Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Sympathy for Delicious

Old January 21st, 2009, 01:11 AM
Human News Ticker

SFD Film news

I suppose we'll find out whether this is legitimate or not pretty soon since it's meant to start shooting next week.

E! Online

Quote:
Mark Ruffalo Returns to Work

Mark Ruffalo's life is resuming some semblance of normalcy just over a month after his brother was declared dead of a gunshot wound.

E! News has learned that the still-mourning actor, who dropped out of a film in the immediate aftermath of his brother's death, is gearing up to return to work, directing and starring in the tentatively titled Sympathy for Delicious.

"We're starting shooting in a week," says a production insider.

The film, originally expected to begin shooting last month, was indefinitely postponed after word of Scott Ruffalo's death broke.

Mark Ruffalo will star as a priest in the film, which follows a paralyzed DJ who seeks out the world of faith healing. Orlando Bloom, Juliette Lewis and Ruffalo's You Can Count on Me partner, Laura Linney, also star.

The cast convened for a get-together last Friday, with Bloom, Lewis, Ruffalo and his wife, Sunrise Coigney, joining forces for a low-key night out at Teddy's at the Roosevelt Hotel.

A source told E! News the foursome "sat in the back, corner table behind the DJ booth, just drinking soda water and having a good night."
The IMDB page.

Here are a couple of articles that came out when it was first announced, back in August 2008.

Variety

Quote:
Mark Ruffalo to direct 'Delicious'
First-time feature helmer will also star in film

Mark Ruffalo will make his feature directing debut on "Sympathy for Delicious."

Ruffalo will star with James Franco and Chris Thornton. Production begins this fall in Los Angeles, and the pic is fully financed by new company Corner Store Entertainment.

Thornton, who wrote the script, plays "Delicious" Dean O'Dwyer, a paralyzed DJ struggling to survive in his wheelchair on the streets of L.A. He turns to faith-healing and mysteriously acquires the ability to cure the sick -- although not himself. Ruffalo plays a Jesuit priest who tries to help him come to terms with the limits of his gift, and Franco a rock singer in a band that exploits the suddenly famous healer.

Pic will be produced by Andrea Sperling, Matthew Weaver, Scott Prisand, Ruffalo and Thornton, with Robert Stein and Joanne Jacobson exec producers.

The film is being financed by Corner Store Entertainment, a venture of Weaver and Prisand, who've quietly financed two other pics over the past several months and raised the coin to bankroll a slate of moderately priced films over the next three years.
Observer

Quote:
Mark Ruffalo to Direct Sympathy for Delicious

Mark Ruffalo is getting in the director's chair for his new project: Sympathy for Delicious. It's a movie starring Mr. Ruffalo's friend Chris Long as an L.A. DJ "Delicious" Dean O'Dwyer who is paralyzed in a wheelchair (Mr. Long is actually paralyzed in a wheelchair in real life).

Delicious develops some kind of divine gift to cure the sick, according to Variety. Mr. Ruffalo will be making his directorial debut and starring in the movie as a priest who helps out Delicious; James Franco (yum) will play a trickster singer in a rock band who tries to "exploit" Delicious's gift.

James Franco gave an interview to MTV about the movie last week:

The project, a “drama that’s got comedy in it,” as Franco described it, has been kicking around since at least 2004, when Ruffalo mentioned the film while doing press for “13 Going on 30.”

Based on Franco’s comments, it would seem the film might finally be a go. But just who the heck is Delicious, anyway, and why should we have sympathy for him?

“DJ Delicious. He’s a DJ,” Franco clarified. “This DJ character was written for [Mark's] friend who’s actually paraplegic in real life, Chris Thornton, and he’s this DJ that has kind of a gift. He joins up with my band and then starts getting more attention than me, the lead singer. So I start getting upset about that.”
Since James Franco isn't mentioned in any of the new information i wonder if thats the part Orlando will play?
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:40 AM
X-Ray Boxer Vision

So, IF Orlando plays James' role, he would play the lead singer of a band?? Oh pleaseeee let this be true! Even if that's not the part, I just want him in something!
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:49 AM
Passionately Enthralled

This sounds really interesting! I hope it's true!! *crosses fingers*
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:04 AM
at world´s end and beyond

thanks Interconnector!! gREAT GREAT NEWS AT LAST! omg... if he plays the paralysed DJ... gasp! I must control my imagination...
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:08 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

sorry Neldorwen, I think Mark Ruffalo's friend, Chris Thornton, who really is paralyzed to is to play him.

Buuut a rockstar is intriguing as well.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:23 AM
Human News Ticker

A bit more information about the movie from MTV Movies Blog

Quote:
Juliette Lewis Joins Mark Ruffalo’s ‘Sympathy For Delicious’

Academy Award-nominated actress Juliette Lewis is joining Mark Ruffalo’s “Sympathy For Delicious,” which is finally going to start lensing in December, the celebrated “What Doesn’t Kill You” actor told MTV News.

Ruffalo’s announcement comes four months after James Franco also broke the news to MTV of his involvement in the project but some four years after Ruffalo first began talking about the movie, an upside down hagiography at least somewhat based on one of Ruffalo’s close friends, paraplegic Chris Thornton.

“It’s a kind of social satire about a guy in a wheelchair who gets the gift to heal but he can’t heal himself so he takes it to start heal-a-palooza and prostitutes it for sex, drugs, rock and roll, and fame,” Ruffalo laughed of the movie’s plot, which in combination with my chat with Franco, proves it’s not a story that can be summed up in 30 seconds or less.

“Yeah, it’s a pretty quirky movie,” Ruffalo said in agreement.

Quirky, but definitely interesting, especially considering Ruffalo isn’t going all redemptive with the main character, who he insists has just one such moment in the film.

Ruffalo, who will also direct the movie, didn’t comment on who Lewis was playing.

Last edited by Interconnector; January 21st, 2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

interesting. Quirky and satirical. I like the idea of it and I hope its done well.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:58 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I thinks its a bit of a stretch to assume james is no longer in the film. I'd love it if both were in the film. I just may... I mean, I might...
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:03 AM
Utterly Obsessed

He may start shooting next week! We got his working news finally
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM
Awaiting a warrior prince

*strolls in unaware*

OMG!!!!!

Orlando as a rock star? My fantasy, my dream, the subject of a fanfic in progress!

this iz Jack, Snoy's dog. I cn't tipe reel good (no thums). Butt sh's fanted! I'm shur sh'll recuver suun.
woof!
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Passionately Enthralled

^ LOL

Well... if filming is said to start next week... I wonder, if Orlando really is in this... why haven't we heard of this project much sooner? I mean, look at those films we had heard he was working on months ago... and filming keeps on being delayed... That's something I don't get.

Or it's just a small cameo appearance. Orlando dancing in a club...
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:30 AM
Dreamer

It certainly sounds interesting. Am very hopeful that this might be a goer!!

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Fantastic news!

I just hope he has a bigger part in this and not only some kind of cameo again. And I only see a big part for him if James Franco dropped out - so I keep my fingers crossed.
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Ok what's up with this? The news was reporting this about Orlando and Laura Linney last night and this morning it's been removed? Did we get excited over nothing?
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Human News Ticker

It's still on the E! website for me.
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
Passionately Enthralled

yeah I just saw that too! But google did take it off the news? I guess I'm just expecting more on this this morning What was I thinking
I'll let you Orlando sleuths do your work and I'll just sit her biting my fingernails.....toenails.......tongue.....lip..... ..um ok I'm just an axious worry wart !
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Great news! I hope so much that´s true!

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

*HOPES*

The plot sounds very interesting and I hope he's not only doing a cameo. But since it looks as if James Franco has dropped out of the project, my guess would be Orlando as a rock singer ... so he's going to sing?
We'll find out pretty soon if this project really goes off the hook - next week.

Quote:
...why haven't we heard of this project much sooner? I mean, look at those films we had heard he was working on months ago... and filming keeps on being delayed...
It could have been a last minute solution to take Orlando instead of another actor who maybe had to drop out because the project was postponed for some time. See E!online link.
In general, I don't think we hear about a lot of possible projects that Orlando might have up his sleeve or is pondering to do. Especially when such projects are in an early stage of planning. Nobody wants to spill out 'news' before everything is signed.
So I'm not that much astonished - just wondering what else Orlando might have in line ...

~ Naz ~

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ

Last edited by nazgul88; January 21st, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:28 PM
X-Ray Boxer Vision

*falls to her knees and starts praying*

I won't stop praying until it's confirmed. Oh pleaseeeee!!! I so want this to be true!!!
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Utterly Obsessed

That's going to be me for the next couple of days...weeks...
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazgul88 View Post
It could have been a last minute solution to take Orlando instead of another actor who maybe had to drop out because the project was postponed for some time. See E!online link.
~ Naz ~

Yeah... makes sense... and if James Franco dropped out and Orlando replaces him... I just googled James Franco and even though the resemblence isn't mind-blowing, there is a slight one... So it could even be true...

OMG... HOLY FREAKING MACARONI!!!! ... *wacks out* Orlando as a singer... *imagines*

If that's true, I must stock up on... pampers.
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I would personally love for both orlando and james to be in the movie. And I still think its possible. I'm sure James' part is not the only big supporting role and there are other people in the band besides the lead singer. But of course if I had to chose one or the other... well duh, orlando gets my vote
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Buried Alive by Love

hope this is true would be fantastic
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I have every thing crossed. A rock singer .well I like the sound oops of that no pun intended

sig by erendira :)
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Passionately Enthralled

LoriV from KABLOOM has confirmed this true! Now if we can find out what role he is playing.
Thanks LoriV for getting us confirmation on this!