Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Main Street

Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Alive...and kicking

Thank you very much for those reviews May and TexasGal..I'm afraid that,as happened with Haven,europeans will have to wait for the DVD to watch this movie....

Though,now that I'm thinking...here the 99% of foreign movies are doubed,so,even if it hits the theaters I wouldn't hear his gorgeous voice,or that southern accent...I wasn't able to hear that delightful irish accent of Joe Byrne,untill I got the dvd..and that sucks really,all of you that can see the original versions are very lucky...

Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks KayT, May and TexasGal !

With all these review I'm filling more confident in that movie. It's look better than I think. Maybe after, they will edit the movie a little or something else ^^
Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Skimmed the reviews, thanks for them! After reading about the pacing being slow, I can't help but wonder if this is to add sensory element to the setting. Sometimes I wonder if critics and viewers miss it because most people seem so conditioned to speed and fast action, and hating to wait for anything, that maybe they miss that the slow pace is to illustrate life in a small town. Just a thought.
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:26 AM
OrlyB&BenBfangrl

Thank you for these reviews!
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

I didn't know where to put this, but I am going to see 'Main Street' at the Australia Fair Cinemas Film Festival at Southport, Qld., on Saturday, November 13. (Cinema 2at 12.00pm.)

This is a truly amazing surprise, and I am so looking forward to attending I'm pinching myself.

The reviews have been interesting, but I'm going with an open mind.

Nice things sometimes happen!

Missy
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Aint no other man but you

That's great news! Can't wait to hear about it!

Gorgeous signature by my friend Erendira
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Lucky you. I hope you enjoy

sig by erendira :)
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
at world´s end and beyond

those are great news. Keep us posted!!
Old December 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Smitten

Is this based on Lewis Sinclair's book of the same name??
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by april7 View Post
Is this based on Lewis Sinclair's book of the same name??
No.
The only thing that they have in common is the title.
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Smitten

oh...:0 TY :)
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Sorry, VERY late reaction to this but I just now stumbled over it...

Quote:
Harris Parker (Bloom), a police officer by day and a law-student by night, and Mary Saunders (Tamblyn), a sectary in a law firm who is dating her much older and very married boss.
OH YEEEES!!!!!!!!!! *points at own occupation in her profile*
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Photo Fanatic

Just saw "Main Street" and I loved it! Yes, it is a little slow at times, but the photography is beautiful and the story tugs at your heartstrings. The cast is superb. Orlando is stunning looking as Harris; didn't think I'd like his haircut, but it shows fuller onscreen than in stills. His accent is excellent, didn't notice any slips, perhaps our Southern sisters will give their opinions when/if they see the film. Don't want to comment on the storyline, you have to watch it unfold yourself.

Just literally - oh, Orlando, so happy to see you on the screen again!!!
Old January 27th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Utterly Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymochridh View Post

Just saw "Main Street" and I loved it!
You lucky girl !

Thank you Nimue for my beautiful siggie and avi !
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Smitten

Hi all, I watched Main Street last week and it was amazing great acting and scenery Colin and Orlando were so good I enjoyed all of it
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

if anyone's interested, i found a site where you can watch this movie

Link removed

Last edited by erendira; February 17th, 2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: not allowed link
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:47 AM
dazzled

Well I got the dvd yesterday ( ordered on an italian site May mentioned) and I must say it's not my favorite movie ...
I'm not saying it's a bad movie , but well it lacks something ...sparkling? Th subject is interesting and very actual but some how when you watch it you feel as asleep as the town itself !
I've no idea about the accents , but it seemed good enough ( hardly able to understand them !!!) And Orlando's acting is good , but the problem is it isn't a challenging role , he's so sweet , I would have liked a more mean cop , a bad boy ...( I so look forward to SFD)
Well the whole town in fact seemed rather sweet to me

Perhaps it's true that the editing was bad , I would have liked a bit more suspense and tension ( the accident could have been way more frightening, I didn't feel the hazardous waste as menacing as it should )
So I'll put the dvd on the shelf with all Orlando's movies but I won't see it as often as KOH !!!!!!
And yes I HATE the haircut !
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:13 PM
In Love

I finally got to see this, and I have to say, sadly, that it's terrible. I am not a fan of action films, and my favourite films are often understated and quirky, set on a small stage - and this is a story that could have been beautifully told in such a format. A story about fear of the future and how we deal with it, and how this puts us at odds with others in their own struggle.

Unfortunately, the script is appalling and the editing worse. Orlando, like the rest of the cast, does a good job with what he has been handed, and Harris is a solid character whose steady holding of faith with Durham's future is touching. His accent sounds good to me. However, people repeat themselves endlessly and plot developments are never left for the audience to infer when there is a chance instead to repeatedly bash them over the head with signposts.

I wouldn't be here if I was not keen for Orlando's screen time to be maximised in everything he does, of course, but like some of the sequences for other characters, we watch painfully as some things are just dragged on an on. Remember writing school assignments that were too short and going back to insert bits here and there to pad it out? That's what this script is like - there is about half an hour's worth of story here.

I agree Orlando looks much better in action than he does in the stills - but even massive fans might find it challenging to get to the end, never mind to watch it more than once. I believe that Horton Foote was 90 when he wrote this, and with all due respect to his pedigree, it shows. I also read there were funding issues that led to it being handed over to a 'second division' crew. Sad.
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
besotted with buttons

Thats sad to hear FLC
In the end I guess is important for us all to bear in mind that this is his JOB and sometimes the assignment isn't up to much. Shame that an opportunity was lost then perhaps to tell the story in a different way.
Still, well then Orlando did his part, no shame in that. I expect i will see it when I come to your house next eh?
X

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourleaf Clover View Post
I finally got to see this, and I have to say, sadly, that it's terrible. I am not a fan of action films, and my favourite films are often understated and quirky, set on a small stage - and this is a story that could have been beautifully told in such a format. A story about fear of the future and how we deal with it, and how this puts us at odds with others in their own struggle.

Unfortunately, the script is appalling and the editing worse. Orlando, like the rest of the cast, does a good job with what he has been handed, and Harris is a solid character whose steady holding of faith with Durham's future is touching. His accent sounds good to me. However, people repeat themselves endlessly and plot developments are never left for the audience to infer when there is a chance instead to repeatedly bash them over the head with signposts.

I wouldn't be here if I was not keen for Orlando's screen time to be maximised in everything he does, of course, but like some of the sequences for other characters, we watch painfully as some things are just dragged on an on. Remember writing school assignments that were too short and going back to insert bits here and there to pad it out? That's what this script is like - there is about half an hour's worth of story here.

I agree Orlando looks much better in action than he does in the stills - but even massive fans might find it challenging to get to the end, never mind to watch it more than once. I believe that Horton Foote was 90 when he wrote this, and with all due respect to his pedigree, it shows. I also read there were funding issues that led to it being handed over to a 'second division' crew. Sad.
I agree with all you wrote.
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Alive...and kicking

I agree FLC,his acting is very good,he's totally believable as Harris...is touching in some moments.Pity that the good acting of the cast can't save a plain bore,dull screenplay...

Old March 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM
In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit View Post
Thats sad to hear FLC
I expect i will see it when I come to your house next eh?
X
Yes, I will bustle about supplying snacks, drinks (choc ices?) and just pop back in the room now and again when Harris appears, if that's OK!
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM
besotted with buttons

choc ices please...can't beat little pieces of melted chocolate in lap.
Officer Harris heeheh who'd have thought it...I will look forward to it!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Aint no other man but you

Great review FLC and sadly very true. A lot of people were attacking his accent which I thought was fine and I'm from the South. Colin's Texas accent was awful in my opinion and I think he is an incredible actor. The cast is full of talent but none could save this film from being dull.

Gorgeous signature by my friend Erendira
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:07 PM
In Love

Being British I hesitate to comment on the authenticity of American accents CD, but I agree, Colin's Texas accent set my teeth on edge. Now, in A Single Man (a fantastic film) his accent struck me as note perfect, but he missed the spot this time, for sure. I thought Orlando did a fine job - even though his normal speaking voice is familiar to me, I believed entirely in Harris as a NC police officer, and only caught the odd slipped vowel.