Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > Dead Man's Chest

Old July 6th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Just saw POTC: Dead Man's Chest - fan reviews

I just saw the film. The first thing I want to say is I found it very entertaining, and I loved the ending... Lots of fantastic special effects and spectacular fights, humour and Jack doing what Jack does best. But - I have to say I was disappointed in Orlando's performance... He looked very good and did really well in all the action scenes but I just found myself cringing with a lot of his dialogue delivery. I'd almost say he was better in the first movie. I don't know, I will go and see the film at least once more and see if I still feel the same way. I didn't expect this at all, I have to say, and maybe it's just me. Looking forward to hearing what other people think.

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

I'm sorry you felt that way, GeminiGirl I just wrote my review in the reviews thread (cause I was too dumb to start a new thread!). I thought Orlando was great. Maybe you'll enjoy it more if you see it again? I'm taking the kids tomorrow.
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I did enjoy the film in general Liriel, and I will also be taking my kids to see it soon. I really was taken aback by how I felt, Orlando seemed self-conscious to me somehow, in a way I only saw in one scene in the first film (where he springs Jack out of jail and says 'hurry, someone will have heard that'). I really hope it was only my imagination...

~Gem~

Old July 6th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

I didn't feel that he was self-conscious, except maybe a bit when he was talking to Beckett at the beginning, but he would be kind of tentative and unsure in a situation like that. I hope your second viewing is better for you, Gem! Maybe when I go see it again tomorrow I'll think about your comments and see what you mean? *grin*

Okay, I went back to the reviews thread and copied my review from there to here, where it belongs.

WOW! I'm just back from watching POTC-DMC, and may I just say it is absof**kinglutely awesome!!!!

Jack's entrance was soooo cool! I would put spoilers, but I don't know how to, so I'm going to try and do this review without giving anything away. Anyone who wants details can pm me.

The scene between Will and Elizabeth at the jail was very touching, and what you don't see in the pictures we have is that it's Governor Swann who brings Will to see Elizabeth (after Will has had his interview with Beckett who is a total slimy toad). That doesn't mean that Swann is on the bad guy's side, just that Will needed his clout to be allowed in to see Elizabeth.

Elizabeth is very tricksy... she just won't stay put! Gave her father a scare when he thought she was going to be taken again just after he'd broken her out of jail.

It was very clever how Elizabeth got to Tortuga... the wedding dress plays a part.

You realize more in this movie than in the first one that Jack really is a scoundrel who'd sell his own mother for a dollar. He's constantly playing both ends against the middle and always looking out for himself, sometimes to the detriment of his supposed friends. You also get to see what Jack looks like when he's being a coward... made me giggle. He's so cute.

Elizabeth in the first movie was an innocent, well brought up young lady with a fascination with pirates. In this movie, her character evolves quite a lot. You find out that she very much is a pirate in her soul. She will do whatever it takes to get the outcome she wants. Through it all, the only constant is her love for Will, although, even at the end of the movie she does something that I think totally breaks Will's heart.

Will's character I think remains the most similar to what it was at the end of Curse of the Black Pearl. He's still loyal, honest, wanting to do the right thing, and caring perhaps far too much about what happens to others.

Just a little fangirl note here... the flogging! Bare back, rippling muscles... I won't tell you why he's getting a flogging, but Bootstrap delivers the flogging.

The three-way swordfight between Will, Jack, and Norrington is totally awesome! Alliances are constantly changing during the whole fight, and the ending, when the mill wheel winds up in the ocean is

Norrington is a scummy little sh*t.... bad boy (and not in a good way!) He needs a spanking for what he's done!

Tia Dalma is very cool, but I sometimes felt that subtitles would have been good when she was talking

Ragetti and Pintel are hilarious! They bicker like an old married couple! The skinny one (sorry, I don't know who's who in that pair) was always coming out with these very intelligent, highbrow comments.... like near the end when he goes on about the "dichotomy of good versus evil".

Davy Jones is evil personified (of course, he's got no heart!) and his crew are awesome. Watch out for the bit with the conch head in the jungle!

Barbossa's entrance made me grin, of course you know he had to be eating an apple!

There were a lot of references to things that happened in the first movie, which was really cool.

It's worth the wait until the credits finish rolling too... LOVE the scene with the cannibals at the end!

This movie gets five stars from me! You honestly don't even realize that time is passing... the most enjoyable 2 1/2 hours I've spent in a very long time! I'm going to see it again with the elflings tomorrow!

P3 is gonna be awesome! (btw, the pics of Jack on the beach in the chinese uniform ARE from P3, someone somewhere said they were from 2... nope)

Last edited by Liriel; July 6th, 2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:44 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Spoilers ahoy... EDIT- added tags

I thought it was brilliant.

While it's definately Jack's show, I did think that Orlando did pretty well. I feel the same as you Gem about that particular line in the first movie, but didn't pick up anything like that myself in this one. I'll be going to see it again tomorrow too, so will try taking more notice of things like that.

Anyhow, I (and everybody else in the cinema I deem) laughed lots. As I have just mentioned to my sister, it was clever funny not silly funny. I am glad I'd stayed away from reading reviews and spoilers (aside from what we saw in pics, and trailers. I haven't watched any of the clips yet aside from a few in interviews). As my sister was about to see it at her cinema she mentioned in a text to me something about a big spoiler she'd come across ages ago- she told me after that the spoiler she'd heard was that
Spoiler

I'm still trying to process all my thoughts about it at the moment, but I think one of my fav Will parts was when the canibals captured him and he was wanting to fight them hanging upside down and swinging about

Last edited by Avalon Mists; July 6th, 2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM
British Boy Lovin' Goon

I'm going to ask a really, really dumb question to throw everyone off. How have you seen the movie?? I thought it doesn't come out until Friday, 12 AM! Or well, Thursday Midnight. Did some cities do Wednesday Midnight showings?
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Human News Ticker

It comes out on the 6th in Australia Anna.
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Anna, here in Australia it opened today. Sometimes we get something first...

~Gem~

Old July 6th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

uh, yeah, what they said! *grin* I'm so very glad movies open here on Thursdays!

That was a great part, AvalonMist! "I could do this all day!" Uh huh, sure you could, Will. One dart and it's all over!
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Utterly Obsessed

I'M GONNA SEE IT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!*BURST* I might just sleep the whole day so i dont have to think about waiting ! Eek! Okay I'll shut up cause I know you don't care.
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM
sweet.luvin

hahah it took ALL my strength NOT to read that spoiler tag above hahaha i started to and stopped myself..i can handle it! I CAN control myself until Friday lol...at least I hope I can lol
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM
jsclark86

I just saw the film and there is only one word to describe it...AWESOME! It was absolutely spectacular and I can't wait to see it again.

I totally agree with everything Liriel said about it. There is so much detail in this film that you really have to be paying attention.

All of the cast was excellent and I absolutely loved Orlando is this and I thought he did better than the first and the scene where Will is beeing flogged *fan girl squeal* SKIN! But really, it's the reason why Will is being flogged that matters

The length wasn't too bad. I did notice a few times where the plot needed help, but it wasn't taht bad. Also, so many critics have been saying the beginning is too slow, but I didn't feel that way at all. As compared to the second half of the film, yes, the beginning is slow, but not to the point where one would dislike the film.

As I said before, this film is AWESOME and I can't wait to see it again.
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Yeah, lucky, lucky Aussies actually get a major movie like this before the US.

OK, more thoughts now that I've read the reviews thread and had time to think myself, and more spoiler tags
Warning- this is a long, long post. I think I see cobwebs appearing already

It seems that the biggest thing people have against is the length. I myself didn't find this the case at all. In fact, when the end came I almost thought "Isn't there anymore?" (and not for the cliff hanger ending). I think I could have handled a bit more The other criticism some have had is the complex plot, and the feeling that it gets a bit buried or complex. Perhaps there is a bit of that. The action does tend to make you forget the plot a bit perhaps, and there are so many storylines/motivations weaving along that if you are trying to follow the plot all the way through (and not be entertained by the action) you probably would end up with a massive headache. And end up missing the point- this movie is entertainment. It's fun, it's action, but that doesn't mean the plot suffers for credibility (as far as it is intended).

Before I go any further I will also say that I notice a couple of lines that were pressent in the trailers are missing from the theatrical release. Not so much missing as being replaced with different lines. Obviously there were different takes with different lines, and I actually think that while what was in the actual movie probably worked better I also think that what was in the trailers worked better for them too.

In refence to Liriel's review above...
I loved the references to the first movie (though I think they pulled up just short of going too far with them). When Will was talking to Elizabeth in the cell, Swann breaks off the wall-mounted candlestick reminiscent of Will's first scene in CotBP. Also when Elizabeth was in the cell, the other prisoners calling out to her like the prisoners were to the dog in the first film.
Jack is certainly a complex character. He appears to be so many things, and yet many of them are contradictory. I do agree somewhat with what Elizabeth says about Jack being a good man. When it comes down to really important stuff I think he is. While he so often does things purely for himself with little regard for how it will affect others, I think he would also do the same thing for those people important to him if need be. Maybe, sometimes He isn't totally carefree. He did go back to the Pearl.
Aaaiiii, the flogging! Or at least, the ripping of the shirt before the flogging.
Spoiler

The mill wheel fight is just awesome! The whole thing is like a 3-way see-saw really (bizarre concept I know). The way it all plays out is just brilliant.
Ah, Norrington. Didn't trust him. From the start really. Just knew there had to be a greater reason for him wanting to go along with Jack. Good to see the supporting characters have these dimensions.
Davy Jones might have (spoiler here, even though Billy Nighy gave this away in a red carpet interview from the London premiere- I was p!ssed at that)
Spoiler

I also meant to mention the bit after the credits. I was going to sit watching right to the end anyway, but when my sister sent me a message telling me to (the session she saw it at was 30 mins ahead of me) I knew there was going to be something like I hoped. So funny and brilliant, I clapped!

The effects are stunning of course. The Kraken is awesome. It looks fantastic and what it does is fabulous. Davy Jones and his crew just look stunning, so realistic. No, not realistic, just real. Bill Nighy certainly did a lot physically even though his face was covered with CGI. His head movements I found most intriguing.
Loved Gibb's introduction to the film. It was also great to see Marty Kleeba get some dialogue, and be much more prominent.
Elizabeth has certianly developed from the first film. While I don't think she has ever wanted to be a helpless female, I think she's definately more prepared to do anything for what she wants. I think that was the main reason for her kissing Jack, but not the only reason of course.
Spoiler

Will I agree with what was said in some of the reviews in regards to his screen time. Even though plot wise he has a major part and a lot to do, I don't think he have that much screen time (comparatively). I think he does make the most of it though (on first viewing ) As far as his charater goes, he's definately grown. He's more confident with making decisions and taking action.
Jack. Who can but love Jack. The rogue. He's just more of everything he was in the first film, but not too much (could there be too much?). His entrance was spectacular again, and just so totally Jack. I said earlier how I think there is some good in him. I'll go further to say that
Spoiler
He just hopes people don't find out or work out what happened, and perhaps why.
I was not at all surprised to see the monkey's reappearance. But I certianly want to know how
Spoiler
I suspect we'll find out in the third movie. I certainly hope we do.

Oh yes, fangirl moment, but it is a jolly good rollicking ride. Thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining.

Er yeah, I loved this film. I do wonder how they are going to match it (perhaps surpass it?) with the third installment. I think they will manage it, and probably in a totally surprising way if this is anything to go by.
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
sparklingspanky

oh.my.god. Just got back from seeing it, had to go after school. And i have only 2 words to describe it- THE BEST!!! it was just brilliant, so different from the first one, but is extremely funny!!! I'm going back on saturday to see it, because i just loved it... I was so surprised to see Orlando featured in so much of it, it looked like he had as much screen time as Johnny... And keira's tan was a little to... brown, but yeah, i just loved it
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

It would be interesting to see minutes-wise how much time the major characters get. Maybe my feeling that Will isn't there as much comes from wanting to see more of him

And I totally forgot to mention before the last time we see Jack in the movie.
Oh gods.
Spoiler
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Nariel Vardamir

Glad to see that I am not the only one here want to see the movie more than once. Please feel free to call me crazy, I went to the 11am session of the movie at Melbourne central, the movie is unreal, and then after I got home tried to write some review for my friends, I felt the urgent to see it again, so call me crazy I went to Jame Factory to see it for the second time.
GOD, twice within 7 hours. (never mind, since I rescheduled my plan to be able to watch the movie in the first place, no reason why not use the full capacity.)
Same as the first pirate movie, Jack is the star, but I have to say Will has improved a lot in this one, not only the way Orlando plays it, but the character is also improved adequately, especially his leadership and intelligent. Be honest, there are a few places, Orlando can need some help with the lines, as overall, I think his performance has improved very much.
The movie is very entertaining, even when I watched it second time, there are a few scenes made me laugh every time I watch it.
Canít wait all of you see it, so we can discuss them in details.
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks for all your postings, Aussie Gals......It's great to hear how much you all enjoyed the movie !!! I can't wait -- but I have to 'til tomorrow (Friday). I already have my tickets for an early showing.

Will gets flogged?? Oh, no ! I won't be able to watch that part.......
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Missy Jo

^ No trust me, you WILL.

I just came back from seeing it this morning - and I have mixed feelings about it. IMO, the producers/director/whoever thought that spectacular special effects could make up for lack of plot, and perhaps even create it. And some of the special effects were amazing, but I can't help thinking they were a substitute for the plot. I found the plot itself a little hard to follow and it was, at times, confusing.

There are, however, some great moments of comedy and a few SHOCKING surprises, most of them coming at the end........

But the one thing that made the film all worthwhile (leaving aside the more-magnificent-than-ever Cap'n Jack) was THAT scene on board The Flying Dutchman when Will is strapped to a rack, and we see The Pretty's flesh!!!

I'll say no more!
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:29 PM
MissAndrea

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANNA SEE IT!!!!!!

I won't get to until the 26th. (It opens on the 27th in Germany). It was a special offer watching both POTC and DMC.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Totally loved it, I just got back,am rubbish at reviews and I would so give away stuff.
Didnt do the credits but going again tomorrow so will stay a tad longer.
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Lysistrata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Jo
^ No trust me, you WILL.

I just came back from seeing it this morning - and I have mixed feelings about it. IMO, the producers/director/whoever thought that spectacular special effects could make up for lack of plot, and perhaps even create it. And some of the special effects were amazing, but I can't help thinking they were a substitute for the plot. I found the plot itself a little hard to follow and it was, at times, confusing.

There are, however, some great moments of comedy and a few SHOCKING surprises, most of them coming at the end........

But the one thing that made the film all worthwhile (leaving aside the more-magnificent-than-ever Cap'n Jack) was THAT scene on board The Flying Dutchman when Will is strapped to a rack, and we see The Pretty's flesh!!!

I'll say no more!
I guess i'll have to see about the plot. SOme say that it is to intertwined and some say the exact opposite.
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Tararith

I went to see the press and staff screening of Pirates 2 last night with my dad as my fiancee got us in for free because he works at a cinema. Personally, I thought it was a very good entertaining film but I still prefer the first film. I though Johnny was terrific, but then again I didn't expect anything less!

I thought it seemed to drag on in parts and some of the lines were a little cheesy. Orlando's performance in my opinion certainly wasn't his best! I have always thought that he's better at action rather than sitting down and delivering a whole load of dialogue, but that's just me *ducks just in case something is thrown at me* I also found the plot a little confusing and all over the place!

Overall, I enjoyed it and am watching it again tomorrow because my fiancee didn't have a chance to see it last night because he was working, LOL
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Trojan Queen

In one hour I will be standing in the line for the midnight showing of DMC! I'm sitting here, drinking half a pot of coffee, TRYING to contain myself for the next hour. Originally, I had planned to go after work tomorrow but I made the mistake of looking at the newspaper with an advertisement for a midnight showing. Jokingly, I said to my 16 year old daughter, that we should go. Here I sit, a 53 year old mother, going to see the hottest actor I've EVER seen with my two daughters. (26 & 16) Needless to say my husband thinks we've all lost our minds It's very embarrassing to feel the way I feel with my children around. They have no idea that I only show them a portion of what is really going on in my mind! I just pray that I'll be able to work a full day tomorrow.

Trojan Queen
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Etoiline

Well, I just got back from a midnight showing. Since it's 3:30 am here and I have to be at work tomorrow, I'll be brief. I liked it, at least enough to see it again with friends when they come in this weekend. There were parts that were a little confusing, and I would love to see subtitles for Tia Dalma. I think a sigh ran through the entire female contingent of the audience when Will's shirt comes off...

I don't think it's as good as the first one, but it's *quite* good for a middle movie. It's a bit long (don't get the large soda!) but the ending is worth it. I was pretty much unspoiled for this one (a feat, let me tell you) so while I could predict some of the things that occurred, the final scene had me (and the rest of the viewers) gasping.

I really need some sleep. *dreams of Will*

~Cal
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:29 PM
mcamp81

I saw the potc midnight showing last night.....10 minutes before the movie was over...the PROJECTOR BROKE!!! Everyone in six sold out theaters has to come back to see the end.. boy were people steamed.