Go Back   Orlando Love > Orlando Love > Magazines/Periodicals/Online Articles

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Vanity Fair Italy, October 5th, 2011

My translation:

Dear Maya, I stop at one.

He is returning to movies with a villain who gave him so much fun. But the elf in the Lord of the Rings (his Legolas will return soon ) is now mainly taken by the father role. Although in this interview makes known to us (and maybe to an old friend who found a little later) his future intentions about it.

He asks where I am from and so we start talking about Italy.
Orlando Bloom is drinking what looks like a centrifuge, a liquid dense with the shade of green basil. "The color is terrible but the taste is not bad. But if you are Italian, I understand that you do not find it attractive. Want to try?" I thank and decline. Then I take the opportunity to ask if it is true that he will shoot a film titled Idea in America with Cristiana Capotondi. "I met the director (Cecilia Miniucchi) and I liked her," he says, "but my participation in the film has never been questioned. We met, we drank a coffee and we did a chat. That's it. The part planned for me was just too small. "
After shooting the third episode of the series of pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End, released in 2007, and have deserted the fourth, On Stranger Tides, in theaters last May, Bloom returns to a blockbuster Hollywood, The Three Musketeers , no less than 3-D, in the company, among others,of Milla Jovovich and Christoph Waltz. Meanwhile, he married model Miranda Kerr in the summer of 2010, and became the father of a child, Flynn, who was born last January.
It is the latest chapter in a biography that begins in Canterbury, England, in 1977 and runs through at least three major turning points: the discovery at 13 years, of being the son of who he thought was a family friend (Colin Stone. His real father had died of heart attack when Orlando was 4 years old); the fall from the roof of a building, at 21, that threatened to make him loose the use of his legs. And finally, in 2001, the role of the elf Legolas in the saga of the Lord of the Rings directed by Peter Jackson. In The Three Musketeers, however, Bloom has got a part that he had long wanted, that of evil, specifically the Duke of Buckingham.

Finally you’re the bad guy. It seems that you could not wait.

“I liked the idea of a character who was not only nice and decent. It’s true, he is malicious but he's also wicked funny. He represents the English army, but more than on weapons, he bases his power over words. In the film, he landed from this huge flying boat, all smartly dressed. We understand that he fancy yourself as the bad, and I had fun playing him.”

But soon you will come back to make the elf in The Hobbit, prequel to the Lord of the Rings, also directed by Peter Jackson. That movie changed your life

“Absolutely. At the time I was a drama student. I introduced myself to one that was a soart of general audition, not for Legolas, but for some unspecified in the film. It was a big production, but in a sense it was like working on a little set. We became a kind of family: we ate together, played together, we were surfing together. I have wonderful memories”.

What was your impression, seeing yourself for the first time in the mirror with a blond wig on your head?

“With that hair, my face was completely different. I thought. "Not bad, blondes have
usually a lot of fun." Legolas is a character that has stayed inside me. And also on me, given that I have a tattoo (he shows me the right wrist): 9 is written as the number of members of the Fellowship of the Ring. At the time we all made it”

One of the characteristics that made you ideal for the role of the elf is your androgynous appearance, much less macho than many other actors out there.

"Are you saying that I'm pretty?"

Cute and with aesthetic sense. According to an English survey of English, you are
also the best-dressed among new fathers.

“I’m proud to be a father, more than to be a well dressed father.”

Do you Think that you might not stop at the first child?
“I love being a dad, bu7t at the time I don’t know if we can handle another child. Miranda works, me too.”

Who takes more care of the child?

“Both. Sometimes separately, sometimes together. If I am on a set and she has no commitments, they reach me. If she has to do, and I’m free, I'll take care of him.
Between work and family we must be very careful to coordinate.”

Doe your family history make you more sensitive to your role as a father?

“Sure. I want to be present in the life of my son as much as possible. Some time ago, Miranda took him with her to New York when I had to stay in Los Angeles for work. I have not seen him for five days, the longest period that has passed away from him. it was horrible, it seemed like an eternity”.

What would you be willing to give up just to be near him?

“Everything. Shortly before he was born I said no to a film which meant a lot to me,
Albert Nobbs, with Glenn Close. For ten years I was expecting that the project depart. I was disappointed, but I could not be in another place when he was coming to born.
But I would not only talking about waivers. My son has already given me a lot: now I’m more aware of how time is precious and more considered in my choices, more responsible.”

For example?

“I still drive the bike, but with much more attention.”

I get up, greet and I am about to leave when Orlando Bloom tells me: "Your shirt is beautiful”. "I just bought it nearby," I tell him and tell him the name of the chain stores with cheap prices. "I paid less than $ 20." He gets a laugh: "I must tell my wife."

The reference to Maya, is related to actress Maya Sansa, featured in another article in this issue, where she says:

Did you meet him (Orlando) as a dad?

"Too sweet. Going all around like a spinning top, he came to see me in Paris with Miranda. So I also met his little Flynn".

Scans and translation by me, please give credit to mayfrayn if repost
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

Thank you!

What a lovely article and pictures to match!
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Passionately Enthralled

What Guin said. Lovely interview. Thanks so much, May!
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
It's in his eyes...

Wow, so beautiful pics and a great interview!
Thanks May!

Siggy and avi made by Mirk! Icon made by Mata!
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Alive...and kicking

Ahhhh...nice interview! and the pics...he's still the most gorgeous guy ever for me...
Ty very much May,good job with the translation and scanners...

Old September 28th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thank you for the article May

sig by erendira :)
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM
chronicler of Ibelin

Location: Germany - some miles northwest of Hamburg - but in my mind I'm living at Ibelin, Port Royal...
Thank you very much for this nice article, May!

What man is man, who doesn't make the world better?

Balian of Ibelin
Old September 29th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks May !!!

I love the pictures !!!! I saw these on Tumblr I wasn't able to replace them I understand now why lol Sadly, now, we are sure there will not be any Albert Nobbs ... He's not anymore that androgynous, but he still very pretty lol
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Dreamer

Thanks for this - he is looking rather fine.....(state the obvious Ki)

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Mighty fine alright!