Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > The Hobbit

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriawen View Post
I also read and heard a few reviews already and - well - some say it was without doubt better than LotR. I don't know if that's possible.
That is impossible indeed. LOTR in my opinion was better and I do not think anything can ever top that, not even the Hobbit.
But it was fantastic nonetheless. Though I feel the emphasis lies on the technology and action this time and I wouldn't mind a simple 2D version at all
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mientje View Post
.but I wasn't quick enough to look , in the very beginning of the movie , the story of the dwarves , we see Thranduil 2 x ( great looking !) could Legolas be in the background ? The first time all the elves are blond so....

and Thranduil is riding a .......look for yourselves !!!!!
:
THAT was just amazing! I looked too but I didn't spot Leggy, I will have to look again to make sure :)
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Adoring

Just back from viewing the midnight premiere in my hometown. We saw the 2d version due to a find having trouble with 3d. This movie was beautiful. I looked for the elf but if he was with Thrandril's crew, I missed him.

However, may I say that Thorin mesmerized me every time he came on screen.

Well worth the lack of sleep that I will have tomorrow.
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Will go and see the 3D-version on Sunday! My bf already bought the tickets! Yes, sometimes he IS my precious!

Oh, the other day FOTR was on TV. That made me be a bit anxious... I mean, think of such "scary" scenes like that sudden transformation of Bilbo in Rivendell when he spots the Ring but Frodo refuses to give it to him... How often do you think could I shoot up to the ceiling of the theatre? I guess it might be better to cut my fingernails... to prevent the ceiling from being completely shredded...
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM
at world´s end and beyond

Saw it late last night (thursday night for me ) . I must say this is the film that blowed my mind out with the 3D and the 48FPS effect! AMAZING, STUNNING, the landscapes, the costumes, the terrific figh scenes! omg... I thin I can say I saw the influence of Guillermo del Toro in the entire goblin world/goblin king moment. Very bizarre and grotesque.
I squeed ridiculously when his highness King Thranduil appeared in that flashback, riding that ehhh... do not know the name in english, but WOW... surreal
I must confess I have a crush on Thorin Oakenshield *_________* those eyesssss, and the voice, and his story as prince of Erebor.... I totally forgot the klingon style
Now let´s start counting another 365 days to meet the prince of Mirkwood... *siiigh*
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Smitten

*cue the headbanging and screaming*

I was supposed to go today.. but mom was put back into the hospital with a severe viral infection.. she MIGHT get out as early as tomorrow I don't know.. they are running a huge battery of tests on her to find out just what this is..

We were going to take my friend and go the 21st after a hearing regarding the ins co( don't get me started.. just sic smaug on them please!) but said friend is having dental work done that day and after is out of the question too cause no way will she be up to it( though she is mega die hard lotrr fan like yours truly) soooo I have no idea WHEN i am going but I AM going or Smaug will look like a kitten hehhe

And fyi.. I allready have a huge crush on Kili.. and please for the love of the valar do NOT get me started on Elrond...*facepalms*
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Legolas'MortalPrincess

I went to see it last night with my friends from the Sci-Fi and Fantasy society I'm a member of at my university, and it was even better than I thought it would be. Everything about it was just wow, and Thranduil....
I highly recommend this movie as it doesn't disappoint although there were some scenes I enjoyed more than others.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM
On a Yellow Slide

We saw the 3D version last night which I thought was very impressive, even if my eyes had a hard time following some of the quick movements on screen. Am seeing the 2D version tomorrow, for comparison's sake of course. I loved the film but did have a couple of beefs with it, though I think that's completely normal anytime a book you love gets made into a movie. But better than LOTR? I agree with Tonny, I don't know if that could happen!

spoilers...
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neldorwen View Post
I must confess I have a crush on Thorin Oakenshield *_________* those eyesssss, and the voice, and his story as prince of Erebor.... I totally forgot the klingon style
teehee! me too Nel.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM

totally agree with you Llyne

BTW, there was a "premiere" in Buenos Aires last Tuesday and King Aragorn himself was there!! how cool is that!
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

And the last production video, mainly about the Wellington Premiere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtCOQMfNaLQ
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Saw it the other evening... and...

Well, I might have to come back to this thread a bit later. I'm still Just this much: TERRIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My god... I'm at work here and I should focus on that, but instead, most of me is still stuck in Middle-Earth. AGAIN!

Although, I missed a bit of that "threatening atmosphere", if you know what I mean. To me, it felt more like a children's movie... and I swear, in that cave with that Goblin King. WTF was that even? I mean, he wasn't scary but just disgusting and I had a hard time not to burst out laughing when I saw him. I felt extremely reminded of Jim Henson's Muppets at times and I actually reckoned with Fraggles running across the scene at any time...

No, sorry - The Hobbit wasn't thrilling enough for me. It was great but compared to the feel of LotR, it wasn't intriguing enough. Then again, it was just the first part of the trilogy. I remember how hooked I was after FotR and that this sort of ceased with TTT - only to be fully blown away by RotK. Maybe in this case the first installment is just a "lame" beginning of what is yet to become world-shattering. I for my part believe PJ is able to surpass himself once again with The Hobbit.

Last edited by Beriawen; December 17th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:44 AM
In Love

I agree, Beri. I know that it's a children's book, but even for that there were a lot of scary moments in the book that didn't make it onto the film. Overall, I did like the film, but I don't think there needs to be three movies to tell the story. There were a lot of "padded" scenes with fleshing out certain scenes/events and adding new plot lines. The original story is already amazing and adventurous, so I don't think these new plots and scenes really added much to the film. Although I got the impression that the film ended to early, it was actually just short of 3 hours. Rather, where it ended was too early (in terms of plot), so not much was really accomplished in the first film; the filler scenes and added plotlines just dragged the scenes/events on longer than needed. I'm so anxious for the second film, because it feels like the entire story has just been interrupted. Maybe this first film was just meant to tease us?

I didn't really think there was a "real" look to the film as critics have been complaining, and I liked the fact that the 48 fps allowed my eyes to adjust quickly. Buuut....with all the CGI, there was a cartoonish quality to the film (i.e. the Goblin King) which felt bothersome. There was something lacking in cinematic quality and beauty that the LOTR films had.

Otherwise, the film was good. Richard Armitage and Martin Freeman are absolutely amazing. I really did forget myself and get lost in the storytelling and the songs and the characters. Still, I'm looking forward more to the second and third films because it just seems like more will take place....plus, (do I even need to say it?) LEGOLAS!
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I started to read the book again the other evening and ended right where the film ended - in my book it's page 124. I am deeply impressed what PJ made out of these 124 pages! And I have to contradict: In my opinion, PJ filled out the plot-holes in the book just perfectly. He manages to show a scene which is in the book described in maybe three short sentences during the entire beginning of the film: The attack of Smaug and seizure of Erebor. PJ also shows what Gandalf is doing when in the book he's just magically diappeared - without any explanation where he's gone or what he had been doing in is absence.

Only a director like PJ could stretch approximatel 120 pages into a film with a 3 hours running time. You know, usually it would have to be the other way round: What's written on maybe 10 pages ends up being just a 3-minutes-sequence in a movie. PJ turns this completely upside down. And that's... *words fail me*

Speaking of the CGI and 3D-techinque: The film IS amazing and mind-blowing without doubt. I was practically clinging to my seat a couple of times, cursing my fear of heights or pushing my eyes back into their sockets. And I swear, I felt a raindrop on my head quite to the beginning of their journey.

I just felt a bit dissappointed of the Goblin King and Azog, that pale Orc. They just weren't scary enough, thus seemed far less threatening to me. Though I understand why PJ changed them to CGI-characters, I would have preferred humans in latex-costumes, hence to make them look more realistic and "palpable".

Only the short moment in which the Necromancer showed up I actually felt that ice-cold shiver down my spine I had always felt during FotR when the Nazgûl were around. This, I would have loved to sense a bit more often.

Anyway - after all also LotR had its scenes and moments which afterwards could have been done better. The film as it is is yet another masterpiece.

And it's the prelude to the trilogy after all. There's still hope the second part will pick up some of those thrills - like I said, compared to LotR, the first one was light, atmospheric, dark and sad whilst the second was just thrilling and dark most of the times with lack of that imminent danger which in FotR had not yet been really palpable. In TTT you began to understand what really was going on and thus, it lost a bit of that "WTF IS this threat they're so frightened of?"

Like in LotR, the real threat was mostly comprised of the Orcs and Uruk-Hai and the Nazgûl - hence visual threats you could escape - but above all that, there was that invisible evil, which you could not grasp and which thus was even scarier. This is something I somehow missed in The Hobbit. In LotR, a new threat lurked around every other corner but you could not RECKON with what was coming next. In The Hobbit, I had a feeling they stumbled from one obvious trap into the next - with their eyes open. But maybe these "traps" simply followed each other too fast.

There was no "mysterious evil" in that case which imminently hovered over their heads long before they've even sensed it - but which had always been near them even if they felt save - like compared in FotR, when no Nazgûl or Orc was chasing them. They still were in danger even if they had not been aware of it. I don't know how to actually describe it, but I think you all get my point.

Although this omnipresent but invisible peril was there, embodied in Smaug (which was luckiy only shown wraithlike so far) and the Necromancer (...and who THAT is, I guess, everyone here knows) I was dissappointed that in the first part of The Hobbit, those got the short end of the stick.

Let's hope there will be more of that in the next two parts!

Last edited by Beriawen; December 18th, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Utterly Obsessed

I saw The Hobbit yesterday and must admit, it felt so good to see Middle Earth again! PJ once again did an amazing job with the directing. I saw it in 3D(unfortunately not the HFR version), and the 3D effects were awesome, although I agree a few of the effects were cheeky(ie moth flying in front of you).

The cast was great. Martin Freeman especially made a great Bilbo. Richard Armitage as Thorin was very good too, and I agree he is rather attractive. Those eyes are mesmerizing. Of course, Ian McKellan, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, and Cate Blanchett made welcome returns. I thought it odd that Elrond looked a little younger(maybe because he wasn't frowning so much ) but Galadriel looked a little older(i guess they forgot to use the soft lighting that was used in LOTR for her scenes here.)

I'm so glad that Howard Shore did the score for this. It was great to hear familiar themes again: the Shire theme, the Rivendell theme, and Galadriel/Elves' theme among others. And Shore does a good job of mixing the old themes with the new themes.

I have to agree with Beri and Resurgere that The Hobbit didn't quite enthrall me the way LOTR did. Some scenes do drag on and there isn't the same level of intensity and excitement that LOTR has. The Bilbo meets Gollum scene was excellant, paricularly the Riddles in the Dark game and when Gollum realizes Bilbo has the ring. Those matched the overall quality of LOTR. I agree the enemies so far are not scary enough, particularly the Goblin King. Still Peter and Co were making a movie based on a what is essentially a children's book, so the story had to be lighter and simpler(Hopefully I will read said book this year so I can judge for myself how close the movie is to the overall tone of the book). And in fairness, FOTR is a great movie, but even that took a while to get going(An hour and a half before Legolas is introduced? Seriously? ) and it wasn't until TTT that I become emotionally invested in all the characters and their journies.

There are signs the next two will be better. We'll get to see more of Smaug, so the excitement factor should rise when that happens. And of course, the Return of the Elf. So we shall see. Meanwhile, I'm still on a Middle Earth high and I hope to never get down.

Wonderful Siggie made by the late great Leggybelle! I love you Mom and I miss you.

Beautiful Legolas icon made by Nel. Thank you so much!
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I have to disagree with saying "The Hobbit" is a children's book and thus the film had to be made lighter. There is much more potential in the story of "The Hobbit" and I'm glad Jackson realised this and intertwined this story with the lores and short notes from the Appendicies of LotR, thus filled plotholes which otherwise would have been inevitable. I'm currently reading "The Hobbit" again and well - to make a film just based on this book would have been ridiculously short, and as I said, full of plotholes. Gandalf leaves Bilbo and the dwarves throughout the story a couple of times. It's never explained where he actually goes. In the film, this is explained, and makes sense.

I am especially contented with how PJ accomplished the whole prologue-scene which actually was based on a bit from the Appendix A, III "Durin's Folk" and mingled it with Smaug's attack. In the book, this scene is in my opinion ridiculously shallow written. So, if PJ managed to make a child's book which inevitably cannot be as complex and detailed into a trilogy, he also could have used more thrills. "The Hobbit" as a book might be a children's book, but the film should not turn out to be JUST this. Otherwise it's a mere "Harry Potter"-like story... and - don't me... that was shallow!

I am now curious how PJ introduces "Beorn" and the march across Mirkwood where they are going to meet... well... Shelob's "relatives"... and be captured by the Elves (I'm at that part in the book where the dwarves and Bilbo escape from King Thranduil's halls), and the Elves here are *is aghast* described as not at all dignified or noble even, they drink and have feasts and appear to be dipsomniac rowdies who booze like berserks until they fall asleep and snore like bears. Really... try to imagine Legolas like that In this case, I guess NOBODY in this world would actually be mad at PJ if he changed a lot here, if not everything.
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:43 AM

Spoiler including Legolas, from The Desolation of Smaug (source: Tumblr)

Spoiler
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:05 PM
Passionately Enthralled

^ Just good that Gimli never found out about that.
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:09 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
In Love

Oh no, lol!
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:58 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Response #1:

Response #2: Leggy!!!!!!!

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
Utterly Obsessed

That will be so funny to see. Thanks Nel for posting this. Then again it makes you wonder why:

Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriawen View Post
I am now curious how PJ introduces "Beorn" and the march across Mirkwood where they are going to meet... well... Shelob's "relatives"... and be captured by the Elves (I'm at that part in the book where the dwarves and Bilbo escape from King Thranduil's halls), and the Elves here are *is aghast* described as not at all dignified or noble even, they drink and have feasts and appear to be dipsomniac rowdies who booze like berserks until they fall asleep and snore like bears. Really... try to imagine Legolas like that In this case, I guess NOBODY in this world would actually be mad at PJ if he changed a lot here, if not everything.
Then again, it might explain how Legolas won the beer drinking contest against Gimli. Maybe he was just playing with Gimli by acting like a drinking newbie and is the Beer Binging King of Mirkwood.

Wonderful Siggie made by the late great Leggybelle! I love you Mom and I miss you.

Beautiful Legolas icon made by Nel. Thank you so much!
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:18 PM
chronicler of Ibelin

Location: Germany - some miles northwest of Hamburg - but in my mind I'm living at Ibelin, Port Royal...
Today the Oscar-nominations were reported. The Hobbit is nominated for Best Production Design, Best Visual Effects, Best Make-up and Hairstyling. Sadly not for the music ...

What man is man, who doesn't make the world better?

Balian of Ibelin
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Not more?

Anyway - somehow I expected the music won't get any nominations, neither for the score nor for the original song. I guess it was not new or individual enough.
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:10 AM
In Valinor

Saw this twice and loved it. I couldn't believe how much I missed Middle-earth.

I wish we could have seen Legolas somehow but will wait patiently ( ) for the next movie. That said, I have to admit that Thorin is one hot dwarf! I never thought I'd say that.

And then there's Thranduil...looking regal as all get out in Erebor Man, he doesn't come off very well to the audience when he turns his back on the dwarves though, does he? What I remember of him from the book that I read as a child was that he was greedy which I always thought wasn't very noble for an elf. At least he isn't anywhere near as bad as Fëanor!
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM
The Dimension Jumper

I remember something from the book (or maybe the cartoon Hobbit version) that "Wood Elves love their wine" so holding large amounts of wine would translate into holding large amounts of ale, right? And besides, Legolas knows the secret to drinking contests: slow and steady, no hurry -- while opponent (Gimli) goes bananas...