Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > Dead Man's Chest

Old July 7th, 2006, 01:20 PM
sparklingspanky

Although some people were a little disappointed in Orlando and the way he said his dialogue, i really thought he did a great job, and can't see what you mean by him not delivering his lines well? i thought the hole film was brilliant, and i think orlando'z acting was really good, but hey, thats jst me
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Trojan Queen

Well, I had 3 hours sleep and I have to be at work in 45 minutes but it was worth it! No time to say alot but I couldn't leave without letting everyone know that I absolutely loved the movie. I had never been to a midnight showing and I was surprised at the amount of people that showed up. Also the range of ages, everything from complete families to couples and tons of teenagers (especially guys)Aaarrgh! I thought Orlando did a fantastic job!

TQ
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

well........the opinions about orlando's performance is mixed.... I will have to check that myself than ......I'm going the 18th....can't go sooner. It opens here on the 13th.
But I think I just will enjoy the movie that is what it is about. Not enjoying just Orlando. But that is my opinion. Love to see him on big screen again though!
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Two more hours.....and I'm off to seeing for myself. My local newspaper reviewer only gave it 2-1/2 stars out of four -- saying that it was too overstuffed with fun and excitement (??? that makes it a bad movie ???). He enjoyed it but thought it was too much !!!

That sounds like a great fun movie to me -- one that will give me my money's worth !!!
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
vmob84

I saw the movie last night! It was a great fun movie, but there was way too much going on and it was way too long! The scenery and action scenes were amazing! Johnny Depp was hilarious as always, though they needed more Jack in the movie, not enough Jack cause there was so many subplots!! To be honest though I didn't care for Orlando or Keira in this movie, but for different reasons each. Keira's character Elizabeth Swann was way more tough in the first one despite the fact that she dresses up as a boy in this one! In this movie, Elizabeth has her cool moments but its completley ruined as she's just annoying because in between those cool moments she does a lot of whining and being too much of a damsel in distress despite being dressed up as a boy, good god at one point she throws the stupidest hissy fit. I think its mostly just the writers fault, though she could well have toned down her performance so she didn't come off as so whiney. Also she turns into a cold hearted ***** by the end, she's just not very likeable in this one. Suprisingly, she wasn't in it all that much, she didn't have that much screen time. I wasn't too happy with Orlando's performance too be honest, the writers went out of their way to make Will tougher and cooler in this movie, he performs the action sequences so despite the fact he's doing crazy things he seems almost elegant and effortless. But then he opens his mouth and he gets it all wrong half the time. He just overracts I think is his problem, he needs to learn to get into character and be comfortable and natural in that character because he seems so awkward when he says his lines, he just doesn't seem to be able to get it. I was hoping to see an improvement from the first movie but sadly it didn't happen. He needs to relax on camera and say his lines without emphasizing each word, though there was some lines where he really got it. Anyways, its a really visually beautiful film, the locations they shot at were amazing! the cgi is pretty impressive too! Good film overall! Definitly buying this one on DVD too! :)
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Malene

It's interesting what you say about Elizabeth vmob,because I think I read somewhere that one of the writers said that the audience's reaction to Elizabeth in this movie is very crucial.Will they accept how she changes or not?
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Crazy in Love

Watched it with the OL girls last night (or this morning 12:00 am) and we had a BLAST! Contrary to some of you, I thought Orlando did great! I mean, it was the first time that I didn't cringe at his line delivery... I really thought he did great! Ugh, it makes me annoyed really how harsh some of you are. ANyway, opinions vary.
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:16 PM
vmob84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene
It's interesting what you say about Elizabeth vmob,because I think I read somewhere that one of the writers said that the audience's reaction to Elizabeth in this movie is very crucial.Will they accept how she changes or not?
I can see what they were trying to do, some of her actions are very pirate like, more so than Johnny. Especially at the end but they just couldn't pull it off. If they wanted to make her pirate like and a strong woman they shouldn't have made her so whiney in between. Elizabeth was all over the place, one minute she was acting cool and then the next she was a damsel distress, the next she was a whiny little girl. Her character was just badly written, and it seemed like Keira just went along with it so its a very scattered performance.

I know I'm not the only one here who's criticized Orlando's peformance, and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh in my opinion of Orlando's performance, but I wasn't trying to be. I'm entitled to my own opinion even if it doesn't meet up with yours, because I was cringing at ever other line that came out of his mouth. I think he would have made a great silent actor, but too bad they don't make those kinds of movies anymore. I don't mean to be harsh, I went in there really hoping he had improved but I'm sorry I was dissappointed.

Last edited by vmob84; July 7th, 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM
unbraided elf

I too saw the movie at the midnight showing last night. I agree with a lot of what's been said here. First off, I think there is a GREAT movie hiding inside the one I saw last night. This movie could use some judicious editing I feel. It's too long and takes to long to get interesting.

One major problem, especially if they are marketing this for kids is:

Spoiler

I think the director couldn't decide on whether he wanted a fun movie with a few dark moments or a dark movie with a few fun moments, because I think he got the latter. I felt it was very dark and unlike Barbossa who was a fun guy even though he was a pirate, Davy Jones is evil through and through.

Also, what happens to Will aboard the Flying Dutchman because of Jack was a bit hard to take. I just felt it was really heartless (no pun intended) which also added to the darkness of this movie. Also:
Spoiler

Jack was pretty much Jack. Elizabeth got on my nerves when she wasn't fighting.

But the character I liked most besides Jack? Norrington. Of all the characters that followed a story arc, I felt his was the most interesting. I just enjoyed watching him and he had several great lines and I'm paraphrasing here:

Spoiler

The last 1/3rd of the movie was where most of the action was and it moved fast and I enjoyed all the swordfighting and especially the wheel part. That fight will be a classic I think.

As far as Orlando's line delivery goes, I guess I'm just used to it not being very well done. He is absolutely great at physical stuff, maybe it's just the Received English or whatever they call it, that he's always doing that's the problem, because I didn't notice that Jack Davenport had a problem with it and I'm sure he was using it too. Most English actors are taught it.

Part three should be interesting with the appearance of a certain apple eating pirate and I wonder how Will and Elizabeth's romance will survive after he saw her kiss Jack?
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Malene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambayuun
Watched it with the OL girls last night (or this morning 12:00 am) and we had a BLAST! Contrary to some of you, I thought Orlando did great! I mean, it was the first time that I didn't cringe at his line delivery... I really thought he did great! Ugh, it makes me annoyed really how harsh some of you are. ANyway, opinions vary.
Amby.
To tell you the truth I feel like this is not O Love,but the Imdb message boards lately.
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Crazy in Love

Generally, critics thought Orlando was a better actor this time around and I think so too. What annoyed me was, and made me cringe, was actually the OSCAR NOMINATED Keira. She was a bit OVER THE TOP AT some scenes...

Orlando had a LOT of screentime, I can tell you that... and the FATHER-SON relationship added depth to the storyline.

I had a blast at Cannibal ISland. Every single scene there was hilarious.

Last edited by ambayuun; July 7th, 2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Tammi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggybelle
Two more hours.....and I'm off to seeing for myself. My local newspaper reviewer only gave it 2-1/2 stars out of four -- saying that it was too overstuffed with fun and excitement (??? that makes it a bad movie ???). He enjoyed it but thought it was too much !!!

That sounds like a great fun movie to me -- one that will give me my money's worth !!!
Well I have to say I'm so ready to be stuffed with fun and excitement! I see this tomorrow afternoon, can't wait. Interesting reviews on here.
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I just got back from the movie and I thought it was every bit as good as expected.....and more so. I loved all the action and thrills, but thought some of the gore was a little too graphic for little kids. That PG-13 rating means something here.

Jack was Jack....and delightful as always. He absolutely steals the movie again. I especially loved the "cannibal king" scene, and the finale

Spoiler

Kiera's Elizabeth was not quite as good a part as she had in the first movie....perhaps because I didn't care for the way it ended

Spoiler

ORLANDO WAS TERRIFIC -- HE HAD MUCH MORE TO DO IN THIS MOVIE THAN THE FIRST ONE -- AND HE NAILED THE PART ! I couldn't find any fault with his acting -- come on, this is not a picture for great acting -- most everything is over-the-top or playing it straight for Jack's big scenes. Whenever called upon to deliver serious acting, he was great (the scene with Elizabeth in the jail, and the dialogue with his father). I especially loved how he promised his father he would come back for him and the romantic scene with Elizabeth when they were reunited. He was so brave --I loved the way he boldly went about searching for Jack and the key, and then saved the day for all of them over and over again.

He looked so good -- mostly soaking wet !!! and had plenty of swordplay and daring-do (reminded me of Errol Flynn again). I would love to see him have his own swashbuckling movie. He was born to play these roles.

Obviously, much more is ahead for the three of them (Jack, Will and Elizabeth) so we will have to wait for Part 3 - The Ends of the Earth !!! It can't come soon enough for me.

Meanwhile, I have another visit to POTC2 scheduled for early next week !!!
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Eowadia

Just came back from the film and left with my jaw hanging open....the end will throw you for a loop and leave you wanting even more!!

Johnny was BRILLANT, this man is movie genius!!! Jack was just as nutty and even more cunning and tricksy than before, wanting it all for himself yet we still love him for some reason or another!

Our man Orlando was a little dry in some places and great in others, the jail scene was great and WARM and the scene when he is in the little boat helping Kiera down and the look he gives her is COLD, Will is still the dependable one of all of them, although he is using his head more! (Side note, i've come to the conclusion that Orlando is a director's actor only, he needs absolutely right director that can make him pull the emotions that he is capable of, we've had glimpses but haven't seen the whole show yet) Those how mentioned the floggin scene, i kept thinking TURN AROUND!

Keira is fab!! Looking pretty as norm but a tough chick in this one, a little mean towards the end, i mean how could she do that?

The locations were AMAZING!!! The special effects smashing would have not expected any less from the team of POTC! Music is grand! The film is truly a SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER!!

Can't wait to see bloopers and extras for this one!
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Lysistrata

I absolutely love this movie. I have so much to say about it I dont know where to begin. I love that they made this movie so dark. I know its Disney but I was just in awe of every minute of it. It did have a Empire Strikes Back feel to it.

I like that everyone had their own agenda.

Johnny is hilarious as usual.... especially at canniabal island.
Keira was funnier this time around.. a much stronger female presence.

Orlando. Hmmm, what can I say about Orlando. This movie made me fall in love with him and this character all over again.The moment that sticks out the most in my haed is whan he's looking at Lizzy after the thing between her and Jack. It was so cold and she couldnt even look him in the eye. Brilliant, I cant remember what he said to her after that but still it was cold. I felt bad for him though because he kept getting knock around so much. But Will was channeling his inner pirate which is very cool.

Some critics said the movie was over kill but I dont agree. IMO the worst thing about sitting in a movie that is 2 and a 1/2 hours is that it feel that way. With Pirates I was enjoying it so much that when it was over I wished I could jump to the third one right away.
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:21 AM
JediGoddess

Well I just got back......and well....I liked the first one better. This one had too much going on and I think they overdid it a bit on the comedy and the action. Not that they weren't good....but it was overdone. I thought Norrington actually became an interesting character. As for Orlando, he did alright. The whole thing in the ball cage was funny and then the post wheel scene was cute. I think he needs to do a comedy...he could do it if he chose the right one.

*sings* I've got a jar of diiirrrrt! I've got a jar of diiirrrrt!
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Pervy Picture Handler

Very interesting reviews ladies (and gents) - am so much looking forward to it.

The movie will start in Germany only at the 27th, so I'll see it in Holland first, where it opens next thursday ...
... so very much excited!!!!

~ Naz ~

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Utterly Obsessed

I came back from seeing DMC and I must say "Welcome back Pirates!" While the first one was alittle better as far as being more original, I think DMC is certainly on par with the first one. The one thing I agree with the critics is that certain scenes were a bit too long, especially in the beginning. They spent too much time with exposition that it took awhile for things to get going.

Johnny Depp of course was great. I agree that Keira could have been better in certain scenes, like
Spoiler

As for Orlando I thought he was good. Okay maybe it's not the caliber kind of performance that he gave in KOH or E-Town, but I definately noticed some improvement in his acting over the first POTC. Orlando seemed to have more presence this time around, and I liked how Will took charge when the Black Pearl was up against the Kracken. Yes I think his line delivery was a bit flat in some lines, and I would have liked more facial expression from him in a couple scenes:
Spoiler

Overall, I thought Orlando was fine. And he looked fine, very fine.

Wonderful Siggie made by the late great Leggybelle! I love you Mom and I miss you.

Beautiful Legolas icon made by Nel. Thank you so much!
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:24 AM
icywind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambayuun
Generally, critics thought Orlando was a better actor this time around and I think so too. What annoyed me was, and made me cringe, was actually the OSCAR NOMINATED Keira. She was a bit OVER THE TOP AT some scenes...
I agree totally. I also find it interesting how some people say they don't like Orlando's delivery, that it seems forced or overdone etc. (either in this movie or some of his others) but honestly, I think in half the movies I have seen her in Keira does the exact same thing, sounds the same etc. and yet, she hardly ever gets called out on it.

I would like to point out I am not Keira bashing at all, I do like her most of the time, but it just seems like there is something of a double standard.
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:55 AM
funybunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp81
I saw the potc midnight showing last night.....10 minutes before the movie was over...the PROJECTOR BROKE!!! Everyone in six sold out theaters has to come back to see the end.. boy were people steamed.
Wow that really sucks. I'm sorry. I went to the midnight showing too and in the middle of the previews the projector messed up and the whole audience started yelling. Everything was fine after that though. It was so worth the wait. But now I can't wait for the third installment. I'm going to go see DMC one or two more times, but then I want At World's End! I don't know if I can wait another year!! I might die of anticipation first.
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Lysistrata

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlover

Spoiler
I dont think so. The look he gave conveyed more to her then anything he could have said. It was cold. The fact the she couldnt even look him in the eye was wrenching.

I cant wait to see if that becomes a problem in the third one.

I like the part where
Spoiler
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Imagination Rules!

Worth the wait!

I go to the movies to be transported and entertained. I came away last night totally gobsmacked - and totally satisfied that I had received far, far more than I bargained for in the entertainment stakes. (Plus, due to friends arriving late and having to sit in the second front row (my worst nightmare; no wait, WORST is the FRONT row), a wonderful, night long migraine, but hey - it was worth it all !) Am I going to see it again? Probably more than once (from the back row where I belong) and then I'm going to buy it and watch it again...you can't beat a rollicking fun movie, particularly one with Johnny & Orlando - and the special effects blew me away. DEFINATELY worth the wait - when I'm laughing so hard and enjoying myself so much, I don't criticise NUTHIN'. Well done and thanks to all involved - absolutely BRILLIANT.
Old July 8th, 2006, 05:18 AM
sweet.luvin

my FAVORITE part was...

Spoiler

hahahahaha gotta love it!!

and my heart just BROKE when

Spoiler

definately shed some tears there

P.S i saw on a website that the 3rd movie is called "At Worlds End"
which makes sense to anyone who saw the movie
Old July 8th, 2006, 05:30 AM
luv4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.luvin
my FAVORITE part was...

Spoiler

hahahahaha gotta love it!!
whoa whoa whoa...i wont be able to see this til next week. spill. why and how does this happen?
Old July 8th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Jedi Priestess

I just got back from it and it left me feeling....FLAT. I was so dissapointed cause I was so excited to see it too. This movie lacks the fun and heart the first one had. In fact I called my sister and told her to wait and see it on DVD and to go to Supes aka Superman instead.

First of all its entirely too bloody long. Secondly you cant freaken watch the movie because of all the stuff going on in the darn thing. I swear it must have 5 darn subplots. Whomever did the writing dropped the ball BIG TIME. The special effects are marvelous but again there are way too many. Someone along the lines the writers lost sight of the old adage that less is more. Gone are the subtle little jokes and gone is the "innocence" for lack of a better word of the original. In all honesty, the biggest laughs I got where from the two guys that were the bad pirates in the first movie. Now they were funny. Its not a bad movie, but I definitely will NOT pay money to see it again. I'll rent it, but I highly doubt I buy it. In my book the first movie was a 10, this one only gets a 7 out of me.