Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Haven

Old June 12th, 2007, 12:58 AM
In Love

Quote:
I just had a bit of a hard time to understand the Cayman accent, considering I'm Dutch and I didn't have any suptitles

Where did you buy yours, Kate? I bought mine at Bol.com and it has dutch subtitles...( I live in the Netherlands as well!! )

Loved the movie too! Orlando's really good in it!
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Kate_Sienna_Inw

Hey! That's cool, landgenoten!!!
I didn't buy it, I saw it in the US a few weeks ago :)

We should meet you know
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Lilith

Heeeeelp!!!!!
i think i will never be able to see it...in Italy,it han NEVER been released in cinemas...
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM
mandy

I saw the movie last night and I thought it was excellent. The story was very well written and directed. Frank E. Flowers did a wonderful job with it for someone so young. The movie was riveting and gritty, just as had been described by Orlando and he was so good in this movie. As a new fan of his, I have only seen him in the Pirate films so far and I must say that Haven showed a different side to his acting ability. He did a great job at portraying the desperation and despair of the character "Shy". It was heartwrenching to watch some of the scenes.He almost had me in tears.Orlando was so good at showing the different emotions that Shy experienced throughout the movie. I noticed with Orlando that everything eminates from eyes.It is facinating to watch. He's a really good actor and I look forward to buying more of his movies.

Last edited by mandy; June 20th, 2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Still not seen it yet .. Not out in the uk yet..! Soon though, just in time for my birthday; i know what i will be gettin But still have to wait all that time !!! Will post as soon as i've seen it! ( if i'm still concious )

Jenni x
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM
White Masque

The staying conscious part can be hard...especially in certain scenes.
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:34 AM
nycgal

Just saw it. Some fine acting in there by Stephan Dillane, Bill Paxton, and Orlando. Great cinematography, too, considering it was shot on a shoe-string.

But, to be perfectly honest, the screenplay is ... uneven at the best. At times, the dialogue is utterly painful.
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Bloomed

I bought "Haven" last week in London and I just watched it. My gosh, is Orlando hot in that one!
I think he played his role very well (in my opinion it is one of his best performances as an actor). I was near tears when he was so desperately pointing his gun at Hammer... Poor Shy! (Why does he always play a killer?

The only thing that really ruined it for me was Zoe Saldana. I don't know why but I just don't like her... It should have been me instead of her
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Bailey81

I have also bought the DVD last week in London and I like the film very much .... and like Ayako says, it´s one of his best performances!!
Old August 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
LoveMyChinny1

I watched Haven ... and I agree ...
Orlando did a marvelous job there ...
The story of Shy is really tragic ... reminds me on Romeo and Juliet ...
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

I FINALLY HAVE HAVEN!!!!! After weeks and weeks of searching I found it in the most unlikely place. Shepreth Wildlife Park in Cambridge! I watched and I love it!! Definitely one of Orlando's best performances, up there with KOH and AWE. I thought it was really sad and the ending left some speculation which is good. All in all a great film!!!!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

My luck was good! I had a Starz free preview when they showed Haven so I finally saw it! It was really good. The story was actully better than I expected even though of course it had flaws. The acting was good all around, especially Orlando who really stood out. He sweet moments were excellently contrasted with his heavy material and I really felt for Shy. And his interaction with the rest of the cast, especially his friend, was really nice to see. I loved the time sequence of it, the way it flashed back.

And like I said the story had flaws but over all I was quite impressed with this 24 yr old! And the ending was interesting.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I watched it again yesterday. I eventually got my GERMAN version of the DVD!!!! *whoohoo!!!*

Must say... not that I didn't get it at all the first time I watched it, I was really thunderstruck when I watched it again yesterday... I still have that lump in my throat.... Gosh, that was so bitter...

Two quotes from users at IMDB.com I just can't help but bringing over. It fills my heart to read something like this:

Quote:
The role of Shy provided Orlando the opportunity to show new freedom and depth in his craft, perhaps to a degree never before seen. Certainly, being liberated from the restrictions of working with a sword helped. He does have two other contemporary films under his belt; The Calcium Kid, shot before Haven, and Elizabethtown, shot after Haven. While both films were delightful, I still think he brings more passion and spirit to this film. We see a wider range of emotions, from tender love and hope, to humiliation and shame, emotional withdrawal, rage, confusion, and despair, to name only a few. It is acting in its purest state, and he shines in it.

Quote:
With strong performances from an ensemble cast of well known Hollywood stars and unknown local talent, 'Haven' is well acted from start to finish. Orlando Bloom leads the way with an excellent performance as the going nowhere fast 'shy', and proves that he can portray a modern day man between timepiece and fantasy blockbusters. Dare I say he would be better off, from an acting portfolio sense, taking on more of these roles.

*gulps* Wow... Is it okay if I feel flattered?

Well, I couldn't have stated this better myself...

And the most moving moments were when Shy confronted Kimo... "It's just looks..." Oh dear, did I BAWL right then!!!!!

And the end, when Andrea met Shy on the docks and it was revealed that Shy shot Hammer... The flashback sequence to that was just downright painful to watch (and listen to)...

I think... now after having watched that twice (and luckily having been able to understand EVERY bit *LOL*) I've got a new favourite movie. And definitely a new most favourite Orlando-character...

I could go on forever about the emotions I had, the wrath I felt about Andrea's family - in particular Hammer, the pain to watch a "sunnyboy" like Shy being literally shattered... and not least Andrea who felt so lost and unworthy that she adopted a self-destructive course, only because she was misunderstood by her father and brother...

I really feel...
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Enemy of mine...

Glad you got the German version! Those reviews are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them.

Quote:
And the most moving moments were when Shy confronted Kimo... "It's just looks..." Oh dear, did I BAWL right then!!!!!
That part gets to me every time! I watched it again just a couple weeks ago and no matter how many times I've seen it, that scene w/ Kimo gives me chills! His acting is so intense there!
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Aint no other man but you

I saw it about a month ago so my memory may be cloudy but did no one see him shoot Hammer? I thought they were in a public place with others around. Anyway, I would bet the coppers would come looking for him first since the altercation at the party and of course the history between them. I would guess she wouldn't want to be with him after he killed her brother even if she understood and even if she loved him. Too much to handle. I thought it was a great movie, a little hard to follow but once you get the time line down it's really great. I like movies that don't follow a straight path.

Gorgeous signature by my friend Erendira
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Passionately Enthralled

^ My guess is... Shy went to that party and released one shot into the air. Right after that, everyone ran away and Shy and Hammer ended up alone. So there were no "reliable eye-witnesses" who had actually SEEN Shy shoot Hammer. And when Shy tossed the gun away, the body of evidence - the only one - was lost. So there could have been SOMEONE who might have accused Shy for having shot Hammer, but there was no evidence he really did it.

And after all... Hammer might have had a lot other opponents due to his "business".

Ahm... and if I get that right... At some point in the movie, he tells about the crimes that had been avenged, all except one. This, I guess, is the one he commits.

Last edited by Beriawen; May 27th, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriawen View Post
^

Ahm... and if I get that right... At some point in the movie, he tells about the crimes that had been avenged, all except one. This, I guess, is the one he commits.
Shy says this or Hammer? I guess I need to watch it again and catch all the things I missed. Had a few margaritas that night so I'm sure a second look is a good idea.

Old May 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Buried Alive by Love

It's definitely worth a second look as it's one of those films that there's lots you can miss!I liked a lot about Haven but won't be re-watching over and over like KOH.....
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Frecklescounter

Do you mix it up with that what Orlando/Shy said in the trailer for Haven?
RL won't let me watch the movie. Never had the time to watch it with the attention it deserves. And it seems to be a movie who has to be watched with out interuptions or you have trouble to follow the plot. *stomps feet and pouts*

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Alive...and kicking

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanDreamin View Post
Shy says this or Hammer? I guess I need to watch it again and catch all the things I missed. Had a few margaritas that night so I'm sure a second look is a good idea.

It's also in the trailer, yes. About the reasons why crimes are committed... it's in the movie, towards the end, maybe the beginning of the fourth quarter or something around that. He talks from the off. Like a narrator.

Trailer

Though in this he doesn't refer to how many have been avenged, just the avarage of one murder per year that was committed... but just committed... I could have sworn, the dubbed version added that little word "avenged". Maybe my corroded raddled brain had added that.

Edit:

I simply feel to add a bit more to what I had to say above...

I have to say, I have become a bit obsessive reading review articles about Haven and it's unbelievable how warring these are. *LMAO*

http://www.firstshowing.net/2006/09/...aven-reviewed/

And in contrast, someone reviewed that for the German market when it was released over here.

Rough translation of the most idiotic bit:

It speaks volumes that Zoe Saldana, despite her stupid role, gives the best performance of all. The rest of the cast - with Orlando Bloom who once more proves that he was better off with action movies such as PotC, leading the way, barely amaze.

And don't even look at

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/haven/

They have always been quite

Really... Hate the movie or love it seems to be the motto.

Well, I love it.

Mostly of course because the character Orlando played is so much like me. The scar he wears on the outside, I seem to wear on the inside, my soul and heart... but after all, his suffering from low self-esteem, hurt, betrayal and lack of trust is something that helps me relate to this character the most. More than all other parts he has played so far.

"It's just looks... Try walking around like that." Or something to that extent he said to Kimo when he asked him to join him at his cousin's birthday party but Shy rejected it. Also I refrain from going to parties elsewhere than the local pub where the most accept me... Still I hear the voices of my past school-mates who mocked me, calling me ugly and monster-face and what not... So... yeah... That left a mark on my psyche. A scar if you want. And it has never really vanished. It might have faded a bit, but it will never heal completely.

Last edited by Beriawen; May 27th, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:10 AM

Well, I can't speak for others but your writing has brought me joy and entertainment and I think you are very talented. How others feel and treated you is usually a reflection of how they feel about themselves. People sometimes try to make themselves bigger by making others feel smaller. I guess some of the very nasty comments I have seen about Orlando, his acting, his relationships on other sites (very nasty things written out there) remind me of this. I think he was wonderful in this movie also. Others may have their opinions but that doesn't mean they are right.

Old May 28th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Thank you, CaribbeanDreaming... That was really nice of you. But in parts they were right. I might be nice in a sense of polite and all and maybe also talented... but my looks... Well... *shrugs* Don't know what to think about that other than... *meep*

But it doesn't really belong here, so...

Last edited by Beriawen; May 28th, 2009 at 08:48 AM.