Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > The Calcium Kid

Old July 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Been there, done that

I absolutely love this movie! It's really funny! And Orlando is really cute as Jimmy
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:41 PM
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by viczgz
And the movie, I really think is worth, is a great comedy.

In fact I think, and is only my opinion, that till now is the film that demands more acting skills for Orlando. I mean he changes a lot during the film, happy, friendly, serious, sad, angry...
That is so true!!!

And if you want to know some more just look over to the "favourite scene/scene discussion" thread. But be warned!!! It`s full of spoilers!!!
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:48 PM
rasgirl

At this moment, I'm attempting to order it from Amazon.uk.co. My sister saw it and said it was a very charming movie. But outside of Ned Kelly, Orlando hasn't done anything that I haven't really liked.
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:35 AM
besotted with buttons

Is a quirky british comedy, great one liners and some intense social comment too, which just about goes with the genre i guess. I enjoyed it immensely, won't go down as a historical cinematic triumph but really much much better than the ratings and lack of promotion indicated.
And Orlando is on screen almost all the time, so that can't be bad!

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction

Last edited by nuit; July 8th, 2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM
zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit
...but really much much better than the ratings and lack of promotion indicated.
Yeah I don't understand the absolute lack of promotion neither.
Here in Spain I had to buy it with a teenage girls magazine, and I'm neither a teenage nor a girl , but I was so curious about this film.

Some of my friends (that don't specially like Orlando) have watched it, and everyone has enjoyed it a lot, is a good comedy not pretentious but funny and fresh.

Oh, and don't forget to watch the deleted scenes
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

It really will be necessary that I buy it. Everybody with the air to find it well. He leaves in dvd on Septembre 26, 2005... I'm in hurry, I'm in hurry!!!!!

Unless I order it on Internet... No, I believe that I try to be patient. Because if I order it, it won't be doubled in French. And to really appreciate film I prefer initially to see it in French for understand it good and after watch it in English.

Last edited by Serein; July 8th, 2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:22 PM
10th Doctor's Companion

Just a note, please keep your posts in English.

Clayra, I definitley recommend the movie. It is a little difficult to understand the heavy British accent at times if you are not used to it but it is a very amusing film. Orlando's performance alone makes it worth buying. He has such great comedic timing and you see him being so completely different from anyting else he has done. It's a shame it didn't get the promotion it deserved.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein
Just a note, please keep your posts in English.

It is a little difficult to understand the heavy British accent at times if you are not used to it but it is a very amusing film.
OH MY. So TRUE... I have to have the SUBTITLES on since I don't understand a word from them...

But I do agree. If Orlando was not in that movie, I would not even bother to see it at all. Orlando was so great in it. DORKY, yet sexy. Great performance from our boy.
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM
sparklingspanky

You definately shood get this movie. it is one of my favourites, one of the funniest!!
The english accents aren't all that hard to understand and im aussie.. but i ges i'm kind of good at accents but yeah, the movie is a great one to watch over and over again and you can never get sick of laughing! And the outtakes are just a classic!
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:05 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambayuun
But I do agree. If Orlando was not in that movie, I would not even bother to see it at all. Orlando was so great in it. DORKY, yet sexy. Great performance from our boy.
That's true too, I would not have seen it except that Orlando was in it. I enjoyed the movie a lot, very cute and funny. Jimmy was so adorably innocent and dorky and sweet, wasn't he?

And the towel snapping scene.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:34 PM
zephyr

Quote:
OH MY. So TRUE... I have to have the SUBTITLES on since I don't understand a word from them...
Specially Jimmy's best friend (I don't remember the name, sorry), talks very quickly and uses a strange vocabulary.
It was difficult for me to understand even with subtitles on.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by viczgz
Specially Jimmy's best friend (I don't remember the name, sorry), talks very quickly and uses a strange vocabulary.
It was difficult for me to understand even with subtitles on.
I was gonna say the exact same thing... He said "MOTIVATOR" in the bridge scene like "MAI-A-VAY-AH"... I was like, what the ****? What did you just say? Hahaha.

It is so British. Orlando was so British as well. It is so cute to see him so "at home" in a movie. I bet he had a blast making this movie.
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Just Another Freak

Quote:
He said "MOTIVATOR" in the bridge scene like "MAI-A-VAY-AH"... I was like, what the ****? What did you just say? Hahaha.
I have yet to see this movie and now I already know I'm going to have to watch with subtitles. Ever see Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels? The hell if I could understand a word without the subtitles.
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:47 PM

You give me still more desire for seeing it!!!! On a side I'm in hurry at Septembre 26... but of another not (I'll have already taken again the courses )
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Dreamer

I enjoyed it as it showed a side of Orlando that we had not seen before. He seems so young.

Very British as some of you have already said.

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Sibelle

Quote:
That makes me feel a little better concerning my knowledge of the English language. I thought my problems in understanding parts of the conversations in this movie were due to my bad English, but obviously even native english speakers had problems with the heavy dialect !
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Passionately Enthralled

From the few clips I've seen of it, it looks great. I finally broke down and bought a code free DVD player so I can get this on DVD. Not waiting for the US to get it - could be dead before then at this rate.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:52 AM
unbraided elf

I absolutely loved this movie. I love Jimmy. He is so sweet and vulnerable it just made my heart melt to watch him. I'd even go as far as to say, that next to Legolas, Jimmy is my next favorite of the roles he's done. Yep....right next to Legolas. I was so proud of Orlando, being able to play such a vulnerable character. I wonder if anyone has asked him yet, "Which character is closest to your own personality?" I would bet he'd say he has a lot of Jimmy in him.

btw....I LOVE Jimmy!!! Just wanted to make that perfectly clear. I even took this DVD to some friends of mine and I've corrupted them too.

Yes, the towel scene is lovely and the drinking milk scene was very funny too. I bet he had a blast making it.
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:53 PM

That's it, I commanded " The Calcium kid " on internet. Well, now I have to am patience because I would not have it before September 12th. Why the film is not appeared to the cinema in France?! And why we find it not still in DVD?! It is worth nothing!!!!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Finally saw it!! I ordered Calcium Kid from Amazon.UK and it arrived yesterday. Woo hoo! Its official - I love Jimmy! He's so dorky and sweet, you can't help but love him. It is a classic tongue-in-cheek British comedy and Orlando is so cute in it. I was laughing through out the film and really enjoyed it. It doesn't have any big agenda or weighty issues, just a bit of fun with lots of giggles. It was definately worth the money to get my hands on a code/region free DVD player because this is a great film and it frees me up to purchase other DVDs that haven't been released in the US.
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Aranel-calen

I keep meaning to watch it, I never got to see it when it was out in cinema's. The accents can't be as bad as in Ned Kelly in the sense I couldn't always understand them, I maybe slightly biased as I'm a Brit so am used to cockney accents...sorta lol
tahts not saying much as the rest of the UK hate my accent Long Live Brummie's !!!!
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Daydreamer

Drink milk!

I watched Calcium Kid just two days ago, it's kinda weird I think, but I liked it nevertheless. I came across it while I was looking for another movie and decided to buy it since it only was for about 8$. I started watching it with a friend but she didn't like it at all, so we stopped watching it (and decided for PotC instead).
I gave it another try the next day. I'm not a native speaker but watched it in English anyway (without the subs). I did understand most of it but I still think the movie was a little weird. But I mean, Orlando is in it, so even if you don't like the story you'll still have fun watching it, 'cause looking at Orlando the whole time can never be a bad thing .

Oh, and I hate milk *lol*.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Aranel-calen

I reli wanna see it I may go buy it soon but im supposed 2 b savin money 4 birthday's prezzie's grrr. I bet it's very quirky as our british sense of humour is, bet Orlando pulls it off tho.
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Aranel-calen

Hey I brought it yesterday and me and my mate watched it and we loved it. Been Brit's we found it hilarious like when he was wearing that suit with all the union jacks on
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Aranel-calen

The "irish dancing" was well funny where he tries to keep going but keeps falling over. ust for the record the morning glory scene also made me laugh but I was also slightly shocked hehe. His accent was so cute but i think as he has been a londoner for like 10 years he probably found it really easy to do the cockney accent. His friend's accent was quite hard to understand so i feel sorry for anyone not used to it. I think Calcium kid and Ned kelly are his best acting coz of them been smaller films. The others are good to but he really shines in those two.
Also Paddy plays the grandpa in Charlie and the chocolate factory