Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean

Old June 10th, 2007, 04:08 AM
smallville78

POTC trilogy general discussion

ok, ok this may seem like an odd question but my mom brought this up especially with the way he runs with his arms out waving around. what do you think
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Crumpet Toasting Director

I would say no since he obviously likes the ladies in Tortuga.
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:16 AM
smallville78

true, but there are alot of gay men in real life who marry and go after woman to hide that there gay, i just have no other way to explain that running lol
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Mizz Savvy

I suspect that Cptn. Jack might be bisexual, but obviously not straight out gay.

Think in DMC when he runs into Elizabeth in disguise and mistakes her for a lad. Elizabeth says, "I'm looking for the man I love." Cptn Jack gets this weird look on his face, kind of a guilty one... like he was trying to remember but didn't want to glance back. He responds, "I'm deeply flattered mate, but my first and only love is the sea."

I've seen a look similiar to that on the face of someone who had just ran into a regrettable one night stand partner. You know, kind of like a "Mopad Sandy"; a mopad is fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you riding one.

Edit: Perhaps the reason Jack moves like he does is that he could have been raised by women without a consistent male role model. You know, having a pirate for a Dad and all. Of course, that's just speculation since the movies don't dwelve into Jack's childhood.

Last edited by Mizz Savvy; June 10th, 2007 at 05:32 AM. Reason: avoid double posting
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I would have hoped we'd be past stereotypes like that in this day and age...

I'm inclined to agree with Mizz Savvy and volunteer to find out first hand!

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:21 AM
In Love

In an interview last year, Johnny said that it was his intention to make Jack's sexuality 'ambiguous'. He also stated that he came to that conclusion after reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Sodomy-Pirate-...1456308&sr=8-2

Something about an extra quart of rum and a cabin boy. I'll try and find that interview...

But personally, I believe Jack is bisexual, if only because he seems to have sexual chemistry with everybody; not just his Tortuga ladies and Elizabeth.
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:51 AM
besotted with buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGirl View Post

I'm inclined to agree with Mizz Savvy and volunteer to find out first hand!

~Gem~
hear hear Gem- to both...he is ambiguous and quite fascinating. Maybe his unique running style is designed to confuse still further. but as far as I am aware running in a certain way isn't a test of sexuality.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Nimue

He's "Captain Jack Sparrow." Does it matter?
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

i'm inclined to agree with Gem and Nuit
Gem:

Nuit:
He's "Captain Jack Sparrow." Does it matter?

I dont care if he is or isnt....Jack sparrow is brilliant...
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Malene

When they first showed the Disney executives scenes they had shot they were like "What's this? What's wrong with him? Is he gay or something?" And Johnny and Gore had to really fight for the character the way Johnny wanted to portray him.And luckily they won.
Jack's ambiguity on all levels is what makes him great.
And I LOVE the way he runs!!
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM
evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene View Post
When they first showed the Disney executives scenes they had shot they were like "What's this? What's wrong with him? Is he gay or something?" And Johnny and Gore had to really fight for the character the way Johnny wanted to portray him.And luckily they won.
Jack's ambiguity on all levels is what makes him great.
And I LOVE the way he runs!!
i totally agree! i think johnny wanted jack to be as confusing as possible...like his speech - unnecessarily convoluted. with him running like that (which i love!), it goes against our stereotypical view of how a pirate should behave. u just don't expect a sword wielding, backstabbing pirate to run like that. his slightly effeminate nature is what makes him stand out and in the process, provides much comedy. whether he's gay, straight, bisexual or just plain confused, i think johnny knew what he was doing and to me, challenging stereotypes is always a good thing
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Passionate about the Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit View Post
but as far as I am aware running in a certain way isn't a test of sexuality.
Exactly!
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Artanis

He's Jack Sparrow, savvy? I could care less what his sexuality is. He's an interesting character to watch on the screen. And he's fun. So, what's the big deal? Besides, I think Johnny just wanted Jack to be as ambiguous and confusing as possible, like someone above said.
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:20 PM
White Masque

I don't think it's so much Jack Sparrow's sexuality, but more what Johnny Depp (as a great character actor) wanted to portray in his character. Jack was thought up as a cross between Pepe le Pue and Keith Richards. So when one thinks, "How would this character run?" you realize it can't be something common, but something new, different, fun, and crazy. That's what Jack essentially is.

I thank Johnny Depp for his awesome creativity and acting ability.
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Gloromeien

Jack's true love is neither bloke nor maid, but the Black Pearl.

Makes him the ultimate 'shipper', in a way, doesn't it? ;D

And big hugs to the ambiguity. If you've ever seen Before Night Falls, you know that Johnny can rock every color in the spectrum, and that's reason enough to worship him.

-G. ;D
Old June 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Lilith

i agree with Nuit...he's Captain Jack Sparrow!!!!
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Passionately Enthralled

He's ambiguous and eccentric - He'd Jack Sparrow, Captain Jack Sparrow. More than that... does it really matter? It's what we love about him.
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Utterly Obsessed

If he was gay, wouldn't he hit on Will
Also, it's Disney, I don't think it's possible.
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:40 PM
ShadowAngel

Talking

Hello :)

Sorry, I'm very new here but when I found this Thread I HAD TO make the registration to say something about it... I don't know where to begin, but I think I'll start with the way Jack's running or going...

On the first DVD Extras Johnny Depp himself gave the answer to it... I don't know if there is a different between the German DVDs and the American, but on mine there is one part where Johnny says something like he wanted it this way because it should have look like he's still on the sea, on the boat, and that's why he does it... not because he's gay or something like that, only to show his "relationship" to the sea... even when he's not on boat he feels as if... It's hard to explain in english, but like I said, he said something like that on a DVD Extra...

And between the "gay thing"...

I also remember Johnny saying something about that, I only don't remember where, but he was asked if Jack is gay or bisexual and he said something like: "This man is on the see for months, WITHOUT any women, what do you think they do the whole time?"

To me it was so ****ing funny reading it and I don't think Johnny has any problems with thinking Jack as gay, but I for myself also think, he's bi, if it's important in any way :)

And I admit: I'm a Jack/Will Shipper
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM
TTIOT

There is no difference as to how Gay or Straight people act, walk, talk etc. That's almost like saying a Blonde and a Redhead walk different

That being said, I think Jack is probably Bisexual or Pansexual.
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:17 AM
AmberRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniran View Post
Also, it's Disney, I don't think it's possible.

He would have to!
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Eleutherios

Quote:
You should come and live in my brain for a while. That happens surprisingly often in there *wink*

I think Jack would just satisfy his lust any way he could. If there's no men at sea, he's hardly going to be celibate, unless he's the one who's a Eunuch It's no so much about his sexuality. I imagine in those days it was just sex and not a lifestyle choice like it is now days. *shrug*

Oh and Disney can be a lot naughtier than you might think, only they do it under the radar.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:22 AM
TTIOT

Quote:

You're saying he doesn't?
I could *swear* I've seen that in there . . .

Surely I cannot be the only one

He's also shown an affinity towards goats . . .
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

The large audience in the movie yesterday (#4 viewing for me) laughed loudest and longest when Jack runs after the Black Pearl as it is being carried to the sea by the rocks/crabs. I think Johnny draws on cartoon characters as well as his love for silent movie heroes like Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin (anybody see Benny and Joon?). Those comic geniuses from the silent movies did things bigger than life.

Captain Jack's sexuality, to me, would be a separate issue from the way he runs and speaks.
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Mizz Savvy

what's the meaning of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTIOT View Post
That being said, I think Jack is probably Bisexual or Pansexual.
Pansexual?