Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > Dead Man's Chest

Old July 9th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Utterly Obsessed

Loved it no doubt!
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:23 AM
sweet.luvin

Just got back from seeing it for the 2nd time..(my goal is 10!) it's even better the 2nd time cuz the first time round ur just so excited it's actually happening hahahaha like the fact that...

Spoiler

does anyone know how much it's made so far?? I've looked everywhere but i cant find it

Last edited by sweet.luvin; July 9th, 2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:41 AM
whyterose3

Yahoo reported that on Friday, the film made $55.5 million, which would set the record for the largest one-day take at the box office.

They expected it to hit the 114 Million mark, but from what I seen at my theatre, I would think it is going to hit more than that.

I thought the film was excellent, and seen that Orlando's role has more meat in it and he seemed to share the leading man role whereas in the first one I thought he was more of a supporting actor to Depp. Both are excellent - films and actors. Can hardly wait for the third one.
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:45 AM
At First Sight

I've watched DMC twice now and still can't wait for 3rd, 4th and most likely more helpings soon....It's ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS !!...it's everything plus so much more than I hoped for . The years of waiting were more than worth it. This is so much better layered and thought provoking than the first one and yet still retains that fantastical element plus the huge sense of fun and sheer entertainment value for your money!
The cinema at my nearest town has two theatres out of 5 running[ last time was for LOTR series]every hour flat out for DMC and each one was crammed full for every showing. I had to wait in line each time for an hour ahead just to get a decent seat. And the audience participation was fantastic-laughing and cheering and even applauding at certain parts. All my friends and work colleagues think it's great and everyone wants to go back for more helpings too .
And a LOT of the enjoyment and satisfaction is because the movie is at a perfect length. Not edited to pieces and leaving you feeling cheated and disappointed. Thank you Gore and Bruikheimer for NOT listening to those critics who said the first one was too long !And I had no trouble following the plotline at all.
As for the acting itself, I thought everyone did a great job especially Orlando who probably had the most difficult arc of all. Johnny's Jack Sparrow was as fun as the first time-he also gets the best lines I think and he's so brilliant with them. Not many surprises there. Elizabeth even from the first movie has always struck me as being capable of being quite ruthless in getting her own way eg getting Jack drunk on the island and agreeing to marry Norrington so he would turn his ship around. She also has her father pretty well twisted around her little finger. A girl who knows how to use her womanly charms and she was using it plenty on Jack this time. I think Norrington sussed on to what was happening there. So I was'nt so much shocked at what she did to Jack at the end as much as how she went about it and Will's face when he saw them... the betrayal on his face was tragic and the cold look on his face when he questioned her in the boat later. I don't think there was anyone in the audience that did'nt feel that. THE MAN CAN ACT !! And the scenes with Will and Bootstrap are amazing. They are'nt long but so well done that you can feel the father/son rapport straight away thanks in no mean part to the script and the intensity of the moments and of course the marvellous acting from Orlando and Stellan.
As for Orlando's comedic timing, the scene where he keeps falling over when he gets out of the wheel is just hilarious . The lady next to me laughed so hard, she nearly choked! And the round cage scenes from the cannibal village...fantastic... I loved how Will took control there as well as with the kraken scenes and how the crew just responds to him.
Anyway all in all, I just wanted to say how simply Fantastic DMC is and Orlando is just Brilliant in it ! Anyone who has'nt seen it and are confused by some of the less than complimentary reviews they've seen [ something I was quite disappointed by when I came in here yesterday -I thought I was on the wrong forum for a while ], Go and see it and sit back and be completely entertained by a Wonderful Film and Orlando at His best!

ps....Dear Red ...re the Dice game- they are basically betting on the number of dice turned up with the same amounts. So say you have 3 ones and 2 fives. You then have to guess at how many ones the other players have and hope they have plenty cos that's what you are going to bet with. It's not the value of the dice turned up but how many there are. So with the game we saw-Jones had 4 fives so he guessed that either Will or Bootstrap had 3 more and so he bet 7 fives. Will had 3 fives and he was hoping that the other two had 6 more so he upped the ante to 9 fives. Unfortunately he would have lost cos Bootstrap had no fives to help him. That's why Bootstrap bid way beyond Will and Jone's total number of dice they had ie 10 -he bid 12 fives knowing he had no fives himself so he would lose and not Will.
Sorry,hon if I have'nt explained it properly... it's hard to put down in words.
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM
besotted with buttons

Saw DMC for the second time on Friday night and really felt that the second viewing was needed - and that's apart from the fact that after the first one I felt exhausted from the the sheer breathlessness of it, and with the emotion of seeing Jack meet his fate, "Hello Beastie" being one of the few times I did really think 'Captain Jack is back' but thats another story. The film seemed to me to be so crammed full that it was quite dizzying which isn't necessarily a bad thing though my daughter looked at me and say "huh??" at various junctures. I LOVED Tia, really what a fantastic character and so much depth hinted at with her and Jack, I really hope she will feature more. I thought Will was masterful in charge of the Pearl (though what on earth the writers had in mind having Jack desert his ship gawd only knows) Will was just great at that swinging from the rigging with a knife between his teeth stuff- he was fantastic with his father and retained of course that sense of 'properness' and naevity that IS his character. He wants to marrry Elizabeth and all that stuff, and it is also inconflict with that pirate blood. His most sublime moment I think was when
Spoiler
He speaks like he does- with a slightly stilted English accent, in fact summing up that characterisation of Britishness that fits with this particular role perfectly imho *shrugs*

What I personally thought was missing was a progression of character and relationships- the chemistry between him and Jack was not developed in the slightest, they appeared to have no history, that is not Orlando's issue obviously, I hasten to add. Instead the direction and writing concentrated on Elizabeth and Jack ( I did find it a little hard to take that he would be tricked by her- ok so he wouldn't be a man to turn down something that is offered but to be overcome with lust- nah) I thought Norrington's turn from upstanding citizen to complete opposite a bit of a leap of faith too.
But was an excellent adventure film- and this is Disney- not art house. I was sitting there for ages after the film ended considering refusing to move until they screened the next one, so that about sums up my initial reaction. I thought that it was funny, exciting, thought provoking, fantastical and completely worth several trips to the cinema for the sheer ride of emotions. Our boy done good

and did I mention Will looks **** hot??

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction

Last edited by nuit; July 9th, 2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM
whyterose3

In the first film, Depp obviously commands the film in his character, but I thought in the second film, Orlando's character is more developed, has more depth to him, and has this inner strength that comes through. He portrays Turner well and it shows in his range of emotions in his facial expressions, the way he annunciates his words. The end where he witnesses the scene with Elizabeth and Jack, the audience just sighed. You wanted to reach out and comfort him. His coldness to Elizabeth when he asked about Jack showed his feeling of being betrayed. At the end, when they made an agreement, he almost reluctantly agrees with everyone else, when I couldn't help but feel he wanted to say no because of the scene before.

I agree about Keira - there was something about her that put me off - a bit snobbish or perhaps she wanted to be a pirate and felt she was made of the same cloth as the men, but they fit the role whereas I didn't think she did. Maybe it was lack of expression or passion; can't put my finger on it but she didn't rock my world with her performance.
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Tararith

I personally thought that Elizabeth was annoying more than anything in this film--I'm not a Keira Knightley fan at all, but I definitely didn't like her in this especially when she's acting like a child and having a tantrum on the beach when Will, Jack and Norrington are fighting over the key.

My favourite part is still Jack's entrance in the beginning when he shoots the crow and emerges from the coffin. "Sorry mate", he says as he rips the leg off the corpse and rows away with it--JUST CLASSIC!!!!
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Passionately Enthralled

My favorite part of the movie -- the part that showed the most imagination -- was the "swinging cages" scene, and the music that played during it (something waltzy-classical, I think).

I also loved the "skewered" Jack Sparrow scene, when he was tied by rope to a long stick, with all the melons on each end -- and he runs and vaults his way to safety.

One more part that lingers in my memory is the part where Will is trying to get the key from Davy Jones, while Jones sleeps. That was so gross -- did you see the tenacle wrapping itself around the stick in Will's hand ??
Orlando played it perfectly !!!

Great movie.
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
jamminn

I saw the movie yesterday, and am so happy that I managed to stay away from most spoilers and reviews this time. Yeah, I saw various pictures and some of the TV spots, and knew the basic story, but I didn't watch much else.

I love the movie; went with my sister at noon Saturday, since everything was sold out the night before!! We literally hurt from laughing when we left. The first scenes with the eyeballs being plucked out bothered me a bit, but only because that is a particular 'squick' for me. I liked the darker tone, and really think they needed to go that way if they wanted to do any kind of sequels or character developement.

Overall, I found the pacing great, a little slow at first yes, but it was like being 'lured' in... everyone just waiting to see what is going to happen. It was hilarious, full of action and wonderfully shot. I honestly didn't notice the time passing, and as I hurt if I sit too long, this was impressive. The plots didn't confuse me at all, but then I love complexity and thinking things through. I also found the darker mix with the mostly intelligent humour to be impressive. It was a great crazy adventure and I damn near was sick I was laughing so hard in places. I also thought the make-up for Davy Jones and crew was amazing and very inventive. Unlike some, I found him to be a believable villan and not just 'pure evil' as some have stated; if he was, he wouldn't be concerned about certain things. And his eyes, they showed emotion and hurt.

I loved Jack again, but didn't think that his character really evolved of all of them, but that was fine. Just to see him doing that crazy run across a rope bridge, made me totally appreciate the man's athleticism, not to mention his focus on staying in character.

Elizabeth I found very uneven, as some of you did; I liked her very much in the first film, and didn't have a problem with her becoming more 'piratey', but the whining was definitely annoying and not too much in character I felt.

Norrington, I was pleasantly surprised by his development, and curious to see what else he gets up to; is he a mirror of Jack?

The pompous Lord whatever-his-name-was... I found very subpar and one dimentional and not at all threatening. He was a waste of screen time for me, and I found myself really wishing for someone with some presence to have the role. Sean Bean comes to mind, for someone who can really play pompous, but cold and nasty at the same time; someone I would believe could easily command the Guv'nor around and concoct things.

While I loved seeing the two mismatched pirates back again (can never remember their names!), I felt their scenes were a little overdone or they were in it just a bit too much. I did get a kick out of the one with the missing eye coming up with all this new stuff, but it was never in his character before and felt a wee bit misplaced.

Will, thought he did a wonderful job, but sometimes his vocal delivery seemed off, but I have always felt that he really needs to work on his voice. It works in some places, but he still needs more inflection in it. The hurt look on his face when Elizabeth kisses Jack, and the wonderful facial comedy he does reacting to Jack mostly, are priceless and he should do more comedy - he's a natural.

Overall, I LOVED this movie and hope to sneak out and see it again today, to see if I can actually absorb more!

Last edited by jamminn; July 9th, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Bewitched

Whoooo-eeeeee! I just got home from the movies and I hafta say I LOVED IT!

A barrel of laughs … all the way through, except for a couple moments that were actually poignant. (Okay, and one where I really cringed.) As a whole ... rip-roaring fun all the way! I give it five stars .. an A+ ... and any other superlative rating floating around.

Jack’s entrance really was every bit as good as #1’s … the writers are still geniuses (the constant wordplay tickles me no end). I love Jack’s duplicitousness, still adore his sashaying. I wholeheartedly approve of Will and Elizabeth’s darker turns… and even the new little Napoleonic bad guy was nicely nasty. I loved that Norrington has done a complete turn-around from prim and pompous to ratty and devious and ... human. One of my favorite new characters has to be Tia Dalma – she was delicious! And Will … our beloved Will… is dashing and daring and steadfast and impressive as hell. Aaaaargh! Stepping into captain’s boots, he is, me mateys.

Thought you could definitely see the 3 years’ growth in Orlando. Especially in his voice. You go, baby! And now the news that the estimated take for the opening weekend is at $132M … breaking all records. For all of the nay-sayers, this puts him squarely in the middle of some of the highest-grossing films of ALL TIME. Nyah! Let the critics who don’t love this hilarious and fast-paced romp go watch paint dry somewhere … phooey on ya! I’m going back again and again (and even my stick-in-the-mud SU said he’d go back!).

:deep breath:

Okay. Okay. I'm calming down now. I'm gonna go back and read all of this thread to see what you've all been saying. I've never stayed this un-spoiled for this long!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA... I'm still the last post so I'll just add my comments. Guess everyone is still at the theaters.

Okay … I’ve read through this thread now. Have to say, I’m a tad surprised that many are so critical of Orlando - not just this role, but his abilities. Of course we all have our own tastes, but one wonders why so many here don’t seem to like him. Hmm.

I could make this a very short post by referring everyone back to leggybelle’s, sored’s, aniviel’s, and jamminn’s posts. (Of course, I won’t. ) I guess I’m well and truly in the group who thinks as they do.

Quote:
...Will was the stand out character for me. Will is more commanding, more authoritative, and shows the greater range, going from the sincere earnestness in the prison with Elizabeth, and with his father on the Dutchman, to the brash bravado while hanging upside down from a tree, to barking orders while taking on the Kraken. I feel Orlando really nailed Will and gave a very solid performance...
Ditto.

This film shouldn’t hurt his cred at. all. And I so agree with folks who are thinking he has a gift for comedy. I hope he does some more that doesn’t require swashbuckling in the mix, just for a change.

It’s amazing … well, actually it shouldn’t be, I guess … how varied our reactions are. In spite of trying to stay largely un-spoiled, I heard that the plot was confusing, so I paid careful attention, and – except for the end when Davy’s heart was moving around as fast as the swordplay and I lost track of it (as they no doubt hoped we would) – I had little trouble with the plot. It did take some very careful listening to all the accents. Davy’s thoroughly chewed Scots and Tia Dalma’s thick twang took concentration and I know I missed some of their lines. Received pronunciation is a lot easier to decipher.

Being the second chunk of a longer story, of course there will be references and old jokes arcing back to the first chapter. And the characters are familiar, not fresh and brand new, so expecting something completely novel from them is a bit unrealistic, isn’t it? I liked all the running jokes and flashbacks to POTC1’s humor, and the set pieces from the ride certainly belonged there as well – homage to where it all began back when we thought they were friggin’ nuts to do this at all.

I didn’t perceive Davy Jones as evil through and through. A real bada$$, yeah … but as someone mentioned, his eyes told a tale. His actions were black – particularly vile was his handing the whip to Bootstrap, I thought. That was a viciously cruel gesture (that Bootstrap turned around as much as he could). But the simple notion that he’s ripped out his own heart and buried it … shrug … because it hurt too much? Maybe there’s more to his tale.

I also think that Elizabeth has been a pirate for a long time … fascinated as a child, conniving and headstrong as an adult, willing to jump into the fray. I think her shtick on the beach was just frustration because no one was listening to her … she fell back on what had worked before as a spoiled princess. Didn’t work anymore. And what she did to Jack … cold, yes, and using … but if we accept that she’s in love with Will and wants him (as her comment from behind bars suggests), wouldn’t she do anything to save him … to stop anyone she thought was a threat to him? Even attempted murder? I’m not a huge fan of Keira, but I think she does this role just fine. (And they managed to make her appear to have boobs again! [/snark] )

This whole movie is meant to be utterly OTT, so the frenetic scrambling action and convoluted plot are completely appropriate, IMHO. For me, this is such a glad change from other fare we are offered, that I welcome it with open arms. (The stuff that was shown ahead of this film in my theater included about 5 things about football. Who needs that many football stories? And something with Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher that takes place in a roiling ocean with helicopters and trapped divers. Give me a pirate, thankyew.)

Did anyone else have a RL flash when Jack hung onto the palm tree then landed on the ground with the coconuts? Was that a precursor to the arrival of his father in #3? (just kidding)

I’ll most defintely go back to see it again, probably more than once. It has everything – comedy (I laughed aloud and grinned through almost the entire thing – my face was tired), action (the bone cage sequence was my fav, I think), poignancy (Will & Bill – that whole arc was when I wasn’t grinning … awwww), action (homage to Erroll on the sail with the knife was the least of it), darkness (Davy Jones’ cruel actions, Elizabeth’s vengeful nature, etc.), fanbloodytastic CGI creatures to rival the ones from the SW Cantina). This movie is a winner. Let’s see how far it goes this summer. D’ya figure we’ll have the first DVD by Christmas?

Last edited by LadyNin; July 9th, 2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Mirkwood Archer

Location: Sixth tree to the left of the sleeping Ent, Eryn Lassgalen
I have a fairly huge, completely spoilerful review, and a bit of an essay on each character's goals and decisions on my lj, which I won't repeat here.

But I will say, I have seen it twice and loved it both times!

The next bit will be full of spoilers, but it looks like were not using spoiler tags anymore, yeah?

I like the new 'darkness' in this film. It reminds me of Star Wars and the Harry Potter books. It's as if the franchise is 'growing up'. I was less enamored of the new gross-out features such as the plucking out of the eyeball, the sea slugs on Bootstrap, same eating the crab, and the kracken sliming Jack. But it wasn't enough to make me dislike the movie, I just knew when to look away the second time!

I loved Elizabeth and Will getting closer and closer to the bars until Liz said "If it weren't for these bars I'd have you right now" - Yeah baby! And her father accidentally broke off a piece of the candle sconce (shades of potc 1) in discomfort. That scene was hot.

I think Orlando's performance was perfect. In that scene, when he turns to the Governor and asks him "Is that a lack of faith in Jack, or in me?" We see right away that this is the Will from the very end of POTC 1. A confident man, who says what he means.

I loved when he took charge in the bone cage and got everyone working together.

His fight against Jones' crew with the flaming sword was a great piece. Notice that no one ever bests Will in a swordfight, they have to keep sneaking up and knocking him out! Or knock him out with a dart.

I loved his delivery when he was telling Jones he was sent to settle Jack's debt. You could tell he didn't know what saying that was going to mean or what would happen to him then. Yet it was funny!

His sincerity and his bit of a dig at Bill when he was leaving the Dutchman was wondeful. "I take this with a promise, I will find a way to see you free of this. I will not abandon you." It was a subtle inflection, but it was there, the unspoken (like you abandoned me). Yet he meant it, he will keep his promise.

I thought his kiss with Elizabeth was very sexy!

I noticed it was always Orlando who had to keep running backward while swordfighting on the water wheel! *LOL*

I do think the funniest part was when the wheel finally fell over and he and Norrington were so dizzy!

The way he took command when the kracken attacked the Pearl was so natural and powerful! I especially liked him trying to keep everyone cool while waiting to fire the cannons. "Easy Boys! Steady!"

And then when he got his foot caught in the net of gunpowder and rum and yelled to Elizabeth to shoot anyway! What a hero!

But, like other people have mentioned, the look on his face when he saw Elizabeth kiss Jack was just heart breaking. The shock and pain. BUt even better, in fact the best Will scene in my opinion, was when Elizabeth sat down in the boat and Will asked, with a bit of a challenge, or maybe a smirk, "Where's Jack?" and he kept staring at her with those dark eyes. It was just perfect!

Then at Tia Dalma's he looked so angry and yet hopeless. I LOVED him throwing the knife into the table repeatedly. And when he saw Elizabeth was so upset, even after he'd seen what he'd seen, and even though it was Jack whom she was mourning, still, he loved her enough to say that if there was anything could be done, he'd do it! Beautifully played.

Great movie! I may go see it AGAIN even!

Dair
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Good points, Dair. I've only seen it once so far, so when I see it for the second time tomorrow, I'll especially look for the things you said. Overall, I thought Will stole the movie. He is so good in this type of a role......shades of Harrison Ford (and for us older folks, Errol Flynn) !!!

Just saw this line in Lady Nin's post:

Quote:
Did anyone else have a RL flash when Jack hung onto the palm tree then landed on the ground with the coconuts? Was that a precursor to the arrival of his father in #3? (just kidding)
Priceless !!!

Last edited by Leggybelle; July 10th, 2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:53 AM
jamminn

"Okay … I’ve read through this thread now. Have to say, I’m a tad surprised that many are so critical of Orlando - not just this role, but his abilities. Of course we all have our own tastes, but one wonders why so many here don’t seem to like him. Hmm.

I could make this a very short post by referring everyone back to leggybelle’s, sored’s, aniviel’s, and jamminn’s posts. (Of course, I won’t. ) I guess I’m well and truly in the group who thinks as they do."

Thanks LadyNin, just wanted to clarify one thing, for myself anyway: the only reason I may sound critical of Orlando's abilities, is because I honestly believe he has the ability to become even better. I think he's terrific now for sure, but I just see a few tiny details that he could work on to really up the ante. The voice for one, has always bothered me; it stands out, and not in a good way. It sounds forced and unnatural. Now, I just got back from seeing it a second time, and I found I liked it better, so maybe it's growing on me! As Orlando himself has repeatedly said, he is still growing and improving and knows he has more to do, so I'm not saying anything much that he isn't already aware of; only I may be more specific and of course this is only my opinion.
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:49 AM
whyterose3

I haven't paid much attention to what the critics have said prior to the film. Mostly because I didn't want to hear anything negative, and secondly I didn't give a rats patoot, and third, well I didn't give a rat's patoot.

I think the critics need to realize and take into consideration that right out of drama school, Orli went into the LOTR films. From the first film to the third, he matured in his acting ability.

Folks didn't like Troy, but then again if they knew the history, they would realize he acted exactly the way Paris most likely was - not a warrior like Hector but a ladies man in ancient history.

He was criticized for Elizabethtown, and OK, it wasn't his strongest performance but he does a good job it of it without the swords, arrows and pointy ears.

KOH - sorry to them, but I thought the film like Troy was excellent. OK, I'm a history buff and a bit prejudiced but he carried it off well. The way he enunicates his lines and the cool smouldering looks well supported the role.

The first POTC was more of a supporting role to Depp, and perhaps he and Keira held back again and let the pro Depp get his due, but this second one was a new ballgame.

I still am not overly chuffed with Keira, and thought she tried to hard - too phony - something but does anyone else here know what I'm getting at?

Depp was well - he was himself - no complaints in his part.

But, Orlando went to the next level on all counts. Sexy in his kissing scenes with Keira. Funny in various parts - and takes charge with the bone cage, but really comes into his own when he faces his father. Even when his father has to lash him (did anyone notice the mild scar in the middle of his back from his surgery - still a sexy and well defined back) but he takes no sympathy from his father, but yet shows his father mercy when he says he will not desert him.

Aside from the funny and sexy scenes, the one that stands out in my mind is when he sees Keira kissing Depp. It is heartwrenching to see and you want to just reach out to comfort him, but his cold eyes at Keira tells her you may not know that i know what you did, but I know. He still is the loyal Will from the first film when he has every right to tell Jack to rot, but he reluctantly agees he'd help him. He does it willingly knowing he feels betrayed by both of them, but the chivalry in him makes him agree.

Part Three will be just as good. Three great story lines so far - rescue of Jack, will they or won't they wed, and Will saves his dad. Now how they are going to rescue Jack, and what Geoffrey Rush's character will do makes it all the more exciting.

Next July can't come fast enough.
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:42 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairwendan
The next bit will be full of spoilers, but it looks like were not using spoiler tags anymore, yeah?
Yeah, I think it's OK not to use spoilers anymore, in a thread for fan reviews anyway. No spoilers in other threads would be nice.

I've seen the film three times now ((( hugs to all OL'ers with me who put up with incessant squealing and drooling )) and I loved it. I had no problems with the pacing or with the plot, enjoyed the special effects immensely, and really laughed LOUDLY at parts. Johnny was brilliant and I loved the characters of Tia Dalma and Davy Jones. A fun fun movie, though I too was squicked with the crows at the beginning YUCK!

Aside from the obvious flogging scene... I have two words... swinging balls.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Photo Fanatic

Since so many have already written what I thought of the film, I won't reiterate. Except to say that I thought Orlando did a great job and has, indeed, improved since POTC(1). Never mind he is still the most beautiful man I have ever seen!!! I've always his face was the most expressive part of his body (no cracks please! I know you folks!), but it certainly was evident here. And so on and so on...

As for "At World's End" or whatever they end up calling it - I believe Jerry Bruckheimer claims Memorial Day as Opening Day next year. So, less than a year to go!!!
Old July 10th, 2006, 05:36 AM
luv4ever

all you lucky people. i feel so deprived. i wont get to see it til the 18th. i cant wait any longer.
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:33 AM
10th Doctor's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyneth
I have two words... swinging balls.

Yeah, nice.

Wish I could write a coherent review but my brain shorted out after the shirt ripping/flogging thing. I know I did a lot of laughing and enjoyed the film immensely. Have seen it three times and had to put up with Llyn's gasping and moaning each and every time.

I have no complaints. Will was wet......a lot.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM
sweet.luvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein
I have no complaints. Will was wet......a lot.
hahah i dont think anyone in their right mind would complain about that I mean..
COME ON!!!! ----->

also...was it just me? Or was Orlando wearing his own charm necklace in the movie?

if u look they all look the same with the same silver thing on it..except in the movie he has a red one and a yellow one...cud just be my imagination though lol
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Saw it! Loved it! Saw it again! Loved it even more! Can't say it enough I guess.

I really like how they carried the storyline on and gave it more depth. Its not just a slapstick comedy. The writers did a really great job at the details and humor.

Johnny was brilliant as expected - loved his entrance into the film. So great. You really see more of the 'devious pirate' in him in this film.Kiera was marvelous, though I have to say a tad annoying here and there but it fit her character. Bit of a love triangle going on there I'd have to say.

I really loved how they beefed up Orlando's role too. More depth and emotion to it, not just the stick in the mud straight man. He was very strong in this role this time around and SO nice to see that. So proud of him in this. I could definately see the pirate coming out in his character too. Have to say I more than a little at the floggin scene and cringed with him at the look on his face. *le sigh* Kiera was marvelous, though I have to say a tad annoying here and there but it fit her character.

Davy Jones is AWESOME!! The FX are just spectacular. Jerry Bruckheimer is right - he said in an interview that on the 2nd or 3rd showing he forced himself to look away from the screen when Jones in on and he found that the audience was doing the same thing he did - Staring at the screen. He is phenominal and you really do get Billy Nighy under all those tenticles. His voice and his eyes are there and carry so much of that character too. Wonderful!! Also have to say that the crew of the Flying Dutchman are Creepy with a capital CREEP - yet you still get that Disney pirate humor in each one. They did surpass the skeletal pirates by leaps and bounds.

Have to admit that Tia Dalhma is a little hard to understand but the second time around I had no problems with that. I also caught bits in pieces in the 2nd viewing that I didn't see in the first - love that when it happens in films.

Overall I ADORED this film even more than the first one. This one really gives you a feeling of a total story and I can't wait to see how it ends up with number 3. This definatley had a LOT of memorable lines too, just as the first one did. The rum jokes are still there including my favorite line from Capn Jack...

Spoiler

Overall - Two thumbs - Way UP!!

Last edited by BellaU; July 10th, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:51 PM
AT-AT Love

Quote:

I could only repeat everything that everyone has already said. Awesome movie!

I uh, also have a thing for Stellan's (Bootstrap) voice!
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

I was away for the weekend and was too tired last night to get through everything at the board. Feeling tired again now so will make this kinda short...

I remember seeing at the time (both times, saw it again on Friday), but I did also pick up on the crab on Tia Dalma's table. When she was first talking about the love story behind Davy Jones I almost thought it could have been her, but then there were a few things she said that made me think she was actually talking about someone else. I think she definately knows more about it than what she told the group earlier.
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
manwathiel

[QUOTE=Tararith]I personally thought that Elizabeth was annoying more than anything in this film--I'm not a Keira Knightley fan at all, but I definitely didn't like her in this especially when she's acting like a child and having a tantrum on the beach when Will, Jack and Norrington are fighting over the key.[QUOTE]

i have to disagree with you on that just because i loved that. i thought it was just so funny and amusing.

i've seen the movie twice now and i still absolutly love it!!!! i am disapointed in that some of the lines are different in the movie then in the previews. Did anyone happen to catch jack saying " i was just an almost inocent bistandard" because i still have yet to hear it.
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Just Another Freak

Quote:

I'm terrible for reviews, but I must say that I LOVED this movie. The first time I saw the movie was with the rest of the guys and gals at the meet and that was after being up for 24 hrs. I was still able to follow the plot easily. So, it's very strange to me that people found it hard to keep up.

In any case, to compare this to Star Wars (because, really, I must ), I see the Empire Strikes Back reactions going on. When any fan is asked now what their favorite Star Wars movie is, almost all of them will answer ESB. But, at the time it came out, people HATED it. They didn't like how dark the series became, the cliff hanger ending, the various subplots and the evolution of the characters.

It's great that this movie was considerably darker and more complex than the first one. The characters (especially Will) had much more depth and evolved in (sometimes) surprising ways.

I think that Orlando was perfect in this movie. As Amby said, this is the first time that I haven't cringed at one line that he has spoken. Will's character was so much more commanding this time around, and I'm glad that Orlando did his character turn justice. Although, Will is still the upstanding, honorable man he was in the first movie if just not so stiff.

There are a few things that did bother me. The rum jokes got tiresome, Lord Beckett was terribly two dimensional, and, at times, Elizabeth was WAY over the top. But, that was all far outweighed by all of the great things about the movie.

Again, overall, LOVED the movie. I can't wait to see it again. (And, er, see Will being flogged again. )
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Bewitched

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminn
... Thanks LadyNin, just wanted to clarify one thing, for myself anyway: the only reason I may sound critical of Orlando's abilities, is because I honestly believe he has the ability to become even better. I think he's terrific now for sure, but I just see a few tiny details that he could work on to really up the ante. The voice for one, has always bothered me; it stands out, and not in a good way. It sounds forced and unnatural. Now, I just got back from seeing it a second time, and I found I liked it better, so maybe it's growing on me! As Orlando himself has repeatedly said, he is still growing and improving and knows he has more to do, so I'm not saying anything much that he isn't already aware of; only I may be more specific and of course this is only my opinion.
I understand that, jamminn. I get carried away and defensive sometimes with my Orlando-flag-waving, but I can also see him realistically. Of course there's room for improvement (and I am eager to watch it happen ) I agree with you and others about his voice, and I really thought it was better in this outing. I know he said he'd worked on it a lot for Balian and it was noticeable there as well. He's finding the resonance and strength that his young voice lacked and is learning how to use and project it well. Just because I can, I also want to say I think he's quite good at accents. I didn't hear much Brit in Drew at all and I'm looking forward to a southern American one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_erupt
It's great that this movie was considerably darker and more complex than the first one. The characters (especially Will) had much more depth and evolved in (sometimes) surprising ways.

I think that Orlando was perfect in this movie. ... Lord Beckett was terribly two dimensional, and, at times, Elizabeth was WAY over the top. But, that was all far outweighed by all of the great things about the movie.
I thought the darkness was wonderful and added such depth to the story which had pretty much been a fun farce in #1. I was a bit surprised at the psychological cruelty they gave to Davy - a sophisticated concept for Disney-type stuff - but thought it was deliciously evil.

Of course Orlando was perfect!

I kept wishing Lord Beckett was an alter-ego of Jason Isaacs. (a la Col. Tavington in The Patriot) His kind of vile, nasty, arrogant, unremitting meanness would have fit right in with Davy's.

Elizabeth was over the top ... gee, maybe her character is more like Jack than we originally thought!

Last edited by LadyNin; July 10th, 2006 at 07:56 PM.