Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Haven

Old March 5th, 2005, 12:02 AM
fereniel

I for one cannot believe that this film hasn't been snapped up by a distributor, everyone on the planet thinks it's worthy of release - yet it's hung in limbo until someone does take it up.

It seems such a crying shame, what's everyone else think?

I reckon Orlando deserves one of these for being soo patient!!
Old March 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Luthien

I can't believe it either. Seems strange to me. From what I have read and heard about it from this board and other sites it deserves to be released.
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I bet that later this summer, when Orlando has become a big mega star after his performances in KOH and Elizabethtown, someone will suddenly "discover" this "lost" movie, Haven .....and rush it into release (or at least onto a DVD)!!!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:05 AM
FireSoulLove

When is this coming out? As it hit Theaters? DVD? What? I'm a bit confused...
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:49 PM
In Valinor

Added images from June, 2005 "Screen" magazine to illustrate my review.
Old April 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM
On a Yellow Slide

*gah* Those pics are awesome, EL!

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM
dmr65

Oy!! Just read the reviews here, and not sure I can handle to see such a sad movie in thearter. I may prefer to see it on DVD at home, so I can stop or quickly go onto another scene I can handle, play it over and over to remind myself... It's only a movie. .

Denise...
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:59 PM
MzTachikawa

I usually don't see movies like this and would rather not to but of course it has ORLANDO so I must! Can't wait to see him in such a different role..
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Crazy in Love

Critics' Reviews of Haven

MiraJeff finds a safe HAVEN in Orlando Bloom's arms!!!
April 13, 2006 from AICN.

****SPOILERS!

Quote:
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with MiraJeff who tells us of an ensemble flick with everybody from Bill Paxton to Orlando Bloom called HAVEN. The plot sounds very... involved and complicated. So, here's MiraJeff to explain to you the huge plot of HAVEN! Enjoy!

Greetings AICN, MiraJeff here with a look at the long-gestating Orlando Bloom film, Haven. Writer/Director Frank E. Flowers’ ensemble drama made the festival rounds back in 2004, but is only finding theatrical release this week. Reviews have been all over the board for this movie but personally, I’m glad to see it isn’t being given the direct-to-video release because really, it’s better than that really, although it’s certainly not anywhere near as good as Crash, the film it’s compared to in the press notes. (And yes, I loved Crash. Sue me. And please, bear with me through all the parenthesis, plural.) Like Crash, Haven is another non-linear Bob Yari production with an ensemble cast, although this film is set in the Cayman Islands, which are gorgeously shot by director of photography Michael Bernard and native Flowers.

Haven begins on Friday the 13th as a crooked American businessman named Carl (Bill Paxton) learns (via mystery fax) that the feds are onto him and his partner, the mysterious Mr. Allen (Stephen Dillane), whose son (Lee Ingleby) is best friends with Orlando Bloom’s character, providing further story linkage, as well as the film’s most awkward subplot. Anyways, Carl packs a bag for his daughter, Pippa, (Agnes Bruckner, channeling Jennie Garth) and hightails it out of the country as the feds (including Bobby Canavale) search his Miami residence for evidence of shady dealings. As soon as Carl gets to the Caymans, he has to immediately find the bank where his dirty money is hidden, since the island’s banks are closing left and right because of illegalities. Meanwhile, the flirtatious Pippa befriends an island native, Fritz (Victor Rasuk), who she finds sleeping in her new bungalow’s bed. When Pippa returns Fritz’s wallet to him later, he makes it his mission to be her personal guide on the island and show her a good time. Fritz takes Pippa to a party, but it’s not long before he’s spotted by some shady people and ditches her. When Fritz is finally caught, he wiggles off the hook by tipping the island’s gang leader Ritchie Rich (Razaaq Adoti) onto Carl, who Fritz saw with a lot of money taped to his stomach when he was picking up Pippa to go out.

The party Fritz and Pippa attend is where the first storyline intersects with the characters in the second, which takes place four months after the film’s flashbacks. This story involves one of the gang’s members, an ex-con rich kid name Hammer (a superb Anthony Mackie). Hammer is having a bad day because Shy (Orlando Bloom), the guy who is in love with his sister Andrea (Zoe Saldana), has finally reared his ugly (literally) head in public again since Hammer threw acid on his face because he thought Shy raped his sister. But when we first see Bloom and Saldana, they’re swimming in the blue-green waters of the Caribbean just off an idyllic beach shore that’s out of sight of her father’s armed boat. She looks just like a young Thandie Newton, absolutely gorgeous. His single mother is her teacher and her wealthy father (Robert Wisdom) is his boss. We also get a bit of back-story explaining Shy’s nickname, which he earned when he stopped talking for five years after his father, a fisherman, was murdered.

Unfortunately, the acid incident forever alters their relationship and while Shy chooses to hide his scarred face and shun her and his loyal sidekick Kimo (a solid Mpho Koaho), she spirals out of control, becoming a junkie ***** who tells one guy to just “take me somewhere and **** the **** out of me.” When Shy witnesses her behavior for himself in a bathroom at the party, it sets something off inside of him, and when Hammer basically tells him that he would rather his sister be a ***** than live happily ever after with Shy. He’d rather see his sister waste her life on drugs than on a white, working-class island boy like Shy, who responds with an act of violence that inevitably forces him to turn his back on the only place he’s ever called home and set sail on a boat appropriately named Destiny. Although this love triangle is the heart of the film, it feels like it belongs in a different movie, or at least one that has more time to devote to the proper development of its story. Instead, lumped in with the Paxton story, it feels like a potpourri of ideas, a hodge-podge/mish-mash/whatever-you-wanna-call-it that mostly works, but stumbles at times under the weight of its own self-importance.

The acting all around was pretty impressive, especially Orlando Bloom, who wasn’t a whiny pussy for once. That doesn’t mean I’ve forgiven him for Elizabethtown yet. Elsewhere, Paxton’s character falls out of the film for long stretches of time and besides convincingly acting paranoid, he kind of sleepwalks through the role. It looks like he was saving his stronger work for Big Love, which is doing a commendable job of filling the Six Feet Under void for me. In supporting roles, Joy Bryant plays Mr. Allen’s seductive and secretive assistant and Jake Weber is a scary local sheriff who knocks some sense into the mischievous Fritz. Although the scene, which is set in a Laundromat, feels out of place, it is nonetheless effective, as Weber warns him that “if you run with assholes you come out smelling like ****.” After beating the boy with a baton, Weber snaps, calling Fritz “a white-washed wanna-be American.”

Of the rest of the cast, Mackie and Rasuk really stand out. Rasuk has come a long way since the days of Raising Victor Vargas and he makes Fritz a street-smart punk who we actually care about. He has a unique energy that really seems to capture the atmosphere of the Caymans. I forgot how much I liked him as Tony Alva in Lords of Dogtown. Even still, the best performance in Haven is Mackie’s. He’s an actor who I’ve noticed before and consider a rising star. He was Papa Doc in 8 Mile, the cocky boxer Morgan Freeman knocks out in Million Dollar Baby, a gang member with a conscience in Spike Lee’s underappreciated Sucker Free City, and most recently shined in Ryan Fleck’s Half Nelson which I saw this past weekend and thought was fantastic. There’s something about Mackie’s unexplained and unrestrained anger here that really makes his commanding performance standout. He’s certainly an actor to watch.

Flowers’ debut features some strong writing and visuals, but aside from some cool time-lapse effects, the editing is all over the place and some unnecessary flashbacks interrupt the flow of the narrative, which is more difficult than it has to be to understand. I mean, this movie isn’t rocket science folks. Overall I have to give it credit for being a stylish character piece that is rarely predictable and features a very good score. It’s fairly compelling and engrossing for the most part and Flowers seems to be a promising filmmaker with an ear for dialogue and an international eye. Haven is definitely worth the trip, if only to see Orlando Bloom looking like a young Freddy Krueger.

That’ll do it for me, folks. The Tribeca Film Festival will be opening its doors any day now, so keep your eyes peeled for fresh updates from NYC. ‘Til next time, this is MiraJeff signing off…
Wow, they compared it to CRASH.

He was GOOD in Elizabethtown!
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Dreamer

Thanks ambayuun

A good review really even though they just had to spoil it with the Elizabethtown comment They seemed impressed though that Orlando plays a very different role from anything we have seen him in before. I hope that we get to see this on the big screen in NZ.

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Fanfic Junkie

Amby!! thanks so much for that I won't get to see this in the theater but I'm glad it will get released finally!!!!!

sig & avatar by the lovely and talented elements

Dean: Come on man, I've been itching for a hunt
Gordon: Sorry. But hey, I hear there's a chupacabra two states over; go ahead and knock yourselves out.
SPN Ep 2x3
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM
*Blue Eyes*

Thanks so much for posting this.. I wonder if we'll ever get to see it over here... Im just hoping for a dvd release!
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Liebe

Thank you for posting. I run to read!
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks for the post, Amby. We're all looking forward to the SOMETIME release of Haven -- even if only on DVD. (Orlando as Freddie Kruger ???? --- HELP !!)
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Well, it was high time for them to recognize that Orlando is a really good actor! He has always been impressive as an actor. If some critics were blinded to this fact, it has nothing to do with his acting. He has never repeated himself in any role it's always been obvious! I am happy for him!
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Malene

Orlando wasn't a whiny pussy for once?
Legolas,Will Turner,Balian and Joe Byrne are whiny *******? I hate when these people write things that are complete bullshit just because they want to sound cool.

Can you tell I have a headache and can't deal with people saying idiotic things today?

EDIT:Howcome I can write "one pussy" and not "many *******"?

Last edited by Malene; April 14th, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Crazy in Love

from The Daily Targum .
Quote:
Welcome to Paradise Lost
The ambitious yet flawed flim starring Orlando Bloom tries to tackle many of the issues plaguing today's society, but ultimately gets lost in its own muddled message
Krishna Purohit/inside beat staff editor
Posted: 4/27/06
Frank E. Flowers' Haven attempts to bring fresh perspectives on class and racial conflicts, but it just gets tangled up in its overcomplicated plotlines. The idyllic paradise the film sets up only to be torn down loses its impact despite good intentions.

A series of intertwining stories that span a four-month period unfold in Haven beginning with the shady dealings of Miami businessman Carl Ridley (Bill Paxton, A Simple Plan) and his Cayman Islands partner Mr. Allen (Stephen Dillane, King Arthur). After being exposed by the feds, Ridley and his disgruntled daughter Pippa (Agnes Bruckner, Murder by Numbers) flee to the Islands in hope of starting over.

The plot then abruptly flashes back to a tale of star-crossed lovers. British ex-pat and slacker Shy (Orlando Bloom) falls in love with his rich boss's daughter Andrea Sterling (Zoe Saldana, Drumline). After spending a night together, the sweethearts face the consequences of their actions and spark off a chain of events that end in murder.

From there, Flowers throws in a third rendition of the events, a few subplots and a dozen extra characters. By the time the audience filters through all the dead-end leads, it is impossible to focus on the two main stories. A little editing could have gone a long way in preserving the film's smart, non-linear style. Instead, only minor characters and repetitive flashbacks feebly connect the pieces.

Each story relies heavily on preconceived notions of utopia and clips any potential development by flat-lining with questions like "What do you know about love?" The frequent chronological jumps undermine the bold issues that the film tries to explore, such as the effects of post-colonization and the power of social norms.

Due to its jam-packed agenda, Haven fails to flesh out any of its main leads. Despite Paxton's endearing performance, the relationship between Ridley and daughter is flat and lifeless. However, Victor Rasuk (Lords Of Dogtown), at least, shines as local bad boy Fritz, who lures Pippa away to an island party.

As the angst-ridden lover, co-producer Bloom even agrees to pull a Charlize Theron and plays an acid-scarred Shy to no avail. The script refuses to delve further into the tormented character and allows the actor little room to move, despite his best efforts. Luckily, the star of the show is the haven itself. The film's Cayman backdrop is refreshing and the plot sparkles with island culture.

The scenic views and earnest performances are the film's saving grace, but cannot account for an overcrowded script. It is disappointing to see such a promising project undone by a fuzzy focus and an anticlimactic ending. As Andrea Sterling says to her lover, Haven is one of those island films "that's always stuck on spring break." It gets off the proverbial plane and lets its intellectual premises fly out the window.
Old April 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks, Amby. Not as good as the previous one, but at least I think Orlando's work is reviewed more respectfully than on previous occasions. It's so odd, anyway, that they rate the same performance so differently. I hope he can find room enough to play a role and finally, his obvious talent is an unanimously acknowledged fact
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Crazy in Love

A generally good review from MOVIESONLINE.ca

Quote:
From the moment fresh-faced director and writer Frank E. Flowers opens "Haven," it's a hazy picture, seeming all too disjointed and fractured in style and story. The manner in which the plot unfolds is unintelligible until you realize that there are several stories emptying into the same corner of the world, Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands, where they are free from taxation and imprisoned by everything else. This film makes Grand Cayman look like the Las Vegas meets Los Angeles of the Caribbean, where the suits co-exist with the gangsters, and it all looks like the same business. This should be paradise but no place is without sin and corruption, and no innocent can live there without it touching them too.

Orlando Bloom (the "Lord of the Rings" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" trilogies) plays just such an innocent, so innocent that his character's name is Shy, but it wasn't a pleasant event that earned Shy the moniker he embraces. Agnes Bruckner ("Murder by Numbers" and the FOX series "24") plays Pippa, a semi-innocent who is more naive than pure and is the daughter of a dirty businessman (Bill Paxton, "Titanic" and "Frailty") who is about to be busted by the FBI for illegal financial dealings. Meanwhile, in a seemingly unrelated plot thread, Shy is madly and truly in love with Andrea, played by Zoe Saldana ("The Terminal" and the first "Pirates of the Caribbean"). Andrea's father and brother Hammer (Anthony Mackie, "Half Nelson" and "Million Dollar Baby") both have severe and extreme reactions to her loss of virginity to the devoted young Shy. In addition to the principal cast, several smaller parts are filled with faces that can recognized from one place or another, many from popular television shows; Jake Weber ("Medium" and the "Dawn of the Dead" remake), Rachel Miner ("Medium" and the movie "Bully"), Sarah Carter ("Smallville"), and "Serena Scott Thomas ("Buffy").

There is an incredible amount of talent in this film, and all of it is put to excellent use. The performances create characters that are tightly wound and ready to snap having become victims of the snakes in their counterfeit Eden. Bloom's Shy and Saldana's Andrea are the most sympathetic and wonderfully wrought subjects of the entire movie, breathing such depth into them that they seem as tragic and star-crossed as any modern day Romeo and Juliet. Their love story is a broken one, and the ruin it falls to so quickly sets a series of events into motion that ties all the jigsaw pieces together. Unfortunately, it is difficult to follow this and have an interest in understanding it until half way into the movie. Shy is a main character and he does not enter the picture until a third of the way through the story. There are time lapses and flashes backward and forward with no warning or explanation save for the fact that the worst of the climax explodes on Friday the 13th. However, these gaps are filled in very well in the last third of the film and that is when the movie has its greatest moments. The scenes that filter together and run into one another tie up loose ends and make the chaos of all the exposition seem more appropriate given the chaos of the day.

Between Pippa being arrested, Andrea being punished for making love to the man of her dreams, Shy's male best friend attempting to finally make a move on him, and one huge pile of cash imported with Paxton's fugitive father, the gears finally come apart. And, the payoff for the first half of the movie is its second half. It is difficult to watch at times with the direction, but the writing certainly has merit. The timeline and its anti-chronological sequence of events, however, does not work its best at the movie's beginning. At the end, some literal and psychological scars are left, and the material is richer for having covered all the ground it can in a heaven that turns out to be a hell. The sad truth about "Haven" is that nowhere and nothing is ever safe.
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Nimue

Thanks Amby! That makes me all the more anxious to see it. Wonder how long it'll take to come out on DVD. *sigh*
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks, Amby! I can't wait to see this!
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
*Blue Eyes*

thanks! really wanna see this movie..sigh..
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Crazy in Love

from SAN DIEGO CityBeat

Quote:
While the characters in The Last Kiss are playing the game of love and responsibility, the population of Frank E. Flowers’ crime drama Haven are playing a variety of games, as well, though the stakes here are much higher. Set in Flowers’ native Cayman Islands, the film interweaves dozens of characters whose lives are imploding, blending timelines and plot points until all the loose ends are somehow tied up.

The writer/director holds degrees from the schools of Michael Mann and Quentin Tarantino and has a decent casting agent, too—his top-notch cast includes Bill Paxton as a shady businessman forced to retreat to the islands, Victor Rasuk as an island player, Bobby Cannavale as a fed and Orlando Bloom (also one of the executive producers) as an island boy who sets the storylines in motion after a run-in with the father and brother (Anthony Mackie) of his girlfriend (Zoe Saldana), which involves accusations of rape and a bottle of acid.

There are dozens more characters, and to Flowers’ credit, the movie is well-written enough to let us know who these people are even if they aren’t all given enough screen time to really develop. Each of the storylines is interesting enough on its own, but they are made better by intersecting with one other. We’re forced to follow closely or risk losing track of the timeline, who is who, how they know each other.

But Haven is complex and smart, a challenging film to keep track of, but one whose value is found in doing precisely that. Flowers’ direction is unobtrusive—it’s his writing that is really on display here, touching on everything from young love to the weight of a million bucks in cash, and offering up one delicious twist after another. And the Cayman Islands (long an offshore tax haven for business interests that are questionable or otherwise) look luscious, a hot, sweaty place to have a good time and get into serious trouble. As the saying goes, what happens in the Cayman Islands stays in the Cayman Islands.
from LA CityBeat

Quote:
With the Feds on his heels because of a shady business deal, sleazy corporate executive Carl (Bill Paxton) duct-tapes a wad of embezzled cash to his belly and hightails it to the glamorous Cayman Islands, where the island nation’s loose tax laws make it likely he will be able to get away with the dough. Carl’s daughter Pippa (Agnes Bruckner), who is dragged along for the ride and isn’t happy about it, quickly falls in with a rough crowd, hooking up with rascally, treacherous local Fritz (Victor Rasuk). Their tale parallels another subplot – that of the Romeo and Juliet-like romance between a Cayman fisherman (Orlando Bloom) and his beautiful girlfriend (Zoe Saldana), a mob boss’s daughter.

Set amidst the Cayman’s lush, almost garishly beautiful beaches, nightclubs, and condos, writer-director Frank E. Flowers’s intense, tautly paced thriller proves that people can turn even the most picturesque places into a hellish pit. Parts of his feverishly presented film are awkwardly convoluted, hampered by an overly ambitious narrative structure. Yet, the edgy mood and the unexpected eruptions of shocking violence are like something from a gritty South Central rap thriller – albeit with beaches and jerk chicken. And the movie powerfully conveys a seething rage that lurks just beneath the crystal blues and gorgeous greens of paradise. Bloom is anything but elfin in a nicely angsty and lovelorn performance. Also engaging is Bruckner, as a teenager who’s totally out of her depth in the sinister, claustrophobic surroundings. (Paul Birchall) (Citywide)
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Eowadia

thanks for the reviews!! i just read the bold stuff as not to read the spoilers! so HaPPY Orlando is finally getting his due credit!
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Great reviews so far.....hope it keeps up. Everyone of them seem to like Orlando's Shy, which is good to see, since it is such a vastly different type of role for him.