Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > In Celebration

Old July 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Babyjane

In Celebration Fan Reviews

I figured I'd start a new thread for reviews from those who have seen the play. Maybe there should be a separate thread for official reviews?

I haven seen the play but here's what I've read from others who have:

There are a bunch of reviews at KaBloom. All of them are positive, the only criticism was by one poster who says his Yorkshire accent wasn't perfect but that could have been because of first night jitters. Someone said when he was leaving the theatre getting in his car he told his voice coach he would call her so perhaps he knows it's something he needs to work on.

Spoiler

Also they say the actual play is a lot less boring than the written play some posters here have been reading.

I'm glad to hear positive reviews but fans can be kinda biased. I'd like to hear from some regular theatre-goers.
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Artanis

*Claps enthusiastically* I'm so happy he did well. I, too, would like to hear form some regular folk from the theater to see how he did. I would be biased, I know that much. Thanks, Babyjane.
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM
arwen_undomiel

I am really glad that the reviews are possitive.

Spoiler

He said himself that he has a problem wtih the accent before the show, didn't he? It was just the first performence so I do belive he will improve it.

Last edited by BeastyBunny; July 6th, 2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
karoletti

*nervous twitching* Now I can't wait to see it myself...and it will take so long til I'll get there...I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait...I'm about to

But I'm glad to hear that Orlando did a great job.
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:18 PM
pepoo

i'm glad too!!!!!!!!!!!.
i believe he can do it well.

oh. yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I've read the ka-Bloom fan reviews -- so positive !!! Hope some of you OL'ers will get to see the play soon and post your thoughts here. We who cannot get across the pond to see In Celebration are all so anxious to hear all about it !!!
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
wallace

The problem with the Yorkshire accent is that it varies from not only county to county (or as they say up there riding to riding), but even from one town to the next, the accent changes. As long as he stays true to the accent from the town where the play is showing, he'll be fine.

I suspect he was nervous so it is natural for him to not be spot on. I am sure the crying scene he will handle it well. I remember his emotions in Elizabethtown, KOH and who can forget the scenes in POTC3 when he confronts Keira, or when he tries to stop her from going off the boat to her father.

This man can act - no doubt about it and when he is done with this play, those critics who were not complimentary to him, will be taking back those words.
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM
besotted with buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggybelle View Post
I've read the ka-Bloom fan reviews -- so positive !!! Hope some of you OL'ers will get to see the play soon and post your thoughts here. We who cannot get across the pond to see In Celebration are all so anxious to hear all about it !!!
will do best! I also lived in Yorkshire a while, so while not an expert, I do know Barnsley from Sheffield, the Ridings from Leeds. In any case if I am not mistaken Steven is meant to be returning home from living away, so his accent would change a little

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Alive...and kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
*Claps enthusiastically* I'm so happy he did well. I, too, would like to hear form some regular folk from the theater to see how he did. I would be biased, I know that much. Thanks, Babyjane.
Liz Iīve read this morning a review at ka-bloom (donīt remember now the name of the poster),and said she was sitting behind a couple of theatre producers,and was chating with them and the man didnīt know Orlando,but thouht he did a very good job,and even could fit a role in his new production,and then the woman told him:"dear we canīt hire him,heīs a star".So not only his fans thinks heīs a good actor.Anyways,it was only the first day,Iīm sure heīs getting better and better from now.

Old July 6th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by erendira View Post
Liz Iīve read this morning a review at ka-bloom (donīt remember now the name of the poster),and said she was sitting behind a couple of theatre producers,and was chating with them and the man didnīt know Orlando,but thouht he did a very good job,and even could fit a role in his new production,and then the woman told him:"dear we canīt hire him,heīs a star".So not only his fans thinks heīs a good actor.Anyways,it was only the first day,Iīm sure heīs getting better and better from now.
*beams* That just makes me insanely happy now. Thanks for letting me know that, Lola.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
It's in his eyes...

I knew he could do it. I'm so proud and happy for him. I also thinks it's wonderful that he comes out afterwards and signs autographs for the fans. That's how we know our man! Orlando I love you!
Can't wait to see it for myself. 15 days to go!

Siggy and avi made by Mirk! Icon made by Mata!
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I'm so happy for Orlando and the whole cast that all went well. I didn't have any doubts but just some butterflies hoping that it would be. I've read the reviews over at KaBloom and have to say that it sounds like it was a powerfully emotional story.

Nuit - Looking forward to your thoughts when you get to go see it.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Eowadia

It is terribly exciting to hear so many postive things about dear Orlando! We know he really wanted to do this and it looks as if he is going to enjoy the fruits of his labor! Can't wait to hear the reviews from our members!!!

I wonder if his mum was at opening night and what she thought of it!?

And Erendira that is fabulous news!! If this keeps up we may have to buy some summer homes in England so we can catch his plays on regular basis!
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM
JenTurner

Oh, I am so proud of our darling one!
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Catz

Saw the show tonight..."the boy done good"

Hello team OL.
I went to tonight's performance and had a great time.
The play is a lot funnier than it reads and Orlando was very good as Steven.
I'm no theatre critic and will try and leave that to the professionals but I thought it was a very good production with great performances.
The accent was fine and I thought Orlando pitched his own performance perfectly. His diction and projection were spot on.
I was drawn into the play and the family and was thrilled at the smile on our boy's face as the cast took their bows.
I didn't hang around - train to catch and all that so no stage door tales and I apologise for my ineloquence. I may add more when I've had a chance to digest my evening.

Those OL'ers lucky enough to go will have a fabulous time. The theatre is beautiful and small enough to give a really intimate atmosphere.

I'm tired but beaming.

xxx
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Yay Catz! So glad to hear that you had a great time and that tonight's performance went over wonderfully too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I think we're all going to be cheering him on through the whole run!
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Artanis

Glad you enjoyed your time, Catz.
Old July 7th, 2007, 03:44 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Catz, you lucky thing! I'm glad to hear your thoughts on the play (and always, on Orlando).

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Lilith

i'm so happy to read that Orlando did a great job...of course i believe he was more than excited for the play but i'm sure he did his best...
nice to see that the critics were not bad and appreciated his performance
now i just have to WAIT!!!!
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Malene

Thankyou for sharing.
Hope to hear more from the OL'ers that are lucky enough to get to see this.
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
At First Sight

Thanks for sharing that with us, Catz
Really looking forward to your experience on Monday, nuit hon
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM
In Love

Thanks for sharing Catz !

Did you buy the prog ? If you did, how much is it please ? Or if someone else bought it ... Thaaaanks !
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
besotted with buttons

thanks Catz, well eekk 48 hours..
We will go and hang around I am sure at the stage door but seems like a pretty crowded place huh?
will do our best, me and Martje, to give an informed and literary appraisal of the play. Oh and how good he looked...
are there programmes Catz? did you get some?

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Thanks Catz!! We will have a great time monday. Am looking forward to it and also meeting up with Nuit will be great after such a long time! Will do our best to bring a good contribution for you ladies! (And gents)

Last edited by martje; July 7th, 2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM
mandy

To the people who are able to see this play, you are very lucky indeed. The last time I was in London, I went to see Chicago, but would have gladly traded that experience to see Orlando in this play. It is wonderful to hear all of the great reviews he's getting!