Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > The Calcium Kid

Old May 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Rozzan

Hi all, I saw this on saturday. There were not many people in the cinema when I went and it was early evening. There were several girls in the row behind and they oohes and aaahed and giggled and gasped throughout, it was sweet and very funny.

The film itself was not all that good but there were a lot of funny moments and I wasn't that keen on the other actors even though I know they were meant to be very stereotypical (thought Billie Piper was crap actually) I could have done it better...Ha ha ...but I thought Orlando was good and I really felt for him at times and I liked his relationship with his Dad. I thought he did a very good job of portraying Jimmy.

I didn't notice the sweatpants when he was going through the tunnel!!! Whatever is wrong with me? That's unusual! But there was one shot when all the muscles on his back rippled and I wanted to rush up to the screen and grab him.

Also on that shallow note we are discussing, my favourite moment in the film (which made everyone in the cinema laugh) was when he was under his duvet cover waking up and having a **** and the film crew are at the door of his bedroom and catch him at it, and disturb him. That was so priceless! Oh I am so shallow, fancy enjoying that above all else
I actually thought he portrayed this really well, it was a very good piece of acting

I wouldn't go and see it again at the cinema but I will probably get it on DVD when it comes out.
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:20 PM
besotted with buttons

i am surprised at you too Rozzan...not paying attention there. it was only a fleeting moment..in his silk shorts...but i have committed it to memory.
aside from all that though it was his face..so beautiful, especially at the end when he gets more confident and cross with the manager, and the last scene as he kisses her and disappears inside the door..CUTE

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Angel_of_the_West

I can't wait to see this movie! Nuit, eagle eyes, I'll be looking for the 'not the fabric' moment with eagerness Was supposed to go see it last night, but was so tired after the weekend I couldn't do it But will try and get to it during the week or if not the weekend! He just sounds so adorable and sweet in this movie!

Angel
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Stacey

I went to see it the day it came out and sat for the entire movie lenaing on the seat in front of me and getting it a bit wet....

It was brilliant.. but Billie Piper got to kiss him!!!! Nooooooo!!!!!

Must've been fun being with someone only a few years older than you!!!
Big change for her then!

Yet another person on my 'TO kill' List!
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Elements

I must admit, I didn't notice any 'not a crease' moments as he walked down the tunnel.. what's wrong with me? I saw this again Sunday and I still love it. It still made me laugh, I still thought Jimmy was adorable, and although I was in a cinema with barely 10 people including one couple who seemed to think they were watching it at home and talked loudly the whole way through, I still really enjoyed it. I love his face when he recounts his father's wisdom, he played that so brilliantly - so proud of his dad yet not playing it too much for laughs. Perfect!
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Stacey

Yeha that is so right!!! It shows how hard he studied to become and actor and how well all the training worked!!!! Bless Orli! He's such a hard worker!

And ever since i saw CK i've been drinking a hell of a lot of Milk...mmmm.... Milk.....!!!!!
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Cl@re

Well I guess it's now my turn.
On Saturday afternoon I went to see Secret Window (yes there is a point with this). It was ruined my teenagers chatting all the way through it. Is there any need?
So todays wish was for me to be able to see TCK without any interuptions. And did I get it? Oh yes. Me & my friend had the tiniest of rooms in the cinema all to ourselves. Which was great for me as I could squee openly, but I feel bad for the film.
I'll be honest, I was nervous. I was trying to ignore all critic's, I purposley didn't read any reviews, I wanted to make up my own mind.
And what did I decide?
It's a really fun film. That's the word these critic's who do slag it off in their reviews need to bare in mind. Fun! They should remember not all movies have to be life changing drama's that the Academy will rave about. Movies are there to help us get away from every day chores. Critic's show remember everyone needs a bit of fun, and TCK brings us that.
After seeing Orlando play pretty serious roles, to see him act out the part of Jimmy was such a refreshingly wonderful change. The guy can act! Funny, sweet, adorable, loveable, combined with sensitive, cheeky and that good old British cockney accent, you won't be able to help but fall in love with him all over again. He acts again with his eyes. Some of the expressions he pulls on his face are classics. I sat there thinking - this is the same guy who played straight laced Will Turner or Legolas. It really is a different side to him.

I won't give any spoilers away, but as we already talked about the under the sheets action, I must say I had been pre-warned. I thought I'd cringe, but it was all done with the best possible humour & his reaction to being "caught" was just a classic.

It was shot in a very original way. I get so tired of seeing films that follow a set pattern so for me this was a huge bonus.
It's not the best film ever in the world. It probably won't be remembered by many in a few years time and for those who decide to not give it a go, well - they are the ones missing out!

I'm just hoping I can convince another friend into seeing it again as I would love to see it again.

Nuit: onto your shallow points. Numbers three & four were also noticed by me. What can I say? It must be programmed into me to look out for such things. But hey I'm female, it's instinct .. isn't it?
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:13 PM
besotted with buttons

thank you cl@re - was beginning to think i had imagined it...which wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. i thought your more serious points were well made too- only wish i had made them instead of going on about trousers..sigh

Old May 5th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Gone bush!

Ok, I'm sooo jealous...I don't think we're getting it here in the cinema-DVD only...unless it's on after Troy.

I do know how cute he looks though, and hands off- he's mine

Just JOKING ladies!!! (Well he is mine in the RPG )
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Aroreiel

Well, you know how much I love my Jimmy. I can't beleive I've got all googly over him.

You know, I actually enjoyed watching the movie even more the second time around. I guess it's because I was sharing the enjoyment with A fellow Orlando nut and college friend...oh, and her younger brother. And they both were peeing themselves over it. They loved the film. I found myself laughing in places I didn't catch the second time. Guess you miss a lot when you're on your own watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit
i am surprised at you too Rozzan...not paying attention there. it was only a fleeting moment..in his silk shorts...but i have committed it to memory.
Oh my life! And I thought I imagined seeing erm, that. WOW! I'm glad that wasn't my mind playing tricks on me.

Without giving away too much, a few (of many) standouts for me: 'Irish jig', 'Morning Glory' , the ranting 'leprechaun' comments Awww bless him there. I just wanted to hug him. The thing at the end got me...the little cheeky "oh yes" wink. That sexy grin. My oh my!
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Stacey

That little irish jig was classic! And the comment to Paddy about the lepricorns in the ring! That was great.... Orli should be in more comedies!!!!
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroreiel

Quote:
Oh my life! And I thought I imagined seeing erm, that. WOW! I'm glad that wasn't my mind playing tricks on me.
Okay, I was watching purposefully today, and I must say there was a brief moment that somehow reminded me of watching Linford Christie doing the 100 meters. Not quite as mesmerising or as mind blowing, but I certainly noticed something.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Sazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroreiel

Quote:
Okay, I was watching purposefully today, and I must say there was a brief moment that somehow reminded me of watching Linford Christie doing the 100 meters. Not quite as mesmerising or as mind blowing, but I certainly noticed something.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Salamanda

Excellent reviews ladies.

Yes I keep checking but I think I'm in the same boat as TC , straight to DVD. Hmmm I guess though, that means pause button :bigbounc:!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Nevaratoiel

I envy you all, you know! I want to see it tooooo! But I think I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD in the UK.... :frustrat:

Sigh....
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:25 PM
besotted with buttons

well you know Ele - i was only looking in the interests of you ladies on this board in the first place- seeking to report faithfully on the more shallow aspects of the film..and indeed it wasn't a Linford Christie...but we have to take what we can get.

i am jealous , i wanted to see it again

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:02 AM
luv4ever

i want to see this.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:42 PM
leciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4ever
i want to see this.

so do i
perhaps i can persuade my parents to travel to england in two weekes (holidays ) instead of going to italy...
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leciel
Quote:
i want to see this.

so do i
perhaps i can persuade my parents to travel to england in two weekes (holidays ) instead of going to italy...
No point... it's out of the cinemas already.
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:34 PM
leciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements
Quote:
Originally Posted by leciel
Quote:
i want to see this.

so do i
No point... it's out of the cinemas already.

great...
so iŽll have to wait for the dvd
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
clpm_9

This is not really a review but the film is on Sky this month and the TV guide has it highlighted as one of September's hidden gems and a cracking movie treat.
Which is quite positive
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Aranel-calen

Yeah I saw that in Sky, I think the film is really good I just think critics are obsessed with epic's and hollywood. If a film doesn't fall into one of those catagories it gets slated
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I thoroughly enjoyed The Calcium Kid. It was a delightful feel good comedy, and Orlando as the shy Jimmy was so sweet. Since I live in the U.S., I had to buy a VCD and run it on my computer, but even on the small screen watching Orlando in this comedy role was terrific. I only wish it had been released in the U.S., cause I think it would have been a big success as a summer time comedy. The parody of Rocky alone would have brought in crowds, and everyone should get a chance to see the comic ability of Orlando. He is so different in this movie. What a doll !!!
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:50 PM
besotted with buttons

It REALLY is a parody of Rocky huh?! well in some ways anyhow- am typing as i think, which is always dangerous. There are some similarities in the tragic comedy of it all i guess, and it is on a different scale entirely,. but some similiar messages about how odds can be beaten..those Stallone movies were always contradictory
thank you leggybelle..will think some more

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM
zephyr

I had an amusing time watching CK, I think is a fresh, direct and no pretentious comedy done to amuse and enjoy (and with little money and short period of time). I even think is not worth making too many or too deep critics about it 'cause the film defines it self.

The story is so clear, the characters are also perfectly defined. So the question is just, do you like that kind of comedy?, if you do this is a good one, if you don't, go watch another film. I personaly liked this one more than many comedies made with typical comedy actors and more money than this one.

As I said I liked it and found it funny and interesting but I don't think is a film to talk too much about it, is just a simple comedy. I think is an interesting film in the carreer of Orlando Bloom as is very different from anything else he has done till now.

All of my friends who watched it (of both sexs) also enjoyed it, and they are not fans of Orlando Bloom specialy, and for me their opinion is more reliable than many newspapers or magazines