Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly > The real Ned Kelly related links and stuff

Old February 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM
besotted with buttons

The Last Outlaw Mini Series

Dangerous things Credit cards..
Just ordered myself a copy of this long petitioned for DVD
The Last Outlaw
well its not Orlando..but hey I can live with that..for the sake of research.

I simply cannot wait- may have to fly to australia and pick it up myself, calling in on Gem on the way and doing a bit more of that Kelly Country tour to add to her photo collection

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

John Jarratt as Ned Kelly - ok, Steve Bisley as Joe Byrne? I'm not sure... Though when younger as in this he probably looked more like the real Joe Byrne than Orlando did... I haven't seen this, might have to see if I can rent it, you've piqued my curiosity now Nuit. It actually has that scene of Joe's body on the door it seems from the pictures...

Well, I've just finished organizing my photos today, so you'd be most welcome to contribute to some more, Nuit!

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM
besotted with buttons

yes Steve Bisley (just been looking for photos of him, and he appears to have spent a lot of his film career in Mel Gibson's pocket) wouldn't be the first choice by a long shot- but oh well a hat and a large beard and he might get away with it! I think I will stick to Orlando for my fantasies..heehehe
Yes I saw that picture- with the 'mysterious woman' running to where he was hanging- eekk

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Dreamer

It looks interesting and I must say I have just been cruising around the link looking at other things there. Lots of books that I have not seen and check out the skin art

You do realise Nuit that if you go to Australia you are going to be having a Kiwi gatecrasher joining you

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM
besotted with buttons

Yes the skin art is a little scary- so you weren't thinking of building on your flower then Ki? heehhee- a whole Kew gardens scene stretching over your entire body? It is a great site- really THE NK site though the owner is a bit sniffy-
Gatecrashers from NZ expected and welcomed with open arms.
Will do indepth report of mini series, hell i might even learn to do screen caps...I always wanted to do that. Concentrating on favourite scenes and EVERY single expression.

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Dreamer

My partner hangs about in second hand book shops so I have him on the look out for any Ned Kelly books - he has picked up a number of out of print books on various subjects in the past so am hoping that he might find some treasures one of these days..

Kew gardens - I don't think so, but wouldn't rule out another one, of course when visiting Gem getting a tattoo is the thing to do don't you know...

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Well it's all your fault Nuit - I have just ordered the DVD too! I rang my video shop to check and they said they haven't got it, so... It cost the same as the Elizabethtown dvd would have and they won't even charge me postage for sending it, so I opted for this one, sorry Drew - you'll have to wait till Christmas or something...

Talking about skin art, when Ki and I had our tattoos done, the tattoo shop had a really impressive collection of Ned Kelly tattoos - even some female ones. So when you come, you might have to get one Nuit...

~Gem~

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGirl
Talking about skin art, when Ki and I had our tattoos done, the tattoo shop had a really impressive collection of Ned Kelly tattoos - even some female ones. So when you come, you might have to get one Nuit...

~Gem~
I am sure that the Peruvian Bob Marley lookalike tattooist could even design something discreet just for you Nuit...

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
besotted with buttons

heeheeheh..well only if you promise to hold my hands. Not that I am really into star signs and all that but i figured Joe Byrne was a scorpio given November birthday and some telling characteristics. I had a henna scorpion done one summer which I was very proud of, and i even have a little scorpion nose ring..and a ring come to think of it- that i bought in Leesburg when visiting Lizzy.

You bought it too Gem! heeheh fab well we will be able to discuss at length here then...

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Dreamer

Sounds like you have it already sorted..and of course we will hold your hands.

I am looking forward to hearing your reviews of this.

Slightly OT but when I was with Gem at the State Library they had posters of a Ned movie that had Mick Jagger as the lead, have either of you seen it? I could not really imagine him playing Ned to be honest...

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Well there you go, tattoo design all sorted!

Looking forward to discussing all the finer points of the miniseries here...

And I do remember seeing that Mick Jagger version years ago on tv in Finland Ki, can't remember much about it though. I don't think it's a masterpiece somehow!

~Gem~

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:15 AM
besotted with buttons

It is grim Ki- I have seen it. If you think Orlando's beard was little OTT you should see Mick's sideburns, and he does this weird cockney Irish accent, it is quaint in a way- the influence of the 70's I guess. I haven't seen it since I have done research though so can't comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the events. This mini series though purports to be based on the real historical events so will I think be fascinating.
The Ned Kelly DVD special features has some incredible footage of the first action film that was shot about Ned Kelly and some I believe of the Mick Jagger fillum.

ok..scorpion then..

Last edited by nuit; February 15th, 2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I got my DVD today! Now all I need is to find the six plus hours required to watch it...

~Gem~

Old February 27th, 2006, 08:05 AM
besotted with buttons

YAY!! Oh I wish mine would come! Don't tell me what happens...heheeheeeheh!!

Old February 28th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Watched the first episode today, it starts with Ned's apprenticeship with Harry Power and finishes with the fight with Wild Wright. Pretty accurate it seems and I love the glimpses of the actual real places! I quite like John Jarratt as Ned Kelly, he looks pretty much like him. No Joe yet...

~Gem~

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:36 AM
besotted with buttons

sigh.. still no sign of mine- you think Brad has it in for me?

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Well the package I sent you took three weeks to get there, so it might not be Brad's fault... Patience my dear!

~Gem~

Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
besotted with buttons

YAY!!! got my package from Brad! zooomm.....

ETA-WOW some impressive facial hair!! That Wild Wright had some 'tache huh? It is a little slow- I am sure that the pace will quicken, i didn't really need 10 minutes at the saw mill.. but the scenery is just fantastic and very interesting all that bit with Harry Powers.
Is also fascinating the way that the film took some of the look and events in this series and turned them into cinematography- the fist fight with Wild Wright for example.

Last edited by nuit; March 2nd, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

I watched episode two yesterday, I'm enjoying it very much but there are some things that are bothering me slightly. For example, the way they have made Ned's stepfather George King into a kind of 'revolutionary' who keeps telling Ned to do something... And I think the house at Eleven Mile Creek looks a bit too nice...

And some of the fashions (Ned's hat!) I'm not too sure about - I wonder how authentic they are?

Looking forward to more of your observations Nuit; it has dated a bit don't you think, but since it's a story from the 19th century it doesn't matter too much...

~Gem~

Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:19 AM
Utterly Obsessed

wow...
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
besotted with buttons

Have watched three episodes now, and is all hotting up with Aaron. My daughter asked why they keep riding backwards and forwards..!
It is dated Gem and in my opinion in need of some good editing but nevertheless a really interesting piece of history. I was struck by how close the film echoes some of the scenes- at Stringbark Creek for example it was almost word for word in places. It shows much more of the general support the gang had I think and the lives of those around them- like Tom Lloyd who was hardly mentioned in the film. The scenes in Jerilderie worked really well- the way that Ned handled the police and so on- in the end giving Constable Richardson some dignity.
I agree about George King- i have never read anything to suggest he was any thing other than a womanising hanger on, certainly no champion of independence but I guess Ian Jones must have got that impression someplace as it is apparently a pretty accurate representation of the facts. He is investigating a bit more of the motives of Aaron which is welcome, how he played and was played in the whole saga. Am very interested to watch the last bit to find out how that is handled.
Steve Bisley as Joe? well....can't say he has me itching to undo his buttons to be honest- haahhah- they series hasn't really developed anything more of his character, probably less in a way than we already know, not so far anyway.

Am really enjoying this though!

Old March 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM
besotted with buttons

Well sorry to double post, but I watched the last episode of this yesterday, and apart from the fact that my Dad was sitting there watching it with me I would have been wailing, well I WAS crying but you know.. The last episode is incredibly harrowing, and deals with the details that the film stopped short of- the burnt bodies of Steve Hart and Dan Kelly, the hanging of Joe Byrne's body on the door of Benalla police station and the exceution of Ned himself. It gives much more of a flavour of the support that they had- the plans to declare a Republic and also they role of Aaron Sherritt in the whole affair. Well of course is all interpretation, but Ian Jones the co writer of the series is a well renowned historian, so in a position at least to offer a well informed opinion.

My Dad has borrowed it now..in preparation for our Dublin trip and has told my mum she has to read Max Brown's book before we go! I think that this was an incredibly well thought out series, and in the end a piece of the history. John Jarratt came into his own I thought and portayed Ned's dignity, Steve Bisley, despite looking more like 44 than 24, gave some of the spirit of Joe Byrne, and actually it was great to see more of Steve Hart, Dan Kelly, and the Kelly sisters Maggie and Kate.

Old March 5th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Dreamer

OK now that I have read this I am thinking I am going to have to order this myself...I wonder if Brad is going to have a problem with shipping to NZ?? perhaps I can offer to give him Russel Crowe?

Gem and I were just talking today about how there is so little information on Steve and Dan and indeed Joe, it is quite sad that they have been so overlooked and that history has concentrated so much on Ned.

Old March 6th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I watched episode three today... The sight of those 'undertakers' had me feeling ill, though I guess you could say there was some poetic justice they were used to transport the policemen's bodies. I liked how they had Wild Wright and Aaron at Faithfull's Creek, to show how the gang had their own people mixed in with the hostages, that was a clever way of showing it. The policemen really don't come off very well out of it all, do they? Interesting also the almost love interest for Ned...

ETA: For your information Nuit: Steve Bisley was about 28 years old at the time... I have to say Orlando has ruined me for anyone else, as far as Joe Byrne is concerned...

~Gem~

Last edited by GeminiGirl; March 6th, 2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM
besotted with buttons

well Steve didn't age well then- must have been all that sun

Far from ruined Gem- why would you want to watch anyone else? heehhe.