Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:56 PM
Passionately Enthralled

thanks for this wonderful info!
Old September 24th, 2006, 12:26 AM
almarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp81
Spoiler
Thanks for adding that! I figured he had to have had the boat already but that doesn't explain why he was working for Andrea's dad though - why wouldn't he just have been out fishing? Making a little extra money on the side maybe? Minor quibble as it really doesn't detract from the movie.

That review you posted, Amby, does a great job of describing the feel of the film. I love how it highlights a few haunting images like the net that Flowers used so well, and the music he used.

One thing I'd also mention is Orlando's accent. I know some critics have said that he should have changed it, but to me it almost indicated how little he did speak - that he still had the accent he had from childhood and hadn't lost it by talking with the other islanders and picking up theirs.
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Utterly Obsessed

Thank you for that great review Amby.

Thank you Nimue for my beautiful siggie and avi !
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Bewitched

Thanks, Amby, for finding that review from Cayman Net News. I just saw Haven this afternoon and I think this reviewer captured the flavor of the film well with these comments...

Quote:
... The use of disturbing and disorientating imagery is maintained throughout the movie; but unlike many other big Hollywood movies that rely heavily on violence or other hackneyed imagery to create a disturbing effect, the sense of disturbance here is achieved in a deeper and more subtle, almost subliminal way.

The film carries with it the same kind of inward disturbance that belongs to a chain of unfinished sentences; of emotions that die before they are properly articulated....

... Mr Flowers has the rare ability to describe complex issues simply and quickly, by using powerful, often subliminal, visual metaphors and symbols.

Like many true artists, Mr Flowers works intuitively, from the subconscious mind.

Because of this, the film is given a magical, haunting quality that stays with the viewer for a long time afterwards. This film is not entertainment; it is true art
The more I think about it - and I have been doing just that ever since I saw it - the more I can appreciate this writer/director's talent. And Orlando .. who gave a very sensitive and emotional performance ... got it just right.

If you can ... Go see it!

Old January 11th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Babyjane

I read HERE that Cable TV Channel STARZ have purchased the rights to air Haven. No dates to when it will be airing have been released yet.

Quote:
Starz Entertainment has acquired the exclusive rights to five films from Indie Producer Bob Yari.....Other films in the exclusive deal include Haven, starring Orlando Bloom and Bill Paxton....Set in the Cayman Islands, Haven intertwines stories of corrupt businessmen (Bill Paxton and Stephen Dillane) fleeing the feds into tax havens and forbidden romance (Zoe Saldana and Orlando Bloom, who executive produced the film)....Starz Entertainment, LLC, is a premium movie service provider operating in the United States. It offers 16 movie channels including the flagship Starz(R) and Encore(R) brands with approximately 14.9 million and 26.6 million subscribers respectively.
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Cool! Thanks, Babyjane!
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Some pages from a Japan press kit brochure for the release of Haven...

credit to Orlandocore
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:13 AM
velonniel

You made my morning
Thank you!
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Thanks mayfrayn!

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Awaiting a warrior prince

It was on last night on Stars. They have been playing it quite a bit as of late.
But I am not sure when the next airing will be. I will try to keep a "weather eye" and post it.

Hugs,
Snoey

PS I loved it. Everytime I watch it I see more. I have it on DVD and I still watch it every time it comes on.