Go Back   Orlando Love > Orlando Love > Just Orlando

Old August 1st, 2010, 07:58 PM
Krazy for the Elf

Just me again

Old August 1st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Aint no other man but you

Kat, they are so gorgeous and sad and lovely! Maggie with Joe's mouth and hands all over her Lucky girl. And the scene where Joe knows Aaron has betrayed them - the pain on his face - and then after he shoots him. Truly an outstanding performance by Orlando.

Knightlover, your Mom's art is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I'll try to post some more later. I have some icons I think and then maybe some more stories by the fabulous writers.

Glad to be back to enjoy a few more hours of Joe!

Gorgeous signature by my friend Erendira
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Kat thank you soooooo much for all the animations!

I'm sure someone else has some Joe stuff lying about that needs to be viewed again and again
Come on girls! We still have a few days to go
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM

Oh, I thought it was ending today so more Joe!

Here are some icons by Mayfrayn:

and Mata:

and by LuvnBloom at OB files:

and this is by Mayfrayn also and although it is from the Me&City campaign it is all Joe to me:

Old August 1st, 2010, 11:29 PM
Krazy for the Elf

A wonderful collection of May's stuff, CD! I wish she would play with us in the graphics section. We started the week late Monday night so it goes a day or two more.

This last scene was another long one...I kind of broke it in half to post, so it might seem like an odd break.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:39 AM
Krazy for the Elf

Part two of the last Joe scene......

Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:48 AM

got me crying again Kat! Poor Joe. I don't even watch the end of the movie anymore, too sad.

Here's some of Ki's writing, from her story Eternity. It's about Joe and his childhood friend. This is when Joe is released from jail after spending 6 months away for stealing when he is a teenager (I hope that's an accurate description Ki!). I found this scene so touching:

He was talking, smiling even as he put his arms around me pulling me close against his chest. I hung on to him, smelling that familiar smell that was Joe, feeling the warmth of him, hearing his heart beat. It was like finding me self again, the bits that had been feeling all rough and raw soothed over and I could breathe again and smile even though little tears were squeezing around the corner of me eyes.
“I missed yer Mai” words a rumble in his chest so that I tilted me head slightly to look up at him.
“Don’t you be going away like that again Joe, do yer hear me” I don’t know what it was that made me seize his face between me hands and to whisper so fiercely “don’t you be leaving me Joe Byrne, promise me that you’ll never be going away from me. That we will be friends til we are old and grey…”

“I’ll do me best Mai, I will” his words a whisper too and his eyes they was real bright as he leaned to kiss me forehead and then me lips. Not a lovers kiss but that stuff that was between Joe and me, that here I am and here we are all underlined with his lips touching mine.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
He smiles...I'm lost...

This thread warms me up to reading Joe-Stories again.

Kat, all those animations are fantaboulus. Great work.

So, yesterday I went to visit a friend – by bus and it was raining, lots. And as I sat there, daydreaming, the bus drove by….an Irish pub. And then it hit me. If I get off now and go in there, would I find someone like this….

She stood under the shelter at the deserted bus stop and stared at the wattles. The waterlogged branches were bending almost to the ground, the rain still falling steadily. Everything was grey and it matched her mood perfectly. She didn’t quite understand what it was but lately everything seemed to irritate her, seemingly innocent comments scraping at her till she just wanted to scream at people to leave her alone. All she wanted was just one day without anyone asking anything of her, free to be herself. She wondered if she could even remember who that was – there were so many versions of her now that it was getting harder and harder. Wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend – always there when they needed her. But what about what she needed?

The bus stopped next to her with a spray of water that just missed her and she got on, shaking the drops from her umbrella. Sullen faces stared back at her as she made her way to the back and sat down. The windows were all fogged up and she rubbed the cold glass with her hand to give herself a view outside, not that there was much to see. Long lines of cars, people hurrying along the street and holding on to their umbrellas that the wind was trying to wrench from their grasp. A typical winter’s day. The bus driver had the radio on and Gloria Gaynor was singing “I will survive” and it made her think of the time when she was sixteen and dancing at the disco with that boy who had the most beautiful eyes that always looked so sad… And suddenly it was like she was jolted awake. What the hell was she doing? Sitting here like some zombie, going through the motions of living and not feeling anything at all but irritation? When was the last time she had done something on impulse?

The bus stopped and the doors opened and she found herself stepping out into the rain, with a fleeting thought at the back of her mind that she was behaving irrationally.

“Oh who bloody cares,” she said aloud, ignoring the startled look from a woman who was waiting to get on the bus. She scanned the street, wondering what she should do next. There was a pub on the corner and the map of Ireland on the wall outside reminded her of her favourite pub from years ago so she took it as a sign and made her way there. Now that she thought about it, a drink sounded like an excellent idea. It would give her a chance to ponder her next move.

When the heavy door of the pub closed behind her, it was as if she had stepped into a different world. It was all dark wood and simple furnishings, like a place from a bygone era. There was a vaguely Irish tune playing quietly in the background and it sounded familiar to her but she couldn’t quite place it. Her steps echoed on the wooden floor as she made her way to the bar. The place looked to be empty except for the barman who was rearranging bottles on the shelf behind the bar and turned at the sound of her approach.

“Hello lass. You look like you could do with a whiskey to warm you up.” He was already pouring her one before she could say anything and she sat down gratefully at the bar, dropping her soaking umbrella on the floor.

“I’m not normally a whiskey drinker but I think you’re right,” she said taking the glass. “Cheers.” The fiery liquid slid down her throat and she closed her eyes for a moment and sighed.

“Better?” The barman smiled and she noticed suddenly how good-looking he was. In fact she could have sworn that she had seen him somewhere before although he looked slightly out of place in his old-fashioned clothes. His eyes and the Irish lilt in his voice made butterflies flutter in her belly. He took her hand and looked into her eyes. “Maybe you should do spur of the moment things more often lass, to remind yourself that you still can.” The heat from the whiskey was spreading into her fingers now or maybe it was his hand holding hers. For some reason it didn’t feel at all strange that he should be holding her hand and talking to her as if he knew all about her and her life. “I think you have tried so hard to be everything for everybody else that you have lost sight of what you want and need. It’s time to start living your life again lass.” He reached over the bar and kissed her cheek. “Life is too short to waste lass, trust me I know. You owe it to yourself to give it all you’ve got.” He handed her a folded note. “For good luck.”

And that’s when she woke up. It was only just getting light and she could hear the rain falling outside. She smiled to herself. It had been a long time since she’d had a dream this nice and strangely she could remember every detail too. That smile and those eyes - and then it struck her. It was Joe Byrne. What a shame she had woken up before she could open the note he had given her. What would it have said, she wondered as she sat up and then her eyes fell onto the folded piece of paper on her bedside table. No – it couldn’t be. Carefully she picked it up and opened it. There was no writing, just a pressed shamrock. “For good luck,” he had said. Joe Byrne had given her the luck of the Irish.

… sadly, I didn’t, ‘cos the Pub was still closed. I was too early.

This short story “The Luck of the Irish” was written by Gem for a three word challenge, I guess. And it is indeed proof that you can or maybe would (if the time is right) find Joe anywhere.

From www.larrikinmarry.com

Thanx to Lola for my toffee & Chocolover for the singing Orlando

* Time you enjoy wasting, isn't wasted* - John Lennon
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Alive...and kicking

I made these for ilustrate wondeful Gem's story My Beautiful Joe....The text in the last one is a gorgeous poem by Kiwigirl.The rest of he text are fragments of the story itself...

Last edited by erendira; August 2nd, 2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
Krazy for the Elf

CD, that is a very touching passage.....yet another story on my reading list I hope to get to one day.

Monkey, *sigh* Gem has a way of making us believe eh?

Lola, beautiful banners.

I did not want to leave my animations off on such a sad note, so I saved a few that I made from the bonus part of the disc. I think these are parts that are different in the movie.

All of my Joe animations are in my Joe gallery now HERE. I did not put all of the animations in that I had made previously, so take a trip over and enjoy.

Last edited by Krazymoonkat; August 2nd, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
OrlyB&BenBfangrl

Great animations!!! Luv' em!
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:42 AM

Yes, Kat, you are the best! Thanks for the happy note!

Monkey, I hadn't read that I thought I'd read everything there. Thanks for posting it. I'm enjoying rereading the Joe stories too

Those banners are gorgeous, Lola! Every time I try to make graphics with Joe I can't quite get it right. You are so good with him.

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:11 AM
He smiles...I'm lost...

Ah yesss, the banners, beautiful, really beautiful, Lola. *sigh*

CD, I still have to read some of them, but my to-read-list is still so long.

Old August 14th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

I missed most of this thread on account of being preoccupied with the Kelly meetup, so have come back and had a nice long look at everything that's been posted here. Thank you Kat for the wonderful animations and to all of you who have posted beautiful graphics and story quotes. It's very true Baltic Monkey that it is easy to see Joe anywhere and everywhere... I wanted to have something new to post here so will come back at a later time when I've had a chance to get some order into the thoughts that are swirling round my head.

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Gone bush!

Has been a real treat to come back in here & see all the beautiful graphics & bits of stories-there really has been some brilliant 'Joe' writing, just gorgeous. And thank you Kat for all the animations.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
OrlyB&BenBfangrl

okay... i liked Will but hmmm Joe does have that rebellious streak that makes Will sorta bland by comparison....
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:09 AM

Forgot to post some writing from TC. This is an excerpt from Recollections, one of TC's vignettes to Outlaw Dreams by Nuit. This is Cat's encounter with Joe when he and Ned come back to see her and Eva many years later.

The figure leaned casually on the door frame, hat crammed down over dark curls, face hidden. Just as I approached, one hand struck a match to his cigarette, the flame lighting his face before fading away, leaving him in shadow once more.

I froze, & in a strange kind of slow motion, I could feel the bags of washing & shopping fall open-cheese & crackers, chocolate slice, apples bouncing away all sliding from my fingers. 'Not possible' .I mouthed right before my head felt strangely giddy.

Flicking the match away, the young man raced over "Cat? Yer alright lass? Sorry to surprise you like that. Here let me help you. Christ don't faint on me, Ned will have me balls if anything should happen to yer on account of me"

I stared at him dumbly at the mention of Ned "& what if it should happen on the account of him?" My eyes wide on his face, kind of mesmerised.

"Well I'm guessing he'll let that one slide love" He was grinning now, relieved that I seemed to be coming right, although I felt deathly white-the blood had clearly drained from my face as I saw him watching me closely, ready to catch me should I fall...mmm a tempting thought.
I stared at the mess strewn on the ground.

"It's always the knickers that fall out ain't it lass?" He laughed as he flung them back in the basket.

"Joe what are you doing here & how did you find me....us?"

He gave me a lop-sided grin, fag still firmly gripped in the corner of his mouth. "Truth of it is Cat, you weren't so hard to find. The old man in Jerilderie gave me your new address, so here I am. Well, me & Ned actually."

'Oh lordy...' I searched over his shoulder, feeling frantic, my mind crazy with the thought that maybe I hadn't spotted him. Seemed unlikely...

"Take it easy, he's at the barbers getting a wee trim...come here" he growled. He pulled me into a tight hug as the shock of seeing him & not dreaming him up began to settle over me.

"**** Joe, you're enough to give an old woman a heart attack"

"Ah, you don't look so old Cat" He held me at arms length as if to check what he said rang true. His face was as young & perfect as when I'd last seen him, some thirty odd years ago. Although back then I hadn't been sure if he was the Joe Byrne or not, as I had only known him as Billy. I had suspected as much but it wasn't until later I knew for sure when Eva had filled me in with all the glorious details. Eva..oh wow...

"Christ Joe, I have to ring Eva, she's gonna freak! Absolutely freak!" I pulled my phone from my hand bag but Joe's look stopped me "No? Oh shite..."

"I'd rather you didn't, it's just....I'd like to surprise her. Where is she?"

"She'll be at work by now-in the pub, it's on the other side of town from here, I'll give you directions." Whipping out a page from my address book, I drew a rough map "She'll probably kill me when she finds out that I knew you were here & didn't give her some warning"

"I'm grateful to yer Cat. I best be going back to the barbers & see if Ned found his face under all that hair. I need a tidy up myself."

I begged to differ-he looked just perfect the way he was.

"So...I'll be telling him it's okay to come & call on yer, that's if there's.......no one else?" Dark chocolate eyes questioned mine.

"There's no one Joe" Hah! I had well & truly shoved Pete from my mind, the ease of it was not shocking in the least.

"Alrighty then, expect a certain Mr. Kelly to come a knockin soon, & promise me yer won't tell Eva then?" I nodded & he flashed me one of those cheeky grins. As he sauntered off, I remembered my phone.

"Joe wait...before you go, would you mind if I took a photo of you?" He strolled back, relighting his fag.

"Sure, why not?"

Switching the phone on with trembling hands, I lined him up. Hand tucked in his pocket, slowly he exhaled the smoke & I clicked away. **** that was sexy ahem "Thanks, a nice reminder you know?" Then I showed him how to save it to the main screen.

"That's some fancy gadget you have there" he chuckled at his image. "it's been great seeing you again Cat. Me & Ned.....well, lets just say, we've missed you ladies something bad."

"What, a couple of old fossil's like us?" My laugh catching in my throat, I wanted to say just how much we had missed having outlaws messing our heads up, but somehow couldn't. "Where's Dan & Steve?"

"Ah well, we needed a break me & Ned. We've left those two to drink themselves stupid. Maybe they'll shoot each other with any luck..."

"Oh...Joe, don't...say that"

"Ah sorry lass, just a sick joke, we all know what we have coming, it's a sure thing so we find laughter the best medicine...along with a few other diversions"

He winked, tipping his hat to me...He was leaving.

"It's gonna be a huge shock to her Joe" I called.

"Aye, but in a good way I hope."

'Wow, they really came back' I watched him disappear around the corner. 'But why did we have to be so sodding old?' A cruel twist I guess, but suddenly I didn't care, pushing bags inside I was racing up the stairs to get ready.

I believe Luna wrote a couple of Joe stories too. I'll have to look up hers and post those next.

Last edited by CaribbeanDreamin; August 19th, 2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:41 AM
He smiles...I'm lost...

Hah, CD, beat you to it!

From one of my fav writers...

The description of the surroundings sounds like my Hobbit Hole:

The young man approached me slowly, his eyes roaming around the store, stuffed to the ceiling on all sides with books of all shapes and sizes, and it gave me time to study him.

He was definitely young, probably early twenties judging by that mischievous grin he’s thrown me when his head first popped into sight, the squarish face outlined with a slight shadow of beard and topped with a mop of unruly dark curls, most of which had spilled over his forehead, almost into his eyes, and this eased further years from his face – it was almost impossible to tell how old he was – he could have been twenty, he could have been mid-thirties. It was the jaunty, 'no-cares-in-the-world' air he had about him that screamed youth at me, his hands loose in his pockets as he sauntered over, his pants just that tad too long as was the fashion these days and loose around his slim hips.

He finally drew his eyes away from the books that cocooned us and flashed a brilliant smile in my direction, all white teeth and wide, pink lips with angled cheekbones slashed above. He was incredibly handsome and had I been forty years younger, well…what was the point of going there now, but still. I might be old, but I can still appreciate a handsome man. And this one was beyond handsome, even for my personal standards of beauty. Suddenly I cared less about the time and more about how long I might be able to enjoy his company. I’d even give up my bath time if needed. Hell, were I younger, I’d have probably offered to share that bath time…but there you are, age putting a spanner in the works again.

I smiled, I couldn’t help it. He made me smile. All that youthful bounce and vibrant life radiating out from him, his open, guileless face and air of politeness – it was an endearing package and I instantly warmed to him.
“Evening,” he said in a voice that was pleasant and gently accented, “sorry to bother yer so late, but I travelled all day to get here, and was hoping you’d still be open. I’d’ve been here sooner, but I had trouble. Anti-grav cylinder coolant problem…that’s the trouble with those cheap hire hovercars, just can’t rely on them.” His voice wound down as I watched him and he grinned again. “Sorry, you don’t want ter be hearing my problems. Is it still convenient to have a look around?”

Oh boy, you can look all that you want...

I smiled, I couldn’t help it. He made me smile. All that youthful bounce and vibrant life radiating out from him, his open, guileless face and air of politeness – it was an endearing package and I instantly warmed to him.

Yeah, I can def see that...

From 'Origins' by Luna Stormdancer