so good.

And yes, Orlando has one very hot back!

I can't wait to go see it again!
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Eowadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimue

And yes, Orlando has one very hot back!
Nimue you won't believe it i sat in the theater praying he would turn around i probably would have if he had! but alas he did not, we can always hope next time around!

How many people had audience that gave a cheer and round of applause at the end? i did and it almost surreal, i can only imagine what OB, JD, or KK would feel like in that situation!
Old July 9th, 2006, 02:02 AM
rebornteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowadia
How many people had audience that gave a cheer and round of applause at the end?
My daughter and I went to the midnight showing and everyone was cheering and clapping like crazy at the end of the movie. People dressed up like pirates and wenches and one guy even brought a real horn as part of his costume. The theater was completely full and we ended up in the front row. I came home with a HUGE headache because we were so close to the screen but it was worth it. The movie was great and we might go back today to see it again.

RBT
Old July 9th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I saw it today and my God - I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were all fabulous but Will was
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Tammi

Finally got to see this, with all the mixed reviews I was wondering how I'd perceive it...I loved it!! I mean it has Orlando and Johnny in it, how can you go wrong! I was there to see them and a fun, entertaining movie, and that's exactly what I got. Loved so many different parts of it...the only thing I have to complain about is, you couldn't understand what they were saying at times.

Loved the ending, thought it was perfect and a great set up for #3.

Our theater was filled and the line for the next movie was huge! Heard it was the biggest opening day ever!! Awesome!

Looking forward to seeing Capt. Jack and Will again.
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Trojan Queen

After reading all 3 pages of posts, I have to say I agree with Red wholeheartedly. I went to a midnight showing on Thursday and was too tired to do an evaluation. I went a second time with my husband on Friday. I am thankful for Red's observations. I'm still trying to recover from 3 hours of sleep Thursday night and I can't even concentrate long enough to type this post! Thank God, Red is so articulate. She said exactly what I was feeling but was unable to put into words. Thank you, Red!

Trojan Queen